This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2012-02-15 22:41:25

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

Re: Forum post counts now shown in levels

resiliency wrote:

GameHutSoftware wrote:

>1000 means smaller than 1000
remember it this way
the alligator (>) eats the bigger meal (the bigger number)

btw i thought this was a glitch when i first saw it

Me too, but I think you have it wrong. It's saying that (post count) > 1000. The alligator eats your post count, since it's bigger. I bet now you'll delete your post, because you were proven wrong  tongue  (or at least edit it)

wat
oh i see

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

#127 2012-02-15 22:43:48

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

This is the 6th page and it's only been 8 hours? Wow  tongue

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#128 2012-02-15 22:50:04

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

I guess it's just a contreversial topic.  big_smile

Last edited by stevetheipad (2012-02-15 23:10:45)

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#129 2012-02-15 22:55:38

technoguyx
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

which is why we've removed the actual numbers.

Liru wrote:

>Profile, look at post count, spam.

*does not compute*

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#130 2012-02-15 23:05:59

veggieman001
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I guess it's just a contrevertial topic.  big_smile

*controversial  wink

technoguyx wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

which is why we've removed the actual numbers.

Liru wrote:

>Profile, look at post count, spam.

*does not compute*

lol

#131 2012-02-15 23:18:36

mattb777
Scratcher

I have respected all of your decisions so far, even if I had a better idea to fix it. Here's a little checklist of Scratch descisions:
0= I respect the decision
X= I can't respect the decision

[0] Disable IMG tags
[0] Delete Misc.
[0] Not allow LGBT topics(I'm actually rather passive with this one)
[X] Mess up the Post Count

Shouldn't there be SOME way to know your post count? Maybe an auto-message every week?

I also think there should be a "<10000" rank for those who have that many?

It's upsetting how I spent since September hoping I would someday get 10000, but now I'm stuck at "<1000" for the rest of my life.

The Scratch Forums are going desperately downhill. They went from funny topics with hilarious meme pics to a strict, boring environment with no colorful images. Now this. I am about to give up.

I'm back  big_smile

#132 2012-02-15 23:28:35

veggieman001
Scratcher

mattb777 wrote:

I have respected all of your decisions so far, even if I had a better idea to fix it. Here's a little checklist of Scratch descisions:

[0] Disable IMG tags
[0] Delete Misc.

Shouldn't there be SOME way to know your post count? Maybe an auto-message every week?

It's upsetting how I spent since September hoping I would someday get 10000, but now I'm stuck at "<1000" for the rest of my life.

The Scratch Forums are going desperately downhill. They went from funny topics with hilarious meme pics to a strict, boring environment with no colorful images. Now this. I am about to give up.

You realise you can just go to your profile and look there, right?

#133 2012-02-15 23:39:24

fruitmanninja
Scratcher

I think there should be now post count at all, but that's just my opinion.

#134 2012-02-16 00:25:33

mattb777
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

mattb777 wrote:

[0] Disable IMG tags
[0] Delete Misc.

You realise you can just go to your profile and look there, right?

I found that out five seconds after posting, so now it's even more pointless. If you can still SEE your post count, why mess up everyone else's display?  hmm

I'm back  big_smile

#135 2012-02-16 00:25:51

what-the
Scratcher

I don't really like this. It doesn't really do anything to stop people who want to get their post count up except now they have targets.

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#136 2012-02-16 00:37:37

Liru
Scratcher

what-the wrote:

I don't really like this. It doesn't really do anything to stop people who want to get their post count up except now they have targets.

It gives them a goal to get to, it makes spamming take a little less effort.

Can we have proper post counts for those with a dedicated Scratcher (or whatever it'll be called) rank?

