This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#251 2012-05-15 02:45:29

sparks
Community Moderator

Re: Block Files

Haha, Blob8108, you don't have to try Panther if you don't want to  tongue

Dreamod, you need another project to reach Scratcher status on the forums, you only have two!  wink

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#252 2012-05-15 02:49:36

blob8108
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Haha, Blob8108, you don't have to try Panther if you don't want to  tongue

Hey, I just wanted to see what you'd say to recommend it  tongue  I'll go try it now, methinks...

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#253 2012-05-15 02:56:04

sparks
Community Moderator

I have an exam in two hours and a sore throat. I don't feel up to recommending anything but a throat lozenge! Plus I forgot my book so the one-and-a-half hour bus journey home today is going to be boring... I'll spend the time thinking about good layouts for the block library site or something  tongue

#254 2012-05-15 04:38:15

Hardmath123
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

one-and-a-half hour bus journey home

I feel your pain; I have to deal with a one hour to one-and-a-half hour ride, except it's worse for me because I get motion sick if I try to read.  tongue  Anyway, that's where I do most of my theoretical Scratching, so I guess it isn't exactly time wasted.

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#255 2012-05-15 07:59:36

sparks
Community Moderator

Well I passed the Artificial Intelligence exam, so I'm in a pretty good mood  big_smile

#256 2012-05-15 08:44:18

roijac
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Well I passed the Artificial Intelligence exam, so I'm in a pretty good mood  big_smile

congrats  smile
now it's time for some real-world practice  tongue

#257 2012-05-15 09:08:53

dreamod
New Scratcher

How's the website going? I really can't wait until you can share blocks.

#258 2012-05-15 10:11:13

sparks
Community Moderator

Well now that exam is over I have a week till the next one. I'll see if I can get the upload thing working for at least one mod.

I'm still unsure about the form for the Scratch blocks though... do you reckon submitters should just be able to name their own selectors?

Also, if a block has code in more than one browser location, how does that have to be laid out for them?

#259 2012-05-15 10:47:31

dreamod
New Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Well now that exam is over I have a week till the next one. I'll see if I can get the upload thing working for at least one mod.

I'm still unsure about the form for the Scratch blocks though... do you reckon submitters should just be able to name their own selectors?

Also, if a block has code in more than one browser location, how does that have to be laid out for them?

Aren't we trying to go for block files? If that is so, this would be a lot easier, you could have a 'select file to upload' and a tab for the block importer. That way the block importer would take care of the uploading, similar to Scratch. Scratch doesn't have an upload button on the website, Scratch uploads projects itself. I was thinking of a similar approach. So far, I have a code which creates a dialog prompting for username, password, and comment describing the block. It then generates a block file and stores it in a string variable. My idea is for it to then send the username information and the block file as a string. Then the website would generate a block file, ( a plain text file with a '.block' extension). And when a librarian approves the block they would add it to the library. Feel free to add to idea.

#260 2012-05-15 10:51:14

sparks
Community Moderator

That's a good point. If we go with that approach, though, people will have no choice but to use your mod if they want to share Scratch blocks. Then again, since we're planning on storing them only in the block file format, that's not too bad a thing.

If you wanted to have an export feature in the patch, we would have to work out how to get smalltalk to POST data, since GET won't hold a file as large as these. Maybe the block exporter could (at least for the moment) simply create a block file and save it to a user-selected folder of the user's local drive. They could then click the "browse" button on the upload form and find their file to directly upload it that way?

Are you still planning to release this as a patch as well as an image?

Last edited by sparks (2012-05-15 10:51:47)

#261 2012-05-15 10:56:48

dreamod
New Scratcher

sparks wrote:

That's a good point. If we go with that approach, though, people will have no choice but to use your mod if they want to share Scratch blocks. Then again, since we're planning on storing them only in the block file format, that's not too bad a thing.

If you wanted to have an export feature in the patch, we would have to work out how to get smalltalk to POST data, since GET won't hold a file as large as these. Maybe the block exporter could (at least for the moment) simply create a block file and save it to a user-selected folder of the user's local drive. They could then click the "browse" button on the upload form and find their file to directly upload it that way?

Are you still planning to release this as a patch as well as an image?

Yes. that sounds perfect. I am actually going to start making a patch with additional instructions on how to add on to your own mod.

