This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2012-05-19 11:20:51

RyanJeter
Scratcher

Re: Scratch 2.0 Prototype: New Scratch Blocks

when gf clicked
repeat until <(timer) > [10]>
  go to [mouse-pointer v]
end
think [I think that Scratch 2.0 is going to be great, I loved the prototupe!!!] for (3) secs

#77 2012-05-19 11:28:00

natalie
Scratch Team

l-drago100000 wrote:

How do i use the motion sensor?

Here's a new page that helps explain how to use some of the new blocks, including video motion sensing.

Does that help?

Last edited by natalie (2012-05-19 11:28:18)

#78 2012-05-19 16:28:10

blob8108
Scratcher

When you call "create clone" from inside the "when cloned" hat, why doesn't it copy all variables/size/etc from the current clone? At the moment, it seems to keep the same position as the clone; but not some other things.

For example; coding an Asteroids game, where the meteors split into smaller fragments when you shoot them:

http://i.imgur.com/lTgyu.png

This doesn't do the intended behaviour of having the fragments get smaller each time they're shot. (You get multiple fragments, but they're all the same size.)

Is there a reason for this design?

Thanks!  smile

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#79 2012-05-19 18:04:23

PerspectiveDesigns
Scratcher

sdg1 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

Regarding cloud data: Will you eventually be able to make persistent variables and lists so that, for example, your progress in a game could be saved and loaded automatically when you play the game again?

Additionally, is it possible to have a hardcoded variable (like timer, volume, etc.) that always reports the Scratch username of the currently logged in user?  This would be extremely useful for high score lists  smile

It's great that you are thinking about a username reporting block  smile . We thought about it during our design process, and decided not to go with it, mainly for a couple of reasons.

One reason is privacy - with a username block, a Scratcher may be able to record every action that other Scratchers take on his project (for example, every click), and sometimes this can be done without the other Scratchers knowing that they are being recorded.

Another reason is that we do not want code that is specifically tailored for someone in the community - one could easily have a project that says something inappropriate for a specific user through a if block:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [sdg1]>
  be mean
else
  act normal
end
Considering these possible drawbacks, we decided not to implement the username block, though we agree with you that username blocks will make things much easier for certain type of projects.

That certainly makes sense. But there could also be a lot of problems with not having a username variable. I've been wanting to make a MMOG where people could create a (free of course XD ) account. But people could easily lie about who they are and then ruin the other persons reputation. If there was a username variable, people couldn't cheat.

"It's all fun and games until somebody loses a head."

#80 2012-05-19 20:00:22

axorion
Scratcher

Having a blue (user) object as a sensing block is an excellent idea. The argument against it is false and here is why.  Controlling behavior is always about accountability.  If someone uses the (user) object maliciously they can not hide their scripts nor their identity. Likewise, if someone contributes to cloud data they should not be allowed to do so anonymously.

There is also the issue of authors rights. If I want to use Windows 7, Microsoft has a right to know who I am. If you want to use my projects I reserve that same right. I like the fact that the users identity will be verified by the web site because it allows projects to have coding for admins. Imagine an MMO without admins. Yikes!

#81 2012-05-19 20:33:50

JoLLDS
Scratcher

easy online  big_smile

#82 2012-05-19 21:33:17

darthvader111
Scratcher

Cloning - useful for projects like Age of War!

You have to love it!

#83 2012-05-19 22:43:04

Gamemaster43211
Scratcher

You guys should have it to where we can put in videos. That way its a
1) Sprite making program
2) Animation Program
3 Game making program
4) Collab Program
5) Live interacting program
and Also it could be a Video Effects program!!

#84 2012-05-20 07:53:34

roijac
Scratcher

did you totally cancel the for loop and the counter which are in the source, or is it just made obsolete in the alpha?
sothink ftw  big_smile

#85 2012-05-20 12:55:32

nintendo100
Scratcher

When I recieve <Brodcast> 
How about that?

Last edited by nintendo100 (2012-05-20 12:56:04)

Ninjago! Nintendo! No More N words!
smile   wink   sad   wink

#86 2012-05-20 15:34:01

ZippyZak
Scratcher

wait until << gf clicked> or << I receive [Something v]> or <when I'm clicked>>>

Keep moving forward.

#87 2012-05-20 15:36:51

ZippyZak
Scratcher

PerspectiveDesigns wrote:

sdg1 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

Regarding cloud data: Will you eventually be able to make persistent variables and lists so that, for example, your progress in a game could be saved and loaded automatically when you play the game again?

Additionally, is it possible to have a hardcoded variable (like timer, volume, etc.) that always reports the Scratch username of the currently logged in user?  This would be extremely useful for high score lists  smile

It's great that you are thinking about a username reporting block  smile . We thought about it during our design process, and decided not to go with it, mainly for a couple of reasons.

One reason is privacy - with a username block, a Scratcher may be able to record every action that other Scratchers take on his project (for example, every click), and sometimes this can be done without the other Scratchers knowing that they are being recorded.

Another reason is that we do not want code that is specifically tailored for someone in the community - one could easily have a project that says something inappropriate for a specific user through a if block:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [sdg1]>
  be mean
else
  act normal
end
Considering these possible drawbacks, we decided not to implement the username block, though we agree with you that username blocks will make things much easier for certain type of projects.

