This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-05-17 11:13:07

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Re: Scratch 2.0 Prototype: New Scratch Blocks

Oh great, now we won't even be able to have a highscores list without someone trolling over it, unless you only include the score and not the name.

Why

#27 2012-05-17 11:15:20

johnm
Scratcher

slayerrobe7 wrote:

how do u make a bllock with inputs

First make a block, then shift-click on the hat block and choose
"edit procedure name and parameters"

#28 2012-05-17 11:27:36

pent9
Scratcher

This is really great, but somewhat dissapointing. There are still no hide/show list blocks, or hide/show mouse blocks. I don't need to hide the mouse, that would only be for replacing it with a different design, but hiding and showing lists means the world to me.

Let's just see how many internets I can get...
http://internetometer.com/image/21518.png

#29 2012-05-17 11:58:46

cstem
New Scratcher

The Make Block allows you to create parameters that are number, string or boolean. Fantastic!  I can display a boolean parameter using Say and it shows True and False. But the boolean variable is shaped like a number (not angular shaped) and so can not be used inside the block as a boolean. Is this just a bug?

#30 2012-05-17 12:02:38

bluecat600
Scratcher

I love the cloning block!

I gaze off into the boundless skyline, noteblock choirs playin in the sunshine, turn round pick up my sword and wield the blade that once forced evil mobs to yield, if this battle shall leave me slain, I know Herobrine still calls my name, better just take a stand, that was when I ruled the land.

#31 2012-05-17 12:24:25

nxsupert
Scratcher

when we get cloud variables there might be a massive race to make a mmog.

I am Back!

#32 2012-05-17 14:19:30

johnm
Scratcher

pent9 wrote:

This is really great, but somewhat dissapointing. There are still no hide/show list blocks, or hide/show mouse blocks. I don't need to hide the mouse, that would only be for replacing it with a different design, but hiding and showing lists means the world to me.

Lists now appear in the "hide varilable/show variable" blocks, so you can use those blocks to hide and show lists.

#33 2012-05-17 14:22:11

scimonster
Community Moderator

johnm wrote:

pent9 wrote:

Lists now appear in the "hide varilable/show variable" blocks, so you can use those blocks to hide and show lists.

Oh.  big_smile
Updating wiki...  tongue

Last edited by scimonster (2012-05-17 14:22:23)

#34 2012-05-17 14:26:10

BoltBait
Scratcher

Regarding cloud data:

If we do not have access to the currently logged in user's name, we can't make an accurate high score table for our games.

We will have to prompt for a username and the user will be able to respond with anything... even inappropriate words.  Who gets the blame when those show up in the highscore table?

You, seriously, need to rethink this.

EDIT:

Here is a potential solution for you.

If a project wants to access a user's name, perhaps Scratch could prompt the user for access.  Something like "This project would like to know your username.  Allow access to this information?  [YES] [no]"

If the YES button is clicked the USERNAME block contains the username.  If the NO button is clicked the USERNAME block is empty.

Last edited by BoltBait (2012-05-17 14:37:06)

Animated sigs must be banned!
http://boltbait.com/j.pnghttp://boltbait.com/s.pnghttp://boltbait.com/d.pnghttp://boltbait.com/a.pnghttp://boltbait.com/p.png

#35 2012-05-17 14:40:04

johnm
Scratcher

cstem wrote:

The Make Block allows you to create parameters that are number, string or boolean. Fantastic!  I can display a boolean parameter using Say and it shows True and False. But the boolean variable is shaped like a number (not angular shaped) and so can not be used inside the block as a boolean. Is this just a bug?

As in Scratch 1.4, variable reporter blocks are not shaped like a booleans because variables store values of any type, including numbers and strings. You can use the "=" to check if a variable is, for example, the number "1", and put the "=" block into a boolean parameter slot in, say, an "if" block.

This may seem inconvenient, especially if you're used boolean variables in other programming languages. One could have Scratch convert numbers and strings into booleans automatically. For example, the number 0 might mean false and all other numbers true. Unfortunately, strings are more tricky because Scratch is multilingual. People might expect the words "true" and "false" in their own language to be converted to true and false boolean values. For example, a Norwegian might use the string "ekte" to mean "true", but a Japanese Scratch user reading that script would probably not know that "ekte" meant "true". In addition, the meaning of a script could change as new language translations were added. Today "ekte" might mean "false" tomorrow, after adding the Norwegian translation, it would mean "true".

Although it makes some scripts slightly more verbose, the current design is at least well-defined and language independent. But we'll continue to think about this issue.

Last edited by johnm (2012-05-17 14:59:09)

#36 2012-05-17 14:40:44

Prestige
Scratcher

Dinoclor wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

Regarding cloud data: Will you eventually be able to make persistent variables and lists so that, for example, your progress in a game could be saved and loaded automatically when you play the game again?

Additionally, is it possible to have a hardcoded variable (like timer, volume, etc.) that always reports the Scratch username of the currently logged in user?  This would be extremely useful for high score lists  smile

Probably not, because cloud variables are the same for everyone.

Well, there are methods. If you'd like you can check out the coding here on global high scores. With cloud variables, what it does is create an ordered global high score leader board - you have your own profile by entering your scratch user name and it saves your score to the leader board. The only issue here is if someone uses another's user name and basically pretends to be them. This can be prevented though by locking a username once it's been added, but that's a hassle. I wish 2.0 had a (username) block like an (answer) block - if the user was logged in then it sets it to their username, if not it could use "guest". Then the project could use the username, eg say hello (username) for 2 secs.

