This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-02-24 02:25:24

Kresinho
Scratcher

SDS ruining good projects and promoting bad ones

Okay, for start, just to say, this is MY opinion.

Well, here we go.
SDS (Scratch Design Studio) has a policy to add only those projects to gallery that are not older than 1 month. The result is: many scratchers, when they see the new SDS theme, are making quick and "bad" games in less than half an hour, just to get to the front page.
I am in belief that projects that are made in less than half an hour don't deserve to be on front page, because you have to admitt they are very bad, and they are an insult on scratchers who try hard and don't get frontpaged.

Those quick projects in SDS also inflict that people view them, and then they get on most viewed and most loved page, which is totally absurd. The quality of those projects is way below the quality required to get there. Again, good projects suffer.

As is for me, I would close SDS without blinking. It would remove bad and quick made projects from the front page. But I know many will disagree. Then at least, please add just good and hard working projects to SDS.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to post your opinion.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DV9pqgeDCnY/TNQ5yfQmfiI/AAAAAAAAAC8/ZUbppXRCUas/s1600/hrvatska.jpg

#2 2012-02-24 02:46:30

ProgramCAT
Scratcher

Re: SDS ruining good projects and promoting bad ones

I agree...most front-paged and SDS projects are terrible these days.

Last edited by ProgramCAT (2012-02-24 02:47:29)

Programming is an art...
Goodbye, Scratch. I am leaving because of the exams coming up at our school, though I'll check the forums once or twice a week.

#3 2012-02-24 02:53:36

ssss
Scratcher

They used to be good, in my time.  I believe they just need a revamp.  I might  make a good one.  wink

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

#4 2012-02-24 02:58:30

Zeusking19
Scratcher

Agreed.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2w7e1jm.pnghttp://dragcave.net/image/eFGFz.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/9hE5q.gif

#5 2012-02-24 03:17:50

roijac
Scratcher

>>suggestions?

#6 2012-02-24 03:22:17

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Perhaps only a "top 3", unless they are ALL bad then this wouldn't work- but surely at least 3 could be good enbough

the top 3 get front paged, then after a week the next top three, and then the next...

Last edited by Borrego6165 (2012-02-24 03:22:40)

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#7 2012-02-24 03:24:09

nathanprocks
Scratcher

I rarely have time to look at the projects on the front page. I look at some projects, but most of the time I am using the forums.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#8 2012-02-24 03:34:56

ProgramCAT
Scratcher

Someone should moderate the projects and review them for elegance of scripting, graphic quality and programming level.

Programming is an art...
Goodbye, Scratch. I am leaving because of the exams coming up at our school, though I'll check the forums once or twice a week.

#9 2012-02-24 03:39:11

muppetds
Scratcher

i agree

SCRATCH'S PARTLY INSANE RESIDENT 
http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/31691.pnghttp://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/?name=muppetds

#10 2012-02-24 03:52:05

sparks
Community Moderator

Kresinho wrote:

Okay, for start, just to say, this is MY opinion.

Well, here we go.
SDS (Scratch Design Studio) has a policy to add only those projects to gallery that are not older than 1 month. The result is: many scratchers, when they see the new SDS theme, are making quick and "bad" games in less than half an hour, just to get to the front page.
I am in belief that projects that are made in less than half an hour don't deserve to be on front page, because you have to admitt they are very bad, and they are an insult on scratchers who try hard and don't get frontpaged.

Those quick projects in SDS also inflict that people view them, and then they get on most viewed and most loved page, which is totally absurd. The quality of those projects is way below the quality required to get there. Again, good projects suffer.

As is for me, I would close SDS without blinking. It would remove bad and quick made projects from the front page. But I know many will disagree. Then at least, please add just good and hard working projects to SDS.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to post your opinion.

I'm an SDS curator, and I can totally see where you're coming from. However, I would argue that quickly made projects would still be added if the 1 month rule wasn't there. Scratchers would still be making quick projects to get on the front page. You can't stop this.

Furthermore, there's nothing stopping Scratchers from making complex projects that take a lot of time as the gallery themes last for quite some time. I believe the idea in setting the age limit in the gallery is to encourage Scratchers to make and share something new with the community rather than recycling something old, meaning less projects are on the front page twice. I agree that it's not great when so many cheaply made projects get on the front page, but removing the SDS time limit isn't the solution to this.