#262 2012-05-15 11:54:28

dreamod
New Scratcher

I made a patch here () for those who wan to add this to there mod.
Once you file that in I have special instructions.
If you haven't changed the method skip copy it into the respective destination in the browser.
1st: CommandBlockMorph canBecomeWatcher

canBecomeWatcher
    | t1 t2 |
    NotWatcherBlocks ifNil: [NotWatcherBlocks _ #()].
    t2 _ (NotWatcherBlocks includes: selector).
    t1 _ selector asString findAnySubStr: #('mouse' 'key' 'touching' 'distance' "add your stuff here") startingAt: 1.
    t2 ifTrue: [^ false].
    ^ self isReporter & (self argumentCount <= 1) & (#(#not #atRandom #abs #rounded #lineCountOfList: #stringLength: "add your stuff here") includes: selector) not & (t1 > selector asString size).

2nd: CommandBlockMorph uncoloredArgMorphsFor:

uncoloredArgMorphFor: t1
    | t2 |
    t2 _ t1 copyFrom: 2 to: t1 size.
    'Attributes' = t2 ifTrue: [^ AttributeArgMorph new choice: 'volume'].
    'Boolean' = t2 ifTrue: [^ BooleanArgMorph new].
    'Color' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ColorArgMorph new showPalette: true].
    'ScreenColor' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ColorArgMorph new showPalette: false].
    'Directions' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '0';
         menuSelector: #directionMenu].
    'Drums' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '48';
         menuSelector: #midiDrumMenu].
    'Event' = t2 ifTrue: [^ EventTitleMorph new].
    'MathFunctions' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #mathFunctionNames;
         choice: #sqrt].
    'Constants' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #constantNames].
    'Effects' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #graphicEffectNames;
         choice: #color].
    'ColorVar' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new stringExpression: 'a color';
         menuSelector: #colorsMenu].
    'SensorNames' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #hookupSensorNames].
    'SensorBooleans' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #hookupBooleanSensorNames].
    'Instruments' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '1';
         menuSelector: #midiInstrumentMenu].
    'ListIndex' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '1';
         menuSelector: #listIndexMenu].
    'Keys' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #keyNames;
         choice: 'space'].
    'NamedColors' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #namedColors;
         choice: #black].
    'List' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new stringExpression: 'a list';
         menuSelector: #listsMenu].
    'Costumes' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceOrExpressionArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #costumeNames;
         choice: 'costume1'].
    'Sprite' = t2 ifTrue: [^ SpriteArgMorph new].
    'MotorNames' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #motorNames].
    'Number' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorph new numExpression: '10'].
    'Notes' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '60';
         menuSelector: #noteSelector].
    'String' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorph new stringExpression: ''].
    'SoundNames' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceOrExpressionArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #soundNames;
         choice: 'pop'].
    'TimeDates' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #timeDates;
         choice: 'time'].
    'LayoutStyles' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #layoutStyles;
         choice: 'large'].
    'Variable' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new stringExpression: 'a variable';
         menuSelector: #varsMenu].
    'MotorDirection' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #motorDirection].
    'SceneNames' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceOrExpressionArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #sceneNames;
         choice: ''].
    'NewCostume' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ChoiceArgMorph new getOptionsSelector: #newCostumeTypes;
         choice: 'camera'].
    'ListDelete' = t2 ifTrue: [^ ExpressionArgMorphWithMenu new numExpression: '1';
         menuSelector: #listIndexForDeleteMenu].
    ^ CustomBlockSpecsDictionary customArgs at: t2 asSymbol ifAbsent: [^ ExpressionArgMorph new stringExpression: '']
"what you're going to do here is add your old argmorphs here with words, like such %l = 'List', do you understand what I mean?"

3rd: HatBlockMorph rightButtonMenu

rightButtonMenu
    | t1 |
    t1 _ CustomMenu new.
    t1 add: 'help' action: #presentHelpScreen.
    t1 add: 'add to costumes' action: #addToCostumes.
    t1 invokeOn: self
"just add your old items to this list before 't1 invokeOn: self'"

