This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2011-12-29 12:08:37

gbear605
Scratcher

Re: Image tags disabled

Paddle2See wrote:

sanddude wrote:

So we're punishing everybody for the actions a few, aren't we.

Just freaking pointless, asinine, and ridiculous.

Sadly, that is often the case.  A single fanatic tries to blow up a plane with bombs in the soles of his shoes...and now millions of people have to take their shoes off to be x-rayed at the airport.  The balance between security and freedom is always a tricky thing. 

Unfortunately, we feel that we need to take this action at this time to protect our community - and we understand that it is not a popular move.  However, we ask that you voice your concerns politely.

The problem is, this is what the troller wants.

Yeah, I'm mostly inactive.  I check in once in a while though.  If you want to contact me, I have a contact form at my website, http://escratch.org

#52 2011-12-29 12:13:39

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

agscratcher wrote:

You've never answered the biggest question in this thread.

Is it permanent?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#53 2011-12-29 12:24:38

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

agscratcher wrote:

Is it permanent?

Is anything really permanent?  In a few billion years, the sun may go out.

But on a more human scale, I can't say whether this is a permanent policy change or not.  I expect it will be in place until we have better ways of dealing with the concerns.  And, no, I don't know when that will be.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#54 2011-12-29 12:29:21

TRocket
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

agscratcher wrote:

Is it permanent?

But on a more human scale, I can't say whether this is a permanent policy change or not.  I expect it will be in place until we have better ways of dealing with the concerns.  And, no, I don't know when that will be.

could you just disable images in misc?

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

#55 2011-12-29 12:31:55

Daroach1
Scratcher

TRocket wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

could you just disable images in misc?

That's where images are needed mossssst. Oh, and unless the forums can find a plug in for that then it's impossible.

http://i47.tinypic.com/v83mhl.png

#56 2011-12-29 13:18:59

scimonster
Community Moderator

gbear605 wrote:

I'll suggest moving the block library to the wiki, to the block library team.

We were trying to move to a new website (blocks.scratchr.org, given by the ST), but development there is going slowly. Only Sparks has FTP access, and there are MySQL database problems.  sad

Too bad that it has to be disabled. How long will this last? I'm assuming at least a week.

#57 2011-12-29 13:30:03

roijac
Scratcher

YY   YY    UU   UU      NN     NN  OOOOO
YY   YY    UU   UU      NNN   NN OO   OO
YYYYY     UU   UU      NN N NN OO   OO
  YYY       UU   UU      NN  NNN OO   OO     
  YYY       UUUUU       NN   NN  OOOOO

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH#@@@@@@@@@@@@#BHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH#@@@Bi,○○○○○○○.;iH@@@MBHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH@@H:○○○○○○○,○○○○○○○○○r5@@@MHBHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAM@h○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○.○.X○○○○○X@@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHB@○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○:○i○::○○○○r@@HBHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@:○○○○○○○○○○○○○,.○:○○.;:○.:○○○○○M@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@B○○○○○○○○○○○○○::;rSB5○○si○○○○○○○○h@BHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@○○○○○○○○○○○○○rr@A○,:@@.,i.XAG,○○○○H@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@5○○○○○○○○○○○○○,○@A○.○2@:○:2@r;rr:○○○@@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@○○○○○○○○○○○○○○,r;:..,.○:○::s;○@@:○○○i@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@A○○○○○○○○○○○○○:r○.;;;,○○○○○○rr○;:○○○○○@MAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@5○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○;:.○,#G5.○○5○○○○○○○○@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@X○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○2&rr2r.;3○○○○○○○@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA@h○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○i○.r.○○○r○○○○○○○@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH@@○○○○○○○,○○..○○○○○○○○;;,:○#G5X,○○○○○○,@BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH#@○○○○○○○,○○○○○○,,○○○○r@@5.SiA@○○○○○○○h@AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHB@s○○○○○○○○○○○○.○○○○○○;r.;r29○A2○○○○○○@@AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM@@○○○○○○○○○,;○○○○○○○○A9@Hr;s:A,○○○○○,@MHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHB#@@○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○,;5@h5M&5r.○○○○○@@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM#@@H:○○○○○○○○○○○○○○:.○○○○○○,○○○○○;@@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAA#@@;;BMS.○○○○○○○rr.S2r;rr;,,S○○○:@@@HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAM@#:○:○○○SBM2;.○r5;○:,○○○○○○○○r@h@@@#BHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA#@M:○○○;@s○○○.r2A@@Assr;,,..,;2#@@@@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA#@H,○○○○○○○M#.○○○○○○○○,:,9@@@@@@@@@#MBA#HH#AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH&@@○○○○○○○○○○○;@h○○○○○○○○○r@@@@@@#@HMAAAA#@@@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHA@H○○○○○○○○○○○○○○X@5○○○○○○2@@HM@@@@@@#AAM@#AAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHHAM@G○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○A@S293@@@###MAB@@@@@@#H&AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHHA@#,○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○,2:○@@BAAA&AAG&M#MBA&AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHH#2○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○X@BAAAAAAAAA&A&AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHMh○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○9@MHHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHB#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA
HHHHHHHHHM@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@MHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA

