This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#876 2012-07-21 01:34:14

technoguyx
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

Seeing as you're online, I'll e-mail you a quick render of the raw mix so far. It's 1:30 AM here so I'll continue tomorrow  tongue

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#877 2012-07-21 01:42:52

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Seeing as you're online, I'll e-mail you a quick render of the raw mix so far. It's 1:30 AM here so I'll continue tomorrow  tongue

Yeah, I was wondering what you were doing staying up so late.  tongue

I myself am working early in the morning here.  big_smile

EDIT: Just listened to the track you sent me by e-mail. It's good so far. I replied to you; you might want to check it out. There is a short guitar solo at the end, am I right? It seems buried in the mix for now, but I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-21 01:51:38)

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#878 2012-07-21 09:41:08

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

There is a short guitar solo at the end, am I right? It seems buried in the mix for now, but I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Kinda - hpotter134 improvised quite a bit in the last chorus. It'll be much more prominent in the final mix for sure  smile

#879 2012-07-21 09:57:01

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

DIY wrote:

There is a short guitar solo at the end, am I right? It seems buried in the mix for now, but I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Kinda - hpotter134 improvised quite a bit in the last chorus. It'll be much more prominent in the final mix for sure  smile

Alright. Hope to hear the complete version soon. I may e-mail you the complete instrumental to my A-Minor Song (aka "masterpiece" on first post) soon. Everything is done except vocals and the long guitar solo I shall be doing myself. It sounds great already. It is indeed the final mix, so it will be a polished version you'll hear.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-21 09:57:43)

#880 2012-07-21 11:51:58

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, I have been really busy with Noteflight lately (especially the week before last since Noteflight didn't work for me for a few days this week) and during this thread's recent inactivity, I managed to complete the instrumentation score for five new songs. I have even done the lyrics to one of them (a lovely solo acoustic guitar ballad for Mari to sing, composed on the splendid vacation I had a fortnight ago upcountry). Here they are:

Early December
Chanson sur E minuer (not certain of using this French title yet)
Untitled C-Major Piano Ballad
G Major Piano Ballad
Untitled Song on Em

The last three are piano ballads, all which do not have a guitar part. Somehow I think that my piano ballads just sound nicer without any guitar. The first one is the acoustic ballad I mentioned with lyrics. The second is a tune I've had for ages, waiting for it to be performed, and finally here's an opportunity for it to be recorded.

I also entirely completed the G-Major Ballad duet (now officially titled 'Blissful Rapture'). It was missing lyrics to the second verse and a solo in the middle (not the fading solo), so now those have been covered. I also decided to scrap off the idea of the female interlude since the instrumentation alone in that segment sounds fine as it is. Here's the link:

Blissful Rapture

We certainly do have more than enough songs for a third album, and if we count the countless tunes I still have in mind, we can carry on for much more. I will be updating the first post soon with the two new entirely complete songs, and while I'm at it, I may also change the structure to a more simplistic and easily distinguishable one.

Also, the A-Minor "masterpiece" has been fully mixed save for the vocals and the long ending guitar solo. It sounds - fabulous... to say the least...! The lead guitar literally screams at you! I'd prefer to e-mail you the entire thing once it's done, so that you will be stunned by the overall outcome. As for when I'll complete it, I'm not sure, but perhaps next week; I can't be certain on that.

All I can say is, prepare to be blown away!  big_smile

#881 2012-07-21 13:06:52

technoguyx
Scratcher

Well, we're pretty much set for our third album now  tongue  I'll check out all of the songs and tell you what I think of each.

I recorded my bass vocal track for OOtP. It's not perfect, though at a low level in the mix it sounds good and gives the song much more depth. I'm currently messing with a bit of harmony that LolaRose recorded on her track (it was mixed in with the actual vocal track - due to ambiguity in my annotations I presume), sounds pretty good with Mari's track.

#882 2012-07-21 13:22:55

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Well, we're pretty much set for our third album now  tongue  I'll check out all of the songs and tell you what I think of each.

I recorded my bass vocal track for OOtP. It's not perfect, though at a low level in the mix it sounds good and gives the song much more depth. I'm currently messing with a bit of harmony that LolaRose recorded on her track (it was mixed in with the actual vocal track - due to ambiguity in my annotations I presume), sounds pretty good with Mari's track.

OK, I hope the third harmony will sound fine. The mix you sent me sounded good with Mari's vocals alone, but your bass voice buried into it will be nice.

