This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2012-08-17 00:26:01

henley
Scratcher

Re: Scratch 2.0: What are you searching for?

dvd4 wrote:

sonicgames20 wrote:

Sonic_The_Werehog wrote:

Thats Impossible.

How do you know? You're not working with the Scratch Team.

the scratch team doesn't decide what is possible and what is impossible. A dictionary does

You're not a dictionary are you? because you specifically decided that that was impossible.

tongue

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#102 2012-08-17 00:35:49

berberberber
Scratcher

henley wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

sonicgames20 wrote:

the scratch team doesn't decide what is possible and what is impossible. A dictionary does

You're not a dictionary are you? because you specifically decided that that was impossible.

tongue

Wait, so if I write a dictionary, I control the world?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2iaa73k.png

#103 2012-08-21 08:21:08

jontmy00
Scratcher

berberberber wrote:

henley wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

tongue

That makes no sense.  hmm

FOR ALL THE NEWS ON UPDATES FOR SIMPLISTICRAFT, CLICK HERE.

#104 2012-08-21 09:05:56

ImagineIt
Scratcher

jontmy00 wrote:

berberberber wrote:

henley wrote:

tongue

That makes no sense.  hmm

Yes, it does, if you read what the other users said.

#105 2012-09-03 07:48:57

tangobit4
New Scratcher

I am here for the games and looking for the latest games for my pc if anybody know some good games of missions so please suggest me.

#106 2012-09-03 09:11:35

jontmy00
Scratcher

tangobit4 wrote:

I am here for the games and looking for the latest games for my pc if anybody know some good games of missions so please suggest me.

That is irrelevant to the topic...

FOR ALL THE NEWS ON UPDATES FOR SIMPLISTICRAFT, CLICK HERE.

#107 2012-09-03 10:26:12

henley
Scratcher

berberberber wrote:

henley wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

tongue

Based on THEIR logic, yes.

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#108 2012-09-03 11:53:36

dvd4
Scratcher

henley wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

sonicgames20 wrote:

tongue

A dictionary defines the words "possible" and "impossible",and it fits the definition.

I made a mod  big_smile  It's called blook!
http://i49.tinypic.com/16ia63p.png

#109 2012-09-03 11:56:45

dvd4
Scratcher

berberberber wrote:

henley wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

tongue

no,if you wrote a dictionary you would just control the definition of possible and impossible,not the whole world.(there is difference between them)

I made a mod  big_smile  It's called blook!
http://i49.tinypic.com/16ia63p.png

#110 2012-09-03 12:12:29

JH1010
Scratcher

[offtopic]
I noticed that it was mentioned that someone new was joining the Scratch Team. I really want to work for Scratch when I'm older!
[/offtopic]

#111 2012-09-03 12:32:23

TheMagician
Scratcher

JH1010 wrote:

[offtopic]
I noticed that it was mentioned that someone new was joining the Scratch Team. I really want to work for Scratch when I'm older!
[/offtopic]

You have to make REALLY good grades to get into MIT. And the people who work "for Scratch" I don't think get paid besides for donations.

http://i48.tinypic.com/f7x4h.png

#112 2012-09-03 12:35:22

Firedrake969
Scratcher

TheMagician wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]

You have to make REALLY good grades to get into MIT. And the people who work "for Scratch" I don't think get paid besides for donations.

They get paid by MIT.  I'm talking about andresmh, not Paddle2See and Cheddargirl.  And yes, I hope to get into MIT.  I do have good Straight-A grades.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#113 2012-09-03 12:44:36

JH1010
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheMagician wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]

They get paid by MIT.  I'm talking about andresmh, not Paddle2See and Cheddargirl.  And yes, I hope to get into MIT.  I do have good Straight-A grades.

Straight A grades. There's something to aim for.

#114 2012-09-03 12:46:19

TheMagician
Scratcher

Most of us are too young for colleges to look at our grades anyways. They only look at grades from 9th-12th. Unless you take certain honors and AP courses in 8th and maybe 7th grade.

http://i48.tinypic.com/f7x4h.png

#115 2012-09-07 23:42:41

soupoftomato
Scratcher

TheMagician wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]

You have to get into MIT\
And then into the Scratch Team
and yeah

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#116 2012-09-07 23:44:06

veggieman001
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheMagician wrote:

JH1010 wrote:

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]

Actually, Andresmh is/was an academic researcher. The people who get paid are more like people like Lightnin, IIRC.

#117 2012-09-09 19:23:45

taddl
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

cpumaster930 wrote:

I agree with most of Lucario's post, but I have a bit to add  smile

Lucario621 wrote:

One thing I dislike about this second mockup however is that it appears that you can immediately play the top searched result from the search engine. This brings up some questions. Will that search then count as a view for that project?

I could see a system working where there's sort of a preview for that project--mouse over the project and a 10-second preview plays in a loop--click the project and it brings you to the full project, and counts as a view.

