This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-02-01 23:32:07

agscratcher
Scratcher

Tommy Westphall Universe

Have any of you heard of a television series called St. Elsewhere? I didn't know much about it until now. One thing about it really stuck out: the Tommy Westphall Universe Theory. Let me explain...

WARNING: Major tl;dr approaching

[tl;dr]In the series, there is an autistic kid named Tommy Westphall. He was mostly a minor character throughout the series, but he gained notoriety in the series finale "The Last One." At the end, it shows Tommy playing with a snow globe. Later, the camera zooms in to show that the snow globe contains a replica of St. Elsewhere.

Many people have interpreted this to mean that the entire series took place inside of Tommy's imagination. That's a bit of a twist ending, but there's a problem: crossovers. Earlier in the series, there were crossovers with other series, most notably with Homocide: Life on the Street. This must mean that they were part of his imagination too. But they had crossovers as well. And they too had crossovers further. So on, so on, and so on. This creates a giant universe that consists of around %90 of television (yes, there was actual math involved with that statement). That's huge.

Even more confusing is that most of the things in this universe also exist within the Wold Newton Universe. Does this mean that the two universes are one? My head is actually hurting (probably a combination of the excess information and the fact that I'm writing this as 11:30. :p)[/tl;dr]

This is the most complete Tommy Westphall Universe chart I can find: Clicky

Discuss in general this universe and also the sheer ridiculousness of it. This can also be used to discuss the Wold Newton Universe, if you like.

http://narwhaler.com/img/yu/5/no-barrel-i-insist-after-you-spiderman-yU5Ua7.jpg

Board footer