This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-01-01 15:08:01

imnotbob
Scratcher

Re: Forum threads about sexual orientation

wolvesstar97 wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.
I always avoided those topics because I felt uncomfortable around them, so I'm relieved that this came along.

+1.

I actually flagged it saying that I didnt think there has to be a topic like this on Scratch.

Read my post (the lengthy one AND this one).

It's like an outlet for us, and by "us", I mean most of the LGBT Scratch community.
Some of us are closeted and will stay closeted for a long time
We need a place like that thread, IMO~

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#27 2012-01-01 16:08:18

jji7skyline
Scratcher

At last!  big_smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#28 2012-01-01 18:11:42

imnotbob
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.
I always avoided those topics because I felt uncomfortable around them, so I'm relieved that this came along.

How are you uncomfortable around them?

shadow_7283 wrote:

they are aware of these issues!  smile

Issues? By issues, do you mean issues with moderation on LGBT topics?

rabbit1131 wrote:

Thanks ST!
I like the way you dealt with it.

If people didn't go on there to be rude (not naming names, but I have a point here), maybe the topic would still be there.

Excuse me if I seem rude, I don't want to flame. Just want to know.

And,

coolstuff wrote:

sanddude wrote:

This is basically starting this whole thing up again.

How do you mean?

I think he means that posting to topic is just making people who were already mad even more mad. I don't know.

Last edited by imnotbob (2012-01-01 18:16:20)

#29 2012-01-01 19:57:20

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

And also, the T, transgender, isn't a sexual orientation.  It's also not fair to ban that along with sexual orientation threads.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#30 2012-01-01 20:19:54

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

PlutoIsHades wrote:

And also, the T, transgender, isn't a sexual orientation.  It's also not fair to ban that along with sexual orientation threads.

While the umbrella title given to this thread is slightly incorrect, the points of the topic still stand. I understand that many people are frustrated by this decision. At first I was reluctant to accept this change, but in my opinion it is for the good.

To be frank, there was a lot of misunderstanding and incorrect information being posted on the LGBT thread. It is beyond the moderators' purview to correct misinformation, and it follows that these kinds of topics should be directed towards spaces designed to handle them. (trevorspace, itgetsbetter, etc.)

I'd be happy to discuss any further concerns you have about the issue, as I feel it is an important one.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#31 2012-01-01 20:21:28

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

While the umbrella title given to this thread is slightly incorrect, the points of the topic still stand. I understand that many people are frustrated by this decision. At first I was reluctant to accept this change, but in my opinion it is for the good.

To be frank, there was a lot of misunderstanding and incorrect information being posted on the LGBT thread. It is beyond the moderators' purview to correct misinformation, and it follows that these kinds of topics should be directed towards spaces designed to handle them. (trevorspace, itgetsbetter, etc.)

I'd be happy to discuss any further concerns you have about the issue, as I feel it is an important one.

Can you give an example of incorrect information that was posted, please?
And on the new topic, not the old.  I know incorrect info on the old thread.

Last edited by PlutoIsHades (2012-01-01 20:22:08)

#32 2012-01-01 20:35:49

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

I don't want to post specific names because it was not my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable. There was simply a lack of understanding for the nuances of words such as Transexual, Asexual, Intersexual etc. These are immensely complex issues that are not always agreed upon. I feel that do to the younger age of our community, these issues were not fully understood by the majority of people.  We don't want anyone coming to hold incorrect views about these issues, so linking to powerful resources about these things in a good idea.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#33 2012-01-01 21:23:41

imnotbob
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

I don't want to post specific names because it was not my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable. There was simply a lack of understanding for the nuances of words such as Transexual, Asexual, Intersexual etc. These are immensely complex issues that are not always agreed upon. I feel that do to the younger age of our community, these issues were not fully understood by the majority of people.  We don't want anyone coming to hold incorrect views about these issues, so linking to powerful resources about these things is a good idea.

