This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2007-06-22 15:06:28

bigB
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Plagiarism

how about if you download a project make a change and upload it it says underneath the project:
'projectname' by 'origional creator name' edited by ' new creator name'.
so that people can see the origional creator but still see that the changes were made by someone else.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bigB/260981 Draw to Text
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bigB/181829 3D Stunt Flyer

#52 2007-06-22 15:16:18

Larry828
Scratcher

Good point about the Galleries, HoboPrimate.  The Galleries are still pretty new territory to me.  I scanned pages and pages of them the other night and they do ask people with similar interests or projects to submit their own projects.  But when you look at pages and pages of them they seem pretty random.  More than a few invite NEW users to submit their first efforts...  More than a few invite GAMERS to submit games, or improvements to games...  So there's lots of repetition and overlap.

If the Scratch Team set up several Groups systematically maybe it would be easier for people to find each other.  Then they could move on out to whatever Galleries interest them. 

But other Members have expressed interesting ideas about improving the Galleries elsewhere in the Forums, so I'll leave it to everybody to pursue this topic with those folks. 

I guess I'm still back at the beginning of the Plagiarism topic: wondering exactly how I would suffer if someone copied my work.  If you're not in SCHOOL your grade can't suffer.  If you're not submitting Scratch projects for advancement at WORK, then your position can't suffer.  If you're not hoping to SELL your Scratch project for thousands of dollars then your bank account can't suffer.  It would be unpleasant to see someone else's name on a project I had uploaded, but how much time and effort should I devote to feeling bad or chasing the plagiarist??

The worst thing that could happen to the Scratch community wouldn't be rampant copying.  It would be discovering that Scratch isn't really fun enough or creative enough to hold peoples' interest over a long period of time.   That's why I hope the Scratch Team and the Members will concentrate on *enhancing* the whole Scratch environment rather than policing it.

BTW, if someone *did* copy my work I guess I might write a polite comment to them asking them to credit me in the future and urging them to trust their own creativity. There's not much point in my doing anything more than that....   :-)

#53 2007-06-23 00:07:50

DrJim
Scratcher

Larry828 wrote:

That's why I hope the Scratch Team and the Members will concentrate on *enhancing* the whole Scratch environment rather than policing it.

I for one couldn't agree more.

BTW, if someone *did* copy my work ....

In more than one case in my own career - what I actually did was have a very good laugh - since they copied the entire design, errors and all.
It's not hard to just copy - it can be difficult to figure out exactly what to copy.  In fact, it's usually easier in the long run to just figure it out for yourself.

#54 2007-06-23 02:54:57

mohlar
Scratcher

DrJim wrote:

It's not hard to just copy - it can be difficult to figure out exactly what to copy.

Wow! That takes me back to when I was a teacher. It's almost exactly what I used to say to my classes, usually after identifying and highlighting an example of copying. ("How do you know what to copy if you don't know what's right?")

I always had a reputation for being a bit sneaky at times and I recall one exercise in which I had pupils sitting opposite each other in a maths test. I knew 3 or 4 of them would try to copy, so I designed the task sheet in such a way that a high proportion of answers consisted of the digits 0 1 6 8 or 9 which, of course, when viewed upside down look like 0 1 9 8 or 6.  The 'switching' 6 and 9 pinpointed the copiers in an instant as they blithely thanked their stars when they saw an upside down answer that didn't need any effort to interpret. I salted the test with so many questions where answers included a 6 or 9 that the copiers identified themselves!

#55 2007-06-23 03:21:10

Mayhem
Scratcher

Not really scratch related, but in my classroom the individual children almost always generate random or personal numbers in numeracy so that copying isn't even an option.

So when they are doing an excercise in which they *could* copy, it rarely occurs to them  big_smile

Relating that to scratch, I suppose really we need to foster an environment in which copying for copying's sake just isn't rewarding.

Don't berate folk, just put a polite comment under their project saying "This project seems very similar to this one (link), did you use their code?"

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#56 2007-06-29 16:29:38

MrWhiskers
Scratcher

w

#57 2007-07-04 14:40:00

leon2323
Scratcher

I personally find copyright very important.  It means that we all get to control how our work is distributed.  However, I prefer free licensing.  Currently, all Scratch projects are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.  This means that you can share and remix work as long as you say who made it and you use the same license.  I think that it would be better if it is possible to license your project under a different license (for example, releasing it to the Public Domain or using a GNU license).  I think that this will help the distribution of projects and the control of plagiarism.

