This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2012-02-29 18:36:25

pietestaccount1234
Scratcher

Re: No Religion Related Avatars

Greenatic wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Being atheist, I am completely against anything, avatars included, that tries to convert you or say you're wrong.  I don't like the "He died for you, why not live for him," thing because it basically says "He was a martyr, I think you should live to believe in his belief." That's trying to convert us.

^Beautifully said.  Respect our rights to our beliefs.  If you think we're going to burn for eternity and you truly want to be merciful, leave us alone and let us actually enjoy our lives instead of screaming "Pagan!  Pagan!  You'll burn forever if you don't accept the cross!".  That's ignoring the numerous reasons that the idea of "hell" makes no sense in the first place, but it would contradict my point to discuss that here...   tongue

Refer to the last part of my previous post.

Greenatic wrote:

(I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh, but I have strong personal convictions on this issue.)

*clap clap*

#52 2012-02-29 19:03:59

Liru
Scratcher

jedidiahzhu wrote:

Liru wrote:

Well, I disagree with ones saying "I believe in n, you should too", I know Scratch is a place to share opinions and such, but trying to convert people on it is just wrong and will just cause arguments.

Arguments aren't always bad, you know. If somebody wants somebody else to know something because he or she believes that people who know it will be happy, that's a good thing, right?

The same goes with religion. People (including me) believe that anybody who believes in their religion will go to heaven, etc. So religious people try to persuade others to their religion.

Well I could make my own religion and say I'm only trying to convert everyone else so they don't get trapped in a diamond for eternity, I'm still monopolising people and trying to make an army of people to spread my religion. Arguments are good if they're productive, but arguments about religion aren't allowed on Scratch.

It's like saying "I'm bisexual, you should be too" or "I vote for the BNP, you should too", there's a line between expressing yourself and trying to gain followers, I'm a brony, but I don't post links to the MLP site everywhere and have an avatar/signature trying to get people to become bronies. People can have opinions about religion, but trying to get people to join that religion will just cause rifts, there will be arguments and flamewars over how untrue the other's picture is. If something is saying "I'm an ner and proud" then I can take it, if it's "n is better than anything else, join us and you will be saved" then I just get annoyed.

#53 2012-02-29 20:56:47

Mokat
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

jedidiahzhu wrote:

Liru wrote:

Well, I disagree with ones saying "I believe in n, you should too", I know Scratch is a place to share opinions and such, but trying to convert people on it is just wrong and will just cause arguments.

Arguments aren't always bad, you know. If somebody wants somebody else to know something because he or she believes that people who know it will be happy, that's a good thing, right?

The same goes with religion. People (including me) believe that anybody who believes in their religion will go to heaven, etc. So religious people try to persuade others to their religion.

Well I could make my own religion and say I'm only trying to convert everyone else so they don't get trapped in a diamond for eternity, I'm still monopolising people and trying to make an army of people to spread my religion. Arguments are good if they're productive, but arguments about religion aren't allowed on Scratch.

It's like saying "I'm bisexual, you should be too" or "I vote for the BNP, you should too", there's a line between expressing yourself and trying to gain followers, I'm a brony, but I don't post links to the MLP site everywhere and have an avatar/signature trying to get people to become bronies. People can have opinions about religion, but trying to get people to join that religion will just cause rifts, there will be arguments and flamewars over how untrue the other's picture is. If something is saying "I'm an ner and proud" then I can take it, if it's "n is better than anything else, join us and you will be saved" then I just get annoyed.

+infinity and beyond

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#54 2012-03-01 04:28:59

scimonster
Community Moderator

Greenatic wrote:

I'm a Jewish person who (with due reason) flinches every time I see one of the numerous "Join us!", "We're right!", or "You should do this religious thing!" avatars or projects (such as the one in question--"He died for you. Why not live for him?").  I think the Scratch Team is far too lenient on this issue.  Projects on the main site have the same potential to offend as rampant forum posts, if not more (due to the virtual impossibility to auto-filter them, and the extended communicative abilities granted to them by graphics and animation).  I feel the Scratch Team is taking a shaky stance along a fuzzy line, and that this is, perhaps, an universally improvised position on controversial issues (LGBT, religion, politics).  I would love to see the Scratch Team take a definite stance with some actual logic behind it.

(I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh, but I have strong personal convictions on this issue.)

I agree with every word of this post.

If it's just saying "This is what I believe in", I'm fine with that. Once you start suggesting stuff, that is going too far, IMO.