#883 2012-07-21 13:50:35

technoguyx
Scratcher

Massive feedback dump, engage.

Early December - Love that guitar and the lyrics, the solo too... Love the song overall.  big_smile  Definitely going in this album if you ask me. It's obviously ready for recording and hpotter134 and Mari (and you? idk who records what though I'm sure hpotter can handle that lead) should get right away to it - the first post list needs updating  tongue

Chanson sur E-mineur - Totally picturing an accordion playing along to this, or at least the intro. Like the darker tone of the song. Some parts sound a bit weird in Noteflight, I suppose they'll sound cleaner on record. Ends a bit too suddenly, is it meant to fade out?

C Piano Ballad - Standard I-V-vi-IV progression with a typical rock beat... Nothing really shines about this song; though it doesn't sound bad. If we want this song to be worth recording, it needs vocals which would likely be the center of the song.

G Piano Ballad - I'm sure I've heard this before, did you share it earlier? I love that fast drum beat, that plus the sustained piano gives the song a pretty trance-y feel - I think it could sound awesome with a catchier bassline (even just applying a funkier rhythm could suffice - I'll take care of it when we record this). Some subtle, short guitar chords in the later verses, accentuating certain beats, might sound good too.

Em Piano Ballad - Lol this one sounds like something between the two previous ones. Generic, and applying the same catchy drum beat + sustained piano combination. As it sounds a bit too much like the Ballad in G, we'd be better off considering only that one, if you ask me.

Blissful Rapture - Nice addition to the intro. I actually liked the first version's leading into the first verse, sounds a bit too sudden of a change to me now. Nice lyrics. Just had ideas for the first guitar solo, before the male vocal interlude.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-07-21 13:51:41)

#884 2012-07-21 14:29:25

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Massive feedback dump, engage.

Early December - Love that guitar and the lyrics, the solo too... Love the song overall.  big_smile  Definitely going in this album if you ask me. It's obviously ready for recording and hpotter134 and Mari (and you? idk who records what though I'm sure hpotter can handle that lead) should get right away to it - the first post list needs updating  tongue

Chanson sur E-mineur - Totally picturing an accordion playing along to this, or at least the intro. Like the darker tone of the song. Some parts sound a bit weird in Noteflight, I suppose they'll sound cleaner on record. Ends a bit too suddenly, is it meant to fade out?

C Piano Ballad - Standard I-V-vi-IV progression with a typical rock beat... Nothing really shines about this song; though it doesn't sound bad. If we want this song to be worth recording, it needs vocals which would likely be the center of the song.

G Piano Ballad - I'm sure I've heard this before, did you share it earlier? I love that fast drum beat, that plus the sustained piano gives the song a pretty trance-y feel - I think it could sound awesome with a catchier bassline (even just applying a funkier rhythm could suffice - I'll take care of it when we record this). Some subtle, short guitar chords in the later verses, accentuating certain beats, might sound good too.

Em Piano Ballad - Lol this one sounds like something between the two previous ones. Generic, and applying the same catchy drum beat + sustained piano combination. As it sounds a bit too much like the Ballad in G, we'd be better off considering only that one, if you ask me.

Blissful Rapture - Nice addition to the intro. I actually liked the first version's leading into the first verse, sounds a bit too sudden of a change to me now. Nice lyrics. Just had ideas for the first guitar solo, before the male vocal interlude.

Thanks for the feedback.  smile

The first song is fit for recording then, glad you like it. I shall be recording guitar for it, probably the entire thing because I'm familiar with it. Mari can record vocals for this soon.

Yeah, the next song could have a fade out, buton real guitar, it sounds much better. That applies to the entire thing, so no worries there. Your' right; an accordian would sound nice on this, or maybe a mellotrone.

Trust me, the next song sounds majestic on real piano. It is actually a song I love to jam on my piano whenever I have time (sounds like Amsterdam and Let It Be sort of, if you have heard them; two of my favourite songs by Coldplay and The Beatles). The piano bass notes will sound much richer and fuller and with vocals, it sure will be great. I love the piano solo too.

The next song really is a great favourite of mine and I agree, I love the trancey feel of the sus piano. I will be utilising the sus pedal to get that effect of course and I hope jslomba will be abl to play the catchy drum beat well. I'd prefer if you followed my bass line for this song, but I guess there's no harm if you decide to improvise anyway.