4th: ScriptableScratchMorph class blockSpecs:

blockSpecs
    | t1 |
    t1 _ #('control' ('when $Sprite$ clicked' #S #-) ('when $Keys$ key pressed' #K #-) ('when $Sprite$ clicked' #M #-) #- ('wait $Number$ secs' #t #wait:elapsed:from: 1) #- ('forever' #c #doForever) ('repeat $Number$' #c #doRepeat 10) #- ('broadcast $Event$' #- #broadcast:) ('broadcast $Event $ and wait' #s #doBroadcastAndWait) ('when I receive $Event$' #E #-) #- ('forever if $Boolean$' #c #doForeverIf) ('if $Boolean$' #c #doIf) ('if $Boolean$' #c #doIfElse) ('wait until $Boolean$' #s #doWaitUntil) ('repeat until $Boolean$' #c #doUntil) #- ('stop script' #s #doReturn) ('stop all' #- #stopAll) 'operators' ('$Number$ + $Number$' #r #+ #- #-) ('$Number$ - $Number$' #r #- #- #-) ('$Number$ * $Number$' #r #* #- #-) ('$Number$ / $Number$' #r #/ #- #-) #- ('pick random $Number$ to $Number$' #r #randomFrom:to: 1 10) #- ('$String$ < $String$' #b #< '' '') ('$String$ = $String$' #b #= '' '') ('$String$ > $String$' #b #> '' '') #- ('$Boolean$ and $Boolean$' #b #&) ('$Boolean$ or $Boolean$' #b #|) ('not $Boolean$' #b #not) #- ('join $String$ $String$' #r #concatenate:with: 'hello ' 'world') ('letter $Number$ of $String$' #r #letter:of: 1 'world') ('length of $String$' #r #stringLength: 'world') #- ('$Number$ mod $Number$' #r # #- #-) ('round $Number$' #r #rounded #-) #- ('$MathFunctions$ of $Number$' #r #computeFunction:of: 'sqrt' 10) 'sound' ('play sound $SoundNames$' #- #playSound:) ('play sound $SoundNames$ until done' #s #doPlaySoundAndWait) ('stop all sounds' #- #stopAllSounds) #- ('play drum $Drums$ for $Number$ beats' #t #drum:duration:elapsed:from: 48 0.2) ('rest for $Number$ beats' #t #rest:elapsed:from: 0.2) #- ('play note $Notes$ for $Number$ beats' #t #noteOn:duration:elapsed:from: 60 0.5) ('set instrument to $Instruments$' #- midiInstrument: 1) #- ('change volume by $Number$' #- #changeVolumeBy: -10) ('set volume to $Number$%' #- #setVolumeTo: 100) ('volume' #r #volume) #- ('change tempo by $Number$' #- #changeTempoBy: 20) ('set tempo to $Number$ bpm' #- #setTempoTo: 60) ('tempo' #r #tempo) 'motor' ('motor on for $Number$ secs' #t #motorOnFor:elapsed:from: 1) ('motor on' #- #allMotorsOn) ('motor off' #- #allMotorsOff) ('motor power $Number$' #- #startMotorPower: 100) ('motor direction $MotorDirection$' #- #setMotorDirection: 'this way') 'variables' ('show variable $Variable$' #- #showVariable:) ('hide variable $Variable$' #- #hideVariable:) 'list' ('add $String$ to $List$' #- #append:toList: 'thing') #- ('delete $ListDelete$ of $List$' #- #deleteLine:ofList: 1) ('insert $String$ at $ListIndex$ of $List$' #- #insert:at:ofList: 'thing' 1) ('replace item $ListIndex$ of $List$ with $String$' #- #setLine:ofList:to: 1 'list' 'thing') #- ('item $ListIndex$ of $List$' #r #getLine:ofList: 1) ('length of $List$' #r #lineCountOfList:) ('$List$ contains $String$' #b #list:contains: 'list' 'thing') ).
    ^ t1 , self obsoleteBlockSpecs , (CustomBlockSpecsDictionary formatAsArrayFor: 'All')
"add all your blocks here as well and to the same to the following block specs"

