This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2012-02-13 22:02:03

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Re: Discuss the Policies of This Forum

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

True, but it involves listening to music as well because people could post the tracklists for their mixes for other people to listen to.

I'll just wait for a mod to answer, thanks  smile

I guess it would depend on what exactly you were discussing. If you were going to discuss and share the tracklists, you'd put it in the reading and playing forum. But, if you wanted to discuss making them, you'd put it here.

I was planning on both, which is where my conundrum lies.

Perhaps one for each of the forums? It may get a bit confusing, but they are two different discussions.

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#77 2012-02-13 22:05:11

veggieman001
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

I guess it would depend on what exactly you were discussing. If you were going to discuss and share the tracklists, you'd put it in the reading and playing forum. But, if you wanted to discuss making them, you'd put it here.

I was planning on both, which is where my conundrum lies.

Perhaps one for each of the forums? It may get a bit confusing, but they are two different discussions.

It seems like one unified discussion to me. As I said, let's just wait for a mod. ^^

#78 2012-02-13 22:29:04

videogame9
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

Still, I think there should be a opinion section, another reason being, that the Making and Creating section is ok, but the reading and playing section doesn't really apply to me, since I read books, but don't play a lot of games, and I'm not really into games.

What about renaming the Making and Creating section "Creativity"?

Both forums also sound like Twittery type topics if you know what I mean. I don't like those kind of topics, and thankfully, not many of those have been made yet, but both titles seem to make it sound so, especially to new members.

What is your opinion on this?  smile

As veggie said, Reading and Playing is more than just books / games. The name doesn't really make that clear all that well - we agree. But we haven't heard a better suggestion yet.

One way we broke it down was: Creating (for MaC) and Consuming (for RaP). Creativity isn't bad, but it might suggest that the stuff in the other (Scratch related) forums isn't creative, which it is. "Creating" might work as well though.

But "Consuming" has some negative connotations... but perhaps you or other Scratchers can suggest a better term? We'd love to hear it.  smile

Consuming doesn't sound like a good name for a forum.
"HEY IMMA EATNG STUFF"

um... What I'm Making and What I'm Doing?

Last edited by videogame9 (2012-02-13 22:29:18)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4118/newvg9logo.png
QUOTE OF THE RIGHT NOW: why are we arguing about dead babies? -videogame9

#79 2012-02-13 22:32:32

Wickimen
Scratcher

videogame9 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

Still, I think there should be a opinion section, another reason being, that the Making and Creating section is ok, but the reading and playing section doesn't really apply to me, since I read books, but don't play a lot of games, and I'm not really into games.

What about renaming the Making and Creating section "Creativity"?

Both forums also sound like Twittery type topics if you know what I mean. I don't like those kind of topics, and thankfully, not many of those have been made yet, but both titles seem to make it sound so, especially to new members.

What is your opinion on this?  smile

As veggie said, Reading and Playing is more than just books / games. The name doesn't really make that clear all that well - we agree. But we haven't heard a better suggestion yet.

One way we broke it down was: Creating (for MaC) and Consuming (for RaP). Creativity isn't bad, but it might suggest that the stuff in the other (Scratch related) forums isn't creative, which it is. "Creating" might work as well though.

But "Consuming" has some negative connotations... but perhaps you or other Scratchers can suggest a better term? We'd love to hear it.  smile

"HEY IMMA EATNG STUFF"

What I'm Doing is too broad
I'm eating a donut
I'm going swimming
I'm going to school tomorrow
I'm counterfeiting money--I mean, being cost-effective
   actually this might be a MaC topic
I'm running the mile

Those all fit
So does pretty much everything

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#80 2012-02-13 22:33:59

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

"HEY IMMA EATNG STUFF"

I'm eating a donut
I'm going swimming
I'm running the mile

Those all fit

Plus, it seems to encourage the worst posts of all time...

Tweets.

yikes

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#81 2012-02-13 22:35:58

Wickimen
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

"HEY IMMA EATNG STUFF"

I'm eating a donut
I'm going swimming
I'm running the mile

Those all fit

Plus, it seems to encourage the worst posts of all time...

Tweets.

yikes

Yop.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#82 2012-02-14 04:31:11

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Would a topic on making mixtapes go here?

Yeah, that would count as something you're "Making or Creating."

True, but it involves listening to music as well because people could post the tracklists for their mixes for other people to listen to.

My feeling is that it could go here, if there is an overall creative theme that you are aiming for.  You would then be selecting from a pallet of songs to create a blended vision of your own - much like remixing elements of Scratch projects.

However, if the discussion was framed more like "what are your favorite songs - I want to make a mix tape" I'm not sure that really embodies the creative depth we were hoping for here.  Can you explain more about the project?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#83 2012-02-14 10:46:12

veggieman001
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

Yeah, that would count as something you're "Making or Creating."

My feeling is that it could go here, if there is an overall creative theme that you are aiming for.  You would then be selecting from a pallet of songs to create a blended vision of your own - much like remixing elements of Scratch projects.

However, if the discussion was framed more like "what are your favorite songs - I want to make a mix tape" I'm not sure that really embodies the creative depth we were hoping for here.  Can you explain more about the project?

Okay.

So I made a mixtape yesterday, the kind of this with a collaged cover, carefully selected themed tracklist, and hand-typed labels. I'd love to make a thread where I and others could show mixtapes and even just playlists we've made, which I think does have enough of a creative element, especially if they do all the work that I did.