I also think this thread goes in suggestions.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#11 2012-02-24 04:37:03

Kresinho
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

I'm an SDS curator, and I can totally see where you're coming from. However, I would argue that quickly made projects would still be added if the 1 month rule wasn't there. Scratchers would still be making quick projects to get on the front page. You can't stop this.

Furthermore, there's nothing stopping Scratchers from making complex projects that take a lot of time as the gallery themes last for quite some time. I believe the idea in setting the age limit in the gallery is to encourage Scratchers to make and share something new with the community rather than recycling something old, meaning less projects are on the front page twice. I agree that it's not great when so many cheaply made projects get on the front page, but removing the SDS time limit isn't the solution to this.

I wasn't thinking of altering the time limit, because I am aware that wouldn't do any better than it is now. I just want to say this to you and all SDS curators: stop adding bad projects to SDS. Yes, it will drastically reduce the number of projects in SDS in first, but as time goes on, I believe more and more quality projects will be seen on SDS gallery

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DV9pqgeDCnY/TNQ5yfQmfiI/AAAAAAAAAC8/ZUbppXRCUas/s1600/hrvatska.jpg

#12 2012-02-24 05:12:44

slinger
Scratcher

I think it encourages new scratchers to keep going if they see their projects on the front page...

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#13 2012-02-24 05:16:32

eventexception
Scratcher

sad  I disagree  sad

Scratch was made for beginners  big_smile

Experienced Scratchers will do a better job
within an hour than newbies.

Both new and experienced Scratchers
have to focus on the SDS theme
and upload their ideas and interpretations of...
versus endless tinkering and polishing.

Quick done projects are easy to remix
versus complex projects are difficult to reuse.

Some big projects never take off
or get glitch free at all.

SDS gives a creative newbie a fair chance to make it to the front page!

#14 2012-02-24 05:17:50

Kresinho
Scratcher

slinger wrote:

I think it encourages new scratchers to keep going if they see their projects on the front page...

That's nice and all, but through the years many good scratchers didn't get their encouragement. They couldn't get to front page because they didn't make projects for SDS (for fame), they made good projects.
So basically, SDS encourages bad scratchers to keep going, and it's destroying those who actually make something worth playing.
My opinion.

#15 2012-02-24 05:19:59

Kresinho
Scratcher

eventexception wrote:

sad  I disagree  sad

Scratch was made for beginners  big_smile

Experienced Scratchers will do a better job
within an hour than newbies.

Both new and experienced Scratchers
have to focus on the SDS theme
and upload their ideas and interpretations of...
versus endless tinkering and polishing.

Quick done projects are easy to remix
versus complex projects are difficult to reuse.

Some big projects never take off
or get glitch free at all.

SDS gives a creative newbie a fair chance to make it to the front page!

Yes, that last sentence you wrote- that is idea of SDS I believe.
But it's not doing that. I can't see one SDS project that is creative. They are all just bunch of "fame seeker" newbies, not creative newbies.

#16 2012-02-24 08:26:23

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Kresinho wrote:

slinger wrote:

That's nice and all, but through the years many good scratchers didn't get their encouragement. They couldn't get to front page because they didn't make projects for SDS (for fame), they made good projects.
So basically, SDS encourages bad scratchers to keep going, and it's destroying those who actually make something worth playing.
My opinion.

We've seen this kind of discussion many times before, and at the root of it lies the question: What is a quality project?

From the words you use, it sounds like you favor games - you use the phrase "make something worth playing." But of course, Scratch isn't for games anymore than it is for animations, stories, or anything else anyone can imagine. You may prefer a certain kind of project, like games, or maybe it's even generally complex projects. That is fine, but Scratch will always be for many different people (girls, boys, animators, gamers, RPGers.) with many different preferences.  Especially beginners.

That said, I do think it would be good if everyone could customize the projects that show up on their front page, at least to some extent. That way if you like a certain kind of project, you can make that kind of project show up on your front page. We're looking into good ways of doing that in the next version, but it's trickier than it looks. It may takes us a while to get it right.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#17 2012-02-24 09:07:33

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Your free to have an opinion, but I'm not sure everything you say is completely true.

As lightnin said, what makes a "good project"?

As for curators adding "bad projects", you must know that curators volunteer their time to serve the community. We aren't given any sort of prize or reward, but we get the thought that we've helped the community, and usually a thanks from our fellow scratchers.

