This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#176 2012-02-16 10:40:32

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Re: Forum post counts now shown in levels

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Just a small suggestion, use "Over ***" rather than ">***", it looks nicer.

Interesting!
To test this out, I just right clicked on post count on a random post and selected "inspect element" (this is in chrome). Then I changed the value by clicking on it in the window the pops up at the bottom of the screen.

Here's what it looks like:
http://imgclean.com/?p=1315

Check it out and see what you think. You can also try other things -- I think someone suggested "1000+" earlier. It'd be interesting to see how that looks in context.

By the way - if you've ever dreamed of getting to a massive post count, this is quite an easy way to see what that would be like.

Yeah, I love inspect-elementing stats (on an online school quiz, I inspect-elemented myself a 100%).

I love the way 1,000+ looks, but here are some other ideas as to how different presentations could look:
http://www.imgpaste.com/fY4u.png
http://www.imgpaste.com/Hwq3.png
http://www.imgpaste.com/OVJc.png
I think a comma in 1,000 might be nice, since it's a pre-generated figure.

I'm liking the 1000+ look the best as well. Let's give some others time to chime in and suggest alternatives. But if others dig this one, I'd say we should do it.  smile

Veggie's point about not all countries using "," in "1,000" is a good one, so we should probably just keep it simple.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#177 2012-02-16 10:50:43

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

I don't see the point in this at all. All the effort users put in, posting usefully ip into the thousands (like scimonster, for example) are lumped in with the new members that just broke 1000.
You took away [img] tags, I wasn't too fussed though it meant I couldn't follow most links (my internet is painfully slow) and it was more a hindrance than an annoyance.
Then you banned LGBT. I lost SO much respect for the ST that day.
Then you deleted Misc. The new forums are barely active & there's no scope at all for decent discussions. It's all 'Do you like [music artist or genre]?' or 'LOOK I PAINTED A PONY'. It has a very depressing atmosphere if I'm honest and I have pretty much stopped coming here. But today I decided to come back to check on my thread in TIRP.
First thing I noticed was how everyone's post count was the same. I don't ever see competition for post counts & I think you're just alienating people even more than you already have over the past few months.
I'm trying to be indifferent, but the time myself & the others opposed to this have invested in this site is now unrecognised. And New Scratchers can no longer tell the difference in activeness. People who have posted avidly for 2 years are now at the same level as those who have posted on average 20 posts a day for about 50 days. It's just killing these forums even more.
I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but there have been fewer posts that ever without Misc. so if anything the forum deletion helped reduce this 'problem'.
I'd be fine with this if the ST hadn't tried to revamp everything all at once. Once we're starting to adjust to a new layout or rule, another is brought in.
Another stupid decision, courtesy of the Scratch Team. :l
Thank you & good day.

EDIT: OMAIGAWSH TEXT WALL D:

Last edited by The_Dancing_Donut (2012-02-16 10:51:16)

Offending strangers since 2010.

#178 2012-02-16 10:55:35

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Interesting!
To test this out, I just right clicked on post count on a random post and selected "inspect element" (this is in chrome). Then I changed the value by clicking on it in the window the pops up at the bottom of the screen.

Here's what it looks like:
http://imgclean.com/?p=1315

Check it out and see what you think. You can also try other things -- I think someone suggested "1000+" earlier. It'd be interesting to see how that looks in context.

By the way - if you've ever dreamed of getting to a massive post count, this is quite an easy way to see what that would be like.

Yeah, I love inspect-elementing stats (on an online school quiz, I inspect-elemented myself a 100%).

I love the way 1,000+ looks, but here are some other ideas as to how different presentations could look:
http://www.imgpaste.com/fY4u.png
http://www.imgpaste.com/Hwq3.png
http://www.imgpaste.com/OVJc.png
I think a comma in 1,000 might be nice, since it's a pre-generated figure.

I'm liking the 1000+ look the best as well. Let's give some others time to chime in and suggest alternatives. But if others dig this one, I'd say we should do it.  smile

Veggie's point about not all countries using "," in "1,000" is a good one, so we should probably just keep it simple.

