This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#176 2012-02-27 19:22:09

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

Re: Adding the images back in to your scratch forum experience

WindowsExplorer wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hey rookwood, I saw your report for a title change to "Adding the images back in to your scratch forum experience - Use at own risk", but it's way too long to fit. You'll need to shorten it. ^^;

I don't think the "use at your own risk" part is required, because when images were here, there were no warnings required.

Moderators cannot see the blocked images, so they cannot block them. If you use the greasemonkey script, then you might see bad things that were put up and then blocked by the website filters. Assuming this script works, then the whole image blocking thing was useless anyway.  Any person who needs the block library does not have their forum experience properly moderated.  That is not good.

Last edited by LiquidMetal (2012-02-27 19:32:06)

#177 2012-02-28 03:26:18

roijac
Scratcher

nice to see u back on at, liquid  smile

#178 2012-03-25 17:04:28

lights0123
Scratcher

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34791551/Photo%20Jul%2010%2C%209%2021%2049%20AM.png does this work?

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/6243ueu/Achievement++get%21/Use+MultiMC%21/mca.png

#179 2012-03-25 17:34:47

rookwood101
Scratcher

yes  smile

http://i.imgur.com/zeIZW.png

#180 2012-03-25 17:48:30

bobbybee
Scratcher

Do you have any experience installing antidote in GreaseKit (safari)?

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#181 2012-03-25 18:01:05

rookwood101
Scratcher

bobbybee wrote:

Do you have any experience installing antidote in GreaseKit (safari)?

No, sorry.  hmm

http://i.imgur.com/zeIZW.png

#182 2012-03-25 18:04:24

bobbybee
Scratcher

Alright.

#183 2012-04-12 19:03:52

Lightnin
Scratch Team

First off - this is pretty awesome in a lot of ways. We love to see examples of Scratchers hacking things to do cool stuff. I love that you guys just saw a need, and made a fix and then shared it.

However, I see upthread that some have raised concerns about the effects of this on moderation, and I want to mention some of my own.

* It can be problematic when the same page look radically different depending on who is viewing it. This is something we are careful of when designing the admin view of the site. If people aren't seeing the same things, things can get confusing real fast (even if they know they might have different views). One mentions 'that video' and the other is like "whut video?"  In most cases it can be sorted out, but it contributes to a kind of confusion which is bad for the user experience.  "Whats on this page" becomes "Whats on this page if you don't have x " vs. "Whats on this page if you do have x" installed.

* Mods need to move fast and be able to check out if something is or isn't kosher pretty quickly. If there are two possible views of a page, then they will probably have to view pages twice - once in each of the states. It may not seem like it takes much time to enable / disable a script, but when you multiply that times all the posts / threads mods look at every day, it adds up quick.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#184 2012-04-12 19:04:29

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Oh and I forgot to mention, we're planning on turning images back on tomorrow.  smile

#185 2012-04-12 19:06:18

coolhogs
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Oh and I forgot to mention, we're planning on turning images back on tomorrow.  smile

YAY!!
LET'S ALL CELEBRATE!!!!!
smile

Get ready for domination of:  tongue

#186 2012-04-12 19:07:56

FreshStudios
Scratcher

Yes.. you are a life saver!

http://i43.tinypic.com/24ymnbn.png

#187 2012-04-12 19:08:38

bobbybee
Scratcher

FreshStudios wrote:

Yes.. you are a life saver!

Well, not quite...

#188 2012-04-13 06:24:45

joefarebrother
Scratcher

coolhogs wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

YAY!!
LET'S ALL CELEBRATE!!!!!
smile

smile  smile  smile  smile  [Excess smilies removed by moderator]

(oops my computer froze - too many smilies)

Last edited by Paddle2See (2012-04-13 08:47:30)

My latest project is called http://tinyurl.com/d2m8hne! It has http://tinyurl.com/d395ygk views, http://tinyurl.com/cnasmt7 love-its, and http://tinyurl.com/bwjy8xs comments.
http://tinyurl.com/756anbk   http://tinyurl.com/iplaychess

#189 2012-04-13 08:34:14

LS97
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

First off - this is pretty awesome in a lot of ways. We love to see examples of Scratchers hacking things to do cool stuff. I love that you guys just saw a need, and made a fix and then shared it.