While this is true, I don't think it was fair to ban the topics--the simple solution is for the people who do not understand or accept LGBT people to not post... isn't it?

#34 2012-01-01 21:29:48

Albertt911
Scratcher

While I disagree with the closure, I do understand where you're coming from.
Would there be a way of say, filtering the LGBT topic? Or would that be too much of a hassle. We also have to think about if it's worth the hassle. I believe it is, as it is a topic that is outstanding amongst the community. If not, would you be able to allow links to imnotbobs' forums? (given that they are filtered and moderated up to par.)

'The only problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, and the wise so full of doubt.'
http://dragcave.net/image/hutmJ.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/5eYiP.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/AqXnJ.gif

#35 2012-01-01 21:32:32

imnotbob
Scratcher

Albertt911 wrote:

While I disagree with the closure, I do understand where you're coming from.
Would there be a way of say, filtering the LGBT topic? Or would that be too much of a hassle. We also have to think about if it's worth the hassle. I believe it is, as it is a topic that is outstanding amongst the community. If not, would you be able to allow links to imnotbobs' forums? (given that they are filtered and moderated up to par.)

Apparently, we not only have to have been alive for 3 months, but need to have had a good community for 3 months as well...

I still think the forum would be appropriate at this time seeing as many people are upset about this.  hmm

And yes, I have to type every curse word and make a censor for them.
Never again 3:

#36 2012-01-01 22:15:41

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

imnotbob wrote:

wolvesstar97 wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.

+1.

I actually flagged it saying that I didnt think there has to be a topic like this on Scratch.

Read my post (the lengthy one AND this one).

It's like an outlet for us, and by "us", I mean most of the LGBT Scratch community.
Some of us are closeted and will stay closeted for a long time
We need a place like that thread, IMO~

That's why there are two links in the first post. You can be open there.  wink 

A lot of people have been substituting the Scratch Forums as some kind of safe haven place to talk almost any topic, but as we've seen before, some topics don't really bode too well, no matter how much moderation there is. This can be easily seen with the discouragement of religious and political topics in the past (if the multiple closing of the LGBT related threads isn't an indicator of such a forum issue).

To maintain such a place for talking about edgy topics on a website with a lot of kids and a lot of people who have different backgrounds, you'll need a lot of moderators who have knowledge of being a counselor, mentor, teacher, etc. and few (if any!) have that. That's why there's link in the first post better suited to talking about these things (much like how using a debate forum instead of the Scratch Forums is more encouraged if someone wants to start off a debate an edgy topic of politics of religion).

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#37 2012-01-02 10:31:23

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.

It's against my religion and my personal opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#38 2012-01-02 12:05:13

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.

While I respect you and your religion, I will tell you that it helps in general to be accepting of people different than you.  That includes LGBT people.

#39 2012-01-02 12:27:39

imnotbob
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

While I respect you and your religion, I will tell you that it helps in general to be accepting of people different than you.  That includes LGBT people.

This. I'm fine with it being against your religion--in all honesty, it's against mine, too. That's why I don't tell my family.

#40 2012-01-02 12:30:41

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

SJRCS_011 wrote:

This. I'm fine with it being against your religion--in all honesty, it's against mine, too. That's why I don't tell my family.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I guess.
I just prefer to stick with mine.
I do accept that people like you exist, though.  I just prefer not to dwell on it.

Last edited by SJRCS_011 (2012-01-02 12:32:02)

Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#41 2012-01-02 12:50:55

imnotbob
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I guess.
I just prefer to stick with mine.
I do accept that people like you exist, though.  I just prefer not to dwell on it.

We do.

You don't have to dwell on it. We wish acceptance-- aren't straight people accepted? LGBT people aren't, and we're all the same aren't we?  smile

#42 2012-01-02 13:15:02

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Alas, this topic has shifted away from the announcement of forum threads concerning sexual orientation being forbidden to sexual orientation itself; basically, the thread has turned into what it told itself it couldn't be.  smile

So, please, back on topic.  smile

#43 2012-01-02 13:53:42

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

Sorry about that.
Anyway, I'm relieved.