'k, then, +1 to 1000+ from me.  big_smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#179 2012-02-16 11:05:30

veggieman001
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

I don't see the point in this at all. All the effort users put in, posting usefully ip into the thousands (like scimonster, for example) are lumped in with the new members that just broke 1000.
You took away [url]tags, I wasn't too fussed though it meant I couldn't follow most links (my internet is painfully slow) and it was more a hindrance than an annoyance.
Then you deleted Misc. The new forums are barely active & there's no scope at all for decent discussions. It's all 'Do you like [music artist or genre]?' or 'LOOK I PAINTED A PONY'. It has a very depressing atmosphere if I'm honest and I have pretty much stopped coming here. But today I decided to come back to check on my thread in TIRP.
First thing I noticed was how everyone's post count was the same. I don't ever see competition for post counts & I think you're just alienating people even more than you already have over the past few months.
I'm trying to be indifferent, but the time myself & the others opposed to this have invested in this site is now unrecognised. And New Scratchers can no longer tell the difference in activeness. People who have posted avidly for 2 years are now at the same level as those who have posted on average 20 posts a day for about 50 days. It's just killing these forums even more.
I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but there have been fewer posts that ever without Misc. so if anything the forum deletion helped reduce this 'problem'.
I'd be fine with this if the ST hadn't tried to revamp everything all at once. Once we're starting to adjust to a new layout or rule, another is brought in.
Thank you & good day.

It's just a little number that you can actually see in your profile. It's not really a big deal. And this is coming from the person with the most amount of posts on the forums. It really just doesn't matter. If you really don't like it, start your own forum or join another.

#180 2012-02-16 11:19:54

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

You took away [url]tags, I wasn't too fussed though it meant I couldn't follow most links (my internet is painfully slow) and it was more a hindrance than an annoyance.
Thank you & good day.

It's just a little number that you can actually see in your profile. It's not really a big deal. And this is coming from the person with the most amount of posts on the forums. It really just doesn't matter. If you really don't like it, start your own forum or join another.

It's not just that though. It's how most people had been way happier before all these changes. And don't worry about that, I hardly come on here at all anyway. I have my own forums and am a mod on undefeatedgames' forum, so yeah.

Offending strangers since 2010.

#181 2012-02-16 11:30:18

veggieman001
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Thank you & good day.

It's not just that though. It's how most people had been way happier before all these changes. And don't worry about that, I hardly come on here at all anyway. I have my own forums and am a mod on undefeatedgames' forum, so yeah.

Then why are you complaining? And I wasn't happy with the shock *, flaming, and spamming.

#182 2012-02-16 11:33:06

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Then why are you complaining? And I wasn't happy with the shock *, flaming, and spamming.

I really don't see how this helps.
But they've thought it through, and I'm sure its for the best.  wink

#183 2012-02-16 11:34:22

veggieman001
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

I really don't see how this helps.
But they've thought it through, and I'm sure its for the best.  wink

This does appear to be the weakest of their recent changes, but I think it's fine.

#184 2012-02-16 11:35:59

Magnie
Scratcher

littlekitty5 wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

I like this idea. It can get kinda annoying when people say "6000 posts in three and a half months?!" or something like that, especially when it's nothing to with the topic being discussed. And, as numerous other people have said, it'll decrease spam as well.

How about only having your post count visible though?

Well, if only your post count showed up, there would still be a spamming problem that this new post count was created to stop. People would still say things such as: "I posted 6649 posts. What about you?" And then other people would reply and spam up the thread.

If any posts should be visible to a user, it should be other users' post counts. :p

Anyway, I think this new post count is a great idea. It will stop a lot of spam from users who want a lot of posts for their post count. It may not stop users below the ">100" mark from post count spamming, but hopefully they will stop when they reach the 100 mark or they will get caught.

xlittlekittyx

I think hiding your own post count is actually the best option for this. Problem is, people will start mentioning everyone else's post counts.

#185 2012-02-16 11:37:33

veggieman001
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

littlekitty5 wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

I like this idea. It can get kinda annoying when people say "6000 posts in three and a half months?!" or something like that, especially when it's nothing to with the topic being discussed. And, as numerous other people have said, it'll decrease spam as well.

Well, if only your post count showed up, there would still be a spamming problem that this new post count was created to stop. People would still say things such as: "I posted 6649 posts. What about you?" And then other people would reply and spam up the thread.

If any posts should be visible to a user, it should be other users' post counts. :p

Anyway, I think this new post count is a great idea. It will stop a lot of spam from users who want a lot of posts for their post count. It may not stop users below the ">100" mark from post count spamming, but hopefully they will stop when they reach the 100 mark or they will get caught.

xlittlekittyx

I think hiding your own post count is actually the best option for this. Problem is, people will start mentioning everyone else's post counts.

