This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#226 2012-01-23 20:52:36

veggieman001
Scratcher

Re: The Miscellaneous forum will be replaced 1/26/12

ssss wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

ssss wrote:

What are the needs of hosting sites?  Because I might be able to make one, with what the needs are.

I think they're looking for a popular one with large moderation staff though

Lol.  That's likely not going to be found  tongue
My one was going to add in some security though.  With reporting functions and the such.  It will also be based on  a family TOC as well.  hmm

Well I think we should use Maj.

#227 2012-01-23 20:54:38

blazerv82
Scratcher

bananaman114 wrote:

maybe they could make their own image hosting site and review everything on it before it can be posted!

that would be a pain
i mean
think of how many of us like to post images
then think of how many would need to be approved
they'd have to have some sort of 24/7 moderation/approval thing going
i doubt that would work

anyways
yeah
imageshack isnt too bad
and probably fits the bill

im not sure about photobucket however
I use both

Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, Closer To God, The Downward Spiral, Further Down The Spiral, The Perfect Drug, The Fragile, And All That Could Have Been, With Teeth, Year Zero, Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, Ghosts I-IV, The Slip, Pretty Hate Machine 2010

#228 2012-01-23 20:55:06

veggieman001
Scratcher

Majmajmajmajmajmajmajmajmajmajmaj

#229 2012-01-23 20:57:17

zippynk
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

What is maj?

Edit: Just found out you posted a link.

Does Maj have a good moderation team?

Last edited by zippynk (2012-01-23 20:58:59)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/trifocal_interlude_soundcloud_button.png

#230 2012-01-23 20:58:03

veggieman001
Scratcher

zippynk wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

What is maj?

Edit: Just found out you posted a link.

:>

#231 2012-01-23 20:58:33

Lucario621
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

ssss wrote:

Anything about programming though, is covered in advanced topics...  I wouldn't like to have to go down to IAM to post about all my programming things, Jeez, most of my later posts have been in Advanced Topics, rather than in Misc.  I guess I moved on from games & the such  hmm

Actually, I've seen it in both Miscellaneous and Advanced Topics, one of the big issues of that debate about the need of a programming etc. forum was that if Advanced Topics should be left to things more related to Scratch (such as modified version of the interface), or if it could be open to advanced things in general.

Well, doesn't "programming" go under "creating"?

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#232 2012-01-23 21:00:51

veggieman001
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

ssss wrote:

Anything about programming though, is covered in advanced topics...  I wouldn't like to have to go down to IAM to post about all my programming things, Jeez, most of my later posts have been in Advanced Topics, rather than in Misc.  I guess I moved on from games & the such  hmm

Actually, I've seen it in both Miscellaneous and Advanced Topics, one of the big issues of that debate about the need of a programming etc. forum was that if Advanced Topics should be left to things more related to Scratch (such as modified version of the interface), or if it could be open to advanced things in general.

I honestly would agree with this. I think Adv. Topics, at least in my mind, is for Scratch mods, advanced Scratch scripting, and programming projects related to Scratch, like Go Everywhere!, ScratchBB, and other projects of the like.

#233 2012-01-23 21:09:46

ssss
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

I honestly would agree with this. I think Adv. Topics, at least in my mind, is for Scratch mods, advanced Scratch scripting, and programming projects related to Scratch, like Go Everywhere!, ScratchBB, and other projects of the like.

I always seem to get more help with my projects when I post in AT, namely because when I post there, it's all the people making other Advanced projects that help me...

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

#234 2012-01-23 21:10:54

coolstuff
Community Moderator

veggieman001 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Yup, AT is for Scratch-Related things which may be a bit beyond the scope of your average scratcher.  smile

As for the two new forum titles - I'd suggest "Creating" and "Consuming" or something, but that might be a bit too complicated.  smile

#235 2012-01-23 21:12:25

FreshStudios
Scratcher

hmm  Where will we post stuff that doesn't fit into any of any topics? I mean, if I said: What is the best scratch project ever? , that wouldn't fit into any subforum. Also, what if we wanted help in life? Where would we post that stuff? And where would all the good old forum posts go?

http://i43.tinypic.com/24ymnbn.png

#236 2012-01-23 21:13:22

bananaman114
Scratcher

FreshStudios wrote:

hmm  Where will we post stuff that doesn't fit into any of any topics? I mean, if I said: What is the best scratch project ever? , that wouldn't fit into any subforum. Also, what if we wanted help in life? Where would we post that stuff? And where would all the good old forum posts go?

