This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2012-03-01 19:42:17

Luke121
Scratcher

Re: No Religion Related Avatars

veggieman001 wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Do you actually hate those things, or are you just saying it as an example?

Does it matter?

Example.

just what i was about to say
it doesn't really matter

also this is one of the most interesting threads i've ever read on scratch

personally i don't care what people do as long as they're not like all in your face about it
i don't go on the main site anyway, so i don't see any of these avatars
and there's always adblocking of avatars you don't want to see

Thank you Veggie. I'm not a religious person, but I believe in rights, and that if they want to be proud of their religion then that is fine.

As long as it's not overzealous, I think they should stay.

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#77 2012-03-01 19:45:49

veggieman001
Scratcher

and by in your face i mean like flashy gif signatures, specific comments and/or forum posts, etc.

and i am not religious either

#78 2012-03-01 19:47:38

stevetheipad
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Do you actually hate those things, or are you just saying it as an example?

Does it matter?

Example.

just what i was about to say
it doesn't really matter

also this is one of the most interesting threads i've ever read on scratch

personally i don't care what people do as long as they're not like all in your face about it
i don't go on the main site anyway, so i don't see any of these avatars
and there's always adblocking of avatars you don't want to see

Why are you not on Stencyl chat anymore?

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#79 2012-03-01 19:52:52

stevetheipad
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

why are you making offtopic posts

Another words: will you please get on Stencyl chat?

(I'll delete my posts when you repond)

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#80 2012-03-01 20:11:31

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Paddle2See wrote:

Let me see if I can boil this down...It's okay to have an avatar that says who you are and what you believe - as long as it doesn't put down other people in any way. 

So it's okay to say in your avatar or signature "I'm a SteveJobist" (an invented religion by the way).  It's less okay to say "I'm a SteveJobist - and you should be one too".  It's definitely not okay to say "Become a SteveJobist because the other religions are wrong".

So the avatar in question is "He died for you - why don't you live for him?

That could be interpreted as a suggestion to convert to Christianity - but it's pretty mild, in my opinion.  It's more of an invitation than a command, if you see what I'm saying. 

What do you think of the philosophy spelled out in my sig? It's much more commanding - and it might espouse a viewpoint that you don't agree with....

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#81 2012-03-01 21:49:37

Mokat
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Let me see if I can boil this down...It's okay to have an avatar that says who you are and what you believe - as long as it doesn't put down other people in any way. 

So it's okay to say in your avatar or signature "I'm a SteveJobist" (an invented religion by the way).  It's less okay to say "I'm a SteveJobist - and you should be one too".  It's definitely not okay to say "Become a SteveJobist because the other religions are wrong".

So the avatar in question is "He died for you - why don't you live for him?

That could be interpreted as a suggestion to convert to Christianity - but it's pretty mild, in my opinion.  It's more of an invitation than a command, if you see what I'm saying. 

What do you think of the philosophy spelled out in my sig? It's much more commanding - and it might espouse a viewpoint that you don't agree with....

But it's kinda already allowed in signatures, like you mentioned... people do have signatures like that. some even have USERNAMES that might be trying to...
Although, as long as you're not really trying to convert someone and it's not causing arguments, i think it's fine.

Last edited by Mokat (2012-03-01 21:51:41)

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#82 2012-03-02 02:47:48

Liru
Scratcher

Religion isn't allowed to be discussed on the forums or main page, so stop suggesting that that should be removed.

There's a difference between saying that you're proud of something and that other people should do it to, I'm a proud omnivore, but I don't throw meat at vegans, I just eat meat freely. I'm also an athiest, I don't go round throwing burning bibles at priests. I don't see how there'd be a difference between me saying that all religions are wrong and that you should be an athiest and saying that all other religions are wrong and you should join mine, they're trying to change someone's life without really thinking anything through, and I'm against people changing peoples' lives at mass and treating people as numbers.

#83 2012-03-02 03:35:08

Kresinho
Scratcher

hungergamesfanatic wrote:

@Kresinho That is not completely true. If  you go to church that doesn't mean your a Christian. But if you've accepted Him into your heart then your a Christian. It is good if you go to church but that doesn't mean your not a Christian. Anyways I'm getting offf track.

I'm glad to see you think as I do. That means that I do not think that going to church is main and only important thing in Christianity, but what's in your heart.

--------------

And just to say my thoughts about this topic and every reply in it:
I am sad to see that there is so many non-believers, so many atheists (= non-believers), but most of all, so many people who have religion but act like they don't have it.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DV9pqgeDCnY/TNQ5yfQmfiI/AAAAAAAAAC8/ZUbppXRCUas/s1600/hrvatska.jpg

#84 2012-03-02 03:46:07

Liru
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

@Kresinho That is not completely true. If  you go to church that doesn't mean your a Christian. But if you've accepted Him into your heart then your a Christian. It is good if you go to church but that doesn't mean your not a Christian. Anyways I'm getting offf track.

