This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Scratch Chefs: Share Recipes and Learn About Cooking! Take Two!

#1 2011-12-27 08:52:00

wiimaster
Scratcher

Scratch Chefs: Share Recipes and Learn About Cooking! Take Two!

STARTING SUNDAY IS A SCRATCH CHEFS HOLIDAY: BBQ WEEK! IT WILL END ON NEXT SATURDAY.
All week, talk about everything barbaqued! What kind of barbeque do you use? What are your techniques? What are your favorite foods to grill? Post BBQ recipes!
To celebrate BBQ week, I will be posting the SEVEN WEEKS OF BBQ FOODS! Its like a countdown to the most popular BBQ foods.
Enjoy BBQ week, and bon appetit!

This is pretty much a project filled with recipes that YOU can add to!
I did this long ago, and it went really well, but people suddenly stopped. So here I am again.

So submit your CUSTOM MADE recipes for this!

There are rules:
-Follow the form! It won't be added if you don't fill in the info.
-Make it FOOD. If it isn't edible, or a 'recipe', then I won't add it EVER.
-Don't steal recipes! These are YOUR made up recipes, not recipes you like from a cook book. You can post recipes here from cookbooks, cooking shows, or cooking websites, but you must cite your sources and it still won't appear in the project. But you can post it just to show your fellow chefs.
-Please make it actual cooking. If it doesn't involve the oven, chopping, chilling, or frying etc, I won't consider it cooking.
-If it is too gross (and I don't mean in my opinion, I mean if you are actually making food with disgusting ingredients a typical chef would never use) I will not accept it.
-If it is too basic, I will not accept it. I typically allow easy recipes in, but if it is incredibly simple (for example, if you posted a recipe on how to make a bowl of cereal) I will not allow it.

For you recipe, I need this info:

Title:

Meal Type:
Breakfast, Appetizer, Soup, Salad, Side Dish, Sandwich, Pasta/Rice, Meat/Poultry, Fish/Seafood, Main Dish, Side Dish, Cake/Pastry, Dessert, Snack, Sauce/Spread/Dip or Drink.

Difficulty:
Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard, or Expert (I WILL CHANGE IF IT IS INCORRECT)

Author:
Your username.

Ingredients:
All the ingredients. Be specific with measurements, numbers, type and sizes.

Steps:
How to prepare the meal. MAKE SURE TO BE SPECIFIC AND CORRECT. DO NOT LEAVE OUT STEPS, YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE BURNING THEIR HOUSES DOWN.

Tags:
-'Spicy': The dish is fairly spicy.
-'Very Spicy': The dish is very spicy.
-'Contains Nuts': The dish has nuts in it. This means peanuts or any tree nut (eg almonds, walnuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts etc).
-'Vegetarian': If a dish is 'vegetarian', it doesn't just mean it has no meat. It needs to have a sufficient protein substitute (eg: tofu, nuts, beans) to make it equally as healthy as a meat dish would be. For example, tofu stir fry is considered a vegetarian dish, but a chocolate cake wouldn't. The chocolate cake has no meat, but that doesn't make it vegetarian.

Here is the project: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/wiimaster/2242599
You can still post a recipe even when it is uploaded, and your recipe will be added WITHIN A WEEK.

TOP RECIPES:
Chocolate Chimichangas (Szabo): 3 Votes
Cinnamon Hot Chocolate (Wiimaster): 3 Votes
Mushroom Lasagna (Wiimaster): 3 Votes
Potato Wedges (Rabbit1131): 2 Vote
Homemade Tortilla Chips (Bbbeb): 2 Vote
Smokin' Chipotle Salsa (Wiimaster): 2 Votes
Awesome Steak Sandwich (Wiimaster): 1 Votes
16 Cheese Lasagna (Bbbeb): 1 Votes
Easy Shepherds Pie (Throughthefire): 1 Votes
Breakfast Casserole (Wiimaster): 1 Vote
Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Hsmrocks9): 1 Vote
Ceviche (Bbbeb): 1 Vote
Berry French Toast (Wiimaster): 0 Votes
Honey Maple Syrup (Wiimaster): 0 Votes
Unnamed Drink (Jfmlove6): 0 Votes
Mountain Man Breakfast (Throughthefire): 0 Votes
Olive Cream Cheese (Wiimaster): 0 Votes

And this thread can be for submitting recipes or just discussing food in general! Converse with your fellow chefs, people!

