This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » A league for real-world Scratch competitions

#1 2008-07-28 14:59:23

ashbyr1
Scratcher

A league for real-world Scratch competitions

I've been tinkering with this idea since I started a Scratch club at my middle school last year.   Rather than try to deliver a finished product to the Scratch community, I've decided to get the ball rolling now, and sort things out as we go.

The Creative Media League is currently seeking input from the Scratch community to develop real-world competitions for Scratch programming.  Basic events will be similar to debate and forensics competitions.  However, event hosts will have the opportunity to modify competition guidelines to emphasize specific skills or topics.

Competitive events will provide students with recognition for their achievements and motivation to improve.  The structure of the events will foster collaboration and stimulate discussion of relevant themes.  Tournaments held at the regional, national, and international levels will give students the opportunity to experience membership in a truly global community. 

The CML plans to provide:
    the structure for a basic event
    resources for recruiting members
    resources for gaining support from administrators, parents, community members
    tools and templates for students who want to start a club at their school
    information about upcoming events

At this time we are in the VERY early planning stages.  To be involved with the development of the league, please join us at: creativemedialeague.org

Last edited by ashbyr1 (2008-07-31 09:11:40)

Learn the basics with these video tutorials.
Or nominate an All Star Animation.

#2 2008-07-28 15:01:54

Bluestribute
Scratcher

Re: A league for real-world Scratch competitions

Wait, would you have to have a Scratch program at your school? Because this sounds fun, but our school doesn't even know Scratch exists

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#3 2008-07-28 15:04:18

ashbyr1
Scratcher

Well, part of the goal is to create informational material for you to take to your principal, or that one cool teacher who might get it, and say, "I want to do this."

#4 2008-07-28 15:10:02

Bluestribute
Scratcher

ashbyr1 wrote:

Well, part of the goal is to create informational material for you to take to your principal, or that one cool teacher who might get it, and say, "I want to do this."

A couple problems: New principal this year, the only cool teacher left (though her sub is cool too) and taught orchestra, and I don't know any 8th grade teachers except for 1 (because she helps with the spellig bee. Lol, misspelled spelling)

That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#5 2008-07-30 17:24:44

mletreat
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

ashbyr1 wrote:

A couple problems: New principal this year, the only cool teacher left (though her sub is cool too) and taught orchestra, and I don't know any 8th grade teachers except for 1 (because she helps with the spellig bee. Lol, misspelled spelling)

Hey Bluestribute-

does your school have a computer lab or a room with at least a couple computers in it? Perhaps YOU could ask your teacher/principal if you could start an afterschool/during freetime/lunchtime get together for people to learn about scratch.  You certainly don't need a teacher to get you started, just permission - I am sure you could find support from someone in your school!

#6 2008-07-30 17:36:03

Bobby500
Scratcher

I am pretty sure that most schools dont block the scratch website.

#7 2008-07-30 17:37:00

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Bluestribute wrote:

ashbyr1 wrote:

You know misspelled is one of the most commonly misspelled words?

#8 2008-07-30 21:24:14

Bluestribute
Scratcher

mletreat wrote:

Bluestribute wrote:

ashbyr1 wrote:

Hey Bluestribute-

does your school have a computer lab or a room with at least a couple computers in it? Perhaps YOU could ask your teacher/principal if you could start an afterschool/during freetime/lunchtime get together for people to learn about scratch.  You certainly don't need a teacher to get you started, just permission - I am sure you could find support from someone in your school!

Yeah. Our Lab has tons of old, slow computers and so does our library. I only say slow because it would be a pain to even attempt going on Scratch with them (trust me, I made a school project on Scratch). If the school gets better computers, I might ask… though if might not be worth it since next year i will be going to high school

#9 2008-07-31 07:28:27

ashbyr1
Scratcher

Bluestribute, you demonstrate almost daily that you've got the writing and problem solving skills to get a club started.  Just treat it like a game.  It's definitely worth it, because not only will you have more fun this year, but you will create an opportunity for the kids who come after you as well.

The majority of the students who were in my club last year are starting high school this fall.  Several of them have written letters to the high school principal and have already gotten permission to create a new club at the high school.  As long as they follow through this fall, they will will be able to say, for the rest of their lives, that they are the founders of the creative computing club at their high school.

#10 2008-07-31 12:09:33

Bluestribute
Scratcher

ashbyr1 wrote:

Bluestribute, you demonstrate almost daily that you've got the writing and problem solving skills to get a club started.  Just treat it like a game.  It's definitely worth it, because not only will you have more fun this year, but you will create an opportunity for the kids who come after you as well.

The majority of the students who were in my club last year are starting high school this fall.  Several of them have written letters to the high school principal and have already gotten permission to create a new club at the high school.  As long as they follow through this fall, they will will be able to say, for the rest of their lives, that they are the founders of the creative computing club at their high school.

Yeah, I'll think about it. I really wanna try to start one. I can even have my mom talk directly to the principal and some of my old teachers (I'm usually a favorite student) because she is on the PTA. I know if I start one, it would get members because lots of people I know like those advanced stuff, like programming. I'll see what I can do when school starts up

#11 2008-07-31 13:16:07

mletreat
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

Yeah. Our Lab has tons of old, slow computers and so does our library. I only say slow because it would be a pain to even attempt going on Scratch with them (trust me, I made a school project on Scratch). If the school gets better computers, I might ask… though if might not be worth it since next year i will be going to high school

Actually!

Scratch can run on some pretty old computers! Try installing it on one first, if that works, you may be good to go  smile

#12 2008-07-31 13:18:48

Bluestribute
Scratcher

mletreat wrote:

Bluestribute wrote:

Actually!

Scratch can run on some pretty old computers! Try installing it on one first, if that works, you may be good to go  smile

I'll need to talk with our computer people to see if they will let me install it. If I could get them to get a club, than they would have to (and they know my mom, so they probably would).

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » A league for real-world Scratch competitions

Board footer