4th ScratchSpriteMorph class blockSpecs

blockSpecs
    | t1 |
    t1 _ #('motion' ('move $Number$ steps' #- #forward:) ('turn $Number$ degrees' #- #turnRight: 15) ('turn $Number$ degrees' #- #turnLeft: 15) #- ('point in direction $Directions$' #- #heading: 90) ('point towards $Sprite$' #- #pointTowards:) #- ('go to x:$Number$ y:$Number$' #- #gotoX:y: 0 0) ('go to $Sprite$' #- #gotoSpriteOrMouse:) ('glide $Number$ secs to x:$Number$ y:$Number$' #t #glideSecs:toX:y:elapsed:from: 1 50 50) #- ('change x by $Number$' #- #changeXposBy: 10) ('set x to $Number$' #- #xpos: 0) ('change y by $Number$' #- #changeYposBy: 10) ('set y to $Number$' #- #ypos: 0) #- ('if on edge, bounce' #- #bounceOffEdge) #- ('x position' #r #xpos) ('y position' #r #ypos) ('direction' #r #heading) 'pen' ('clear' #- #clearPenTrails) #- ('pen down' #- #putPenDown) ('pen up' #- #putPenUp) #- ('set pen color to $Color$' #- #penColor:) ('change pen color by $Number$' #- #changePenHueBy:) ('set pen color to $Number$' #- #setPenHueTo: 0) #- ('change pen shade by $Number$' #- #changePenShadeBy:) ('set pen shade to $Number$' #- #setPenShadeTo: 50) #- ('change pen size by $Number$' #- #changePenSizeBy: 1) ('set pen size to $Number$' #- #penSize: 1) #- ('stamp' #- #stampCostume) ).
    t1 _ t1 , #('looks' ('switch to costume $Costumes$' #- #lookLike:) ('next costume' #- #nextCostume) ('costume #' #r #costumeIndex) #- ('say $String$ for $Number$ secs' #t #say:duration:elapsed:from: 'Hello!' 2) ('say $String$' #- #say: 'Hello!') ('think $String$ for $Number$ secs' #t #think:duration:elapsed:from: 'Hmm...' 2) ('think $String$' #- #think: 'Hmm...') #- ('change $Effects$ effect by $Number$' #- #changeGraphicEffect:by: 'color' 25) ('set $Effects$ effect to $Number$' #- #setGraphicEffect:to: 'color' 0) ('clear graphic effects' #- #filterReset) #- ('change size by $Number$' #- #changeSizeBy:) ('set size to $Number$%' #- #setSizeTo: 100) ('size' #r #scale) #- ('show' #- #show) ('hide' #- #hide) #- ('go to front' #- #comeToFront) ('go back $Number$ layers' #- #goBackByLayers: 1) 'sensing' ('touching $Sprite$?' #b #touching:) ('touching color $ScreenColor$?' #b #touchingColor:) ('color $ScreenColor$ is touching $ScreenColor$?' #b #color:sees:) #- ('ask $String$ and wait' #s #doAsk 'What''s your name?') ('answer' #r #answer) #- ('mouse x' #r #mouseX) ('mouse y' #r #mouseY) ('mouse down?' #b #mousePressed) #- ('key $Keys$ pressed?' #b #keyPressed: 'space') #- ('distance to $Sprite$' #r #distanceTo:) #- ('reset timer' #- #timerReset) ('timer' #r #timer) #- ('$Attributes$ of $Sprite$' #r #getAttribute:of:) #- ('loudness' #r #soundLevel) ('loud?' #b #isLoud) #~ ('$SensorBooleans$ sensor value' #r #sensor: 'slider') ('sensor $SensorNames$?' #b #sensorPressed: 'button pressed') ).
"see ScriptableScratchMorph blockSpecs"
    ^ t1 , super blockSpecs , (CustomBlockSpecsDictionary formatAsArrayFor: 'Sprites')

5th: ScratchStageMorph blockSpecs

blockSpecs
    | t1 |
    t1 _ #('sensing' ('ask $String$ and wait' #s #doAsk 'What''s your name?') ('answer' #r #answer) #- ('mouse x' #r #mouseX) ('mouse y' #r #mouseY) ('mouse down?' #b #mousePressed) #- ('key $Keys$ pressed?' #b #keyPressed: 'space') #- ('reset timer' #- #timerReset) ('timer' #r #timer) #- ('$Attributes$ of $Sprite$' #r #getAttribute:of:) #- ('loudness' #r #soundLevel) ('loud?' #b #isLoud) #~ ('$SensorBooleans$ sensor value' #r #sensor: 'slider') ('sensor $SensorNames$?' #b #sensorPressed: 'button pressed') 'looks' ('switch to background $Costumes$' #- #showBackground: 'background1') ('next background' #- #nextBackground) ('background #' #r #backgroundIndex) #- ('change $Effects$ effect by $Number$' #- #changeGraphicEffect:by: 'color' 25) ('set $Effects$ effect to $Number$' #- #setGraphicEffect:to: 'color' 0) ('clear graphic effects' #- #filterReset) #- 'pen' ('clear' #- #clearPenTrails) ).
    ^ t1 , super blockSpecs , (CustomBlockSpecsDictionary formatAsArrayFor: 'Stage')
"see ScriptableScratchMorph class blockSpecs"