I'm glad to see you think as I do. That means that I do not think that going to church is main and only important thing in Christianity, but what's in your heart.

--------------

I am sad to see that there is so many non-believers, so many atheists (= non-believers), but most of all, so many people who have religion but act like they don't have it.

How is that sad? That's good, it means we have a diversity of opinions, we're not all the same.

#85 2012-03-02 04:17:51

ProgramCAT
Scratcher

I respect your religions, but don't believe in them.

Programming is an art...
Goodbye, Scratch. I am leaving because of the exams coming up at our school, though I'll check the forums once or twice a week.

#86 2012-03-02 05:59:28

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

--------------

Why are you sad?  It's just our belief.  Accept it and move on.  Not everyone can be like you.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#87 2012-03-02 06:48:28

Kresinho
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

How is that sad? That's good, it means we have a diversity of opinions, we're not all the same.

PlutolsHades wrote:

Why are you sad?  It's just our belief.  Accept it and move on.  Not everyone can be like you.

I see you are very proud of being unique and different then others. But think about it, you are all the same. You act the same, you say things the same, you are proud members of todays world where everybody acts the same thinking they act different.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DV9pqgeDCnY/TNQ5yfQmfiI/AAAAAAAAAC8/ZUbppXRCUas/s1600/hrvatska.jpg

#88 2012-03-02 08:24:04

Luke121
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

Liru wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

PlutolsHades wrote:

I see you are very proud of being unique and different then others. But think about it, you are all the same. You act the same, you say things the same, you are proud members of todays world where everybody acts the same thinking they act different.

^ I believe this is what they are trying to stop.

You believe in an all powerful magical being. We don't have to.

It is your right to be religious. It is MY right not to.

And how being Religious different?

EDIT: For example, take Croatia, your homeland. Roughly ninety-three percent believe in a god or some other spiritual influence. SEVEN percent is atheist. So yes, WE are the minority.

Please don't take offense to this. I was a born-and-raised Catholic, and now am a born-again atheist, so this is just my opinion.

Last edited by Luke121 (2012-03-02 08:38:54)

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#89 2012-03-02 09:55:14

veggieman001
Scratcher

i agree with luke;; you're pretty much trying to convert us to your religion at this point and that exactly what the people in this thread don't want
and people aren't acting like they aren't religious. they're merely expressing that they want religious freedom for everyone

#90 2012-03-02 12:08:54

Kresinho
Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

So yes, WE are the minority.

I wouldn't say you are a minority, at least not here on Scratch. Heck, I can't find a true religious man here, all I see is "I'm an atheist" or "I'm kind of religious, but actually I'm not".

Luke121 wrote:

You don't know how being religious different? Well, you should know that, because if you don't, how can you decide from being religious or not; or even further, how did you decide to become an atheist?

veggieman001 wrote:

i agree with luke;; you're pretty much trying to convert us to your religion at this point and that exactly what the people in this thread don't want
and people aren't acting like they aren't religious. they're merely expressing that they want religious freedom for everyone

Convert you? Common, quote me on that. I can't wait to see what sentence I wrote made you think I want to convert you.
And I wouldn't use the word convert in the future, it just doesn't fit. From now on, just use 'save'.

Last edited by Kresinho (2012-03-02 12:10:19)

#91 2012-03-02 12:19:49

schusteralex2
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

And I wouldn't use the word convert in the future, it just doesn't fit. From now on, just use 'save'.

That is one of the things this topic is trying to prevent: Believe in my god or else you will burn for all eternity!!
It is okay to be public with your beliefs, it is not okay to try to make others agree with you. And, the Bible says: "Go and spread the good news of god" NOT "Be christian or burn" I really don't feel like a theological debate right now, so if you just respect the beliefs of others, not pressure them into accepting your beliefs, everyone will be better off  smile

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#92 2012-03-02 12:21:55

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

You believe in an all powerful magical being.

This is my opinion on the subject: He is absolutely NOT magical. i.e. healing the blind, raising the dead, walking on water That is not magic! Magic is of the devil... also just like when Pharisees said something similar that Jesus worked through the devil... which was NOT true...

Miracles are of Jesus... so it was not magic... no where in the bible does it explain these events as magic... actually magic is seen as a form of witchcraft/sorcery.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but this is my opinion and I'm not changing it.

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#93 2012-03-02 12:23:38

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

So yes, WE are the minority.

I wouldn't say you are a minority, at least not here on Scratch. Heck, I can't find a true religious man here, all I see is "I'm an atheist" or "I'm kind of religious, but actually I'm not".

Luke121 wrote:

You don't know how being religious different? Well, you should know that, because if you don't, how can you decide from being religious or not; or even further, how did you decide to become an atheist?

veggieman001 wrote:

Convert you? Common, quote me on that. I can't wait to see what sentence I wrote made you think I want to convert you.

+1!

