This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-07-18 05:39:18

Dave911
Scratcher

Messaging System

With the creation of the administrator messaging system (where you are told when people comment on your projects or your themes) I was wondering whether a inter-person messaging scheme could be established where you could send private messages through Scratch. This would aid the social abilities of Scratch and allow users to send information to other people privately.

What are peoples thoughts and is this possible?

#2 2007-07-18 12:36:48

vikaros
Scratcher

Re: Messaging System

That's a tough one.  I like communication being public, as it really forces people to consider what they say, given the context of how others might feel/respond.  That said, in the best of cases there is great potential to collaborate privately, but I fear that might be the exception rather than the rule. 

There are also privacy/safety concerns to keep in mind.

#3 2007-07-18 12:53:24

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Yes, it is possible to add this feature but I am (almost) sure we are not going to add private communication because a lot of our members are minors.

That would open yet another concern for parents and educators that are worried about what kids see and do on the Scratch website.

We already have a lot of work trying to monitor public communication (comments, tags, projects) !

In addition, I cannot think of many reasons of what private messaging would offer that current public messaging doesn't offer other the "annoyance" of seeing many comments or posts of people engaging in one-to-one communication.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#4 2007-08-23 08:39:49

ScipioBellorum
Scratcher

I have a way to solve this problem:
1. Make a new section of the forum called 'Messages', anyone can go there and leave a message for another member.
2. When members log in they are told there is a message wiating for them (or you can just ask people to check that section regularly).
3. Anyone can see any message so it is still public but members should be discouraged from reply to other people's messages.

This way they are not 'Private Messages' but it means you can talk to someone without having everyone else commenting.

SB

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/339/logory8.png
                      The word processor for Scratch

#5 2007-12-05 21:28:08

YoSup
Scratcher

Cool PONG game! http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/YoSup/61187 please check it out. I think it;s a great game. Has a lot of views. It's not like the other pong games.

#6 2007-12-06 13:28:56

JSO
Community Moderator

Here's my oppinion: If you post on someone elses project, there is a chance that that user responds to that post. And: when you want to ask someting to one specific user, what is the best solution??? Posting on one of its projects? I think the project comments have to be about the project, not the user.

I have tought ove a few solutions:

(1) A "keep in mind" option on the My Stuff page, where you can add projects (with a maximum of 10?). When a post is placed on
    one of that projects, you will receive a message. Allowing galleries in this option also is an idea.

(2) (Automatically) Adding a message-project on each/your user page. This is  a place to add messages. For example:
     My messaging Center

I hope one of these is usefull!

Joren

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#7 2007-12-06 14:27:12

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

YoSup: please post your message on the Show and Tell forum. Thanks

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

Board footer