This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#226 2013-04-24 18:00:07

haxcharsol
Scratcher

Re: Harry Potter Discussion Thread

scimonster wrote:

cartooncreator wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Yeah, you remember correctly. You really know this stuff insideout!

Which is the only book where Sirius isn't mentioned?

Uh, maybe Chamber of Secrets?

Yes!

I don't have anything else right now.  tongue

He was mentioned in Sorcerer's Stone?

Goodbye 1.4.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#227 2013-04-24 23:45:14

DIY
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

DIY wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Lol, you shouldn't of asked that one, I just put down Harry Potter 4 to type this. xD

40 points!

EDIT: Ok, I didn't JUST put it down, but it's right next to me and I was reading it.

Yeah, I think that's right. I would go for forty as well.

iirc, Harry and Cedric got 45 and 47 respectively? The latter may be a bit more though.

Yeah, you remember correctly. You really know this stuff insideout!

Which is the only book where Sirius isn't mentioned?

Chamber of Secrets that is; Hagrid took the bike from Sirius moments before the latter got arrested. Cannot simply let that one slip!  tongue

w00t, I'm on a roll...  big_smile

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#228 2013-04-25 04:38:23

scimonster
Community Moderator

haxcharsol wrote:

scimonster wrote:

cartooncreator wrote:

Uh, maybe Chamber of Secrets?

Yes!

I don't have anything else right now.  tongue

He was mentioned in Sorcerer's Stone?

DIY pointed it out. Anyone want to check if i remember the exact quote? "Borrowed it, sir, from young Sirius Black."

What are the three Peveral brothers' names?

#229 2013-04-25 05:05:12

veggieman
Scratcher

assuming you mean Peverell, Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus ^o^

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#230 2013-04-25 05:39:16

DIY
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

DIY pointed it out. Anyone want to check if i remember the exact quote? "Borrowed it, sir, from young Sirius Black."

What are the three Peveral brothers' names?

Antioch, Cadmus and Ignotus in order of age. They possessed the Elder Wand, Resurrection Stone and Invisibility Cloak respectively.

A bit of an easier one, that.  tongue

#231 2013-04-25 11:43:22

scimonster
Community Moderator

Yeah. Mispelling on my part.  tongue

I'm not even gonna bother asking this one, because i'm sure DIY will get it in about 2 seconds.  tongue
What's the worst Christmas present  the Dursleys gave Harry, and which year?

A bit harder, i hope.
How many generations behind Harry was Phineas Nigellus Black? (I don't have the book open so i'm not 100% sure of the spelling.)

#232 2013-04-25 12:08:09

Nomolos
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

I'm not even gonna bother asking this one, because i'm sure DIY will get it in about 2 seconds.  tongue

A bit harder, i hope.
How many generations behind Harry was Phineas Nigellus Black? (I don't have the book open so i'm not 100% sure of the spelling.)

It was book three, I know that much, but I forgot what it was.

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#233 2013-04-25 12:14:13

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

They gave him an old sock in one, and some british money in another

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#234 2013-04-25 12:17:07

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

mythbusteranimator wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

british money is a terrible present for a person living in britain, i agree

goodby scrat on pont fore

#235 2013-04-25 13:13:21

DIY
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

I distinctly remember them giving him a toothpick which was absolutely... well, awful.  tongue

...Along with that dreadful note saying about staying at Hogwarts during summer, however much Harry would have, um, enjoyed it. Oh, and that was in CoS.

That would probably be the worst one, because the sock they gave him in another year was a better present imo, lol.

As for the generations question, JKR does mention Phineas is the oldest known Black in their genealogy (anyone saw the documentary just after HP7?). After him, the Bulstrodes were introduced into the family iirc (Millicent Bulstrode is a descendant and is in Harry's class). Then came the Potters into the family scene and also Longbottoms were introduced here... (?)

Anyway, I recall a whole chain of Blacks in the generation before Sirius (and the Malfoys), and Harry was Jame's son, so he would classify as belonging to the generation after Padfoot... Which means, Phineas was five generations behind Harry? Or maybe four, if I'm wrong... But I'll go with what I evaluated for now and say five. Tough one indeed...

Sorry about speaking out my thoughts - sounds darn complicated, I know, but you get how tough family mapping in HP is, seeing as so many families are related (Potters, Blacks, Malfoys, Bulstrodes, Longbottoms, etc., etc., etc...). xD

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-25 13:15:39)

#236 2013-04-25 13:15:55

cartooncreator
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

I distinctly remember them giving him a toothpick which was absolutely... well, awful.  tongue

That would probably be the worst one, because the sock they gave him in another year was a better present imo, lol.

As for the generations question, JKR does mention Phineas is the oldest known Black in their genealogy (anyone saw the documentary just after HP7?). After him, the Bulstrodes were introduced into the family iirc (Millicent Bulstrode is a descendant and is in Harry's class). Then came the Potters into the family scene and also Longbottoms were introduced here... (?)

