This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-07-24 16:49:23

koenigshofer
Scratcher

How to control outputs

My son wants to control some toy motor from his scratch program.
The sratchboard looks like input only. How could one go about adding hardware output capabilities to scratch?

Any activities in that direction; Does anyone have a starting point on that?

#2 2008-07-24 16:50:32

Bluestribute
Scratcher

Re: How to control outputs

That's interesting. I'm sorry I don't know the answer  sad  but I would love to know too!

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#3 2008-07-24 23:10:27

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

At this time there is no output for controlling external devices. The only hack I've used (and also saw recently at the Scratch Conference) is to change the intensity of the display (a small region of the display) as an output to a light sensitive resistor that is proximal to (e.g., attached to) the screen. That resistor can be used in a suitable circuit (such as an op-amp circuit, I suspect) to control the motor. The other "output" you have is the sound intensity, which might be difficult for your purposes.

Like you, I'm also looking forward to the day there is some form of output on the board.

Last edited by chalkmarrow (2008-07-24 23:12:52)

#4 2008-07-29 00:31:25

keithbraafladt
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

At this time there is no output for controlling external devices. The only hack I've used (and also saw recently at the Scratch Conference) is to change the intensity of the display (a small region of the display) as an output to a light sensitive resistor that is proximal to (e.g., attached to) the screen. That resistor can be used in a suitable circuit (such as an op-amp circuit, I suspect) to control the motor. The other "output" you have is the sound intensity, which might be difficult for your purposes.

Like you, I'm also looking forward to the day there is some form of output on the board.

In another demo at the conference I think Ed Baafi showed a couple ways to connect Scratch to an output - an Arduino micro controller board that turned on an LED. I believe that the next version of Scratch will let you broadcast a command that can be read by an application that talks between Scratch and other devices ( such as an Arduino board like Ed demonstrated)

#5 2008-07-29 00:57:32

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

keithbraafladt wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

In another demo at the conference I think Ed Baafi showed a couple ways to connect Scratch to an output - an Arduino micro controller board that turned on an LED. I believe that the next version of Scratch will let you broadcast a command that can be read by an application that talks between Scratch and other devices ( such as an Arduino board like Ed demonstrated)

Yep. I'm looking forward to that as well.

#6 2008-07-30 15:08:38

koenigshofer
Scratcher

keithbraafladt wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

that sound exactly like what we are looking for! I'm also looking at the arduino board.
Is there any info when this new version might appear? Where should i look for preview/beta versions or at least a feature list?

#7 2008-08-03 16:04:48

zelda456
Scratcher

Hey how do i start kh3????????????????????

You Can't spell slaughter with out laughter
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs23/f/2008/028/0/9/Itachi__s_laugh___EDIT___by_Fox4859.gif

#8 2008-08-03 16:22:57

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

I give up; What's "kh3." I judge by the number of question marks that it's rather important...

#9 2008-08-03 17:41:55

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

chalkmarrow wrote:

I give up; What's "kh3." I judge by the number of question marks that it's rather important...

Google seems to think it's Kingdom of Hearts 3.  Looks like we have an off-topic post here.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#10 2009-12-20 11:33:11

karthikeyan
Scratcher

There Is A Way For Connecting Led With Parallel Port.i Hape That The New Version Will Have Parallel Port Outputs Also.

At Present,if U Go To Winamp Site And Search Plugins For Parallel Port,u Will Find Them

Board footer