To the next song, I have some lead guitar licks in mind that will give the song a ditinct sound. I usually don't implement guitar parts to my piano ballads on Noteflight as they sound awful, but instead, I'm going to add them along as we record. Also, I purposely intended this to be a sort of 'sister song' to the previous one (I like the progressions of both songs equally well), as bands ocassionally do; you know, a song with a similar backbeat (like Clocks and Speed of Sound, to quote another Coldplay example). So lol, it was intentional indeed and I was fully aware of that.  tongue

Please do post your ideas for the solo before the male interlude if you had one in mind for 'Blissful Rapture'. I usually don't find solos a problem, but it is difficult for me to get a right-sounding one for this song somehow. Glad you like the lyrics. They sound poetic, don't they? About the intro leading off into the song; The tempo of the intro segment slows down gradually (I'll be doing so when mixing) until it comes to a stop and picks up again into the song. The effect is good in my head, so I may or may not leave it as it is, if you feel strongly about the change.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-23 00:30:50)

#885 2012-07-21 14:51:56

technoguyx
Scratcher

E-mailing you a MIDI of my solo idea. After I'm done writing both solos we can add Blissful Rapture to recording priority.

#886 2012-07-21 22:16:41

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

E-mailing you a MIDI of my solo idea. After I'm done writing both solos we can add Blissful Rapture to recording priority.

Most certainly we'll prioritise that too. Thanks for the e-mail.

#887 2012-07-22 12:07:10

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, here's yet another song idea of mine. I know, I seriously am flooding with ideas now.  tongue

It has a nice acoustic guitar intro and I still haven't thought up a chorus, but your help here is appreciated if you can do so. That reminds me; I had one or two songs you mentioned you could help me complete (I was stuck for chorus ideas again), so maybe after this one, you can help out with those too?). That's if you are able to contribute to this song (and the rest I'll maybe link later if you can undertake the task), otherwise I'll keep working and try to figure out different parts to them myself.

#888 2012-07-22 12:43:03

technoguyx
Scratcher

Like it, might check back to add something later as I gotta go out now (for a short while).

#889 2012-07-22 12:46:23

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Like it, might check back to add something later as I gotta go out now (for a short while).

Alright, thanks. Glad you liked it.

#890 2012-07-22 13:16:35

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

Sorry I've been disappearing here and there over the past few days - family vacations tend to be like that.  tongue

Anyhow, I was told there were some songs I need to record?

#891 2012-07-22 15:00:58

technoguyx
Scratcher

DIY's "Early December" and "Blissful Rapture", I believe. The latter is a male-female duet.

#892 2012-07-22 16:32:31

hpotter134
Scratcher

Here's the main guitar track for Early December. Nice job, DIY, I like the song  smile

It's the same picking pattern (called Travis Picking) as the Beatles used in Julia and Dear Prudence, did you use it consciously, or did it accidentally come up while you were playing the song?

EDIT: Can you two CC the rest of the band in your emails? There's been a lot of references to the secret "email I sent you"  tongue

Last edited by hpotter134 (2012-07-22 16:40:00)

http://i45.tinypic.com/fxgtvc.png

#893 2012-07-22 21:09:50

technoguyx
Scratcher

That track of yours sounds pretty good hpotter  smile  I wonder why DIY didn't seem to consider you playing it.

hpotter134 wrote:

EDIT: Can you two CC the rest of the band in your emails? There's been a lot of references to the secret "email I sent you"  tongue

I really don't like how band discussion seems to be restricted to me and DIY at times... The reason behind this is that this is a thread that everyone can see, and both DIY and I have agreed in that people outside the band must see as little as possible before we release the album. I believe it's fine for me (and you'd perhaps even expect me) to send the rest of the band the guitar solo and the OOtP mix so far - I'll do so now.

EDIT: I can't find jslomba and LolaRose's e-mails, I'll share the private track of OOtP with them both through SoundCloud. I don't have any way to contact Mari, though.  hmm

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-07-22 21:32:04)

#894 2012-07-22 22:19:56

DIY
Scratcher

hpotter134 wrote:

Here's the main guitar track for Early December. Nice job, DIY, I like the song  smile

It's the same picking pattern (called Travis Picking) as the Beatles used in Julia and Dear Prudence, did you use it consciously, or did it accidentally come up while you were playing the song?

Firstly, thanks for the compliment about the song.  smile

You're spot on about the Travis Picking! I was aware it was called so and was really keen on learning it (I'm a huge fan of The Beatles  big_smile ) and even wanted to experiment with a song like that. I have learned Julia and Dear Prudence too.  tongue  I can see you're a fan of them too from your SoundCloud 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' track. It's pretty good!

