This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#801 2012-07-03 22:24:07

technoguyx
Scratcher

Re: Frozen Coco - The Online Rock Band

@LolaRose, great, hope to hear your track soon  smile

@DIY, told them.

jslomba wrote:

I just finished an instrumental, called -Ersatz II-. I Hope you'll consider putting it in the album

The track can be pretty weird at times, really differs from our usual style. I still like the overall "creepy" feel of it, even if that's unintended. I'd like to point out too, that you can't perform vibrato on a piano.  tongue  Many notes of the bass part are out of the chord too, causing some serious dissonance.

We could use some parts of the track for an interlude of sorts, or even a hidden track, replacing the piano by various electronic instruments. I do recall DIY mentioning he wanted to experiment with various effects and electronic instruments on our music. Whatever we do, I'm sure we'll end up taking a more experimental direction if we go with this track  smile

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-07-03 22:25:16)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#802 2012-07-05 10:53:46

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

@LolaRose, great, hope to hear your track soon  smile

@DIY, told them.

Thanks a lot, buddy!  big_smile

Just returned home after a 7 hour ride on the lonely countryside roads; I must say that they are gorgeous! I came up with a couple of tunes on my acoustic guitar on the sandy beaches which I'll post soon.  tongue

Have you got holidays yet?

technoguyx wrote:

jslomba wrote:

I just finished an instrumental, called -Ersatz II-. I Hope you'll consider putting it in the album

The track can be pretty weird at times, really differs from our usual style. I still like the overall "creepy" feel of it, even if that's unintended. I'd like to point out too, that you can't perform vibrato on a piano.  tongue  Many notes of the bass part are out of the chord too, causing some serious dissonance.

We could use some parts of the track for an interlude of sorts, or even a hidden track, replacing the piano by various electronic instruments. I do recall DIY mentioning he wanted to experiment with various effects and electronic instruments on our music. Whatever we do, I'm sure we'll end up taking a more experimental direction if we go with this track  smile

You're right about -Ersatz II-. I do agree that the bass notes sound rather discordant in certain places.

As you say, we could experiment with electronic instruments and effects to explore the different depths and dimensions of music. On the whole though, jslomba, I think this is a big improvement from your usual song-writing style.  smile

@ All4one: I love your album title suggestions and they will definitely be considered.  cool

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#803 2012-07-05 14:52:31

technoguyx
Scratcher

My winter holidays started yesterday.  smile  Hoping to hear these tunes soon, we could use at least one vocal-guitar only (or mostly) tune now that I think about it. Now that I remember, I really should finish my own ideas.  hmm  I'm trying to come up with a vocal track for the funky song and something to follow the piano intro of "Memories".

I forgot to point out that jslomba improved quite a bit too.  smile  All4one's album title ideas are good, too.

#804 2012-07-05 23:14:07

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

My winter holidays started yesterday.  smile  Hoping to hear these tunes soon, we could use at least one vocal-guitar only (or mostly) tune now that I think about it. Now that I remember, I really should finish my own ideas.  hmm  I'm trying to come up with a vocal track for the funky song and something to follow the piano intro of "Memories".

I forgot to point out that jslomba improved quite a bit too.  smile  All4one's album title ideas are good, too.

Yup. Hope to see your song ideas complete soon.  smile

#805 2012-07-06 06:35:38

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/LolaRose1892.png

#806 2012-07-06 06:53:00

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of The Possible

The recording is good. There are a few weak points; I would think techno can fix that when mixing and once we have his vocal track, it shouldn't sound bad. With the harmonics, it is hard to get a clear tune in mind, but I'm sure it'll go well with techno's bass vocals.

#807 2012-07-06 09:30:36

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of The Possible

The recording is good. There are a few weak points; I would think techno can fix that when mixing and once we have his vocal track, it shouldn't sound bad. With the harmonics, it is hard to get a clear tune in mind, but I'm sure it'll go well with techno's bass vocals.

Okay, awesome.  smile

#808 2012-07-06 17:16:55

technoguyx
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of The Possible

Sounds good - only the high harmony on the second pre-chorus (I think) sounds a bit weird when mixed with the main melody, that wasn't what I intended. But as DIY mentioned, that can be edited when mixing.