Last edited by wiimaster (2012-01-08 08:22:05)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/wiimaster1/Wiimaster_zps107dca4c.gif

#2 2011-12-27 10:29:09

rabbit1131
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Chefs: Share Recipes and Learn About Cooking! Take Two!

I like the idea  big_smile
I'll post some of mine in a bit.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#3 2011-12-27 10:29:16

Szabo
Scratcher

Meal Type:
Dessert

Difficulty:
Easy (I'm not sure if because you need to fry it in oil, I should make it medium)

Author:
Szabo

Ingredients:
2 large Hershey's milk chocolate bars
2 10" flour tortillas
vegetable oil (for frying)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon*
1 serving of Szabo's chocolate sauce*
2 spoonfuls of vanillia ice cream*

*optional
Makes 2 Chocolate Chimichangas

Steps:
Split the Hershey's bar to make 2x4 and 1x4 rectangles. Place 2x4 just below the center of a tortilla and place 1x4 right on top of it. Fold bottom of tortilla up and over the candy bar just until it is partially covered (on the long side). Fold left and right sides of tortilla over; roll up, and place seam down on a plate. Repeat the procedure for other tortillas and freeze for 20 minutes. Pour oil in a large skillet making it about 3/4" deep and heat to about 375 degrees fahrenheit. (Recommended to ask for adult help!) Place 2 tortillas, seam side down, in hot oil, gently pressing with tongs for a few seconds to seal. Fry tortillas 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve with preferred toppings.

#4 2011-12-27 10:41:30

wiimaster
Scratcher

Szabo, I'm guessing you want me to call that Chocolate Chimichangas.

Updated.

Last edited by wiimaster (2011-12-27 10:59:09)

#5 2011-12-27 10:56:55

wiimaster
Scratcher

Added a voting system for the top recipes.

You can only vote once for each recipe, but you can vote for as many recipes as you want.

I'm voting for Peppermint Hot Chocolate, Cinnamon Hot Chocolate, Mushroom Lasagna, Breakfast Casserole, Smokin' Chipotle Salsa, Potato Wedges, and Chocolate Chimichangas.

Last edited by wiimaster (2011-12-28 15:47:19)

#6 2011-12-28 09:31:59

Szabo
Scratcher

Yes, please call it chocolate chimichangas. And for my vote:
My chimichangas
Cinnamon hot chocolate
Homemade tortilla chips
Ceviche
Smokin' chipotle salsa
Mushroom lasagna
That's all!

#7 2011-12-29 10:38:46

wiimaster
Scratcher

Szabo wrote:

Yes, please call it chocolate chimichangas. And for my vote:
My chimichangas
Cinnamon hot chocolate
Homemade tortilla chips
Ceviche
Smokin' chipotle salsa
Mushroom lasagna
That's all!

Done  smile

#8 2011-12-31 11:50:05

Szabo
Scratcher

I have two more recepies, but if you can hold back on adding them untill I finish the favorites part it would be easier.

Title: Chocolate Sauce

Meal Type: Sauce

Difficulty:
Beginner

Author:
Szabo

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons cornstartch
1 cup hot water
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Steps:
Stir everything together in a medium sized pot. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Enjoy with ice cream, fruits, or chocolate chimichangas!

Title: Grandma's Sour Cherry Coffe Cake

didn't know what to call it...

Meal Type: dessert

Difficulty:
Easy

Author:
Szabo

Ingredients:
4 eggs
250g margarine (2¼ sticks)
360g sugar (1.8 cups)
1 cup sour cream
400g flour (3½ cups)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1-2 jars (24 oz) of sour cherries (or other fruits, raisin, nuts, etc.)

Steps:
Beat eggs, softened margarine, sugar, and sour cream until mixed well. Stir in flour and baking powder. Grease or line with parchment paper a 11”× 17” baking sheet and pour in mixture. Put sour cherries (or other fruit) on top to cover pan (not touching but the more, the tastier). They will sink into the dough as it bakes. Bake in 350˚F oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 20-25 minutes). Cut into 2”× 2” squares and serve with powdered sugar.