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#94 2012-03-02 12:26:29

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

That is one of the things this topic is trying to prevent: Believe in my god or else you will burn for all eternity!!
It is okay to be public with your beliefs, it is not okay to try to make others agree with you. And, the Bible says: "Go and spread the good news of God" NOT "Be christian or burn" I really don't feel like a theological debate right now, so if you just respect the beliefs of others, not pressure them into accepting your beliefs, everyone will be better off  smile

I am sorry but I don't see very many people here trying to pressure you all into becoming Christians. We are trying to live what we believe and we believe telling others, and if they accept Him, Jesus has saved them. That is what we believe.

#95 2012-03-02 12:36:51

schusteralex2
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

It is okay to be public with your beliefs, it is not okay to try to make others agree with you. And, the Bible says: "Go and spread the good news of God" NOT "Be christian or burn" I really don't feel like a theological debate right now, so if you just respect the beliefs of others, not pressure them into accepting your beliefs, everyone will be better off  smile

I am sorry but I don't see very many people here trying to pressure you all into becoming Christians. We are trying to live what we believe and we believe telling others, and if they accept Him, Jesus has saved them. That is what we believe.

Okay, I didn't want to do this, but I guess I have to: I believe in god, but I don't believe that only if you accept him will you go to heaven. If you do good in your life, but don't accept god, you should go to heaven. Is He going to punish people who have never even heard of Him?? If Mother Teresa wasn't christian, but still did all the great things that she did, would she be punished for that?? Another thing that I have heard that rings true is that all good deeds are of the lord, no matter what their doers religious standpoint is?? Is a serial killer that eats the body and drinks the blood better in god's eyes than a Red Cross nurse who puts herself in mortal danger to help others, although she is an Atheist?? I have known some great, nice, caring people who are atheists, and some selfish, indulgent Christians. It is what one does that matters, not what they believe in.

#96 2012-03-02 12:45:04

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

Okay, I didn't want to do this, but I guess I have to: I believe in god, but I don't believe that only if you accept him will you go to heaven. If you do good in your life, but don't accept god, you should go to heaven. Is He going to punish people who have never even heard of Him?? If Mother Teresa wasn't christian, but still did all the great things that she did, would she be punished for that?? Another thing that I have heard that rings true is that all good deeds are of the lord, no matter what their doers religious standpoint is?? Is a serial killer that eats the body and drinks the blood better in god's eyes than a Red Cross nurse who puts herself in mortal danger to help others, although she is an Atheist?? I have known some great, nice, caring people who are atheists, and some selfish, indulgent Christians. It is what one does that matters, not what they believe in.

The Bible says: All have fallen short of the glory of God. Everyone has sinned! Have you ever lied? Stolen? Cheated? Then you lie, steal, and are a cheater! I'm sure some of you have wanted what someone else has ie. Cars, toys, movies, books, games, jobs, etc. Then you also are a envier! Nobody is perfect! God doesn't have favorites, even if you've murdered someone he'll love, if your a Red Cross nurse, he'll love you. Yes, even when you've become a Christian you still sin. But you ask him to forgive you, and he does. Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, no matter who you are he loves you. If you sin, it hurts him.

Last edited by hungergamesfanatic (2012-03-02 12:48:12)

#97 2012-03-02 12:47:27

Kresinho
Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

This is my opinion on the subject: He is absolutely NOT magical. i.e. healing the blind, raising the dead, walking on water That is not magic! Magic is of the devil... also just like when Pharisees said something similar that Jesus worked through the devil... which was NOT true...

Miracles are of Jesus... so it was not magic... no where in the bible does it explain these events as magic... actually magic is seen as a form of witchcraft/sorcery.

Nice said, man, couldn't agree more.

#98 2012-03-02 12:47:54

schusteralex2
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

The Bible says: All have fallen short of the glory of God. Everyone has sinned! Have you ever lied? Stolen? Cheated? Then you lie, steal, and are a cheater! I'm sure some of you have wanted what someone else has ie. Cars, toys, movies, books, games, jobs, etc. Then you also are a envier! Nobody is perfect! God doesn't have favorites, even if you've murdered someone he'll love, if your a Red Cross nurse, he'll love you. Yes, even when you've become a Christian you still sin. But you ask him to forgive you, and he does.

This is not the place for this  hmm
I think we should discontinue religious debate, we will never get anywhere on it.

#99 2012-03-02 12:50:57

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

schusteralex2 wrote:

schusteralex2 wrote:

The Bible says: All have fallen short of the glory of God. Everyone has sinned! Have you ever lied? Stolen? Cheated? Then you lie, steal, and are a cheater! I'm sure some of you have wanted what someone else has ie. Cars, toys, movies, books, games, jobs, etc. Then you also are a envier! Nobody is perfect! God doesn't have favorites, even if you've murdered someone he'll love, if your a Red Cross nurse, he'll love you. Yes, even when you've become a Christian you still sin. But you ask him to forgive you, and he does.

This is not the place for this  hmm
I think we should discontinue religious debate, we will never get anywhere on it.

Okay. Agree to disagree?

#100 2012-03-02 12:52:42

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

Nice said, man, couldn't agree more.

Thanks.

Board footer