This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-04-10 18:49:28

jamie
Scratcher

ITopic: Plagiarism

Is it allowed if someone takes your game, changes the theme, then calls it "their creation"? Because I created a game called "Pong 2.1" and a week later, a user called [removed] redid the background, and called "her creation" and I am really annoyed with her for taking credit for MY game, I just want to know if it is a Scratch rule if you can slightly alter a game and call it yours.

Jamie

MY GAME: Pong 2.1
[removed]'s GAME: Wack-Pong

Last edited by Harakou (2012-06-14 00:19:35)

Check out my flash game site at http://subgaming.net/

#2 2007-04-11 18:39:06

Cholo71796
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Plagiarism

I noticed that, it doesn't seem like much of a problem, other than that [removed] is lame.  big_smile

Last edited by Harakou (2012-06-14 00:18:41)

#3 2007-04-12 11:25:33

keithbraafladt
Scratcher

Hi Jamie,
I often use another project as a point of inspiration... I try to always give credit in the notes especially if I start with someone else's project and adapt it, but also if someone's project inspires me to start my own from 'scratch'  I try to talk about that.

- I think it would be great if there was a way to link or tag projects inspired by others, so we could see how connected ideas are...
Keith

#4 2007-04-12 17:30:22

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Thanks a lot for bringing up this topic jamie! 

We want to learn from you, [removed] and everybody else in this community about what things should be allowed and what things should not be allowed. Your opinions are really important so I have a couple of questions for you:

What do you think [removed] should have done so you were not annoyed?

Do you think people should not be allowed to copy other people's projects?

Do you think everybody should give credit to the people who created the images and sounds used in a Scratch project?

If you see a project that you like and you create your own version of it without looking at the code of the other person's game: do you think you should give credit to the other person for getting inspired by her or his idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by Paddle2See (2011-08-06 05:14:31)

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#5 2007-04-12 17:32:59

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

By the way, I moved the post to the "All about Scratch" section because I think it is important for everyone to contribute their thoughts on this topic.

#6 2007-04-13 11:57:56

jay
Scratch Team

Is it okay to copy code? Should we all share our Scratch code with each other? All over the world right now copyrights and patents are a big debate - should someone be allowed to download an mp3 without paying? Can a DJ or an artist remix someone else's work and post it on YouTube? There is a lot of history to this. In fact, we had to think about this issue a lot when we made Scratch. Scratch itself was originally someone else's project called Squeak, but we borrowed the code and changed it to make Scratch. Because we shared code from the Squeak people, we always make sure to give credit to the people who made Squeak because we are so thankful to have it, and the people who made Squeak are also glad that we used it to make Scratch.

We made it easy to copy code in Scratch on purpose because we like when people copy each other (only we call it "sharing") and then learn from each other and make changes. But I also think it would be nice to see who people got a project from. What if we could all link to people's projects that we borrowed from or to Scratchers who have inspired us? I would like to be able to do that.

I think this is an ongoing conversation with no easy answer. Thanks for being a pioneer in Scratch, and please keep thinking about these very important issues.

(P.S., some of my friends in the lab helped me think about how to answer this good question, so I'd like to give them credit for their help by mentioning it right here. Thanks Natalie http://www.media.mit.edu/~silver/scratch/help/natalie.gif, Andres http://www.media.mit.edu/~silver/scratch/help/andres.gif, and to the person who emailed me and got me thinking about this in the first place.)

#7 2007-04-19 19:35:01

jamie
Scratcher

I think if you are going to do such a minor change such as the background, you should give the original creator some credit, and not call it 'Your creation", if you just change the background, which is NOTHING. But if I had created some stupid little game like "Press The Button and see how many times you pressed it" (Which I did), and somebody else took the script and changed it to something totally new and better, and they did most of the work, then they could call it theirs, becuase thy compleatly changed it, but what Mina did was took my game, changed the background, cad called it "her creation from scratch". So I am just saying, if you are going to do such a minor change, don't call it yours. Like I took a game which "ericr" did, made the ball smaller, and said that ericr was the original creator.