#84 2012-02-14 14:48:55

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

veggieman001 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Okay.

So I made a mixtape yesterday, the kind of this with a collaged cover, carefully selected themed tracklist, and hand-typed labels. I'd love to make a thread where I and others could show mixtapes and even just playlists we've made, which I think does have enough of a creative element, especially if they do all the work that I did.

Sounds good to me...when you set up the topic, perhaps go into a some of the details you just mentioned so that it sets a good creative vibe.  Try not to let it turn into a simple discussion of "band X or track Y stinks" since that would really belong better in RaP.  A discussion of "band X or track Y stinks because it doesn't fit the mix tape theme" would be fine, however.  See what I did there?

#85 2012-02-14 18:18:44

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Okay.

Sounds good to me...when you set up the topic, perhaps go into a some of the details you just mentioned so that it sets a good creative vibe.  Try not to let it turn into a simple discussion of "band X or track Y stinks" since that would really belong better in RaP.  A discussion of "band X or track Y stinks because it doesn't fit the mix tape theme" would be fine, however.  See what I did there?

You promoted flaming is ok, if you post longer posts?  lol  (Sorry bad joke  tongue )

We should keep ontopic?  hmm

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#86 2012-02-15 15:30:48

majormax
Scratcher

Whoa. 14/27 topics are minecraft on first page (not counting stickies) when I come home from school.

#87 2012-02-16 05:14:28

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

jji7skyline wrote:

You promoted flaming is ok, if you post longer posts?  lol  (Sorry bad joke  tongue )

We should keep ontopic?  hmm

Did I?  Well, that wasn't my intent  smile 

I think what I was trying to say is that sometimes the act of creation requires a bit of focused destruction.  When you are sculpting something from stone, you have to chip away the parts that do not add to the final form.  Not because those bits of rock are inherently "bad" - but because they are not harmonious with the creation.  And when you are making a themed mixtape - you may find that some of the tracks take away more than they add - and should be removed from the mix.

#88 2012-02-16 07:20:36

werdna123
Scratcher

Is there anywhere a topic about records would go? For example, we've just passed 1,000,00 scratchers and are very very close to 300k project creators and I want to discuss when people think we'll hit other milestones.

Last edited by werdna123 (2012-02-16 07:20:54)

#89 2012-02-16 13:03:12

Blackdog100
Scratcher

I'm making a series about what goes on in my mind. It's crazy but my friends say it is slightly funny. In it I just let my thoughts run free. Could I post it even though it's so random and stupid? XD

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/Kat_De_Kat/photo-1.jpg

#90 2012-02-16 19:14:40

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

werdna123 wrote:

Is there anywhere a topic about records would go? For example, we've just passed 1,000,00 scratchers and are very very close to 300k project creators and I want to discuss when people think we'll hit other milestones.

The best place for that discussion would be on Questions About Scratch, I'd say.

Blackdog100 wrote:

I'm making a series about what goes on in my mind. It's crazy but my friends say it is slightly funny. In it I just let my thoughts run free. Could I post it even though it's so random and stupid? XD

What kind of a series is it?  A Scatch project?  A comic strip?  A serial story?

#91 2012-02-19 22:42:23

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

Question: Are people allowed to make topics for Minecraft Servers that they're going to make later? (please say no, they're really annoying)

#92 2012-02-19 22:45:01

veggieman001
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

(please say no, they're really annoying)

LOL

#93 2012-02-20 07:12:37

slinger
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

Question: Are people allowed to make topics for Minecraft Servers that they're going to make later? (please say no, they're really annoying)

I agree.

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#94 2012-02-20 15:53:42

zbugni
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

They sure are.

#95 2012-02-20 23:58:32

Liru
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

All of these "I'm buying server software in 3 billion years, give me ideas" just spam up the forum, and there's way too many servers now and people bump them up themselves.

#96 2012-02-20 23:59:17

lundfamily3
Scratcher

Is RPing stuff go in here?

http://i50.tinypic.com/zn102h.jpg

#97 2012-02-21 00:03:43

veggieman001
Scratcher

lundfamily3 wrote:

No, that goes in the TBGs.

#98 2012-02-21 10:26:29

elfin8er
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

puppetadventurer wrote:

All of these "I'm buying server software in 3 billion years, give me ideas" just spam up the forum, and there's way too many servers now and people bump them up themselves.

But, in my opinion, CURRENT minecraft servers are ok. Some people, not to name names (*cough cough* imnotbob *cough cough* Do make those kind of "I'm buying server software in 35 billion years, give me ideas". You know, there's a pretty neat website called minecraft.net. BUT! That doesn't mean they aren't aloud to do it, they just souldn't do it.

Last edited by elfin8er (2012-02-21 10:27:00)

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o723/stevetheipad/goldlittlesig.png

#99 2012-02-22 17:47:13

tomtheipad
Scratcher

lundfamily3 wrote:

Nope, goes here

#100 2012-02-25 03:55:06

wolvesstar97
Scratcher

Question: should all Minecraft things be merged into the Minecraft Official Topic? Becuase whenever I go on MaC more than half the topics are Minecraft.

Or, even ban Minecraft from the forums, finding a diffrent forum to discuss it. (I doubt that will happen)

Last edited by wolvesstar97 (2012-02-25 03:55:27)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551365/psyko.png

Board footer