This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-04-27 03:25:14

Shadowed1
Scratcher

Why Scratch is now completely messed up.

I can't go 2 seconds without seeing another completely useless project. I mean, most projects that are on the front page at the moment are minecraft videos, colouring competitions (hint: you click the fill button) and rushed, sloppy projects.

Scratch is supposed to be about making GAMES and PUTTING HARD WORK INTO THEM so they get appreciated. So few people now are making quality games (in comparison to the number of people that are making utterly useless projects) that I feel seriously demotivated about working on another project.

Scratch's motto is "imagine, program, share". If you're planning on making a half-decent project, you have to IMAGINE the idea and put at least a few scripts in it i.e. PROGRAMMING. To imagine something it has to be ORIGINAL. I swear, there are at least 50,000 projects that are colouring in competitions.

Actually, the projects on the front page at the moment are slightly better compared to what I usually see, but nonetheless still filled with useless junk. But seriously, if you are going to post a project, at least put a reasonable amount of time into it and be different from the norm.

To fix this, curators have to choose projects that are QUALITY projects, not some half-baked project from some random out there. If you get front paged, you should have to WORK FOR IT.

Also, if you are posting a project to be featured: 1. Check that that project is not made by yourself and 2. Check that the project is WORTH FEATURING. And if you are the moderator featuring the project, check the project before you feature it.

On a side note: GET RID OF THE TOP REMIXED LINE ON THE FRONT PAGE. IT IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND NOT BEING USED FOR THE INTENTION IT WAS BEING USED FOR I.E. PROJECTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE.

In conclusion, Scratch is now a horrible mess. I can't believe that the 1% of people who post constructive and fun projects are being overridden by the 99% of people who don't have the patience to work on the project before they share it. I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

~Shadowed1

*Insert some witty, funny or sarcastic comment here*

#2 2012-04-27 05:19:18

sparks
Community Moderator

Re: Why Scratch is now completely messed up.

...So... Wait! There's a FILL BUTTON?!

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#3 2012-04-27 06:11:38

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Since Scratch is designed for beginning programmers and children (some of them very young), it's not surprising that a number of the projects are quite simple.  And that's a good thing - we want people to feel free to learn and explore without reservation.  Even the simple remix projects like "Add yourself..." help people learn to use the computer and share their ideas with like-minded people.

This is not to say that we don't also see some very complex and well-crafted projects on the site as well - but they are always going to be outnumbered by the beginners. 

Please do not confuse the goals of the project:  Scratch is not "supposed to be about making games and putting hard work into them".  Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.  I suggest you find Scratchers with similar interests and have fun with them and worry less about what the front page is showing  smile

Now, since this doesn't really seem to be a Question about Scratch, I'm moving it to Suggestions.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#4 2012-04-27 07:25:05

Unite
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Since Scratch is designed for beginning programmers and children (some of them very young), it's not surprising that a number of the projects are quite simple.  And that's a good thing - we want people to feel free to learn and explore without reservation.  Even the simple remix projects like "Add yourself..." help people learn to use the computer and share their ideas with like-minded people.

This is not to say that we don't also see some very complex and well-crafted projects on the site as well - but they are always going to be outnumbered by the beginners. 

Please do not confuse the goals of the project:  Scratch is not "supposed to be about making games and putting hard work into them".  Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.  I suggest you find Scratchers with similar interests and have fun with them and worry less about what the front page is showing  smile

Now, since this doesn't really seem to be a Question about Scratch, I'm moving it to Suggestions.

agreed. its like the population of scratchers. there are more new scratchers then full scratchers. that's because every month more scratchers join then the amount of new scratchers turning into full scratchers. You have to except that some people might not be as good as a scratcher as you. Im good at art, but when I have to do art in school, I don't go around saying that people shouldn't make art because it isn't as good as other people's, like mine. I except that some other people might not be as smart as me or most of the time I have to except that people ARE smarter then me. Just like size and shape. its okay if you staart off rough, there are always ways you can learn. I hope this helped with this.  big_smile

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p570/bolemis/31023108819264274478797.gif