down the drain
whop whop whop whop

the sun still shines

#237 2012-01-23 21:16:58

blazerv82
Scratcher

FreshStudios wrote:

well
scratch really isnt the place for most of the topics found here
i mean
you cant really deny that the misc section of the forums has degraded into something like a "chat room" because of those types of topics

it's for the better that we shake things up a bit here
and make things more "set in stone" than they have been for the past few months/year

Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, Closer To God, The Downward Spiral, Further Down The Spiral, The Perfect Drug, The Fragile, And All That Could Have Been, With Teeth, Year Zero, Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, Ghosts I-IV, The Slip, Pretty Hate Machine 2010

#238 2012-01-23 21:17:41

coolstuff
Community Moderator

FreshStudios wrote:

If you'd like help in life, we've posted numerous links where you can get external counselling. While we do hope you the best, it's really not our responsibility to moderate discussions which have absolutely nothing to do with the scope of Scratch. Scratch was designed as a programming site, not a place for people to chat.

"What is the best Scratch project ever" could easily go in Questions About Scratch, too.  smile

#239 2012-01-23 21:18:25

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

JJROCKER wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Will new scratchers be able to post in the new forums, or will they have to be Scratchers?

New Scratchers will be able to post in the new forums.

Ooh, there's an upside
For some people.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#240 2012-01-23 21:20:35

blazerv82
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

JJROCKER wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Will new scratchers be able to post in the new forums, or will they have to be Scratchers?

Ooh, there's an upside
For some people.  smile

i can finally post on my alternate account
that i never use
horrah

i suppose this will introduce us to new people as well
good things all around

#241 2012-01-23 21:20:58

coolstuff
Community Moderator

SJRCS_011 wrote:

JJROCKER wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Ooh, there's an upside
For some people.  smile

Well, the reason New Scratchers couldn't post in the old (current) Miscellaneous was because it was highly likely they could troll (they could reach a greater audience there than in any of the other forums). Given that there would be a reduced user base for the new forums, it would be less of a "target" for trolls, so there's really no reason to prevent New Scratchers from participating in some friendly discussion about what they're up to.

#242 2012-01-23 21:22:13

veggieman001
Scratcher

I like that this is partially acting as an unbiased filter to show who actually cares about the community.

#243 2012-01-23 21:22:22

rabbit1131
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

JJROCKER wrote:

Ooh, there's an upside
For some people.  smile

Well, the reason New Scratchers couldn't post in the old (current) Miscellaneous was because it was highly likely they could troll (they could reach a greater audience there than in any of the other forums). Given that there would be a reduced user base for the new forums, it would be less of a "target" for trolls, so there's really no reason to prevent New Scratchers from participating in some friendly discussion about what they're up to.

This is exactly my issue. It will have a smaller userbase, because it is split. It's like cutting a community in half with a wall, and we ARE a community.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#244 2012-01-23 21:23:31

coolstuff
Community Moderator

rabbit1131 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Ooh, there's an upside
For some people.  smile

This is exactly my issue. It will have a smaller userbase, because it is split. It's like cutting a community in half with a wall, and we ARE a community.

Not necessarily. You're more than free to participate in however many forums as you wish; in fact, I feel more than certain that *most* community members will participate in both forums (and preferably more in the upper sections).

#245 2012-01-23 21:25:46

rabbit1131
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Not necessarily. You're more than free to participate in however many forums as you wish; in fact, I feel more than certain that *most* community members will participate in both forums (and preferably more in the upper sections).

It's just harder to do, another hoop to jump  hmm

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#246 2012-01-23 21:27:23

veggieman001
Scratcher

rabbit1131 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

So you're complaining that it takes too much effort? Are you too lazy to use more than one forum?  tongue

#247 2012-01-23 21:28:26

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

So you're complaining that it takes too much effort? Are you too lazy to use more than one forum?  tongue

ohohohohoho

#248 2012-01-23 21:33:30

rabbit1131
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Umm...
You wanna contact somebody, but which forum do you choose?

#249 2012-01-23 21:35:13

coolstuff
Community Moderator

rabbit1131 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

rabbit1131 wrote:

Umm...
You wanna contact somebody, but which forum do you choose?

The new setup of the forums will essentially eliminate this individual "contact" - it fits in neither forum.

#250 2012-01-23 21:37:06

Chrischb
Scratcher

Everyone should place their bets on what forum will be the most popular  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

Board footer