#55 2012-03-01 09:51:15

elfin8er
Scratcher

I strongly disagree. We live in America, not China. I even disagree with most of the rules about religion.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o723/stevetheipad/goldlittlesig.png

#56 2012-03-01 10:37:34

Greenatic
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:

I strongly disagree. We live in America, not China. I even disagree with most of the rules about religion.

I must respectfullly disagree with you.  For one thing, many Scratchers live abroad.  To assume they are all Americans is highly ignorant.  Also, I do live in America--an America that is designed to protect both the rights of the majority and the minority.  The rules we have on Scratch now are too weak to do either (especially protecting the minorities, virtually all of which are represented in our highly diverse community).

#57 2012-03-01 16:23:59

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Greenatic wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

I must respectfullly disagree with you.  For one thing, many Scratchers live abroad.  To assume they are all Americans is highly ignorant.  Also, I do live in America--an America that is designed to protect both the rights of the majority and the minority.  The rules we have on Scratch now are too weak to do either (especially protecting the minorities, virtually all of which are represented in our highly diverse community).

+1 Why do you want missionaries on Scratch?

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#58 2012-03-01 16:36:14

Liru
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:

YOU live in America, the majority lives in America, why do you have the authority to offend a minority? Scratch is meant to be safe for everyone, if I was a parent I wouldn't let my child go on a website where people are trying to convert them, I can respect everyone's opinions and beliefs, but not if they're trying to stick it into my life. I've already had enough with upstairs doing sermons at 4am, if not even Scratch is safe then I will have a very sour view on the world we live in today (By the way, the world has more countries than America, we do exist).

#59 2012-03-01 16:38:15

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

Kresinho wrote:

lunarman42 wrote:

I noticed how many people on Scratch have an avatar talking about god and how you should believe in him. I'm Christian, but I don't really go to church or anything, and I don't disrespect him. But I believe that there are MANY other Scratchers who are not Christian, and find that avatar offensive.

I think that religion related avatars should be banned, mainly because bringing up religion (or politics) can cause a huge argument, and sometimes an end to a friendship.

What are your thoughts?

If you say you don't really go to church or anything, you, my friend, are not a Christian. Think about it.

And about religions: don't compare them to politics, and don't complain how religion based avatars could end a friendship.

@Kresinho That is not completely true. If  you go to church that doesn't mean your a Christian. But if you've accepted Him into your heart then your a Christian. It is good if you go to church but that doesn't mean your not a Christian. Anyways I'm getting offf track. @Lunarman I think it is fine if people have that avatar, why do I? The First Ammendment is Freedom of Speech.  We have the  right to worship God in our own way. If people can tell others about Him and tell others about Jesus in this way, so be it.

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#60 2012-03-01 16:42:28

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

So, we can't share our beliefes, whatever they are, at all, because it has the potential to make someone angry?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying that I am/not religious, but I am pointing out that the Internet is a free place, a tool where you can share your thoughts. Banning users for having a religious icon, seems like censoring the web, what the US was trying to stop when SOPA was around.  hmm

+1

http://media.tumblr.com/ef092817bb0546c54787e8fa6932bd1f/tumblr_inline_mjvk9eXdM61qz4rgp.gif

#61 2012-03-01 16:46:27

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

hungergamesfanatic wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

lunarman42 wrote:

I noticed how many people on Scratch have an avatar talking about god and how you should believe in him. I'm Christian, but I don't really go to church or anything, and I don't disrespect him. But I believe that there are MANY other Scratchers who are not Christian, and find that avatar offensive.

I think that religion related avatars should be banned, mainly because bringing up religion (or politics) can cause a huge argument, and sometimes an end to a friendship.

What are your thoughts?

If you say you don't really go to church or anything, you, my friend, are not a Christian. Think about it.

And about religions: don't compare them to politics, and don't complain how religion based avatars could end a friendship.

@Kresinho That is not completely true. If  you go to church that doesn't mean your a Christian. But if you've accepted Him into your heart then your a Christian. It is good if you go to church but that doesn't mean your not a Christian. Anyways I'm getting offf track. @Lunarman I think it is fine if people have that avatar, why do I? The First Ammendment is Freedom of Speech.  We have the  right to worship God in our own way. If people can tell others about Him and tell others about Jesus in this way, so be it.

I don't want to offend you, but your post seems to ignore the fact that atheists exist.

#62 2012-03-01 17:00:51

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Kresinho wrote:

I don't want to offend you, but your post seems to ignore the fact that atheists exist.