However, I see upthread that some have raised concerns about the effects of this on moderation, and I want to mention some of my own.

* It can be problematic when the same page look radically different depending on who is viewing it. This is something we are careful of when designing the admin view of the site. If people aren't seeing the same things, things can get confusing real fast (even if they know they might have different views). One mentions 'that video' and the other is like "whut video?"  In most cases it can be sorted out, but it contributes to a kind of confusion which is bad for the user experience.  "Whats on this page" becomes "Whats on this page if you don't have x " vs. "Whats on this page if you do have x" installed.

* Mods need to move fast and be able to check out if something is or isn't kosher pretty quickly. If there are two possible views of a page, then they will probably have to view pages twice - once in each of the states. It may not seem like it takes much time to enable / disable a script, but when you multiply that times all the posts / threads mods look at every day, it adds up quick.

The first issue you have raised is very true, as we have already experienced lately. Of course, being part of the Advanced Topics community, we found a fix for it right away, and so came the signature images that told you whether you needed antidote. Of course nobody is ever sure of what the user really can see, and mods need to have every extension installed to see the potential problems.

If images are to return today, we can update our signatures and politely ask users to uninstall antidote (or update to a version where there is no img tag converting). I just want to raise a point though -- even if users keep Antidote, with your new system images that are not allowed by your white-list will not show up in Antidote either, because of how the system has been coded.

#190 2012-04-13 08:37:37

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

joefarebrother wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

YAY!!
LET'S ALL CELEBRATE!!!!!
smile

spam

You probably shouldn't spam all those smileys. A couple are fine, but that was well over 200.  tongue

#191 2012-04-13 10:06:25

Squawkers13
Scratcher

joefarebrother wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

YAY!!
LET'S ALL CELEBRATE!!!!!
smile

HAHAHA!!!!

http://pekkit.net/banners/pekkit.png

#192 2012-04-13 12:02:52

schusteralex2
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Yes  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uj37ds.gif

#193 2012-04-13 15:46:29

Lightnin
Scratch Team

LS97 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

The first issue you have raised is very true, as we have already experienced lately. Of course, being part of the Advanced Topics community, we found a fix for it right away, and so came the signature images that told you whether you needed antidote. Of course nobody is ever sure of what the user really can see, and mods need to have every extension installed to see the potential problems.

If images are to return today, we can update our signatures and politely ask users to uninstall antidote (or update to a version where there is no img tag converting).

Yep, they're on again.  smile  Sorry it took us a while.

Thanks for being understanding about this. I think it would be good if antidote no longer parsed img tags, for the reasons described above. But inclusion of youtube videos can also be problematic. Creating a new requirement that forum mods and ST install and use this extension (and all future extensions?)  when browsing the forums doesn't seem like a good solution. The problem of having two or more possible views of the same page will likely make things complicated / confusing very quickly, even if the mod has the properly updated extensions installed.

Let me propose an alternative, and see what you all think.
Make antidote "invite only" - so that only certain, trusted / well known / whitelisted Scratchers can install it.  Use it as a way to design, test, and refine potential features - like embedding Scratch projects in posts -  that we could consider integrating with the Scratch forums for everyone's use. But keep the experimentation to clearly defined threads.

Now, I can't make any promises that features / designs tested in this way will make it into the forums for Scratch 2.0 (the Scratch Team has a very thorough design review process, with lots of people involved). But it certainly seems like a good way to experiment and demo potential features for forums 2.0. ( And by the way, here's a link to the platform / code we'll be building on: http://djangobb.org/ )

So - thoughts?