If you think this could be useful, please vote here for global leader boards in 2.0!  big_smile

"Don't insult someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, if they don't like what you have to say, you'll be a mile away and still have their shoes  smile  "

#37 2012-05-17 15:13:10

roijac
Scratcher

did you remove the 'stamp transparent' completely or just from public alpha?

#38 2012-05-17 16:01:29

Iamthetoaster
Scratcher

when gf clicked
if <touching color [clr] of [sprite 1 v]>
  do whatever.
end
I would find this block extremely useful for a game I'm making. Thanks!

-Iamthetoaster

ps.
how do you make the block thing show a color?

Last edited by Iamthetoaster (2012-05-17 16:03:58)

#39 2012-05-17 16:06:14

mariobrosrule
Scratcher

Okay, the Clone functions. There should be a block that says (delete self when [off screen, etc])

Otherwise, it'll cause major lag if they aren't deleted.

#40 2012-05-17 16:14:43

Marblypup
New Scratcher

Thanks for the info, johnm, on how to add inputs to custom blocks.
I've just written a script that draws a Hilbert curve. It's a pity I can't share it.

#41 2012-05-17 16:27:01

Lluukkee
Scratcher

New blocks suggestion:

(pitch)
change pitch to <10>
change pitch by <10>
etc.

#42 2012-05-17 16:40:31

LS97
Scratcher

May I propose a solution to the privacy problem of username reporters?

As BoltBait also suggested, the program should prompt the user for confirmation of allowing the script to use its username, but only when this is inserted inside a set variable block (of any kind, to avoid workarounds).

This way it won't disturb simple friendly actions such as say [username] but will keep the user's privacy. What do you think? Problems? Advantages?

#43 2012-05-17 16:47:12

sdg1
Scratch Team

BoltBait wrote:

Regarding cloud data:

If we do not have access to the currently logged in user's name, we can't make an accurate high score table for our games.

We will have to prompt for a username and the user will be able to respond with anything... even inappropriate words.  Who gets the blame when those show up in the highscore table?

You, seriously, need to rethink this.

EDIT:

Here is a potential solution for you.

If a project wants to access a user's name, perhaps Scratch could prompt the user for access.  Something like "This project would like to know your username.  Allow access to this information?  [YES] [no]"

If the YES button is clicked the USERNAME block contains the username.  If the NO button is clicked the USERNAME block is empty.

Thanks for this suggestion - we have thought about this as a possible solution, and we feel that it may be confusing for new Scratchers who may not know what Cloud data, etc are. We have thought of another block, which reports back an unique value for a specific username for a specific project (so you don't get to know who the user is, but can identify the user when he revisits your project). But again, that may be confusing as well. We are still thinking about this, and if you have more ideas, please do share with us  smile .

#44 2012-05-17 18:34:18

samurai768
Scratcher

There needs to be a hide show list block! I just noticed it still wasn't there  tongue  Sorry if someone already said that  roll

#45 2012-05-17 18:42:30

Mokat
Scratcher

samurai768 wrote:

There needs to be a hide show list block! I just noticed it still wasn't there  tongue  Sorry if someone already said that  roll

+ OVA 9000

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#46 2012-05-17 18:46:45

slayerrobe7
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

samurai768 wrote:

+ OVA 9000

they have said that list arent well implemented yet they will probably add that later

!!!When it comes to Scratch2.0 I am totally like freaking out!!!

#47 2012-05-17 19:01:20

Squawkers13
Scratcher

sdg1 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

Regarding cloud data: Will you eventually be able to make persistent variables and lists so that, for example, your progress in a game could be saved and loaded automatically when you play the game again?

Additionally, is it possible to have a hardcoded variable (like timer, volume, etc.) that always reports the Scratch username of the currently logged in user?  This would be extremely useful for high score lists  smile

It's great that you are thinking about a username reporting block  smile . We thought about it during our design process, and decided not to go with it, mainly for a couple of reasons.

One reason is privacy - with a username block, a Scratcher may be able to record every action that other Scratchers take on his project (for example, every click), and sometimes this can be done without the other Scratchers knowing that they are being recorded.

Another reason is that we do not want code that is specifically tailored for someone in the community - one could easily have a project that says something inappropriate for a specific user through a if block:

when gf clicked
if <(username) = [sdg1]>
  be mean
else
  act normal
end
Considering these possible drawbacks, we decided not to implement the username block, though we agree with you that username blocks will make things much easier for certain type of projects.

Why not a account verification block that forces you to use variables?

http://pekkit.net/banners/pekkit.png

#48 2012-05-17 19:31:04

jji7skyline
Scratcher

I'm interested in how the video sensing will detect movement in different areas of the stage. I expected it to draw a frame difference thing in a background layer, and for sprites  to detect that, but it seems it's more like a value that detects how much movement is going on in the whole stage?

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#49 2012-05-17 19:43:11

redware
Scratcher

randomgamemaker wrote:

It may just be my computer, but when I tried video [motion] on [stage] a dialog box came up asking if scratch could have access to a camera. But when I clicked yes, nothing happened, and when I clicked no nothing happened. So now the page is frozen.

I got the video to work on my machine by clicking the VIEW INSIDE button..... I was not able to click in the adobe air dialog normally but it worked fine when I viewed inside....

Last edited by redware (2012-05-17 19:45:39)

#50 2012-05-17 20:00:10

Mokat
Scratcher

redware wrote:

randomgamemaker wrote:

It may just be my computer, but when I tried video [motion] on [stage] a dialog box came up asking if scratch could have access to a camera. But when I clicked yes, nothing happened, and when I clicked no nothing happened. So now the page is frozen.

I got the video to work on my machine by clicking the VIEW INSIDE button..... I was not able to click in the adobe air dialog normally but it worked fine when I viewed inside....

The video for me showed what was on TV right then. Weird.

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

Board footer