This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-04-09 23:06:04

tjolson
Scratcher

Paint editor question

I have a jpg that has a white background, that I would like to turn transparent. I see lots of colors on the pallet, but nothing to paint a transparent "color". Yet, I edited a jpg last week that when I selected what looked like a white square, did paint a checkerboard color which turned out to be transparent. I just don't know how I did it. Any suggestions?
Plus, I can't find any help on the Paint Editor.

#2 2007-04-11 17:12:32

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Paint editor question

The transparent color is indeed the one that looks like a checkboard. You can use the bucket to paint all the white areas with the transparent color.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-04-11 23:09:25

tjolson
Scratcher

Thanks. I need to check my glasses, it was there all along. Ugh.

#4 2007-04-12 08:35:10

jay
Scratch Team

Hi I started to answer this yesterday but then got distracted. Here's the picture I drew
http://web.media.mit.edu/~silver/scratch/help/clear.jpg

#5 2007-05-12 01:59:19

bernatp
Scratcher

I've a practical question, and I just didn't want to start a new topic.
What do you suggest me (and what I should suggest other people), If I (or they) would like to use an image from a website as a sprite? I know the drag-and-drop trick, but it doesn't work with the Sprite list. Should I get a surprise sprite and change the costume? This question came to my mind because the 'default sprite' button had been deleted and I used to use it, before.

#6 2007-05-12 08:59:41

tammy
Scratcher

Hi bernatp,

Getting a surprise sprite and then dragging a costume from a website over it should work the same way as getting the default cat sprite and dragging a costume over it.  Here are a couple of other ways to use an image from a website as a sprite:

1) If you drag the image over any sprite, and then go to the Costumes of that sprite and right-click on the costume that you want to turn into a new sprite, you will see an option "turn into new sprite"
2) You can save the image from the website on your computer and then click the "Choose new sprite from file" button underneath the stage, and navigate to where you saved the costume.

Hope that helps!
-Tammy

#7 2007-05-13 17:52:27

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I prefer to use the "edit new sprite" button (the paintbrush button) and then use the import button on the paint editor.  Then I don't have an old costume to get rid of.

Board footer