This might require some effort to implement, but it would be cool if there was a screen-capture feature in Scratch. Let's say you have an action game that you want to showcase.  Perhaps you could record 20 seconds of the screen while you're playing your game, speed it up to 2x, and automatically export as a .gif which would display as the preview.

I'm not sure how much additional server space this would require, though, or if it would make the website lag.  I'm not really an expert in that area  hmm

That's a cool idea! The only thing though is that I think this idea would work great for youtube since its just a video, however on Scratch it can be an animation, a game, etc. I definitely think your idea might over-complicating the process of uploading a project. Perhaps like a mini-slideshow of 3-4 images instead?

or maybe it just starts the project, and restarts it every 5 seconds...

http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=projects&type=newest&return=image&user=taddl
http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=taddl&action=projects&type=newest&return=text&num=1

#118 2012-09-16 13:34:21

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Hey! There's a BIG issue with vector graphics for Scratch 2.0, and I've been doing some research on it.

I downloaded a BETA vector graphics editor off google, and shrunk down two images, one using the editor and one using the resize tool in MS Paint. Turns out that images shrunk in MS Paint are sharper then ones shrunk using the editor, and I fear that it will affect all images using vector graphics.

Now this is where you ask "But vector graphics are designed to allow people to enlarge images without them losing quality, not shrink them!"

That's the problem!

If you had a screen with a resolution of 1440X900, and an image of 800X600 which you wanted to fill the whole screen, you could make it bigger and vector graphics would be good.

However, scratch does not have a sharp resolution. In fact, the only way to fit things on the tiny 480X360 resolution is to shrink things to fit in, hence vector graphics makes things worse. We rarely need to enlarge things in scratch, but we certainly need to shrink things, and what we need is a sharper resolution and not vector graphics. Opinions?

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#119 2012-09-16 13:38:26

veggieman001
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

Hey! There's a BIG issue with vector graphics for Scratch 2.0, and I've been doing some research on it.

I downloaded a BETA vector graphics editor off google, and shrunk down two images, one using the editor and one using the resize tool in MS Paint. Turns out that images shrunk in MS Paint are sharper then ones shrunk using the editor, and I fear that it will affect all images using vector graphics.

Now this is where you ask "But vector graphics are designed to allow people to enlarge images without them losing quality, not shrink them!"

That's the problem!

If you had a screen with a resolution of 1440X900, and an image of 800X600 which you wanted to fill the whole screen, you could make it bigger and vector graphics would be good.

However, scratch does not have a sharp resolution. In fact, the only way to fit things on the tiny 480X360 resolution is to shrink things to fit in, hence vector graphics makes things worse. We rarely need to enlarge things in scratch, but we certainly need to shrink things, and what we need is a sharper resolution and not vector graphics. Opinions?

Were you shrinking vector images?

#120 2012-09-16 13:41:30

Borrego6165
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

That's the problem!

no offence but why are you asking me this? that's what the whole post is about- me shrinking images in a vector editor and an MS paint editor

Last edited by Borrego6165 (2012-09-16 13:41:50)

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#121 2012-09-16 13:51:16

veggieman001
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

That's the problem!

no offence but why are you asking me this? that's what the whole post is about- me shrinking images in a vector editor and an MS paint editor

But whether it was a vector image actually matters; vector images (generally with extension SVG), like the ones Scratch 2.0 uses, are very different than raster/bitmap images (extension PNG/JPEG/GIF/etc.), like what MS Paint and Scratch 1.4 uses. You still have not explicitly stated which you're using, which leads me to believe you're using raster images (because they were able to be opened in MS Paint), which isn't really a fair comparison.

#122 2012-09-16 13:57:07

Borrego6165
Scratcher

oh i get you now- sorry! yeah, two PNG images inserted into both an MS paint and a vector graphics editor, but are you saying that to get the benefit ALL images will have to be done in the scratch editor now?

#123 2012-09-16 14:08:33

veggieman001
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

oh i get you now- sorry! yeah, two PNG images inserted into both an MS paint and a vector graphics editor, but are you saying that to get the benefit ALL images will have to be done in the scratch editor now?

Well no, but images created in the Scratch editor will be advantageous.
Also, the Scratch editor likely uses different algorithms for resizing images than the vector editor you used, because different editors use different ones.

I do agree that the current editor isn't really optimal, though.

#124 2012-09-16 15:32:42

Borrego6165
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

Well no, but images created in the Scratch editor will be advantageous.
Also, the Scratch editor likely uses different algorithms for resizing images than the vector editor you used, because different editors use different ones.

I do agree that the current editor isn't really optimal, though.

yeh

#125 2012-11-04 06:30:38

Borrego6165
Scratcher

will you be able to set the position and look of a variable using blocks, or do you have to watch them go out of place each time you restart? (in scratch 2.0)

Board footer