#137 2012-02-16 00:39:35

JJROCKER
Scratcher

Hmmmm... I don't really like the new change. Now it looks like someone with 1001 posts has the same post count as me... which was like 8,000

Last edited by JJROCKER (2012-02-16 00:39:48)

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&amp;return=image&amp;link1=http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3491/signature1y.jpg&amp;link2=http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5272/signature1sx.jpg&amp;link3=http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8514/signature1et.jpg&amp;link4=http://i.imgur.com/POEpQyZ.png&amp;link5=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4640/jjrockerfinal.jpg

#138 2012-02-16 00:46:48

hdarken
Scratcher

I think this will help calm people down from fighting over their post count.

http://i.imgur.com/VskBk.png
http://i.imgur.com/tgxVZ.jpg

#139 2012-02-16 01:10:39

rdococ
Scratcher

mattb777 wrote:

[0] Disable IMG tags
[0] Delete Misc.

But if you did what is shown in red, you'd be a spammer racing for posts, wouldn't you?

I respect all the desicions the ST makes.

#140 2012-02-16 01:14:21

Liru
Scratcher

rdococ wrote:

mattb777 wrote:

[0] Disable IMG tags
[0] Delete Misc.

But if you did what is shown in red, you'd be a spammer racing for posts, wouldn't you?

I respect all the desicions the ST makes.

I could say I hope someday I will be 90, doesn't mean I'm rushing my life, just means I want to live to be 90.

#141 2012-02-16 01:16:34

veggieman001
Scratcher

JJROCKER wrote:

Hmmmm... I don't really like the new change. Now it looks like someone with 1001 posts has the same post count as me... which was like 8,000

But what's wrong with that?

#142 2012-02-16 01:24:30

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Over 9000 :>

Dude you ripped the words from my mouth.

It's not my fault that I was born with superpowers

O_o

Wouldn't newbies spam to up their post count to >1000?  hmm

This doesnt' really solve the problem at hand  neutral

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#143 2012-02-16 01:37:19

Magnie
Scratcher

I'm not entirely sure if this feature is in place for FluxBB, but maybe disable post increments in Things Beyond Scratch specifically? And maybe, if you really want to spend the time, set it up so posts don't increment unless someone clicks a button or something on a post someone made (you can't click it for yourself though), that way it only increases your post count if someone considers it a decent post.

An example of a good post that you would click the button for, would be a post that answers a question, or leads the user in the right direction. One you wouldn't press the button for is if a user replies to a topic saying "I don't know how, sorry."

I see many flaws in this method, but just throwing an idea out there. Maybe we could build upon it?

#144 2012-02-16 02:01:39

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Magnie wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if this feature is in place for FluxBB, but maybe disable post increments in Things Beyond Scratch specifically?

Not very familiar with the FluxBB interface for implementing changes, but assuming this feature was possible: if the problem with spamming was just associated with topics outside of Scratch, then I suppose that could be done; but the issue is that it's a forum-wide thing form that is being observed. Too many time people look at each other's forum counts, and try to outpost another user, or they comment when they reach a certain post count (or comment when they observe another person's post count). The whole thing turns into a game at some point, with people observing each other's post counts. Granted there are some who will try to race for the achievement of hitting a certain tier and there will probably be those who try to keep track of their personal post count, but since post counts are usually an indicator of forum activity, having a tier system lessens the feel of a post-counting game (no more users trying to race with post counts).

And maybe, if you really want to spend the time, set it up so posts don't increment unless someone clicks a button or something on a post someone made (you can't click it for yourself though), that way it only increases your post count if someone considers it a decent post.

An example of a good post that you would click the button for, would be a post that answers a question, or leads the user in the right direction. One you wouldn't press the button for is if a user replies to a topic saying "I don't know how, sorry."

I see many flaws in this method, but just throwing an idea out there. Maybe we could build upon it?

One problem with karma ratings like this is that it can be easily abused to raise up a non-decent post. There's a bunch of threads in the suggestion forum for things like this, but it's still an ongoing discussion.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#145 2012-02-16 02:14:24

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

Dude you ripped the words from my mouth.