6th: ScriptableScratchMorph defaultArgs:

defaultArgsFor: t1
    | t2 t3 t4 t5 t6 |
    t2 _ t1 copyFrom: 4 to: t1 size.
    t3 _ self ownerThatIsA: ScratchStageMorph.
    t4 _ (t1 at: 3) asSymbol.
    #gotoX:y: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: self referencePosition x rounded with: self referencePosition y rounded].
    #glideSecs:toX:y:elapsed:from: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array
                    with: 1
                    with: self referencePosition x rounded
                    with: self referencePosition y rounded].
    #motor:direction: = self ifTrue: [t2 _ Array
                    with: 'reverse' localized
                    with: 'this way' localized
                    with: 'that way'].
    #setSizeTo: = t4
        ifTrue:
            [t5 _ (100.0 * (self scalePoint x max: self scalePoint y) ) rounded.
            t2 _ Array with: t5].
    #getAttribute:of: = t4 ifTrue: [(t3 _ self ownerThatIsA: ScratchStageMorph) ifNil: [t2 _ Array with: 'x position' with: self]
            ifNotNil:
                [t6 _ t3 submorphs select: [:t7 | t7 isKindOf: ScratchSpriteMorph].
                t6 sort: [:t8 :t9 | t8 objName asLowercase < t9 objName asLowercase].
                t6 size > 0
                    ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'x position' with: t6 first]
                    ifFalse: [t2 _ Array with: 'background #' with: t3]]].
    #concatenate:with: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'hello ' localized with: 'world' localized].
    #doAsk = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'What''s your name?' localized].
    #letter:of: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 1 with: 'world' localized].
    #stringLength: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'world' localized].
    #say:duration:elapsed:from: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'Hello!' localized with: 2].
    #say: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'Hello!' localized].
    #think:duration:elapsed:from: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'Hmm...' localized with: 2].
    #think: = t4 ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: 'Hmm...' localized].
    (#(#lookLike: #showBackground: ) includes: t4)
        ifTrue: [t2 _ Array with: self costumeNames last].
    (#(#playSound: #doPlaySoundAndWait ) includes: t4)
        ifTrue:
            [t6 _ self soundNames.
            t2 _ t6 size <= 2
                        ifTrue: [Array with: '']
                        ifFalse: [Array with: (t6 at: t6 size - 2)]].
    (#(#broadcast: #doBroadcastAndWait ) includes: t4)
        ifTrue: [t3 ifNotNil: [t2 _ Array with: t3 defaultEventName]].
    (#(#append:toList: #deleteLine:ofList: #insert:at:ofList: ) includes: t4)
        ifTrue: [t2 size >= 1 ifTrue: [t2 at: 1 put: (t2 at: 1) localized]].
    (#(#append:toList: #deleteLine:ofList: #getLine:ofList: #insert:at:ofList: #lineCountOfList: ) includes: t4)
        ifTrue: [t2 _ t2 copyWith: self defaultListName].
    #setLine:ofList:to: = t4
        ifTrue: [t2 size >= 3
                ifTrue:
                    [t2 at: 2 put: self defaultListName.
                    t2 at: 3 put: (t2 at: 3) localized]].
    #appendLettersOf:toList: = t4
        ifTrue: [t2 size >= 2
                ifTrue:
                    [t2 at: 1 put: (t2 at: 1) localized.
                    t2 at: 2 put: self defaultListName]].
    #list:contains: = t4
        ifTrue: [t2 size >= 2
                ifTrue:
                    [t2 at: 1 put: self defaultListName.
                    t2 at: 2 put: (t2 at: 2) localized]].
    #selector = t4
        ifTrue: [t2 size >= 1 ifTrue: [t2 at: 1 put: 'hello world' localized]].
#selector = sel
    ifTrue: [defaultArgs size >= 1 ifTrue: [defaultArgs at: 1 put: 'hello world' localized]]. ^ t2
"add your default args here"

