This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-12-31 10:17:01

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Forum threads about sexual orientation

The Scratch website is a community for everyone, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.

We support who you are, and your desire to talk about LGBT-related topics. A lot of good can come from conversations about LGBT issues. But to make sure that such topics are dealt with in a sensitive and constructive way, it takes a lot of time and energy to moderate the discussion appropriately. Unfortunately, we don’t feel we’re able to do that in the Scratch Forums.

So if you would like to discuss these topics, we encourage you to seek out other forums. Here are some links to good resources:

http://www.trevorspace.org/
http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#2 2011-12-31 10:24:52

stevetheipad
Scratcher

Re: Forum threads about sexual orientation

I was waiting for this topic to come!

Good, this will clear out lots of confusion in the forums.

http://i.imgur.com/0x8ia.jpg
gone

#3 2011-12-31 10:32:28

coolstuff
Community Moderator

This is most certainly a well-needed decision!  smile

#4 2011-12-31 10:37:40

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

Thanks, Lightnin.
I always avoided those topics because I felt uncomfortable around them, so I'm relieved that this came along.

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#5 2011-12-31 10:40:12

shadow_7283
Scratcher

Good decision. Despite the fuss surrounding the recent forum policy changes, I'm just glad the Scratch Team has such an active role in the community that they are aware of these issues!  smile

Last edited by shadow_7283 (2011-12-31 10:40:47)

#6 2011-12-31 12:05:50

rabbit1131
Scratcher

Thanks ST!
I like the way you dealt with it.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#7 2011-12-31 12:14:19

sanddude
Scratcher

This is basically starting this whole thing up again.

http://www.bronyland.com/images/quiz/banner_rainbowdash.jpg

#8 2011-12-31 12:21:18

coolstuff
Community Moderator

sanddude wrote:

This is basically starting this whole thing up again.

How do you mean?

#9 2011-12-31 12:24:56

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

I don't understand why this is any worse to moderate than the other huge topics.

Minecraft, Redwall, and Cyberchase fan, and PROUD.

#10 2011-12-31 12:32:39

SilverDomination
Scratcher

stevetheipad wrote:

I was waiting for this topic to come!

Same here!
*Sent from my 3ds*

Sooner or Later. Or sooner. Not much, except for a lot. In a way. But it will come no matter what.

#11 2011-12-31 12:48:26

coolstuff
Community Moderator

PlutoIsHades wrote:

I don't understand why this is any worse to moderate than the other huge topics.

If you were a moderator, you'd understand. The idea is that this is a very controversial issue: many people are extremely homophobic and cringe at the idea; others are very accepting of the thought. Those two groups don't blend well together at all: for example, if Jim said "I hate gay people!" John, who might happen to support gay rights, would be terribly offended!

And because this particular topic has a very high likelihood of spawning such remarks, we've decided it's not within our capabilities to moderate it.

This is the same reason we banned political topics.

#12 2011-12-31 17:30:07

imnotbob
Scratcher

I honestly think we are capable of handling an LGBT topic. I do understand that some people are unaccepting, but honestly, a few people should not be enough of a reason to make LGBT topics out of the question. The Scratch community is full of LGBT people, and there should be a topic where we can talk about it. It's not spam or anything. Sometimes we need a place to talk about it-- the topic is sort of like an...outlet of sorts for us.

We can. The youngest people we have on the forums are 8, right? Even if their parents don't accept LGBT people, it won't be a problem if they see a topic. And isn't it their choice if the agree or not?

But, since hope is lost of this being un-banned from the forums...
I made a forum.
I sent an e-mail asking for the ST to accept [removed - all forums must first establish themselves as per these guidelines].
It is old, I was afraid to ask the ST to accept it, though.

Last edited by Lightnin (2011-12-31 20:07:32)

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#13 2011-12-31 17:32:21

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

I honestly think we are capable of handling an LGBT topic. I do understand that some people are unaccepting, but honestly, a few people should not be enough of a reason to make LGBT topics out of the question. The Scratch community is full of LGBT people, and there should be a topic where we can talk about it. It's not spam or anything. Sometimes we need a place to talk about it-- the topic is sort of like an...outlet of sorts for us.