Telling someone their project is bad because it's not what you consider high quality, is not only rude, it's disrespectful.  hmm

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#18 2012-02-24 09:14:21

Greenatic
Scratcher

If it's such a problem, why don't you suggest a solution, instead of bemoaning what you think is a lack of quality?  As stevetheipad said, curators are volunteers--they don't get any sort of reward for donating their time.  Stomping on their opinions is only counterproductive.

#19 2012-02-24 09:37:47

ssss
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

slinger wrote:

My opinion.

We've seen this kind of discussion many times before, and at the root of it lies the question: What is a quality project?

From the words you use, it sounds like you favor games - you use the phrase "make something worth playing." But of course, Scratch isn't for games anymore than it is for animations, stories, or anything else anyone can imagine. You may prefer a certain kind of project, like games, or maybe it's even generally complex projects. That is fine, but Scratch will always be for many different people (girls, boys, animators, gamers, RPGers.) with many different preferences.  Especially beginners.

That said, I do think it would be good if everyone could customize the projects that show up on their front page, at least to some extent. That way if you like a certain kind of project, you can make that kind of project show up on your front page. We're looking into good ways of doing that in the next version, but it's trickier than it looks. It may takes us a while to get it right.

and im like
if $File = game display 'three projects tagged with game'   tongue

yeah, way harder than it looks  smile   Just my mind stripping it down, then realising it wont work  sad

Last edited by ssss (2012-02-24 09:38:10)

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

#20 2012-02-24 09:42:18

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Greenatic wrote:

If it's such a problem, why don't you suggest a solution, instead of bemoaning what you think is a lack of quality?  As stevetheipad said, curators are volunteers--they don't get any sort of reward for donating their time.  Stomping on their opinions is only counterproductive.

Woah, easy now.  smile  Things may have gotten a bit animated up thread, but I don't think we're at the "Stomping on opinions" level.

Let's not confuse a lack of understanding of the goals of SDS with intentional hostility.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#21 2012-02-24 09:45:03

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

Woah, easy now.  smile  Things may have gotten a bit animated up thread, but I don't think we're at the "Stomping on opinions" level.

Let's not confuse a lack of understanding of the goals of SDS with intentional hostility.

Yeah, it's 100% fine to have opinions, but how/where you share them can make all the difference.

But I do agree with Greenatic in the sense, that if someone dislikes something, they should have an idea of how it could be better. I'd love to hear what Scratchers think could be improved with SDS.  big_smile

Last edited by stevetheipad (2012-02-24 09:45:30)

gone

#22 2012-02-24 09:47:47

technoboy10
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

sparks wrote:

I wasn't thinking of altering the time limit, because I am aware that wouldn't do any better than it is now. I just want to say this to you and all SDS curators: stop adding bad projects to SDS. Yes, it will drastically reduce the number of projects in SDS in first, but as time goes on, I believe more and more quality projects will be seen on SDS gallery

I'm also an SDS Curator; and yes, while some of the projects we add might not be the best games ever, the SDS to me is not necessarily about quality. To me, the SDS provides inspiration for Scratchers. A lot of my best and most creative projects have been designed for the SDS. Also, if the projects get into the SDS, they'll get feedback from the community and become better games and projects.

Last edited by technoboy10 (2012-02-24 09:51:15)

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#23 2012-02-24 09:53:25

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Yeah, lots of Scratchers don't always understand SDS and think we select the projects. This isn't true, we only do our job, which is mainly adding projects who meet the requirements.

If you'd like to start your own "showcase" of what you consider "good projects", you're welcome to make a gallery for it.  wink

Last edited by stevetheipad (2012-02-24 09:54:21)

gone

#24 2012-02-24 09:59:06

technoboy10
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

Yeah, lots of Scratchers don't always understand SDS and think we select the projects. This isn't true, we only do our job, which is mainly adding projects who meet the requirements.

If you'd like to start your own "showcase" of what you consider "good projects", you're welcome to make a gallery for it.  wink

Yep! Some examples:
BobbyF's Hall of Games, Eventexception's Replay Replay Replay gallery.

Last edited by technoboy10 (2012-02-24 10:00:29)

So long, 1.4.
http://goo.gl/3JEV9

#25 2012-02-24 09:59:49

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Who cares if they get on the front page? They are randomized a lot since there are many. Most Front paged projects are randomized, but they have less projects. That's just saying that you want to delete Newest Projects. I do not support.

Last edited by ImagineIt (2012-02-24 10:13:00)

Board footer