#58 2007-07-04 17:51:26

HoboPrimate
Scratcher

Actually, Richard Stallman has said that his purpose for creating the GPL was to lawfully subvert copyright (the original reason for naming it a "copyleft license"), which he saw starting to be applied to software in the early 80's (one of the main pushers of that was Bill Gates. It did well to him).

I think restrictive copyright laws and licenses for published works made sense when publishing them was a costly thing, but now it makes sense to diminish those restrictions in areas where that isn't the case anymore (like digital publishing and copying).

Anyway, regarding plagiarism, I think that what scratch has right now is enough: It is possible to shift-click on Extras, and get a summary of all previous versions of a scratch program. It is also possible to view the date of when was a project submitted to this site. With these two, it's pretty easy for someone to assert original credit.

#59 2007-07-06 16:22:53

science3
Scratcher

smile

#60 2007-07-07 14:05:01

Llamalover
Scratcher

Llamalover wrote:

What can I do when someone copies my project outright and doesn't even vaguely credit it to me?
Lucarirox4 copied my project 'racing car game' (http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Llamalover/14520) at
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Lucariox4/16434, someone please look!

Be nice, I'm an old lady  wink

#61 2007-07-07 14:55:45

Mayhem
Scratcher

Put "copy" in the tag box, and put a message in their comments pointing out to viewers where the original can be found.

You could try reporting it as inappropriate, but I don't know if that would meet the approval of the moderators.  Mind you, if enough people reported it, it would get auto-banned, at least temporarily.

Is "uncredited copying" a sufficient reason for a report?

Last edited by Mayhem (2007-07-07 14:56:11)

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#62 2007-07-08 07:21:32

Llamalover
Scratcher

Thanks

Be nice, I'm an old lady  wink

#63 2007-07-08 20:44:44

Larry828
Scratcher

Greatness wrote:

I think Plagerism is a problem. My projects haven't been plagerised yet, and I hope they aren't.
I think people just need to be more honest and at LEAST give credit to the original creator.

One detail makes it more difficult to credit the original author:

I made a few script changes to a project called "target_practice" by KSMscratchers.  I left a Comment for them saying what I had done and asking if they'd mind if I uploaded my changed version.  They said fine!

I clicked on the PROJECT NOTES of my version and by default my name was listed as the author.   So I changed it to read "KSMscratchers (with script mods by Larry828)"

Guess what?  As soon as you CLOSE the new project notes, the Author line is CHANGED RIGHT BACK TO THE YOUR OWN NAME.

I tried several times to make the changed author attribution stick, but it never would. So I was forced to confine the attribution to space WITHIN the Project Notes.
-----------------------
Of course, this might be a safety factor:  otherwise I could upload anything and attribute it to ANYBODY.

BUT, it would still be listed at my "MY STUFF" page because the Upload form requires that it go to my account.
------------------------
What do people think?  Would it be useful to be able to keep the original author's name on the Author line?  And then add a phrase like "script mods by Larry828" ??

#64 2007-07-15 17:49:04

Babygirl
Scratcher

i believe we can only post games if we alter them

i am polite and young  and i don't like rude , inaproipiate, offensive, ect. ect. projects or pictures or even comments i like 2 think of the children on scratch so plz think of the kids as well
cool

#65 2007-08-05 06:40:15

YAYALEC
Scratcher

I hear you  someone just recently took my game and changed the backround

Smile likes to be happy. Smile also likes domination. Copy this message onto your signature and this Smile: =-). To help him Dominate the forums.

#66 2007-08-07 14:09:26

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

This new feature is related to this topic. http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1235

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#67 2007-08-13 16:52:32

Vanslar
Scratcher

ok jamie, chill! first off, your scripts are totally different!!!!  it is possible that you two simply used the same starter project, so it looks a bit the same!!! when i downloaded them they both had scripts from Johnm's pong, the starter most ppl use.

I am a royal pain in the butt, I am ~Vanslar~       
      Want better gravity? Go to
Realistic Gravity, By Vanslar 2-D
Want a better way to spend your spare time? CubeField

#68 2007-08-26 09:27:26

brie700
Scratcher

jamie wrote:

Is it allowed if someone takes your game, changes the theme, then calls it "their creation"? Because I created a game called "Pong 2.1" and a week later, a user called "mina" redid the background, and called "her creation" and I am really annoyed with her for taking credit for MY game, I just want to know if it is a Scratch rule if you can slightly alter a game and call it yours.

Jamie

MY GAME: Pong 2.1
MINA'S GAME: Wack-Pong

well jamie it is ok to do that as long as you give the real owner credit.