It's not my fault that I was born with superpowers

O_o

No, it doesn't (the only real way to stop all post count games is to hide it completely), but it should diminish the need to keeping track of each other's post and/or show off a massive post amount; after all, once someone hits 1000, that's pretty much just it for public goals.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#146 2012-02-16 02:45:25

Magnie
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

One problem with karma ratings like this is that it can be easily abused to raise up a non-decent post. There's a bunch of threads in the suggestion forum for things like this, but it's still an ongoing discussion.

Well, actually, the button is a one time thing. Once it's pressed, it can't be pressed again. And all it does is increase the post-count by one, it doesn't increase karma nor the post's karma. So there isn't anyway to really abuse it.

Even if people increase the count by pressing the button for a non-decent post, the difference between the post count isn't changed very much. If a user decided to find every non-decent post of a user and press the button for every single post, then that would become problematic, but I don't think anyone would be willing to waste time finding non-decent posts and pressing the button on them.

So the idea could be considered a karma system. But a one-time thing for every single post. Though of course, there are still flaws.  hmm

#147 2012-02-16 04:08:04

werdna123
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

jslomba wrote:

what about a >10000 thing

It would show if someone's been on for really long

That's part of what they're trying to stop, the politics of it. So, people would still want to reach 10,000. The 100, 500 and 1000 seems the best, as it helps you understand how long someone's been on, without bragging about it.

Which is why we need one more level for the ranks.

New Scratcher
Scratcher
Experienced/Trustworthy Scratcher

See, if the Experienced Scratcher Rank was chosen by the Scratch Team for people who help out lots, then that would solve many problems like that. And of course, the ranks wouldn't be determined by the user's post count.

#148 2012-02-16 05:04:39

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Magnie wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Well, actually, the button is a one time thing. Once it's pressed, it can't be pressed again. And all it does is increase the post-count by one, it doesn't increase karma nor the post's karma. So there isn't anyway to really abuse it.

Even if people increase the count by pressing the button for a non-decent post, the difference between the post count isn't changed very much. If a user decided to find every non-decent post of a user and press the button for every single post, then that would become problematic, but I don't think anyone would be willing to waste time finding non-decent posts and pressing the button on them.

So the idea could be considered a karma system. But a one-time thing for every single post. Though of course, there are still flaws.  hmm

Actually I was thinking about how a lot of people could easily use the function to raise up non-decent posts. And a one-time thing instead of a threshold for comment posts would rather make it worse because it doesn't take into consideration who is pressing the button to increase the post count. Not to mention that doesn't quite solve the problem of purposely induced post-count inflation or post count gaming, it just creates another hurdle for getting it higher and might make it even more game-like!  tongue

The whole thing kind of reminds me of the blind to pageview function on deviantART - there was an issue raised on how too many people focused on postcounts (people kept trying to aim for specific postcount numbers and tried to outdo each other at times), so the web designers designed a function that allows people to stop seeing stats of they chose to turn it on. For users who did turn it on, it gave the benefit of not being tempted to see their post count, but the trade-off is that you can't see which artist is undiscovered as opposed to popular; and since the blind function was optional, it still didn't address the issue of the postcount inflation.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2012-02-16 05:07:26)

#149 2012-02-16 05:26:52

Liru
Scratcher

*A few weeks later*
Hey guys, just made a plugin for your internet browsers which shows everyone's post count in normal numbers again.

Really, you change something for the worst then everyone changes it back, we're on a see-saw.

#150 2012-02-16 05:33:43

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

jji7skyline wrote:

They might - it's a compromise between the desire to take the emphasis off post count and the recognition that post count does provide a (admittedly incomplete) measure of experience.  But a post count spammer will be rewarded less often with this approach (only at the tier levels) and the rewards stop at 1000.  It's an experiment - we'll see how it works out.

Liru wrote:

*A few weeks later*
Hey guys, just made a plugin for your internet browsers which shows everyone's post count in normal numbers again.

Lol - yeah, we considered that possibility.  There's a lot of smart people in the Scratch community.

If that happens, then that tells us something about what the community considers important - or at least what the individuals that choose to employ such a hypothetical workaround consider important - so we learn something  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer