This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-02-16 17:15:48

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

App Programming

Does anyone here know how or knows anyone who can program an app?

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#2 2012-02-16 17:24:40

Greenatic
Scratcher

Re: App Programming

I'm learning Android, and failing for the most part.   sad

#3 2012-02-16 17:38:13

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Nah :c

Why

#4 2012-02-16 17:42:20

samtwheels
Scratcher

What kind of app? Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Java, there are too many platforms to count!

#5 2012-02-16 17:50:00

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

What kind of app? Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Java, there are too many platforms to count!

iOS/Android

Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#6 2012-02-16 17:51:23

samtwheels
Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

iOS/Android

oh. I only do windows.

#7 2012-02-16 17:56:41

Greenatic
Scratcher

What are you looking for?  Something complicated, or something simple?

#8 2012-02-16 18:01:04

16Skittles
Scratcher

Ugh. Don't bother making apps for iOS for the following reasons. Program for Android instead.

1.) You need to pay $99 per year. *AHEM* HTML5 is free and runs on any platform, be that phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop.

2.) You need to buy a Mac. *Shields for flaming* I will once again state my well repeated opinion that I love Mac hardware, but dislike Apple's business policies. In the first place, you must have spent a few hundred on an iDevice, that combined with the $99 per year fee, hasn't Apple gotten enough of my money? Also, if you think Macs are not overpriced please explain to me how the MacBook Air 11 inch costs $999 for a 64GB SSD (I understand SSDs are expensive) and 2GB of RAM. I'm sorry but that is pathetic. For $99 there should be AT LEAST four. [/rant]

3.) Apple's platform is closed, Android is Open Source. Apple's platform is horribly proprietary. All of their apps must be made on their machines, they have only certain functions that can be accessed by apps (without jailbreaking, of course) and still, all apps need to be submitted to Apple for analysis before they are added to the App Store. (Hence the rage of us with iDevices waiting for our ability to get back at the Android users with survival mode in MC: Pocket Edition)

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#9 2012-02-16 18:03:12

ChunkyMonkeyGames
New Scratcher

I'm a beginner, but still can develop apps for iPhone and iPad. I just haven't had any good ideas yet.

#10 2012-02-16 18:15:06

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

Greenatic wrote:

Complicated.

#11 2012-02-16 18:29:36

poopo
Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

Greenatic wrote:

Complicated.

Learn Java it's the best for all platforms.  wink

http://i45.tinypic.com/28rnqki.jpg

#12 2012-02-16 19:02:24

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

bump

#13 2012-02-16 19:51:41

samtwheels
Scratcher

What type of app do you want made?

#14 2012-02-16 20:12:06

ChunkyMonkeyGames
New Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

iOS/Android

^

#15 2012-02-16 21:32:10

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

Here's a description:

For my app idea, I wanted to combine exercising, sports, and fitness with video games. This app does just that. Many types of exercises will be implemented as part of the app, from running and sports to stretching and yoga. After you exercise and rest, you submit how long you have exercised that day, as well as if you exercised with two or more people. While you enter in the data, you must put your finger on the camera. This way, the app can detect if you are lying due to a high pulse. If the user does not put your finger on the camera, he/she will be asked to try again. With the submitted information, the app calculates how many points you have earned. The longer you exercise and whether or not you exercise with a group determine how many points you get. You get a greater amount of points if you exercise longer AND if you exercise with a group. The points you get can unlock items, such as virtual trophies and games to play. For Mario Kart addicts, there’s a simple Mario Kart-like game. If you like Super Mario Bros., you can play Super You Bros., a game involving yourself as the hero, antagonist, or enemy. Those two games as well as the gameplay can only be bought with your points. This means once you get the game, you play the game and never exercise again. Instead, you have to buy gameplay every half hour. Also, there are two other games. There is a laser tag-like game involving the GPS. You run around, trying to find your opponents. When you get close enough, your phone vibrates, telling you an opponent is near. Then, when you press their icon, you get points, and the opponent cannot play until he respawns (the wait is five seconds).

I'll delete it once you get the idea and/or save it to your computer.

Last edited by undefeatedgames (2012-02-16 21:32:33)

#16 2012-02-16 21:35:27

Greenatic
Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

Here's a description:

For my app idea, I wanted to combine exercising, sports, and fitness with video games. This app does just that. Many types of exercises will be implemented as part of the app, from running and sports to stretching and yoga. After you exercise and rest, you submit how long you have exercised that day, as well as if you exercised with two or more people. While you enter in the data, you must put your finger on the camera. This way, the app can detect if you are lying due to a high pulse. If the user does not put your finger on the camera, he/she will be asked to try again. With the submitted information, the app calculates how many points you have earned. The longer you exercise and whether or not you exercise with a group determine how many points you get. You get a greater amount of points if you exercise longer AND if you exercise with a group. The points you get can unlock items, such as virtual trophies and games to play. For Mario Kart addicts, there’s a simple Mario Kart-like game. If you like Super Mario Bros., you can play Super You Bros., a game involving yourself as the hero, antagonist, or enemy. Those two games as well as the gameplay can only be bought with your points. This means once you get the game, you play the game and never exercise again. Instead, you have to buy gameplay every half hour. Also, there are two other games. There is a laser tag-like game involving the GPS. You run around, trying to find your opponents. When you get close enough, your phone vibrates, telling you an opponent is near. Then, when you press their icon, you get points, and the opponent cannot play until he respawns (the wait is five seconds).

