This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Databases (TECH WARNING, COMPLICATED TOPIC) (simple version included)

#26 2012-02-07 15:27:49

P110
Scratcher

Re: Databases (TECH WARNING, COMPLICATED TOPIC) (simple version included)

D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:
WOW!

So if the data was stored in the ☁ (cloud) the log in script would look something like this (example from my monkey banana log in script)

when gf clicked
ask [please enter your username] and wait
query1 ☁ [cloud server] for field [answer]
If <query1 = true>
  set [username] to [answer]
else
  broadcast [access denied]
if <query1 = true>
  ask [please enter your password] and wait
  query2 ☁  [cloud server] for field [answer]
  set [password] to answer
  broadcast (join [answer] to [ through]
else
when I recieve [new user]
query3 ☁ [cloud server] for field [answer]
if <query3 = true>
  broadcast [new user]
  stop script
else
  set [cloud server column username] [new entry] to [answer]
  set [cloud server column password] [new entry] to [answer]
Now that may look a little long, but it would help me allot, thanks st for replying, I didn't expect all of your help with this!!!

Two quick questions, would the cloud server be ssl secure, or not, or any other way secure.

And is scratch called scratch or squeak, because in the version info it says squeak but everywhere else it is scratch?

Thanks again for your help ST and thanks to everyone else for their help as well, as usual if there are any problems with the code above or this post, post them below!

Lovin' the new forum scratch blocks btw.

Last edited by P110 (2012-02-07 15:34:04)

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#27 2012-02-07 16:42:32

sdg1
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

Oh, the ST does look at suggestions.  tongue
Do could variables work in projects that are not uploaded?

Not at the moment. In any case, you'll need an Internet connection to make this work.

#28 2012-02-07 16:43:51

sdg1
Scratch Team

prototype47 wrote:

I'm giggling inside. 
Not to push, but is Scratch 2.0 nearing anything like completion? If you can't say that's fine.

We are going to go into beta phase in the next few months.

#29 2012-02-07 17:04:08

sdg1
Scratch Team

P110 wrote:

D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:
WOW!

So if the data was stored in the ☁ (cloud) the log in script would look something like this (example from my monkey banana log in script)

when gf clicked
If <query1 = true>
else
if <query1 = true>
  set [password] to answer
else
if <query3 = true>
  broadcast [new user]
  stop script
else
Now that may look a little long, but it would help me allot, thanks st for replying, I didn't expect all of your help with this!!!

Two quick questions, would the cloud server be ssl secure, or not, or any other way secure.

And is scratch called scratch or squeak, because in the version info it says squeak but everywhere else it is scratch?

Thanks again for your help ST and thanks to everyone else for their help as well, as usual if there are any problems with the code above or this post, post them below!

Actually handling user information may be easier. We are thinking about having a block in the sensor category called "Scratcher name", which would give you the username of the person running the project.

So your code can look like:

when gf clicked
if < [☁ registered users v] contains (Scratcher name) >
  broadcast [Log in and start v]
else
  broadcast [New user v] //Start registration code for new user
To answer your questions, the cloud server right now is _not_ going to be secure. Scratch is called Scratch - squeak is the underlying programming system.

#30 2012-02-07 17:30:41

Lucario621
Community Moderator

sdg1 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

How would you know if I used a block that said "set cloud high score to 999999999999"?

That is entirely possible - and you are free to make your own choice as a programmer for your Scratch project.
When remixing other's projects, the Scratch editor will know that you are remixing, and will allocate a new slot on the server for your remix project's cloud variable.

By "remixing", does you mean the transition from the Scratch player to the Scratch "editor" (where you program everything)? Perhaps the cloud variables will not be able to be changed except by scripts within the project, or if the creator of the project re-uploads the project (resetting the variables).

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#31 2012-02-07 18:03:05

sdg1
Scratch Team

Lucario621 wrote:

sdg1 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

How would you know if I used a block that said "set cloud high score to 999999999999"?

That is entirely possible - and you are free to make your own choice as a programmer for your Scratch project.
When remixing other's projects, the Scratch editor will know that you are remixing, and will allocate a new slot on the server for your remix project's cloud variable.

By "remixing", does you mean the transition from the Scratch player to the Scratch "editor" (where you program everything)? Perhaps the cloud variables will not be able to be changed except by scripts within the project, or if the creator of the project re-uploads the project (resetting the variables).

Yes - I meant the transition from player to editor. There is an exception - if the user doing the transition is the original creator, then the "new slot" rule does not apply. So the creator of the project can always reset the variables.

#32 2012-02-07 19:09:02

bobbybee
Scratcher

Maybe you could have it so the data is encrypted using a key that is, perhaps, the blockspecs of the scripts in the project concatenated together. This way, only the same exact project can correctly modify the cloud variable.

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#33 2012-02-07 23:30:24

scimonster
Community Moderator

bobbybee wrote:

Maybe you could have it so the data is encrypted using a key that is, perhaps, the blockspecs of the scripts in the project concatenated together. This way, only the same exact project can correctly modify the cloud variable.