#5 2012-04-27 09:03:43

Mokat
Scratcher

Unite wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

agreed. its like the population of scratchers. there are more new scratchers then full scratchers. that's because every month more scratchers join then the amount of new scratchers turning into full scratchers. You have to except that some people might not be as good as a scratcher as you. Im good at art, but when I have to do art in school, I don't go around saying that people shouldn't make art because it isn't as good as other people's, like mine. I except that some other people might not be as smart as me or most of the time I have to except that people ARE smarter then me. Just like size and shape. its okay if you staart off rough, there are always ways you can learn. I hope this helped with this.  big_smile

I agree with Paddle2See and Unite. Take a look at my first project! It's very simple! I think that this idea is taking it a step too far. If I told you that you couldn't make projects anymore because they're horrible, how would you feel? This is pretty much just telling New Scratchers that they aren't allowed to learn. Making projects is part of learning! If you don't learn, the world gets nowhere! I believe that everyone's first project is pretty much rubbish, but you can see the projects getting better as you go along! It's because we're learning! We've developed more programming skills along the way!

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#6 2012-04-27 09:32:32

G0D_M0D3
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

Unite wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree with Paddle2See and Unite. Take a look at my first project! It's very simple! I think that this idea is taking it a step too far. If I told you that you couldn't make projects anymore because they're horrible, how would you feel? This is pretty much just telling New Scratchers that they aren't allowed to learn. Making projects is part of learning! If you don't learn, the world gets nowhere! I believe that everyone's first project is pretty much rubbish, but you can see the projects getting better as you go along! It's because we're learning! We've developed more programming skills along the way!

I started scratch when RHY joined. His first project was him messing around with the mic and pen blocks. He deleted it, but I'm pretty sure I have it saved somewhere...

Anyways, RHY got really good. All of his first projects were rubbish. He learned, and you have to give people a chance.

I made a MC texture pack! Get it at planetminecraft!
http://i.imgur.com/0EG0u.png

#7 2012-04-27 13:22:47

Atmospheric
New Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Paddle2See is correct. Scratch is a graphical way for young children/adults to learn basic programming skills, and to move on once they known these skills. The basic goal of scratch is to help beginners to learn, simple computer and programming skills and not to earn fame either.

#8 2012-04-27 14:04:27

Andres-Vander
Scratcher

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

Anyways, RHY got really good. All of his first projects were rubbish. He learned, and you have to give people a chance.

They were still much better than everything else, even today

Also you joined in 2011, he was here in 2009

Last edited by Andres-Vander (2012-04-27 14:06:37)

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2260823/flugelhorn-feline-o.gif

#9 2012-04-29 04:55:52

joem789
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

Unite wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree with Paddle2See, Mokat and Unite, you all are saying that its about learning. You learn what to do with your next project. Scratch is all about learning to program and making new projects. We develop more programming skills along the way!

However, I do understand that the 'What the community is remixing' bar no longer shows anything new, its practically everything that was featured last week, just uploaded by someone else. I think anyone should be able to download any project (which we can) but then when others upload, the original maker should have to approve it. If it isn't approved they should fill a very basic form, where the original maker makes a short statement telling the remixer why they did not approve it.

#10 2012-04-29 06:21:23

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

He might have had a different account.  I know I did, I've actually been around Scratch since '07, but this account is from '10.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#11 2012-04-29 08:29:16

Mokat
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

He might have had a different account.  I know I did, I've actually been around Scratch since '07, but this account is from '10.

What was your first account?

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#12 2012-05-06 18:19:52

berberberber
Scratcher

SOMEBODY is famous!

by the way, I HAVE FURY!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2iaa73k.png

#13 2012-05-06 18:54:57

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

Actually, I remember him saying he's owetre18 who joined like two and a half years ago if I remember correctly.

Why

#14 2012-05-06 19:47:26

Mokat
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

Actually, I remember him saying he's owetre18 who joined like two and a half years ago if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah

#15 2012-05-07 00:15:02

Agentpieface
Scratcher

The people like what they like.
And the stuff about curators and featured projects you suggested are all things that are already done.