I do know Atheists exist, and I don't mean to offend them but I don't believe the things they do and I am writing from my perspective. If the people that are here that are Atheists see that they probably would be offended. But you can't have it both ways. Some people believe it some people don't. They don't need to complain about it or tell others to change their avatar just because they don't believe it. We have the right to worship God in our own way. Let's say they had a religions called Steve Jobism (I know, I did get it from another post earlier) and they had a avatar that said Steve Jobs is god. Now if you knew people firmly believed that would you tell them to change their avatar? Or be ashamed of what they believe?

Last edited by hungergamesfanatic (2012-03-01 17:01:27)

#63 2012-03-01 17:05:22

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

I do know Atheists exist, and I don't mean to offend them but I don't believe the things they do and I am writing from my perspective. If the people that are here that are Atheists see that they probably would be offended. But you can't have it both ways. Some people believe it some people don't. They don't need to complain about it or tell others to change their avatar just because they don't believe it. We have the right to worship God in our own way. Let's say they had a religions called Steve Jobism (I know, I did get it from another post earlier) and they had a avatar that said Steve Jobs is god. Now if you knew people firmly believed that would you tell them to change their avatar? Or be ashamed of what they believe?

First off, I am atheist.  I am not offended by your opinion.  My opinion, however, is that we shouldn't have missionaries here on Scratch.  You can worship whatever you want, but I don't think it's right to try to convince others to join them.  Even "He died for you, why not live for him," is trying to convert others.

#64 2012-03-01 17:13:03

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

First off, I am atheist.  I am not offended by your opinion.  My opinion, however, is that we shouldn't have missionaries here on Scratch.  You can worship whatever you want, but I don't think it's right to try to convince others to join them.  Even "He died for you, why not live for him," is trying to convert others.

Personally I don't think so. Converting others is like:

To persuade or induce to adopt a particular religion, faith, or belief

It isn't saying you have to it is saying you could we are just trying to live what we believe. The Bible says to tell others about your faith. That is what we are doing. It doesn't say to force people to believe it.

#65 2012-03-01 17:15:39

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

It isn't saying you have to it is saying you could we are just trying to live what we believe. The Bible says to tell others about your faith. That is what we are doing. It doesn't say to force people to believe it.

IMHO, it's saying "He died for me, so I think YOU should live to believe what he believed."

#66 2012-03-01 17:20:57

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

IMHO, it's saying "He died for me, so I think YOU should live to believe what he believed."

You can have your opinion but honestly not very many Christians want to force people to become Christians...

#67 2012-03-01 17:22:26

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

You can have your opinion but honestly not very many Christians want to force people to become Christians...

I never said that.
I said I'm very opposed to the "He died for you, why not live for him" avatar.

#68 2012-03-01 17:22:45

Greenatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

+ a broken 9 key

Last edited by Greenatic (2012-03-01 17:22:57)

#69 2012-03-01 17:27:42

hungergamesfanatic
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

I never said that.
I said I'm very opposed to the "He died for you, why not live for him" avatar.

I don't particularly  care if people have it as their Avatar or not. They're still going to keep it no matter what people say.

#70 2012-03-01 17:34:15

Luap01
Scratcher

jedidiahzhu wrote:

I really don't see anyting wrong with talking about religion. We express our feelings and belief. Besides, couldn't anybody who disagrees just argue on the comments are something? (That's what I do.)

Aggreed.

IMA SKULL KID
http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/a/a2/SkullKid_dance.gif

#71 2012-03-01 18:28:24

Mokat
Scratcher

Wait, couldn't you contact the scratch team and explain about the Avatar thing to them?  hmm

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#72 2012-03-01 19:17:14

Luke121
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Being atheist, I am completely against anything, avatars included, that tries to convert you or say you're wrong.  I don't like the "He died for you, why not live for him," thing because it basically says "He was a martyr, I think you should live to believe in his belief." That's trying to convert us.

I hate Minecraft, Redwall and Cyberchase. Therefore, you shouldn't be allowed to put that in your sig.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited by Luke121 (2012-03-01 19:18:46)

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#73 2012-03-01 19:18:41

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

I hate Minecraft, Redwall and Cyberchase. You shouldn't be allowed to put that in your sig.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Do you actually hate those things, or are you just saying it as an example?

#74 2012-03-01 19:22:50

Luke121
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

I hate Minecraft, Redwall and Cyberchase. You shouldn't be allowed to put that in your sig.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Does it matter?

Example.

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#75 2012-03-01 19:27:39

veggieman001
Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Luke121 wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Does it matter?

Example.

just what i was about to say
it doesn't really matter

also this is one of the most interesting threads i've ever read on scratch

personally i don't care what people do as long as they're not like all in your face about it
i don't go on the main site anyway, so i don't see any of these avatars
and there's always adblocking of avatars you don't want to see

Board footer