That certainly makes sense. But there could also be a lot of problems with not having a username variable. I've been wanting to make a MMOG where people could create a (free of course XD ) account. But people could easily lie about who they are and then ruin the other persons reputation. If there was a username variable, people couldn't cheat.

I'm working on an mmorpg too!

Keep moving forward.

#88 2012-05-20 15:42:36

ZippyZak
Scratcher

Move veritable [veritable v] to x:(0) y:(0)

Keep moving forward.

#89 2012-05-20 17:19:34

KyleK7
Scratcher

sdg1 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [sdg1]>
  be mean
else
  act normal
end

I've got an idea. Each Scratch user would be assigned a number, and that number would be their Game Identification Number. (GI# for short) There would be a block that would look like this:

ask for GI#
Nobody else except the user who was assigned the GI# would know what the user's GI# was. When asked what his/her GI# was, the user would simply enter it, and it would go straight to the Scratch database, and not even the project creator would know who the user was or what his/her GI# was. In the Scratch database the GI# would be translated into a user, and the user would show up on the high score list.

http://i46.tinypic.com/zwxnhh.gif

#90 2012-05-20 20:06:57

christian2000
Scratcher

TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE WORRYING ABOUT THE username block heres and idea:

Instead of automaticly adding names to a highscore list, the users, (if they get a high score) can just put 3 initials like in arcade games. Example, i get high score, so i put C20 there. nyan the lesser (my alt) can be NTL

blerp......
http://obscureinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/Fail-at-Life-Funny-Cards.png

#91 2012-05-20 20:51:29

samurai768
Scratcher

While I was experimenting with the motion sensing, I thought that it would be awesome to have a block like (video (x-position) on (stage)) and then y-position too. That way you could have motion sensing menus and cursor to follow  big_smile

#92 2012-05-20 21:46:22

Iamthetoaster
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

Mokat wrote:

samurai768 wrote:

There needs to be a hide show list block! I just noticed it still wasn't there  tongue  Sorry if someone already said that  roll

+ OVA 9000

You can choose lists from the show/hide variable blocks to show/hide them.  smile

I think they mean a block you can have in a game, like an inventory.

#93 2012-05-20 21:57:50

zubblewu
Scratcher

KyleK7 wrote:

sdg1 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [sdg1]>
  be mean
else
  act normal
end

I've got an idea. Each Scratch user would be assigned a number, and that number would be their Game Identification Number. (GI# for short) There would be a block that would look like this:

ask for GI#
Nobody else except the user who was assigned the GI# would know what the user's GI# was. When asked what his/her GI# was, the user would simply enter it, and it would go straight to the Scratch database, and not even the project creator would know who the user was or what his/her GI# was. In the Scratch database the GI# would be translated into a user, and the user would show up on the high score list.

That would be a great idea! Support!

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#94 2012-05-20 23:31:33

mario90007
Scratcher

[scratchblocks]
when gf clicked
if <(username)> = [finnbinn90007]
  go to [scratch]

#95 2012-05-21 00:07:47

thebriculator
Scratcher

mario90007 wrote:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [finnbinn90007]>
  go to [scratch]

Fixed!

Edit: 99th post!

Last edited by thebriculator (2012-05-21 00:08:09)

.     http://tiny.cc/2cwgpw    http://tiny.cc/viwgpw    http://tiny.cc/iwwgpw

#96 2012-05-21 11:46:11

elcreeper
Scratcher

[blocks]
<{username block}>
[/blocks]
would be usefull though if it was used like this:
[blocks]
<when green flag clicked>
<if ((<{username}><=>[sdg1]
be nice
end
[/blocks]
if there were no "be maean blocks' and the make your your own blocks could be monitered and if a "be mean block was detected it would be termenated by the scratch team and if it was labeled "be nice" or something else besides "be mean" they would look at the "define" block and chaeck the blocks difinition we could have [blocks]<{username}>[/blocks]
oh and add a [blocks] <say nothing> [/blocks] block and a [blocks] <generate comp. voice saying : [ ]>

#97 2012-05-21 11:50:28

mrpark1011
New Scratcher

When making custom blocks, will there be parameter passing and reporting? (Functions and procedures?)

#98 2012-05-21 18:13:42

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

Will I be able to store variables on my own cloud?

Also, would it be possible to get x and y positions of video head, arms, head, legs, and feet etc;?

Last edited by LiquidMetal (2012-05-21 18:17:19)

#99 2012-05-21 18:18:57

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

elcreeper wrote:

oh and add a [blocks] <say nothing> [/blocks] block and a [blocks] <generate comp. voice saying : [ ]>

how about, instead of the say nothing block, make a
[be quiet] block.  On the other hand, with the custom blocks feature, you can do it very easily!

#100 2012-05-21 19:41:11

rainbowkitty777
Scratcher

Most of the features are great. HOWEVER, there are some bugs that need to be fixed. (One is that sprites will not follow/are glitchly following commands such as:

when gf clicked
if <video motion on [this spirite v] > [0] >
forever
play sound [pop v] until done
end

Board footer