In short form. Don't do a really small change and call it your work.

If you would like to comment then please do.

Jamie

Last edited by jamie (2007-04-19 19:36:42)

#8 2007-04-19 19:48:17

jamie
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Thanks a lot for bringing up this topic jamie! 

We want to learn from you, [removed] and everybody else in this community about what things should be allowed and what things should not be allowed. Your opinions are really important so I have a couple of questions for you:

What do you think mina should have done so you were not annoyed?

Do you think people should not be allowed to copy other people's projects?

Do you think everybody should give credit to the people who created the images and sounds used in a Scratch project?

If you see a project that you like and you create your own version of it without looking at the code of the other person's game: do you think you should give credit to the other person for getting inspired by her or his idea?

Thanks!

What do you think [removed] should have done so you were not annoyed? Given me credit

Do you think people should not be allowed to copy other people's projects? If it is a minor change, give the original creator credit, if it is a huge change, it isn't as important, saying as you did most of the work.

Do you think everybody should give credit to the people who created the images and sounds used in a Scratch project? If it is a minor change, give the original creator credit, if it is a huge change, it isn't as important, saying as you did most of the work.

If you see a project that you like and you create your own version of it without looking at the code of the other person's game: do you think you should give credit to the other person for getting inspired by her or his idea? No, becuase YOU created the code.

These are just suggestions. Maybe you have better ideas?

Last edited by Paddle2See (2011-08-06 05:15:17)

#9 2007-04-19 21:00:08

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Thanks a lot for your feedback jamie. We are going to implement two features that I hope help ameliorate this problem:

1. Show the date of creation of every project
2. Have a field where people can say where they got the idea from.
3. Display automatically if the project is based on another project downloaded from the site (we store some information inside the Scratch file)

The first one is coming really soon, the second will come later and the 3rd is more of a long term development.

I hope this helps. Keep Scratch-ing!

#10 2007-04-20 18:50:44

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

What about games that use a pen?

If I make an awesome drawing game and someone draws a really cool sprite with it, it is OK, but if they rework I would like at least SOME credit for the original version.

#11 2007-04-20 21:54:16

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I guess the consensus is that we should give credit to others. We should try to encourage this behavior by doing it ourselves.

#12 2007-05-05 17:25:25

gosox5555
Scratcher

Good ideas.  One personal issue:  I copyed a game, added music, and put it back up.  Zippzom, the creator, was given credit in the Project Notes.  Basicly, I agree.

#13 2007-05-08 19:03:18

jamie
Scratcher

Another good feature would be when you want to share your project, you are given the option weather you WANT people to be ABLE do download it.

#14 2007-05-10 04:22:09

Macca
Scratcher

Ive had the same problem. One of my projects has been copied:

Macca: Space Shooter [v1.00]
alex21alex: Space Shooter [v1[1].00]

His version is exactly the same as mine is. I don't mind him learning from my project, and if he changed it at all it would have been fine... But its EXACTLY the same.

My ideas to fix this:
  - Make it so you can only download a veiw of how your game/story/animation works. Sort of a Scratch Card with all the details on what you put on each sprite and pictures. Also have the name at the bottom. Then people can print these out and learn from them...
  - Or make it so downloadable Scratch files have red only protection. Some sort of boolean ticked "editable: yes/no".
  - Mabye downloaded Scratch files, after being uploaded, are marked with the creators name at the bottom, and then any DIFFERENT people who edit it after are put on the list. (i said DIFFERENT because it wouldnt show the same name over and over if you have version history.)

~Macca

#15 2007-05-10 06:48:39

Greatness
Scratcher

I think Plagerism is a problem. My projects haven't been plagerised yet, and I hope they aren't.
I think people just need to be more honest and at LEAST give credit to the original creator.

#16 2007-05-10 18:49:00

fab_programmer123
Scratcher

Yeah I know alex21alex and he told me that he changed the code a bit for space shooter. he told me he didnt completely copy it. he said he changed the code.