LL        EEEEEEE  TTTTTTT     UU   UU   SSSSS     PPPPPP   OOOOO   SSSSS  TTTTTTT
LL        EE            TTT         UU   UU   SS          PP   PP   OO   OO   SS         TTT
LL        EEEEE        TTT         UU   UU   SSSSS      PPPPPP  OO   OO   SSSSS    TTT       
LL        EE            TTT         UU   UU       SS      PP          OO   OO      SS     TTT
LLLLLLL EEEEEEE    TTT         UUUUU   SSSSS      PP           OOOOO   SSSSS    TTT

IIIII    MM    MM        AAA       GGGG     EEEEEEE  SSSSS
III    MMM  MMM     AAAAA     GG  GG   EE         SS
III   MM  MM MM    AA   AA     GG         EEEEE     SSSSS
III   MM         MM   AAAAAAA    GG   GG EE              SS
IIIII  MM           MM AA       AA  GGGGGG EEEEEEE  SSSSS

#58 2011-12-29 14:10:22

sanddude
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

sanddude wrote:

So we're punishing everybody for the actions a few, aren't we.

Just freaking pointless, asinine, and ridiculous.

Sadly, that is often the case.  A single fanatic tries to blow up a plane with bombs in the soles of his shoes...and now millions of people have to take their shoes off to be x-rayed at the airport.  The balance between security and freedom is always a tricky thing. 

Unfortunately, we feel that we need to take this action at this time to protect our community - and we understand that it is not a popular move.  However, we ask that you voice your concerns politely.

Blackdog100 wrote:

I hope this wasn't partially because I posted that gory image... I can't imagine it helped... Oh darn >.<

No, no.  It never entered the discussion  smile

I don't think Internet images are equal to bombs that killed thousands of people.

http://www.bronyland.com/images/quiz/banner_rainbowdash.jpg

#59 2011-12-29 14:28:41

agscratcher
Scratcher

The thing is, the troller (will not say who it is) wanted this to happen. We are all part of the troller's plan. Even us realizing this was part of the plan.

Since it's inevitable that we follow his plan, I might as well just post a picture of a rabbit with pancake on it's hea...oh wait, I can't. That was part of the plan too.

And as sanddude mentioned, really? Comparing the banning of [img] tags to a bomb that killed countless lives? You've got to be kidding me. It's not like one day we'll all turn evil and post gore everywhere. That'd just be wrong.

Seriously, this is an overreaction. You could've just banned the person (which you did) and kept it at that. Sure, you could've had a slight change in policy, but this is like some overprotective suburban mom is running the site. Next thing you know, you'll have to get permission to post projects. (don't get any ideas)

Maybe, as numerous people have said, there could be a safe net option for images. It'd look at the images tags on the website it originated from, then judge from there. It would allow people of all ages to enjoy Scratch.

tl;dr: Bulbasaur used Solarbeam

http://narwhaler.com/img/yu/5/no-barrel-i-insist-after-you-spiderman-yU5Ua7.jpg

#60 2011-12-29 14:39:17

Daroach1
Scratcher

agscratcher wrote:

The thing is, the troller (will not say who it is) wanted this to happen. We are all part of the troller's plan. Even us realizing this was part of the plan.

Since it's inevitable that we follow his plan, I might as well just post a picture of a rabbit with pancake on it's hea...oh wait, I can't. That was part of the plan too.

And as sanddude mentioned, really? Comparing the banning of [url]tags to a bomb that killed countless lives? You've got to be kidding me. It's not like one day we'll all turn evil and post gore everywhere. That'd just be wrong.

Seriously, this is an overreaction. You could've just banned the person (which you did) and kept it at that. Sure, you could've had a slight change in policy, but this is like some overprotective suburban mom is running the site. Next thing you know, you'll have to get permission to post projects. (don't get any ideas)

Maybe, as numerous people have said, there could be a safe net option for images. It'd look at the images tags on the website it originated from, then judge from there. It would allow people of all ages to enjoy Scratch.

tl;dr: Bulbasaur used Solarbeam

+1

@tl;dr

Empoleon used Metal Claw

http://i47.tinypic.com/v83mhl.png

#61 2011-12-29 14:52:57

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

agscratcher wrote:

And as sanddude mentioned, really? Comparing the banning of [url]tags to a bomb that killed countless lives? You've got to be kidding me. It's not like one day we'll all turn evil and post gore everywhere. That'd just be wrong.

This is, this is still kind of an all ages site; while an image doesn't kill hundreds of lives like a bomb does, the fact that the image is on a site that's indexed fairly frequently and is visited by people of all ages and all backgrounds means that the images still affected many people - in that aspect, the lives affected by them is much like a bomb.