You can still see your own on the profile.

#186 2012-02-16 11:42:22

littlekitty5
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

littlekitty5 wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

xlittlekittyx

Agreed. C: You are right about that last part though. Well, that's why I wrote "If any". c; I'm really fine with the way post counts are now.

Keep creative! Let your wild imagination lead your way! =3

#187 2012-02-16 11:48:33

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

Look at it this way, nobody can call you a Super internet freak if you only have 1000 posts.  tongue

#188 2012-02-16 11:51:50

Magnie
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Magnie wrote:

littlekitty5 wrote:

xlittlekittyx

I know that, which is why you would hide it if/when the feature is implemented.  smile

#189 2012-02-16 11:56:08

veggieman001
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Look at it this way, nobody can call you a Super internet freak if you only have 1000 posts.  tongue

Yeah but I have 13088  tongue

#190 2012-02-16 12:14:23

Clank23
Scratcher

I would actually like to see my post count  wink
Make sure I don't get to addicted XD

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4333/signaturely.png

#191 2012-02-16 12:36:53

RedRocker227
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Good point  tongue

Why

#192 2012-02-16 12:39:00

RedRocker227
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Magnie wrote:

littlekitty5 wrote:

xlittlekittyx

I'm gonna sound like such a noob, but... what do you mean "profile"? Because I can't see it anywhere on my "My stuff" page.

Why

#193 2012-02-16 12:43:10

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Yeah but I have 13088  tongue

Nobody nose that. XP

#194 2012-02-16 12:43:41

Magnie
Scratcher

RedRocker227 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Magnie wrote:

I'm gonna sound like such a noob, but... what do you mean "profile"? Because I can't see it anywhere on my "My stuff" page.

The "profile" link which you use get a signature.

#195 2012-02-16 12:45:53

RedRocker227
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

RedRocker227 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

The "profile" link which you use get a signature.

Oh yeah XD I'm such a noob ._.

Why

#196 2012-02-16 12:46:12

Andres-Vander
Scratcher

This is the greatest idea ever, I fully support this

Last edited by Andres-Vander (2012-02-16 12:46:21)

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2260823/flugelhorn-feline-o.gif

#197 2012-02-16 13:17:47

SilverDomination
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

We've changed the way post counts are shown on the forums.

If you have less than 100 posts, your actual post count will be shown.
If you have >1000 posts, your post count will be ">1000"
If you have >500 posts, your post count will be ">500"
If you have >100 posts, your post count will be ">100"

We did this to discourage the practice of spamming topics just to up one's post count. We considered hiding post count entirely, but decided it's nice to be able to get a general sense of how much someone has posted on the forums - so we went with the tiered approach.

Scratch On!

This seems like a great idea! It will prevent spam regarding “Le old post count”!  wink

Sooner or Later. Or sooner. Not much, except for a lot. In a way. But it will come no matter what.

#198 2012-02-16 13:20:15

Andres-Vander
Scratcher

SilverDomination wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

We did this to discourage the practice of spamming topics just to up one's post count. We considered hiding post count entirely, but decided it's nice to be able to get a general sense of how much someone has posted on the forums - so we went with the tiered approach.

Scratch On!

This seems like a great idea! It will prevent spam regarding “Le old post count”!  wink

No it won't

I'm not being negative, I'm just saying, there wasn't really any post count topics lately (because the original miscellaneous rules are actually being enforced now) but since people can see their own counts, it won't really stop the people that would've posted about it anyways from eventually posting.

Last edited by Andres-Vander (2012-02-16 13:34:49)

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2260823/flugelhorn-feline-o.gif

#199 2012-02-16 15:57:41

777w
Scratcher

nice
but what would be even better is adding >10000

#200 2012-02-16 16:19:22

Liru
Scratcher

Andres-Vander wrote:

SilverDomination wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Scratch On!

No it won't

I'm not being negative, I'm just saying, there wasn't really any post count topics lately (because the original miscellaneous rules are actually being enforced now) but since people can see their own counts, it won't really stop the people that would've posted about it anyways from eventually posting.

Exactly, we've just prevented spammers (which haven't existed since misc) spamming about their post count in a stupid way, and in a few weeks someone will make a plugin which reverses it anyway.

Board footer