#9 2011-12-31 11:52:40

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

-1 votes for
16 Cheese Lasagna (Bbbeb): 0 Votes

Save them don't kill them! D:

#10 2011-12-31 11:54:12

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

Cool! This sounds like a very fun idea!

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#11 2012-01-01 20:36:21

Dinoclor
Scratcher

Title: Omelet

Meal Type:
Breakfast, though you can also have them for lunch and dinner.

Difficulty:
Easy

Author:
Dinoclor

Ingredients:
2 eggs
Chopped mushrooms to taste (optional)
Chopped vegetables to taste(optional)
Grated cheese to taste (Highly recommended)
Salt and pepper to taste

Steps:
Prepare the vegetables and grate the cheese.
Crack the two eggs into a bowl and whisk them with a fork into an orangish-yellow liquid.
Put oil on a frying pan and let it heat up until it is very hot. I recommend putting a small piece of vegetable on it and waiting til it begins to cook.
Pour the eggs in. Make sure it isn't too thick, or it will burn.
Wait for it to begin to cook, then add the vegetables.
When the sides begin to look cooked, flip it over with a spatula.
When the other side is cooked, test the middle.
When the middle is cooked, put the cheese in the middle and sprinkle salt and pepper.
Fold it in half with the spatula.
Wait for about 20 seconds for the cheese to melt.
Take it out of the frying pan and onto a plate WITH THE SPATULA.
Tags:
Vegetarian

This is a temporary signature. It will exist until I think of something witty.

#12 2012-01-01 23:24:22

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Title: Ramen Noodle Dish

Meal Type: Main Dish

Difficulty: It depends on your experience of stovetop cooking and whether or not you choose to prepare some of the ingredients by yourself or choose to have them buy prepared already. I'm gonna say "medium" for now.

Author: cheddargirl

Ingredients:
Dried ramen noodles.
Powdered flavoring of your choice (amount depends on your choice)
Prepared meat or meat substitute of your choice (examples: sliced beef, sliced chicken, sliced pork, tofu, shrimp, sliced duck, clams).
Prepared Veggies of your choice (examples: bok choy, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, green onion, carrots)
One hard boiled egg

Steps:
1. Fill a pot with two cups of water in a pot, and boil the water. Add the ramen into the pot of boiling water, cook the noodles for around three minutes. You'll probably need to push the ramen noodles down with a utensil while initially cooking (yes, they float when uncooked).
2. When the ramen is cooked, turn off the heat, wait for the water to stop boiling. Add the powered flavoring to the pot, stir.
3. Pour the noodles out into a bowl. Add the meat/meat substitutes and veggies on top.
4. Cut hard boiled egg in half. Add one of the halves to the noodle bowl.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#13 2012-01-01 23:27:51

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Difficulty: It depends on your experience of stovetop cooking and whether or not you choose to prepare some of the ingredients by yourself or choose to have them buy prepared already. I'm gonna say "medium" for now.

Ingredients:
Dried ramen noodles.
Prepared meat or meat substitute of your choice (examples: sliced beef, sliced chicken, sliced pork, tofu, shrimp, sliced duck, clams).
Prepared Veggies of your choice (examples: bok choy, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, green onion, carrots)
One hard boiled egg

Steps:
1. Fill a pot with two cups of water in a pot, and boil the water. Add the ramen into the pot of boiling water, cook the noodles for around three minutes. You'll probably need to push the ramen noodles down with a utensil while initially cooking (yes, they float when uncooked).
2. When the ramen is cooked, turn off the heat, wait for the water to stop boiling. Add the powered flavoring to the pot, stir.
3. Pour the noodles out into a bowl. Add the meat/meat substitutes and veggies on top.