I think we should sort out our song list in the first post, according to how complete they are and how many tracks are missing. Should be like this right now iirc:

Absolutely done - prioritize recording here:
- "Out of the Possible" (technoguyx) (missing drums, male vocals, piano)

Only needs vocals - record these too:
- Untitled, Opening (DIY) (done?)
- Untitled "funky" song (DIY) (idk what's missing here - DIY should)
- Untitled "smooth while not slow" song (technoguyx) (missing guitar, vocals must be written)
- Untitled, "masterpiece" (DIY) (idk what's missing here either)
- Untitled D-Minor Piano Ballad (DIY) (same)
- Untitled "at first sad, catchy later" (technoguyx) (missing drums and a lead guitar track, vocals need to be written)
- Untitled Mellow Song (hpotter134) (nothing recorded yet)

Still in progress/needs touching up - don't record yet:
- "Flashback" (jslomba) (needs some bass and guitar and we call it done)
- "-Ersatz-" (jslomba) (could be rewritten a bit)
- Untitled Ballad on G-Major (DIY) (vocals need some work, a guitar solo should be written)
- Untitled C-Major Song (DIY) (intro only)
- Untitled Am Sad Song (DIY) (intro only)
- "-Ersatz II-" (jslomba) (could use rewritting too)

DIY, feel free to edit anything in the new list when/if you add it to the first post, and notice that there are some tracks where I don't know what is recorded, make sure to fill that in.

Last night I came up with some lyrics to jslomba's "Untitled 2":

I reckon you may have heard,
about a shadow, stalking the streets,
he ain't one more in the herd,
his monotone dwelling leaves,
at night.

The rhythm here is fairly similar to the cello/electric guitar track in the song - mostly straight quavers/8th notes. The theme is really vague right now, but I'm sure it'll fit the darker feel of the song, compared to the rest of the songs we've done.

EDIT: I just noticed "Untitled 2" is now titled "-Ersatz-".  tongue  Ersatz is a word of German origin that means "inferior in quality", I could see if I can fit my lyrics to that, that is if jslomba likes what I have so far  wink  When writing the lyrics I coincidentally had in mind the definition of the word, applied to a person. A person that feels or is inferior to the rest. An ersatz man, pretty much.

Last edited by technoguyx (2012-07-06 17:26:15)

#809 2012-07-06 23:53:52

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of The Possible

Sounds good - only the high harmony on the second pre-chorus (I think) sounds a bit weird when mixed with the main melody, that wasn't what I intended. But as DIY mentioned, that can be edited when mixing.

I think we should sort out our song list in the first post, according to how complete they are and how many tracks are missing. Should be like this right now iirc:

- Untitled "smooth while not slow" song (technoguyx) (missing guitar, vocals must be written)
- Untitled "at first sad, catchy later" (technoguyx) (missing drums and a lead guitar track, vocals need to be written)

- Untitled Ballad on G-Major (DIY) (vocals need some work, a guitar solo should be written)

DIY, feel free to edit anything in the new list when/if you add it to the first post, and notice that there are some tracks where I don't know what is recorded, make sure to fill that in.

at night.

The rhythm here is fairly similar to the cello/electric guitar track in the song - mostly straight quavers/8th notes. The theme is really vague right now, but I'm sure it'll fit the darker feel of the song, compared to the rest of the songs we've done.

EDIT: I just noticed "Untitled 2" is now titled "-Ersatz-".  tongue  Ersatz is a word of German origin that means "inferior in quality", I could see if I can fit my lyrics to that, that is if jslomba likes what I have so far  wink  When writing the lyrics I coincidentally had in mind the definition of the word, applied to a person. A person that feels or is inferior to the rest. An ersatz man, pretty much.

Woah, thanks for taking all the trouble to do this!

I planned to do it soon, but in a slightly different way, though I suppose only small changes to this should be fine. The lyrics to Untitled 2 (Ersatz) sound generic again, but I suppose it suits the tune. The 8th notes will be OK when recorded on guitar; I gave it a listen - sounds good. The German translation is cool. First implementation of another language in any form in one of our songs. I myself planned to add a French segment in one of my own songs; I'll probably add it later.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-07 01:50:41)

#810 2012-07-10 04:34:28

LolaRose1892
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

technoguyx wrote:

LolaRose1892 wrote:

Out of The Possible

at night.

Woah, thanks for taking all the trouble to do this!

I planned to do it soon, but in a slightly different way, though I suppose only small changes to this should be fine. The lyrics to Untitled 2 (Ersatz) sound generic again, but I suppose it suits the tune. The 8th notes will be OK when recorded on guitar; I gave it a listen - sounds good. The German translation is cool. First implementation of another language in any form in one of our songs. I myself planned to add a French segment in one of my own songs; I'll probably add it later.

So what all else do I have to sing, and what is READY for me to record?

#811 2012-07-10 06:27:30

DIY
Scratcher

LolaRose1892 wrote:

So what all else do I have to sing, and what is READY for me to record?

Well, unfortunately there aren't any other songs with lyrics yet, apart from my G-major Ballad. That too is missing the female vocal interlude which techno and I still need to figure out. If you have any ideas for a tune to the female interlude, go ahead and edit the score by saving a copy.  hmm

Meanwhile, I'd say you should practise that song.  smile

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-10 06:27:55)

#812 2012-07-10 13:54:53

technoguyx
Scratcher

Not much has been happing around here lately  tongue  I'm currently concentrating on practicing some songs for a metal cover band I was invited to - and said style is pretty demanding for me, since all I've been playing in bass until now is FC's songs which tend to be much simpler.