It is the top viewed and top loved that you're talking about, right? Maybe try to think of a solution to this problem? :)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr7fywSZAG1qfj8fq.gif

#16 2012-05-08 04:35:17

trinary
Scratcher

Every experienced Scratcher was a beginner at some point.

http://trinary.tk/images/signature_.php

#17 2012-05-08 16:34:58

Andres-Vander
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

I know, I just added something so it didn't look like I edited for no reason

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2260823/flugelhorn-feline-o.gif

#18 2012-05-09 15:52:35

Agentpieface
Scratcher

Shadowed1 wrote:

I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

let me just take some things from the scratch community guidelines

Be respectful. When sharing projects or posting comments, remember that people of many different ages and backgrounds will see your contributions.

Offer constructive comments. Instead of just criticizing a project or forum post, say what you like about it and offer suggestions on how to make it better.

so, people ranging from little kids to grandparents are on this site.

if you expect 100 script wonder games from all of them, go and join newgrounds.

the purpose on scratch is to teach young ones basic programming and let our creativity flow.

Last edited by Agentpieface (2012-05-09 15:53:39)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr7fywSZAG1qfj8fq.gif

#19 2012-05-09 16:00:05

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Agentpieface wrote:

Shadowed1 wrote:

I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

Be respectful. When sharing projects or posting comments, remember that people of many different ages and backgrounds will see your contributions.

Offer constructive comments. Instead of just criticizing a project or forum post, say what you like about it and offer suggestions on how to make it better.

the purpose on scratch is to teach young ones basic programming and let our creativity flow.

That last bit would make an awesome motto.

Scratch: where you can let your creativity flow

(Sorry, that was extremely random)

Why

#20 2012-05-19 08:40:29

Mokat
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

Agentpieface wrote:

Shadowed1 wrote:

That last bit would make an awesome motto.

Scratch: where you can let your creativity flow

(Sorry, that was extremely random)

That would make a nice motto, but I still like Imagine Program Share

#21 2012-05-22 18:31:00

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Who said scratch was for games? And stating that something is rubbish cannot be proven so it must be an opinion.

#22 2012-05-22 19:50:55

Haiming
Scratcher

Let's take a look at your projects...

#23 2012-05-22 20:39:59

TorbyFork234
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

Unite wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I disagree with the (now) red part. Almost all of the scratchers who have seen my projects think that my first one is the best. But everything else I agree with.

Haiming wrote:

Let's take a look at your projects...

Don't start a fight here...

#24 2012-05-23 13:20:34

Leo_the_Lion
Scratcher

Now, not that I support Shadowed1's point, but I think you're all putting words in his mouth. Shadowed1 said nothing about new scratchers and how their first projects are usually garbage. In fact, he never insinuated that the people he was talking about were new scratchers. Of course, I strongly disagree with the idea that "Scratch is for making games and putting effort into them," and yet, I understand what he's talking about. I'm not the best scratcher myself, nor am I the worst, but I agree that Scratch is seeing many many MANY users who's projects consist of coloring projects and just... pictures. Not plural, actually. A picture. I have nothing against artists, but... when I go to check out someone's projects, I'm looking for something a little different from... pictures of warrior cats. Nothing against warrior cats, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that series is amazing. I'm not suggesting that there are TOO MANY warrior cat drawings on scratch, or that these artists should quit scratching. No, I don't think that in the least. But my points in this post are:

1: For the love of Scratch, stop putting words in his mouth.
2: Try moving projects, maybe animation is your thing, if games aren't.
3: No hate on warrior cats.
4: New scratchers DO deserve the right to have rubbish projects, but Shadow never said anything about that so FOR THE LOVE OF SCRATCH STOP PUTTING WORDS IN HIS MOUTH!

Sorry, got carried away there.

#25 2012-05-23 14:20:41

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

I've posted maybe 2 pointless projects, but I never meant them to be that way, and I usually delete them. I agree with you, how people never work hard, yet stil get 100s of views while hard-workers who make good games or whatever are sitting there getting a view a day.

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

Board footer