We can. The youngest people we have on the forums are 8, right? Even if their parents don't accept LGBT people, it won't be a problem if they see a topic. And isn't it their choice if the agree or not?

I made a forum.
I sent an e-mail asking for the ST to accept [link removed - all forums must first establish themselves as per these guidelines].

+infinity and beyond

Last edited by Paddle2See (2012-01-02 11:18:51)

#14 2011-12-31 18:44:30

Daroach1
Scratcher

PlutoIsHades wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

I made a forum.
I sent an e-mail asking for the ST to accept [link removed - all forums must first establish themselves as per these guidelines].

+infinity and beyond

+EEEEEVEEEEERRRRYYYTHIIING!!!!

Last edited by Paddle2See (2012-01-02 11:19:24)

http://i47.tinypic.com/v83mhl.png

#15 2011-12-31 20:27:04

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

IMO, removing this because it's a controversial issue is like removing Minecraft threads because it includes fighting, and fighting in video games is a controversial issue.

#16 2011-12-31 23:43:17

imnotbob
Scratcher

Exactly. I honestly don't see the point.

I'm sorry, Scratch, but you have let me down... those threads are like an outlet for us. Some LGBT people can not talk to others and need a place to do so...

#17 2011-12-31 23:54:50

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

I made a forum.
I sent an e-mail asking for the ST to accept [removed - all forums must first establish themselves as per these guidelines].

you guys proved that you couldn't responsibly talk about lgbt without flaming and being mean and stuff so yeah

#18 2012-01-01 00:43:01

imnotbob
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

I made a forum.

you guys proved that you couldn't responsibly talk about lgbt without flaming and being mean and stuff so yeah

I honestly have no hope anymore. We won't get the right to post topics back--not for a while, if we ever do.

#19 2012-01-01 01:23:11

TVflea
Scratcher

It's one topic, THAT'S IT!

"oh no, my helicopter topic got taken down, i'm going to go wither away in this corner"

god, some people take things way too seriously.

-iNetMaster-'s not dead, get used to it. ! big_smile .
http://is.gd/YrQzXX

#20 2012-01-01 01:26:27

imnotbob
Scratcher

It's an outlet for us.
Most of us, at least.
Did you just go "tl;dr" when you saw my post?

#21 2012-01-01 01:35:24

TVflea
Scratcher

imnotbob wrote:

It's an outlet for us.
Most of us, at least.

"us"?

Gay people are still people, the same as me and some other straight person.

And yeah, your first post was kinda long.

-iNetMaster-'s not dead, get used to it. ! big_smile .
http://is.gd/YrQzXX

#22 2012-01-01 06:44:58

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

I made a forum.

The majority of us weren't flaming.  The majority of us enjoyed having a topic on this.  A few users weren't being so nice and flaming.  Don't lump us all in with the flamers.

#23 2012-01-01 07:07:38

PlutoIsHades
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

PlutoIsHades wrote:

If you were a moderator, you'd understand. The idea is that this is a very controversial issue: many people are extremely homophobic and cringe at the idea; others are very accepting of the thought. Those two groups don't blend well together at all: for example, if Jim said "I hate gay people!" John, who might happen to support gay rights, would be terribly offended!

And because this particular topic has a very high likelihood of spawning such remarks, we've decided it's not within our capabilities to moderate it.

This is the same reason we banned political topics.

But the same thing, people getting massively offended, could happen from so many other topics too.

#24 2012-01-01 10:38:29

imnotbob
Scratcher

TVflea wrote:

imnotbob wrote:

It's an outlet for us.
Most of us, at least.

"us"?

Gay people are still people, the same as me and some other straight person.

And yeah, your first post was kinda long.

"Us" being LGBT people (mainly the ones on Scratch).

It explains things a bit more.

#25 2012-01-01 12:53:51

wolvesstar97
Scratcher

SJRCS_011 wrote:

Thanks, Lightnin.
I always avoided those topics because I felt uncomfortable around them, so I'm relieved that this came along.

+1.

I actually flagged it saying that I didnt think there has to be a topic like this on Scratch.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551365/psyko.png

Board footer