That sounds interesting. :p

#14 2012-01-01 23:41:46

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

CheeseMunchy wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Ingredients:
Dried ramen noodles.
One hard boiled egg

Steps:

Eh, for me, it's actually relatively boring - the interesting stuff comes when I have nothing but leftovers to deal with. Leftovers call for more creativity.  tongue

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#15 2012-01-01 23:47:37

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Ingredients:
Dried ramen noodles.
One hard boiled egg

Steps:

Eh, for me, it's actually relatively boring - the interesting stuff comes when I have nothing but leftovers to deal with. Leftovers call for more creativity.  tongue

lol, I get the pre-made, cup ramen noodles sometimes. Just add water. I'm too lazy. :p

Last edited by CheeseMunchy (2012-01-01 23:48:21)

#16 2012-01-02 05:54:13

NeilWest
Scratcher

Title: Ham and Broccoli Pasta Bake
Meal Type: Pasta/Main Dish
Difficulty: Easy
Author: NeilWest

Ingredients:
250g of ham/pork
750g of macaroni pasta
A large 'tree' of broccoli
A teaspoon of dijon mustard
1 pint of milk
3 heaped spoonfuls of cornflour
600g of cheddar cheese
(These are just random guesses)

Steps:
Set the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, gas mark 5.
Wash and cut the broccoli.
Turn 2 grills on, one with a large pot full of boiling water, soon add the pasta and broccoli in and stir to make sure that they don't stick. Stir until the pasta is springy.
The other grill is for the creamy cheese sauce, so grate the cheese and add, add some milk and stir until there are no more lumps, add cornflour and mustard and stir until there are no more lumps.
Get the broccoli and pasta and run through an coriander and put in a large tray.
Add the creamy sauce and ham.
Put in the oven and put in until the top is golden brown.
Take it out a leave to cool.
(Again, I'm not sure if all of this is exact, but I think it is.)

Tags: None

Last edited by NeilWest (2012-01-04 04:22:34)

#17 2012-01-02 05:56:03

my-chemical-romance
Scratcher

I once tried to make myself breakfast, then the kitchen went up in flames 4 minutes later.

I hate cereal.

#18 2012-01-02 06:04:16

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Bolognese Pasta with Olive oil

Ingredients:

Spaghetti or Fetuccini
pasta sauce
15 tomatos
garlic
paprika
basil
any meat, bacon and prawns are epic
olive oil

Boil pasta and set aside

In the pot, pour enough olive oil to coat the bottom.

Throw in chopped garlic and and fresh chillies you may have (not too many!  tongue )

When the garlic has browned, throw in meat, good idea to have that ready so you don't burn the garlic

When the meat has browned all over and started smelling good, add the tomatoes, diced and also the pasta sauce. the last bit is optional, though if you don't add this, you should also add lots of onions and carrots, pureed if possible.

Simmer until the tomatos skins fall off and they are mushy

Add pasta sauce and basil.

Now mix in the pasta.

Serve

Feeds 8 comfortably  smile

Last edited by jji7skyline (2012-01-03 22:57:22)

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#19 2012-01-03 21:33:03

wiimaster
Scratcher

Sorry that I haven't been updating, but I am waiting for Szabo to finish his amazing update that will add a section for your favorite recipes  smile

As soon as that is done everyone's recipes will be added.
For now I will just critique them:

Szabo- delicious sounding as always, you seem to know some pretty good desserts.
Cheddargirl, I think that seems more fitting as a Soup dish. Sounds very delicious though, reminds me of Korean Bibimbap.
Neilwest, I think you should change the meal type to Pasta/Rice. Sounds very yummy though, my family makes something similar that isn't baked.
Dinoclor and jji7skyline, could you please make the titles more specific? 'Omelet' and
'Pasta' are too broad, as others could do dishes of that type (other pastas or omelets). Both dishes sound nice though.

Last edited by wiimaster (2012-01-03 21:38:58)

#20 2012-01-03 21:42:22

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Uhm, there's a Banana Pudding recipe famous within my family but I think only my Grandparents and mom know that.  tongue

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#21 2012-01-03 22:16:39

luiysia
Scratcher

There's an excellent gourmet manga called "Yakitate!! Japan" that has some nice, easy recipes for bread, however, they are pages in a (online!) manga. Could I just transcribe it? (The manga has some curse words in it, but not on that page.) Of course, I know these recipes wouldn't make it into the project. Additionally, my mom has a recipe, but it's in metric, would that be OK or should I convert it?