Or have it prefixed by the project ID, or use a SQL table that looks something like this:

Code:

ProjID  | VarName   | VarType | VarValue
1234556 | Variable  | var     | 3
4375823 | List      | list    | 2|3|4

In the list value, values would be separated by pipes, and an actual pipe be escaped.

And about beta status of 2.0: :DDDDDDDDD

#34 2012-02-08 00:26:40

sdg1
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Or have it prefixed by the project ID, or use a SQL table that looks something like this:

Code:

In the list value, values would be separated by pipes, and an actual pipe be escaped.

Yes, we are using the project id to identify the variables. There are a few other details in that too - I'll probably publish the spec on how this thing works in the Scratch wiki once we release Scratch 2.0  smile .

#35 2012-02-08 00:28:48

scimonster
Community Moderator

sdg1 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

Code:

Yes, we are using the project id to identify the variables. There are a few other details in that too - I'll probably publish the spec on how this thing works in the Scratch wiki once we release Scratch 2.0  smile .

Sounds cool! And I'll actually let you get to that before me, since you know a whole lot more about it. XD

#36 2012-02-08 16:30:41

P110
Scratcher

sdg1 wrote:

P110 wrote:

WOW!

when gf clicked
If <query1 = true>
else
if <query1 = true>
  set [password] to answer
else
if <query3 = true>
  broadcast [new user]
  stop script
else

Actually handling user information may be easier. We are thinking about having a block in the sensor category called "Scratcher name", which would give you the username of the person running the project.

when gf clicked
else
To answer your questions, the cloud server right now is _not_ going to be secure. Scratch is called Scratch - squeak is the underlying programming system.

When you put it that way it's allot better, with only one recaction, (ST YOU ROCK)

BTW thanks for actually coming into the forum for us, I mean you could have just said, were working on it, but you even answered questions!  big_smile , Thanks very much!

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#37 2012-02-08 16:54:52

prototype47
Scratcher

Woah.  That is something I never dreamed that Scratch would actually incorporate.  Sdg1, thanks so much for the info!  This is gonna be amazing.

SED is temporarily abandoned while I move onto new areas, such as AI with pathfinding, individual reactions, and group communication.  More complex projects are also brewing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41930734/newsig.png

#38 2012-02-08 17:33:35

scratchisthebest
Scratcher

They would have to find out a way to stop those annoying people who will say:

add [ '); DROP TABLE database ] to online database

And also allow people to write apostrophes and double quotes.

sad

bye 1.4, we all loved you. but we all outgrew the site. 2.0 is a welcome change.
http://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.pnghttp://scratch.mit.edu/img/Pico3-med.png

#39 2012-02-08 23:33:35

sdg1
Scratch Team

@P110 and @prototype47 and others: Thank you! We are quite excited with the new feature, and we are happy to see you guys excited as well  smile .

@scratchisthebest: Oh - we are not using a SQL database, and we would certainly not let people send any sort of query to the server (we have a pretty restricted protocol). But it's great that you are thinking of it!

#40 2012-02-09 11:29:33

P110
Scratcher

sdg1 wrote:

P110 wrote:

WOW!

when gf clicked
If <query1 = true>
else
if <query1 = true>
  set [password] to answer
else
if <query3 = true>
  broadcast [new user]
  stop script
else

when gf clicked
else

Ah slight problem, I would have to use mine because I'm planning on having it on my website, for people who aren't actually on scratch.

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#41 2012-02-09 15:18:37

prototype47
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

Ah slight problem, I would have to use mine because I'm planning on having it on my website, for people who aren't actually on scratch.

I checked out your website btw. Nice.  Anyway, you could just have the project add their info to one of your cloud lists on the Scratch database.  Wouldn't everything be able to run off of that?  Instead of hosting your own database, just use theirs?

I mean if you really need to use your own database, I'd talk to magnie and look at his (I believe he's a guy) chat.  It's embedded online and can communicate with an online database.
http://zero-bgn.de/scratchgerman/meshjava

Last edited by prototype47 (2012-02-09 19:35:50)

SED is temporarily abandoned while I move onto new areas, such as AI with pathfinding, individual reactions, and group communication.  More complex projects are also brewing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41930734/newsig.png

#42 2012-02-10 12:17:13

P110
Scratcher

prototype47 wrote:

P110 wrote:

Ah, slight problem, I would have to use mine because I'm planning on having it on my website, for people who aren't actually on scratch.

I checked out your website btw. Nice.  Anyway, you could just have the project add their info to one of your cloud lists on the Scratch database.  Wouldn't everything be able to run off of that?  Instead of hosting your own database, just use theirs?

I mean if you really need to use your own database, I'd talk to magnie and look at his (I believe he's a guy) chat.  It's embedded online and can communicate with an online database.
http://zero-bgn.de/scratchgerman/meshjava

Thanks for visiting my website, I'd like to use the integrated scratch version, just to make it a bit easier.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, because this is what we need! More people interested!