That is way too complicated for any human to accomplish.   hmm

#17 2012-02-16 21:41:34

16Skittles
Scratcher

First: The fingerprint scanner thing is impossible, you can't "see" the pulse on your fingertip even if there was actually some light on the camera (which the finger would block).

Second: if someone had been working out, wouldnt they have a high heart rate?

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#18 2012-02-16 21:50:00

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

Greenatic wrote:

undefeatedgames wrote:

samtwheels wrote:

Here's a description:

That is way too complicated for any human to accomplish.   hmm

How? Then maybe several people on a team?

#19 2012-02-16 22:26:34

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Learning to make a few Macintosh apps  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#20 2012-02-16 22:38:22

kayybee
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

[insert random rant here]

Super long rant about why apple is not bad:
Let's see. If you were really novice and just wanted to develop a simple app, you would be smart and use HTML5. iOS supports WebKit (along with android).

Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with android, but I'm saying there's something wrong with your rant toward apple.

who cares if apple is making a lot of money? at least we're getting computers that work (they don't selfdestruct and not like windows that
Will
Install
Needless
Data
On
Whole
System
macs are for professional people who know how to use it.)

androids are cool and all, but there's nothing wrong with iDevices. If you made around a dollar for every sale, and just get 10,000 downloads, you wouldn't have to care about the developer program fee or the mac fee (especially if you already have one because you should if you're wise about your computer choice). if you're not getting around 60,000 (because of the royalty fee) dollars, then you should make a better app. if you can't then maybe app making isn't your thing.[/offtopic]
Anyways, to make an ios app, they have things for windows like corona, but if you want to really get professional and stuff, get a mac and get xcode. (if you can't afford one, get a mac mini, only several hundred dollars)

and then for android, download that google api or something.

btw, i don't think people will create this crazy idea for you, so i think you're on your own. and if this is too hard, then maybe you should learn things that are easier than cocoa first.

Last edited by kayybee (2012-02-16 22:38:40)

#21 2012-02-16 23:06:25

luiysia
Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

After you exercise and rest, you submit how long you have exercised that day, as well as if you exercised with two or more people. While you enter in the data, you must put your finger on the camera. This way, the app can detect if you are lying due to a high pulse. If the user does not put your finger on the camera, he/she will be asked to try again.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible - the pulse ANYWHERE is too faint to be seen unless you worked out really hard or are really angry, even in daylight, and the finger would block out light. Plus, if they just worked out, they would already have a high heart rate.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#22 2012-02-16 23:25:15

samtwheels
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

they don't selfdestruct and not like windows that

I've used windows all my life, has never crashed, blue screened, or anything like that.

#23 2012-02-17 00:02:26

kayybee
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

kayybee wrote:

they don't selfdestruct and not like windows that

I've used windows all my life, has never crashed, blue screened, or anything like that.

've you gotten a virus? anyways, people like me need new apps and are just reckless when downloading things (when i have enough disk space, that is) and don't care about viruses cause i won't get 'em.

and i'm not the only one in the world btw.

Also, if you want to have like a million things opened, that's when your computer will crash (windows)

Last edited by kayybee (2012-02-17 00:03:00)

#24 2012-02-17 00:11:34

ProgramCAT
Scratcher

Apps aren't that hard to make if you find a good tutorial.
Android Tutorial  tongue

Programming is an art...
Goodbye, Scratch. I am leaving because of the exams coming up at our school, though I'll check the forums once or twice a week.

#25 2012-02-17 00:15:56

Powderbomb
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

've you gotten a virus? anyways, people like me need new apps and are just reckless when downloading things (when i have enough disk space, that is) and don't care about viruses cause i won't get 'em.)

This right here is the main difference between the two major computer brands. No, not that windows is more likely to get viruses, but that, for programmers, windows is generally an easier system to write for, which includes people who write viruses in the first place. Macs aren't immune to viruses, it's just that people who write them aren't as likely to write ones for macs because it's harder to do, which at the same time means it's generally harder for programmers to create things for macs. The debate sparks from security over mobility.

Personally I go with windows because I've learned to be more responsible with downloads (not to mention there exists plenty of reliable anti-virus and browser protection), I play a variety of games (some of which do not/may never exist for mac), and the general price range.

Quitting forever because of lame April Fools joke
http://i43.tinypic.com/35m1n5s.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/35m1n5s.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/35m1n5s.jpg

Board footer