7th: ScratchFrameMorph createMenuPanel

createMenuPanel
    | t1 t2 |
    menuPanel _ AlignmentMorph new color: Color transparent;
             centering: #center;
             inset: 0;
             height: 0.
    self addShortcutButtonsTo: menuPanel.
    t1 _ #( (#File #fileMenu:) (#Edit #editMenu:) (#Blocks #blocksMenu:) "add your panels here"(#Help #helpMenu:) (#Dev #devMenu:) ).
    t1 do:
        [:t3 |
        t2 _ ScratchMenuTitleMorph new contents: (t3 at: 1) localized;
                 target: self selector: (t3 at: 2).
        menuPanel addMorphBack: t2.
        #devMenu: = (t3 at: 2) ifFalse: [menuPanel addMorphBack: (Morph new color: Color transparent;
                 extent: 12 @ 5)]].
    topPane addMorph: menuPanel

#263 2012-05-15 12:04:09

dreamod
New Scratcher

Whoops, I forgot the link, silly me. No wonder I'm a new scratcher.  smile 
I do not take responsibility for negative impact to your mod (or computer).
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?7fswpsk1g1youf1

#264 2012-05-15 12:26:06

dreamod
New Scratcher

Sparks, I was searching in the squeak browser (scratch source code) and found a method named: "httpPostDocument: url  args: argsDict accept: mimeType request: requestString" in HTTPSocket class. Here is the first comment in the method:     "like httpGET, except it does a POST instead of a GET.  POST allows data to be uploaded" This might be the method I'm looking for.

#265 2012-05-15 13:18:02

blob8108
Scratcher

dreamod wrote:

Sparks, I was searching in the squeak browser (scratch source code) and found a method named: "httpPostDocument: url  args: argsDict accept: mimeType request: requestString" in HTTPSocket class. Here is the first comment in the method:     "like httpGET, except it does a POST instead of a GET.  POST allows data to be uploaded" This might be the method I'm looking for.

I looked at this before, and I think you can't use that method for uploading blocks. I can't remember why, though  tongue

I think it's better to implement your own HTTP protocol — at least, that's what the Scratch team did for uploading projects, I think. I could give advice on that if you so wish  smile

Last edited by blob8108 (2012-05-15 13:18:50)

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#266 2012-05-15 14:26:46

dreamod
New Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

dreamod wrote:

I looked at this before, and I think you can't use that method for uploading blocks. I can't remember why, though  tongue

I think it's better to implement your own HTTP protocol — at least, that's what the Scratch team did for uploading projects, I think. I could give advice on that if you so wish  smile

Why shouldn't I use the method? Sparks recommended that I use POST to send it. I think I'll at least test it.

#267 2012-05-16 08:45:05

dreamod
New Scratcher

Sparks, can I test sending a block file using the POST method in squeak to the block library? To see if it works?

#268 2012-05-16 11:21:09

sparks
Community Moderator

Well you're welcome to, but it will need a PHP script up at the other end of the transfer. If you tell me the names of each variable you are passing, I can set up a response page.

In the meantime, I've set up www.blocks.scratchr.org/postPing.php which will echo back any POST data that it is sent. If it pings "Array ( ) " then that means it hasn't found any post data, as will happen if you just click that link. If your variable names and values are returned, then you've sent them successfully.

If anyone wants the code:

Code:

<?php
//postPing.php
//function: pings POST data sent to it
print_r($_POST);
?>

#269 2012-05-16 11:24:53

sparks
Community Moderator

For example, I hacked the comment space on this forum to send the data to that page instead of the post page on the Scratch site and the page pinged:

Code:

Array ( [form_sent] => 1 [form_user] => sparks [req_message] => test )

#270 2012-05-17 14:45:39

dreamod
New Scratcher

Ok, I want to send the following: a block file, username, password, and a comment describing the block.

#271 2012-05-18 04:55:02

sparks
Community Moderator

Did the test ping work?

#272 2012-05-18 10:45:07

dreamod
New Scratcher

I can't figure out quite which arguments to use for the smalltalk method.

#273 2012-05-18 11:53:07

sparks
Community Moderator

For sending POST data? I don't know either  sad

#274 2012-05-18 20:10:20

Greenatic
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

For httpPostDocument:args:, it appears the first arg is a String containing the URL and the second is a collection of some sort...the objects of the collection appear to need a "value" method which returns an object with a do: [ ] method.

#275 2012-05-19 07:51:21

dreamod
New Scratcher

Greenatic wrote:

sparks wrote:

For httpPostDocument:args:, it appears the first arg is a String containing the URL and the second is a collection of some sort...the objects of the collection appear to need a "value" method which returns an object with a do: [ ] method.

I think I got that part, but I really need this to work. If I do then I can easily finish the final version.

Board footer