I still gotta record a guitar track for one of my own songs (sad then catchy), and write some solo ideas I had for the G-Major ballad. I'll get to that as soon as I can find time.

#813 2012-07-10 14:03:39

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Sorry for never posting an example. I'm currently looking into Reason Essentials. After I get used to it, I will look further into collaborating a song together.  smile

#814 2012-07-10 21:55:42

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Not much has been happing around here lately  tongue  I'm currently concentrating on practicing some songs for a metal cover band I was invited to - and said style is pretty demanding for me, since all I've been playing in bass until now is FC's songs which tend to be much simpler.

I still gotta record a guitar track for one of my own songs (sad then catchy), and write some solo ideas I had for the G-Major ballad. I'll get to that as soon as I can find time.

Yeah, I've been rather busy too with my programming side on Scratch. Being well-known on the main site has its demands from the fans to produce more games. I still haven't recorded any of your songs, but I have completely done all mine which is good. I've started mixing many of my songs at a stretch (working on compressing the drum tracks atm; I may scrap off hpotter's guitar tracks for some of my songs and play them myself as they are way too inconsistent - he tends to struggle with rhythm). Hope to release a couple of singles soon.

#815 2012-07-11 13:32:20

technoguyx
Scratcher

^Are we going to release singles before the whole album?

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

Sorry for never posting an example. I'm currently looking into Reason Essentials. After I get used to it, I will look further into collaborating a song together.  smile

Oh right, we were going to see if we could collaborate with you about 20 pages ago  tongue  You write electronic music, am I right?

#816 2012-07-11 22:49:42

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

^Are we going to release singles before the whole album?

'Course we are, like a real-life band would release singles that will later go into an album release.  tongue

Tunes just keep flooding me with ideas for our next albums (intentional plural). There are just too many to fit in one. I'll be sharing a whole load of them with you soon.  smile

#817 2012-07-12 22:19:49

technoguyx
Scratcher

I'm sure we'll release many more content after this album  smile

Just came back from rehearsal with this metal band I was invited to. Been a while since my ears rang this much.  hmm  Most things went well except for the vocalist not knowing the rhythm of every song  tongue

This thread has been seriously lacking activity lately.

#818 2012-07-12 23:08:08

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

I'm sure we'll release many more content after this album  smile

Just came back from rehearsal with this metal band I was invited to. Been a while since my ears rang this much.  hmm  Most things went well except for the vocalist not knowing the rhythm of every song  tongue

This thread has been seriously lacking activity lately.

Oh, you have no idea what I have been doing during this thread's 'seemingly long inactive period'.  tongue

I have about five songs I'll be sharing with you at once (these can be released after the second album as you say), plus I've been working on lyrical arrangements to some of my songs. I'll get to recording the songs I haven't completed soon (btw, you can start recording the Am Sad Song on the first post).

I have another BIG surprise for you (you will never guess) but you will be pleasantly surprised when I show you soon.  big_smile

You're right, there'll be a lot more content to release after this album! The band is heading in a very good direction; if you'd ask me, FC could really take off one day.  smile

The metal band sounds interesting to me. Not really my type of music though I like some metal bands. Pity about the vocalist though. Are you rehearsing for a series of gigs or just one? Seems a lot of effort.

#819 2012-07-13 18:13:37

technoguyx
Scratcher

Well, I guess I can wait for all the content you're coming up with then  smile

We're rehearsing for just one gig.

#820 2012-07-13 22:28:05

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Well, I guess I can wait for all the content you're coming up with then  smile

We're rehearsing for just one gig.

Cool.  smile

I can assure you, the wait won't be long; I'm almost done with my songs and the surprise will come soon.  big_smile

#821 2012-07-15 14:51:35

technoguyx
Scratcher

Some ideas for the G-Major Ballad's ending solo. only got about 12 bars done.

#822 2012-07-15 22:44:31

DIY
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

Some ideas for the G-Major Ballad's ending solo. only got about 12 bars done.

Again, can you change permissions so I can view the score?  tongue

#823 2012-07-16 13:26:05

technoguyx
Scratcher

always forget that... done.

#824 2012-07-16 13:47:32

DIY
Scratcher

It's good, I like it. Sounds very Latino-ish, probably influenced by the style of music found in the Latin American region where you live. It suits the song well.  smile

You may start recording that solo now along with the bass on my score linked on the first post.

Last edited by DIY (2012-07-16 13:48:55)

#825 2012-07-16 14:13:40

technoguyx
Scratcher

I still need to write a little more of the solo before recording it  tongue  We wanted to make it 32 bars, though we might have to go with only 16 if I can't come up with more.

Board footer