I recorded 'Early December' yesterday on guitar since I am so familiar with the pattern, but I'll compare yours and my track and see which one sounds better. I hope you're as proficient of the pattern as me. If there's hardly a difference between the two, I'll definitely prioritise your track.  smile

EDIT: Just listened to your track and it sounds good. I'll be using it in the final mix, although there are mistakes at about 1:15 and 1:43, so congratulations!  cool

technoguyx wrote:

That track of yours sounds pretty good hpotter  smile  I wonder why DIY didn't seem to consider you playing it.

hpotter134 wrote:

I really don't like how band discussion seems to be restricted to me and DIY at times... The reason behind this is that this is a thread that everyone can see, and both DIY and I have agreed in that people outside the band must see as little as possible before we release the album. I believe it's fine for me (and you'd perhaps even expect me) to send the rest of the band the guitar solo and the OOtP mix so far - I'll do so now.

EDIT: I can't find jslomba and LolaRose's e-mails, I'll share the private track of OOtP with them both through SoundCloud. I don't have any way to contact Mari, though.  hmm

Well, it is understandable that the two managers should discuss these matters beforehand, especially since it is stuff like raw mixes, etc. Once we are done with what will be the final mix (or at least what we think will be it), we can share with the rest and see if they have any more feedback. If there are stuff to fix still, we can do so with no worries. I hope you understand.  smile

Also, I do not know the e-mails either of jslomba and LolaRose, but let us just follow this current policy for now. I guarantee you, you'll be able to see a great song of mine fully mixed soon.

Don't worry about Mari (ContinentalRain since you two will be familiar with that). I can contact her through Twitter and Tumblr. I even have her e-mail, but she has warned me that she doesn't check that too often. I know an awful lot of ways to contact her since I tracked her down through a series of links.  tongue

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-23 04:44:22)

#895 2012-07-22 22:32:19

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

Sorry I've been disappearing here and there over the past few days - family vacations tend to be like that.  tongue

Mari, here are the completed songs you need to record of mine (techno linked you, but I'll link again):

- Blissful Rapture (the duet you enjoyed very much)
- Early December (a beautiful solo acoustic ballad)

I need you to sing the second vocalist's part too for the latter as well as the first, and of course the entire female part for the duet. If you are having problems pitching the first, do tell me and I'll bring the pitch down.

Hope to hear them uploaded this week as you mentioned you could on Tumblr a while back!  smile

#896 2012-07-23 08:40:45

ContinentalRain
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

Mari, here are the completed songs you need to record of mine (techno linked you, but I'll link again):

I need you to sing the second vocalist's part too for the latter as well as the first, and of course the entire female part for the duet. If you are having problems pitching the first, do tell me and I'll bring the pitch down.

Hope to hear them uploaded this week as you mentioned you could on Tumblr a while back!  smile

Alright, I'll get that done sometime this week.  smile

#897 2012-07-23 08:43:17

DIY
Scratcher

ContinentalRain wrote:

DIY wrote:

ContinentalRain wrote:

Alright, I'll get that done sometime this week.  smile

Great! Remember, if you have troubles with the high notes in the duet, tell me so and I can change the key of it.  smile

#898 2012-07-23 10:15:55

DIY
Scratcher

Techno, I completed the song I linked you to yesterday (only the intro was done then). Here it is.

You did mention you liked it (the acoustic intro was very nice, but I decided to add piano to it as well and now it sounds fabulous). I intentionally made it quite repetitive because of the intro, interludes and vocals running on the same chords; it will sound completely different when recorded (as you can see by the dynamics on the score, more the volume of the instruments is brought down in the verses and choruses). And the ending purposely ends on an anticipatory note. So any feedback other than that will be appreciated.

It is almost solely a piano and guitar song except for the small drums and bass cameo at the end which I quite like. And there are some crazily fast drum rolls.  big_smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-23 10:23:47)

#899 2012-07-23 11:19:40

technoguyx
Scratcher

Loved the dynamics and the song as well. Not sure if jslomba can handle the fast drum rolls, though  hmm

#900 2012-07-23 11:56:12

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Loved the dynamics and the song as well. Not sure if jslomba can handle the fast drum rolls, though  hmm

Yeah. I thought so too.

If he can't handle them, I can use a drum machine for the fast drum rolls.

EDIT: 900th post!

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-23 12:14:07)

Board footer