This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-06-29 23:07:28

DrJim
Scratcher

MIDI Output on a PC

I just made an interesting find for PC users who have MIDI ports on their computer.  If you go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices screen, click on the Audio tab and set the "MIDI music playback" default device to your MIDI output port and check the "Use only default device" box - the music from Scratch will play on your MIDI device instead of the internal synthesizer.

(Note that I have only been able to get this to work with downloaded programs - I get no sound trying to run off the web.)

Depending on the quality of your audio hardware, you will probably get much better sound - plus have the option to play with sound assignmets, etc.  I haven't tried it, but I assume you could also make MIDI "recordings" this way.

The music from Jens' "Combo" ( http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Jens/13629 ) sounds particularly good - though it started with great voices without any external hardware.  A great feature of "Combo" is that you can also turn off any of the parts and just play along - of course you really don't need MIDI for that.

Last edited by DrJim (2007-06-29 23:15:39)

#2 2007-07-11 09:56:19

Jens
Scratcher

Re: MIDI Output on a PC

Hey, Dr. Jim, that's a great find! I just got back from vacation and checked it out, really works great. I need to find out about midi recordings, though. How did you get the idea to fiddle with the settings?

Jens Mönig

#3 2007-07-11 21:11:47

DrJim
Scratcher

Re: MIDI Output on a PC

Jens wrote:

How did you get the idea to fiddle with the settings?

A side effect of have a larger than reasonable number of MIDI devices/ports interfacing to my computer.

Board footer