#44 2012-01-03 12:41:15

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

Exactly. I honestly don't see the point.

I'm sorry, Scratch, but you have let me down... those threads are like an outlet for us. Some LGBT people can not talk to others and need a place to do so...

Same. The discussion was not THAT bad, if you exclude the people that say either:

'LGBT is stupid/unnatural/why is this on Scratch hohohoh'
'Why do we need this? It's inappropriate.
or
'Ew you kiss other girls ewew cootiessss!!!!11!1'

I really think this was a bad move, ST. Sorry. You're making it look like LGBT is inappropriate and alienating people in that group. Just my opinion, I stress.
At least it was a good debate rather than 'I just got Minecraft'. -.-
People have a right to self expression and it helps people get to know each other better.
Sexuality is no less important/personal than favourite band; or eye colour.

Just saying.

Offending strangers since 2010.

#45 2012-01-03 13:18:32

imsosuperswell1
Scratcher

Dude, thank you. I got bashed for being "considered" homophobic and now I am free of bashing. You really are fixing things up. Its time for me to become more active again.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34y3brb.png

#46 2012-01-03 13:37:16

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

Exactly. I honestly don't see the point.

I'm sorry, Scratch, but you have let me down... those threads are like an outlet for us. Some LGBT people can not talk to others and need a place to do so...

Same. The discussion was not THAT bad, if you exclude the people that say either:

'LGBT is stupid/unnatural/why is this on Scratch hohohoh'
'Why do we need this? It's inappropriate.
or
'Ew you kiss other girls ewew cootiessss!!!!11!1'

I really think this was a bad move, ST. Sorry. You're making it look like LGBT is inappropriate and alienating people in that group. Just my opinion, I stress...

How can it necessarily be alienation when they state this comment in the first post?  hmm

Lightnin wrote:

We support who you are, and your desire to talk about LGBT-related topics. A lot of good can come from conversations about LGBT issues. But to make sure that such topics are dealt with in a sensitive and constructive way, it takes a lot of time and energy to moderate the discussion appropriately. Unfortunately, we don’t feel we’re able to do that in the Scratch Forums.

And besides, those who are part of the LGBT group can still post in the forums, maybe even upload a project giving info about LGBT.  wink

I stressed this in my earlier post, but just to reiterate, it's more of an issue that the Scratch Forums hasn't been a good outlet for some topics, and especially on a site where there are a lot of younger kids, most would probably feel more comfortable talking about this (among some other topics) under some kind of guided supervision, on that the forums does not have (even after removing the trolls and the negativity from it). That's why in the first post redirects where people can talk about LGBT in a more guided and positive direction.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#47 2012-01-03 13:56:53

mattb777
Scratcher

I got bashed for "being a homophobe" too on that topic. I agree that users like PlutoIsHades and imnotbob were ACTUALLY discussing the topic without arguements, but others... were calling pretty much everyone a homophobe.

I'm back  big_smile

#48 2012-01-03 14:14:44

imnotbob
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

And besides, those who are part of the LGBT group can still post in the forums, maybe even upload a project giving info about LGBT.  wink

Hmm, maybe I will.
Many people do misunderstand it.

@mattbb: When I saw somebody I thought was homophobic, I just tried to ignore it. Of course it annoyed me, but I tried to discuss the topic.
Didn't you only say that they should change the "L" and "G" to "H"?

Last edited by imnotbob (2012-01-03 14:15:23)

#49 2012-01-03 15:21:07

mattb777
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hmm, maybe I will.

@mattbb: When I saw somebody I thought was homophobic, I just tried to ignore it. Of course it annoyed me, but I tried to discuss the topic.

Yes, actually. That's all I said.

I'm back  big_smile

#50 2012-01-03 15:24:08

imnotbobtest1
New Scratcher

mattb777 wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hmm, maybe I will.

Yes, actually. That's all I said.

I don't see anything homophobic about that.

Board footer