Also, with cheddargirl's recipe, my family does something similar, but adding tomatoes and poaching the egg in the pan make it WAY tastier. You should try it!

Anyhoo, here's Alton Brown's amazing, beautiful recipe for chocolate chip cookies that are gorgeous and delicious. This won't make it in because it's not mine, of course, but I SERIOUSLY recommend you try it. It works for me every time! I have added my notes that I use to compensate for lack of certain things in italics.

Recipe Form wrote:

Title: The Chewy

Meal Type: Dessert (cookie)

Difficulty: Easy, but YOU MUST HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION WHEN USING THE OVEN AND POSSIBLY THE MIXER. SERIOUSLY.

Author: Alton Brown

Ingredients:
8 ounces unsalted butter
12 ounces bread flour BREAD FLOUR IS KEY! This is what makes it chewy! PLEASE try to use it!
1 teaspoon kosher salt (It doesn't have to be kosher, but if you have it, use it.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces granulated sugar
8 ounces light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ounce whole milk (note: I usually substitute with a little over 1 oz. of milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (This may be too much! Adjust the amount to your preference.)

ALL OF THIS IS BY WEIGHT!!!!!

Steps:
Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. (You can use a microwave too, put it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat 30 seconds, stir a little, and repeat until completely liquid.) Set aside to cool slightly.

Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda onto a paper plate. Pour the butter into your stand mixer's work bowl. (If you don't have a stand mixer, use a normal one at a low speed - I have a 3-speed one, and I use the lowest speed.) Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the whole egg, the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup. Reduce the mixer speed and slowly add the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.

Using the paper plate as a slide, gradually integrate the dry ingredients, stopping a couple of times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. (When doing this, I instead turn off the mixer, pour the whole thing in, and mix it with the mixer - turned off, of course!) Once the flour is worked in, drop the speed to "stir" (lowest setting) and add the chocolate chips. Chill the dough for 1 hour. (You may refrigerate for longer than this, though)

Preheat the oven to 375 EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! I found that 375 is a bit too much. Use 350 degrees and 15 min. or the same and 12 min.) degrees F and place racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven. (I don't do this, but I recommend you do it if you can!)

Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-ounce portions onto parchment-lined half sheet pans, 6 cookies per sheet. (I don't do this exactly, but they should be around the size of a golf ball, maybe a little larger,) Bake 2 sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack and wait at least 5 minutes before devouring.

Tags:
-'Contains Nuts' The ingredients for this may have nuts in them, but it has no nuts directly applied to it.

I found this recipe actually makes ~36, rather than the two dozen, but it depends on the size of the cookie.

Times:
Total Time: 1 hr 50 min
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 1 hr
Cook: 30 min It may be more than this, though, depending on the thickness of the cookies

Last edited by luiysia (2012-01-03 22:24:44)

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#22 2012-01-03 22:29:15

wiimaster
Scratcher

Nice, Alton brown is one of my favorite celebrity chefs  smile  Those cookies sound delicious, I'm going to try that sometime.
Sadly of course, that won't make the project (because it is not your own custom recipe) but sharing your favorite recipes just for fun is definitely encouraged on this topic!

#23 2012-01-03 22:31:53

bananaman114
Scratcher

One of my resolutions this year is to learn how to cook!

the sun still shines

#24 2012-01-03 22:33:45

MrMokey
Scratcher

Title: Minecraft Bread

Meal Type: Sandwich

Difficulty: Medium

Author: MrMokey

Ingredients:
3 seeds

Steps:
1. Get a hoe and plough some farmland.
2. Plant your seeds. Light and water speeds up growth
3. When fully grown, harvest.
4. Now go over toyour crafting counter and arrange 3 wheat in a horizontal row.
5. In your crafting counters output, collect your bread
6. Repeat steps again.

Last edited by MrMokey (2012-01-03 22:34:27)

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa344/mrmokey1/Thankyouitfitsperfectlysig.png

#25 2012-01-03 22:56:15

Laternenpfahl
Scratcher

I'm gonna make badges you can give to the recipes!

http://i46.tinypic.com/6yd4c0.png

• Index
  •  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Scratch Chefs: Share Recipes and Learn About Cooking! Take Two!

Board footer