And HI to our new ST friend sdg1

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#43 2012-02-10 13:23:02

Servine
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

(TECHY VERSION)

(This could be added to the variables section and it could be called saveable variabe, so it is easy for new scratchers)

Hey there,
Now if Scratch had SQL database functionality, wouldn't it be allot better because say somebody wanted a login you wouldn't have to recode it every time!

It would be good if scratch hosted the SQL database but if they couldn't there are a load of free services on the net (Not mentioning any names so that this doesn't get kicked off by moderators)

You could have a little code category saying database and there could be blocks such as save to database, check database, delete from database and amend in database and the check block would be useful because you could do a sign-up page and it could check if there was already that username being used!

Thanks for reading  smile

P110
--------------------------------------
Head of Monkey Banana

Anyhoo it does say simple version up there so here goes!
(SIMPLE VERSION)

(This could be added to the variables section and it could be called saveable variabe, so it is easy for new scratchers)

Hey there,
Now this is quite techy but I will try to make it a bit simpler.

(Comment from scimonster: It is a list stored online somewhere)

If we could store text into a database which is a thing that can hold lots of information and is used allot for usernames and passwords.

People could use it for logins storing usernames and passwords in it, it could be used on a signup project page so that is checks if the username is in use and it could store the username and password so you don't have to recode a project every time somebody requests a username and password

P110
------------------------------------
Head of Monkey Banana

I have made exactly what you want. Everything is stored in a .txt. If you find the original topic of the server, I might give it you. I want to see if anybody actually cares.

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/?name=Servine

#44 2012-02-10 15:51:14

P110
Scratcher

Servine wrote:

P110 wrote:

(TECHY VERSION)

Hey there,
Now if Scratch had SQL database functionality, wouldn't it be allot better because say somebody wanted a login you wouldn't have to recode it every time!

It would be good if scratch hosted the SQL database but if they couldn't there are a load of free services on the net (Not mentioning any names so that this doesn't get kicked off by moderators)

You could have a little code category saying database and there could be blocks such as save to database, check database, delete from database and amend in database and the check block would be useful because you could do a sign-up page and it could check if there was already that username being used!

P110
Head of Monkey Banana

(SIMPLE VERSION)

Hey there,

If we could store text into a database which is a thing that can hold lots of information and is used allot for usernames and passwords.

People could use it for logins storing usernames and passwords in it, it could be used on a signup project page so that is checks if the username is in use and it could store the username and password so you don't have to recode a project every time somebody requests a username and password

P110
Head of Monkey Banana

I have made exactly what you want. Everything is stored in a .txt. If you find the original topic of the server, I might give it you. I want to see if anybody actually cares.

Do they need to download anything? Like the .txt file? Because I want people to just visit the site and play.

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#45 2012-02-11 07:45:31

Servine
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

Servine wrote:

P110 wrote:

(TECHY VERSION)

Hey there,

P110
Head of Monkey Banana

(SIMPLE VERSION)

Hey there,

P110
Head of Monkey Banana

Do they need to download anything? Like the .txt file? Because I want people to just visit the site and play.

no no. All the client does is connect to the server and read the .txt

#46 2012-02-11 12:32:29

P110
Scratcher

Servine wrote:

Hrm, sounds good, except it might be a bit hard to intergrate on my website, and I bring out new updates, pretty much daily, so maybe it'd be best just to use the intergrated version. I'm not saying no though. I am still interested!  smile

So just so I know how it works exactly, the java applet reads the .txt file and then connects it up to a database? Probably wrong, but just need to get this straight.

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#47 2012-02-11 12:34:55

P110
Scratcher

BTW has anyone noticed Sdg1 hasn't commented in a while! Maybe they're on holiday? I hope they comment again soon!

Me live on 2.0 now  sad

#48 2012-02-12 05:00:35

Servine
Scratcher

P110 wrote:

Servine wrote:

Hrm, sounds good, except it might be a bit hard to intergrate on my website, and I bring out new updates, pretty much daily, so maybe it'd be best just to use the intergrated version. I'm not saying no though. I am still interested!  smile

So just so I know how it works exactly, the java applet reads the .txt file and then connects it up to a database? Probably wrong, but just need to get this straight.

I can't exactly tell you more right now, because I made it for the ShadowStar collab (something a top dev in my Kabam project made after Kabam died out!

#49 2012-02-12 05:36:45

Servine
Scratcher

Wow. That's a good way of encrypting it. Will there be a limit on how much a user could actually store, because looking at the users now, the ones who created something, we'd be looking at 297,772Bytes (0.0002773217GB) if they only used ONE variable. I thought it would be bigger  tongue

#50 2012-02-13 14:43:37

sdg1
Scratch Team

P110 wrote:

And HI to our new ST friend sdg1

Thanks!!  smile

P110 wrote:

With Scratch 2.0, we are definitely looking at different ways in which people can embed Scratch projects in their website. The editor/Scratch App will live on http://scratch.mit.edu.

I'm also thinking if there should be ways to access the online variable/list storage system from non Scratch systems, but I don't have specific plans yet.

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Databases (TECH WARNING, COMPLICATED TOPIC) (simple version included)

Board footer