#194 2012-04-13 15:55:01

bobbybee
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

LS97 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

If images are to return today, we can update our signatures and politely ask users to uninstall antidote (or update to a version where there is no img tag converting).

Thanks for being understanding about this. I think it would be good if antidote no longer parsed img tags, for the reasons described above. But inclusion of youtube videos can also be problematic. Creating a new requirement that forum mods and ST install and use this extension (and all future extensions?)  when browsing the forums doesn't seem like a good solution. The problem of having two or more possible views of the same page will likely make things complicated / confusing very quickly, even if the mod has the properly updated extensions installed.

Make antidote "invite only" - so that only certain, trusted / well known / whitelisted Scratchers can install it.  Use it as a way to design, test, and refine potential features - like embedding Scratch projects in posts -  that we could consider integrating with the Scratch forums for everyone's use. But keep the experimentation to clearly defined threads.

Now, I can't make any promises that features / designs tested in this way will make it into the forums for Scratch 2.0 (the Scratch Team has a very thorough design review process, with lots of people involved). But it certainly seems like a good way to experiment and demo potential features for forums 2.0. ( And by the way, here's a link to the platform / code we'll be building on: http://djangobb.org/ )

So - thoughts?

Maybe you could make a tag, no parse. This way, non-Antidote people won't see everything. And maybe if a mod is logged in, there is a checkbox for whether no-parse tags will be in the page (so they can view the original and parsed versions)

#195 2012-04-14 15:46:53

roijac
Scratcher

pls ignore this, im testing some way to remove tags inside of code elements...

Code:

[youtube]oHg5SJYRHA0[/youtube]
[scratch=flash]roijac/1864583[/scratch]

[youtube]oHg5SJYRHA0[/youtube]
[scratch=flash]roijac/1864583[/scratch]

some text

somebody wrote:

some text

Last edited by roijac (2012-04-16 13:32:12)

#196 2012-04-14 22:41:12

LiquidMetal
Scratcher

roijac wrote:

nice to see u back on at, liquid  smile

Thanks, but I'm gone again till the summer. :p See you then!

Lightnin wrote:

The thing is lots of people already have the script, and it might be hard to get them all to uninstall it if they like the youtube feature.

On the other hand, the new installations of the script can specifically be applied to only one forum thread.

I think it is a good idea.

Last edited by LiquidMetal (2012-04-14 22:42:26)

#197 2012-04-15 08:02:20

LS97
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

So - thoughts?

I will discuss the issue with rookwood101 and I'm sure he will agree to remove Antidote from the "public".

This experimental version of Antidote could certainly turn out to be a productive way of trying out new features for the 2.0 forums. I will definitely be trying this out with rookwood (I already have some ideas  smile  ) and we'll be sure to contact the team if we come up with anything interesting!

#198 2012-04-15 16:39:08

MoreGamesNow
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

So - thoughts?

Would they be testing it for bugs, or how well the changes help/hurt the forums?

Edit: and how big of a group are you thinking of?

Last edited by MoreGamesNow (2012-04-15 16:40:06)

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/218929/rubiks-cube-animated-rotating.gif
"Cogito ergo sum" --  I think, therefore I am

#199 2012-04-15 18:40:26

PullJosh
Scratcher

Squawkers13 wrote:

joefarebrother wrote:

coolhogs wrote:

YAY!!
LET'S ALL CELEBRATE!!!!!
smile

HAHAHA!!!!

... It really was. It says last edited by paddle2see...

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=text&string=I'm_on_vacation!&xpos=155&ypos=90&font_size=30&bgimage=http://imageshack.us/a/img339/7215/sspeechsigapiforwords.png

#200 2012-04-16 21:33:59

MoreGamesNow
Scratcher

So, after reading Lightnin's request, I totally forgot that I had antidote installed, and didn't remove it xD.  Removed now, but seriously, my brain must of been off when I was reading that.

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/218929/rubiks-cube-animated-rotating.gif
"Cogito ergo sum" --  I think, therefore I am

Board footer