I am a fun sporty Mets fan  big_smile

#69 2007-08-26 09:34:12

brie700
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

By the way, I moved the post to the "All about Scratch" section because I think it is important for everyone to contribute their thoughts on this topic.

i edit projects and give the owner credit am i doing the right thing

I am a fun sporty Mets fan  big_smile

#70 2007-08-26 12:32:46

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

There are several different notions of the "right thing" floating around, and it is worth thinking about what you mean by it.

1) is it legal?
2) will you get in trouble for it?
3) does it follow the rules of the license agreement?
4) is it ethical?
5) does it follow the conventions of the community?
6) does it benefit others?

These are overlapping, but not identical questions.

Currently, copying someone else's scratch program and not giving them credit is possibly legal, will not get you in much trouble, does not follow the rules of the license  agreement, is unethical, does not follow the conventions of the community, and is of no benefit to others.

Modifying someone else's program and giving them credit is ok in all the interpretations of the "right thing" above, except maybe the "benefit to others", depending on whether your changes made a better or a worse program.

Creating new works that others may modify is arguably a bigger benefit to the community, so may be a better thing than editing others' work.

#71 2007-11-12 15:17:17

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I found this video of a talk by Larry Lassig (a lawyer) talking about remixing and why it's a good thing: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/187

#72 2007-12-06 22:50:31

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Someone forwarded me this article in the New York Times about some controversial artist that takes pictures of other people's work: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/arts/design/06prin.html?ex=1197608400&en=d1c6ec7c53a9d76a&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Since Scratch is in some ways an art, I thought it is relevant to the plagiarism discussion.

#73 2007-12-07 01:36:22

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The amazing thing is that Richard Prince is making big money by blatantly stealing other people's work--why are collectors paying big money for a copyist who can't even compose his own photographs?

#74 2007-12-07 02:43:34

Jens
Scratcher

I'm also disturbed by this, looks like the 'art' part of his work lies in provoking discussions like these...

On the other hand, Mahler was called a shameless plagiarist in his time (for remixing other composers' musical themes) Bartok travelled around Hungary recording gypsy music and transcribing these recordings into his own compositions, Dvorak's 'stole' his most famous musical theme from Native Americans, and almost every classical music composer 'cited' other people's music in their own oevre.

In German law we try to determine the 'creative' part of a remix based on the assumption, that actually cloning something else 1:1 can - by definition - never be 'original'. While my legal opinion clearly backs this view, I am personally rather in doubt about the concept of intellectual property.

'Intellect' is Latin and literally means 'reading in between' in the sense of deducing something that's not apparently obvious. 'Property' is also Latin and means a lot of things, but mostly describes the idea that you 'own' something in the sense that you can exclusively decide if and how you allow others to benefit from it. It seems the only way you can exploit your intellectual property is by sharing it with others (the word 'patent' - also Latin - literally means 'opened' in the sense of 'disclosed' or 'shared') while at the same time prohibiting others to 'use' it. The idea behind this is that if you don't grant an inventor a monopoly, he will keep his invention secret. That's a very sensible and pragmatic approach to me, but IMO disregards some fundamental ethical, philosophical and even religious questions like: "Which part of myself is originally my 'own'. Do I 'own' my body, my mind, my voice, my language, even my life? How about my children, do I 'own' them?"

I tend to believe that 'giving birth' to an idea is not so much different to 'procreating' a child, and that ideas 'live' only within a social context. What use, after all, is a song that's never sung, an untold story, or an unseen picture? And once an intellectual creation has been shared, does it really have to be progressively modified in order to stay 'original'? Why can't a copy be another original? If you're out with friends sitting besides a campfire singing a song, shouldn't everybody use the same lyrics, the same harmony, even the same melody? Isn't the whole point of 'tradition' to pass something on while staying true to the original?

Giving credit to the 'creator' or 'inventor' is of course a different, moral question.

Just my 2 cents...

Jens Mönig

#75 2007-12-08 20:07:40

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I totally agree with you Jens.

A few months ago I went to a conference at a law school and I was surprised how little support for Lessig's ideas was among the crowd. Sounds like German law is a bit more progressive, perhaps?

Based on the comments from the young users in the Scratch community, seems like kids perceptions of ownership of ideas and code are no different from their perception of ownership of physical objects. I wonder if this is mostly influenced by society, so focused on "protecting" intellectual property, or if it's an innate human trait. I guess we would need to do an experiment with kids using Scratch in a remote area not touched by the Western morals :-)

In any case, even if it's something innate, I often wonder what mechanisms could foster more acceptance of shared ownership of ideas.

Board footer