Anyway, I recall a whole chain of Blacks in the generation before Sirius (and the Malfoys), and Harry was Jame's son, so he would classify as belonging to the generation after Padfoot... Which means, Phineas was five generations behind Harry? Or maybe four, if I'm wrong... But I'll go with what I evaluated for now and say five. Tough one indeed...

Sorry about speaking out my thoughts - sounds darn complicated, I know, but you get how tough family mapping in HP is, seeing as so many families are related (Potters, Blacks, Malfoys, Bulstrodes, Longbottoms, etc., etc., etc...). xD

You should be a HP professor. XD

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#237 2013-04-25 13:18:36

DIY
Scratcher

cartooncreator wrote:

DIY wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

You should be a HP professor. XD

xDD

"I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind…. At these times… I use the Pensieve. One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one’s mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one’s leisure." -Albus Dumbledore

First bit of the quote sums me up perfectly - only if I had a Pensieve.  wink

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-25 13:22:37)

#238 2013-04-25 13:25:01

Nomolos
Scratcher

Ooh, I got one. What were the objects that Tom Riddle stole as a kid in the Orphanage?

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#239 2013-04-25 14:09:18

scimonster
Community Moderator

"...a single tissue, an all time low." -Goblet of Fire.

Let's see... He stole some money, keychains, and i don't remember.

#240 2013-04-25 14:12:37

cartooncreator
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

Ooh, I got one. What were the objects that Tom Riddle stole as a kid in the Orphanage?

Oooh - let's see if I can remember!

Uh, I'm pretty sure there was a yo-yo.. and a mouth organ or something..

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#241 2013-04-25 14:24:26

scimonster
Community Moderator

cartooncreator wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Oooh - let's see if I can remember!

Uh, I'm pretty sure there was a yo-yo.. and a mouth organ or something..

Yeah, i think so too.

#242 2013-04-25 18:06:24

sparky2008123
Scratcher

genderdysmorphia wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

British money is useless in the wizarding world, unless you give it to Mr Weasley.

Where can I find the best book ever?
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mavjipQrj91rrpsd7.gif

#243 2013-04-25 18:08:32

sparky2008123
Scratcher

Not sure if i already posted this before but: Did anyone know that the snake Harry released from the zoo in the Sorcerer's Stone was Nagini, Voldemort's snake?

Last edited by sparky2008123 (2013-04-25 18:08:46)

#244 2013-04-25 18:22:05

soupoftomato
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

...Along with that dreadful note saying about staying at Hogwarts during summer, however much Harry would have, um, enjoyed it. Oh, and that was in CoS.

I distinctly remember thinking it was unfair that Harry couldn't stay at Hogwarts all summer so it wasn't that bad.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#245 2013-04-25 20:57:49

DIY
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

DIY wrote:

scimonster wrote:

A bit harder, i hope.

I distinctly remember thinking it was unfair that Harry couldn't stay at Hogwarts all summer so it wasn't that bad.

Exactly why I said Harry would have enjoyed it.

About the tissue, hmm yeah I suppose because of the way it was phrased, although the note kinda rubbed it in worse.

How was the Phineas Nigellus answer?  smile

#246 2013-04-25 22:00:13

sparky2008123
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

DIY wrote:

Exactly why I said Harry would have enjoyed it.

About the tissue, hmm yeah I suppose because of the way it was phrased, although the note kinda rubbed it in worse.

How was the Phineas Nigellus answer?  smile

WARNING, SPOILER ALERT, IF YOU'VE READ ALL OF THE BOOKS OR AT LEAST SEVEN THEN PROCEED BY PULLING YOUR CURSOR ACROSS THIS POST
And even after all they've done to him, Harry warns them about the Death Eaters and Voldy so they can leave the house before they all die.
You know, cause the Death Eaters think Harry would go save the Dursleys if they were held hostage. Though, despite them being so mean I think he MIGHT try and save them, if he could....

#247 2013-04-26 04:38:17

scimonster
Community Moderator

sparky2008123 wrote:

Not sure if i already posted this before but: Did anyone know that the snake Harry released from the zoo in the Sorcerer's Stone was Nagini, Voldemort's snake?

Really? Where does it say so?

@DIY: I think it was at least 4 greats, which would make him 8 generations behind Harry.

#248 2013-04-26 08:22:32

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

sparky2008123 wrote:

genderdysmorphia wrote:

British money is useless in the wizarding world, unless you give it to Mr Weasley.

he gave it to ron

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#249 2013-04-26 08:39:16

DIY
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

sparky2008123 wrote:

Really? Where does it say so?

@DIY: I think it was at least 4 greats, which would make him 8 generations behind Harry.

Oh ok. Was never sure of that one! Could you cite the source?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Harry would have saved the Dursleys, being the brave and selfless guy he is. He wouldn't have let them die for him I'm sure.

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-26 08:44:49)

#250 2013-04-26 11:03:24

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

sparky2008123 wrote:

genderdysmorphia wrote:

he's living in the muggle world in the summer (also im pretty sure that gringott's would have a stock exchange, or how would hermione get anything?)

goodby scrat on pont fore

Board footer