#17 2007-05-11 03:55:42

Macca
Scratcher

I didnt see any visual difference, and he didnt claim the map came from me originally, so I didn't like it. If alex21alex wants to change the game, he should put my name somewhere and make sure there is some sort of obvious difference. Even if he's only changed the sprites and added maybe a instructions screen.

~Macca

#18 2007-05-11 15:52:45

Bloing_Gloing
Scratcher

I don't have this problem, but you may want to look at jimtheking96. I'm pretty sure all he does is take other people's work and plagiarize.

#19 2007-05-11 18:32:25

fab_programmer123
Scratcher

I agree with you Macca, he should have credited you.

#20 2007-05-11 21:26:54

Babygirl
Scratcher

gosox5555 wrote:

Good ideas.  One personal issue:  I copyed a game, added music, and put it back up.  Zippzom, the creator, was given credit in the Project Notes.  Basicly, I agree.

i did that too u guys maybe these people needd new ideas i changed amonboxing extremely and made it punch m,j :cool

i am polite and young  and i don't like rude , inaproipiate, offensive, ect. ect. projects or pictures or even comments i like 2 think of the children on scratch so plz think of the kids as well
cool

#21 2007-05-14 14:33:16

Mick
Scratcher

Zippzom copyed my sewer line game but he gave me credit in the project notes, so I guess that's OK.

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#22 2007-05-15 00:08:19

rszrama
Scratcher

The open source debate... the "Terms" section of the website tells you you can help by giving credit, but the license which governs all the projects doesn't require you to do so.  Eventually the community would get fed up with perpetual copycats, but there's not much you can do about it.  Unless a different or custom license is chosen that prohibits copying or mandates all attribution, the copycats are "playing by the rules."

Just don't tag theirs as favorites and keep enjoying Scratch for yourself.   wink

#23 2007-05-19 10:18:39

jldugger
Scratcher

How about embedding some project history in a project?  That way people can share, people can borrow, and proper attribution can be made automatically.  Ideally you could also be notified when people make changes and incorporate them back in, but my brain hurts trying to comprehend a Scratch diff  wink

#24 2007-05-27 07:23:03

mohlar
Scratcher

As far as I can see (and as a newcomer to Scratch) one of the HUGE positives about this program and website is the ease with which you can download and 'reverse engineer' the code that others have used. I am doing this as a way of finding out how to achieve particular effects and I regularly add comments saying that particular games or programs would make excellent exemplars from which others can learn.

BUT - and I'll repeat that -  BUT, I also think that there is neither benefit nor credit in simply grabbing someone else's code, making a few changes and then re-submitting it as your work. What's the point?  It doesn't make you look better or even clever. By all means make those changes for your personal use as you learn, but there's nothing to be gained by posting them unless you've made significant improvements or developments - and then, surely, you MUST credit the download(s) that gace you your starting point(s)?

#25 2007-05-27 16:21:29

300pockets
Scratcher

jamie wrote:

Is it allowed if someone takes your game, changes the theme, then calls it "their creation"? Because I created a game called "Pong 2.1" and a week later, a user called [removed] redid the background, and called "her creation" and I am really annoyed with her for taking credit for MY game, I just want to know if it is a Scratch rule if you can slightly alter a game and call it yours.

Jamie

MY GAME: Pong 2.1
MINA'S GAME: Wack-Pong

neutral

Well, I think one problem is that Pong:

a.) is an EXTREMELY simple game
b.) has already been made oh-so-many years ago
c.) will be copied, there is no doubt about it, because it is one of the most simple things to program (the purpose of Scratch)

Last edited by Paddle2See (2011-08-06 05:16:05)

I am the original 300pockets of myspace.com/300pockets. I am quite young, and my interests include astrophysics, reading fantasy novels, and using programs such as Bryce5 to create 3D landscapes. I enjoy creating oceans, although I am afraid of swimming in the real seas. My cowardice does not overcome my sense for beauty.

Board footer