I don't known if the plan to disable images was part of the troller's plan, but I'd imagine that the main goal was most definitely to affect hundreds of kids of the main site. And sadly, he/she did achieve that.  sad

The fact that this isn't the first time something like this has happened suggests we need a change in the security tactics on the website to try and keep the website safe for everyone while letting those who have no malicious intent to post content to the website. And just like last time this happened, the best option right now is to disable the image tags until we find a solution to the problem at hand.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#62 2011-12-29 14:58:18

MrSnuggleman
New Scratcher

i guess tthiss iss okayy fforr noww....

becaussee i couldnn'tt postt imagess anywayy....  sad

#63 2011-12-29 15:02:21

TVflea
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

I don't known if the plan to disable images was part of the troller's plan, but I'd imagine that the main goal was most definitely to affect hundreds of kids of the main site. And sadly, he/she did achieve that.  sad

[removed] wasn't a terrorist that hated scratch with a deep pasion  hmm

All he wanted to do was prove a point, with images, that were a little weird.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2011-12-29 15:40:55)

-iNetMaster-'s not dead, get used to it. ! big_smile .
http://is.gd/YrQzXX

#64 2011-12-29 15:29:30

scmb1
Scratch Team

Well, I'm a little bit sad, but I can see why it needed to be done.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#65 2011-12-29 15:54:02

MathWizz
Scratcher

Wait, is this permanent?  sad

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&amp;text=%20A%20signature!&amp;color=333333

#66 2011-12-29 15:58:32

agscratcher
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

Wait, is this permanent?  sad

While they say that they're "thinking it out", I honestly think it will stay this way.

http://narwhaler.com/img/yu/5/no-barrel-i-insist-after-you-spiderman-yU5Ua7.jpg

#67 2011-12-29 16:56:31

Luke121
Scratcher

And that's how the Scratch team killed the Miscellaneous Forum.

Really? REALLY!?

I'm not dissin' on the Scratch Team, but this is a terrible idea.

This is the INTERNET. This is a FORUM. Whenever you think of a forum, do you think "No creative sharing" or "no memes"? No, you think of people sharing their art, memes, and other visual media they have created or deemed worthy to share.

And I have one last thing before I depart: "Loophole."

Last edited by Luke121 (2011-12-29 17:06:22)

http://bit.ly/IlVuB5
Sorry PF, too lazy to make my own!  tongue

#68 2011-12-29 17:00:26

MrSnuggleman
New Scratcher

Luke121 wrote:

And that's how the Scratch team killed the Miscellaneous Forum.

Really? REALLY!?

I'm not dissin' on the Scratch Team, but this is a terrible idea.

This is the INTERNET. This is a FORUM. Whenever you think of a forum, do you think "No creative sharing" or "no memes"? No, you think of people sharing their art, memes, and other visual media they have created or deemed worthy to share.

Scratch Team, if you were trying to find a way to ostracize the majority of the Forum Dwellers in one fell swoop, you just succeeded. And very adeptly, I might add.

kkilledd? ttheyy jusstt dimmedd itt. nott tto bbe a jerkk or anythinngg, bbuttt 'kill' iss a littlee overr tthe ttopp. tto kkill itt, they'dd have tto ddelete Misc.

#69 2011-12-29 17:38:38

ethancomputermad
Scratcher

Maybe...
1) New Scratchers Cannot Use the [img] tag
2) The user must have made 50 posts before using the [img] tag
3) The users account must be 1 month old before using the [img] tag

http://i43.tinypic.com/16kzyao.jpg

#70 2011-12-29 17:45:26

ethancomputermad
Scratcher

Forum Help Page wrote:

If you want to display an image you can use the img tag.

No more.
EDIT:  mad

Last edited by ethancomputermad (2011-12-29 17:46:04)

http://i43.tinypic.com/16kzyao.jpg

#71 2011-12-29 18:03:19

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

lol   lol   lol

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

#72 2011-12-29 18:18:59

higejolly
Scratcher

Um... Aren't you the one who says "Don't feed the trolls"? You just fed the trolls. Big time. And on top of that, you pretty much killed Misc. I recommend you censor [img]and[/img] to [url]and[/url] respectively.

Last edited by higejolly (2011-12-29 18:27:35)

http://www.free-iqtest.net/images/badges2/l102.gif
Free-IQTest.net - IQ Test

#73 2011-12-29 18:24:55

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

maybe
you can post images
if youve got 500 posts
or more

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

#74 2011-12-29 18:29:12

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

higejolly wrote:

Um... Aren't you the one who says "Don't feed the trolls"? You just fed the trolls. Bug time. And on top of that, you pretty much killed Misc. I recommend you censor and to [url]and[/url] respectively.

New Scratcher already aren't permitted to post links and images on the forums. And the Miscellaneous forum is pretty much still there, there's no requirement that Miscellaneous needs images to stay.  hmm

Just like last time, disabling the IMG tags is a precautionary measure to prevent trolls with Scratcher accounts from posting bad images again; they'll likely be put back up when a good solution can be found.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#75 2011-12-29 19:04:05

CheckItNow12
Scratcher

Is this going to be permanent?

'Cause If I will, I'll troll attack the forums [JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]big_smile

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47/NicolBolas_Alara/Doctor%20Who/raincry.gif

Board footer