This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

#101 2011-07-18 22:13:15

rabbit1131
Scratcher

Re: Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

Who to vote for!!! I can't decide! I like ssss.... I like almost everyone running! Well, it will narrow down as the ST decides who will continue and who won't.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#102 2011-07-18 22:40:12

soupoftomato
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Okay, here's a proposition:

"If I win the election, I will significantly reduce te amount of Jedward references in posts, and maybe eradicate them altogether." - Me

There you go. Is that a vote won? xD

@cheddargirl - I know the community here realises I'm not a perfect citizen. My retaliation towards negative comments are my downfall, and I have argued/spammed/brought up inappropriate topics once or twice. However, I believe i I have regained enough reputation for me to be a valid candidate for the Moderator position. I understand that there is a time and place for goofing off and immaturity, however when dealing with potentially sensitive or serious subjects, I will be formal and ensure a sense of authority is present. As you can robably tell, I have the ability to alter my typing style to fit with the current situation; I can adopt a less-formal approach when necessary.  smile

Mnn... Past posts sometimes speak louder than speeches.  hmm

When picking a moderator candidate, I have a tendency to look the past posts to get an idea on how they react to tough situation. Just based on my opinion, I don't know if I've seen enough posts/comments from you that would otherwise show that you handle a tough situation on your own. Anybody can do the typical moderator stuff like clean up spam, remove swear words, move topics, and so on - but as the "Chronicles of a Moderator" thread show, it goes beyond that stuff and the position is not as easy as it looks. Long story short, I just want to see something from you, long-term, so I know that you would know how to act in different situations.

I know you might think I'm not mature enough to handle serious situations, but if you compare recent posts to posts in the past (those spammy ones that caused a ruckus, for example) I think you'll find I have matured; I am less childish, and particulary recently, I have made my posts more useful: focusing on quality.
In the next 3 days, I'm determined to prove to you and everyone else that \i canhandle the responsiibilty  smile

P.S. Sorry for typos, cant type properky because my fingers are bandage dup and it takes forever ti type  tongue

Honestly, her determination to suddenly improve post quality to get candidacy really describes this which I had already planned to say anyway:

*sings* It's beginning to feel a lot like Moderator Elections. *sings*
Where people try to make their posts seem fancy to impress the ST.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#103 2011-07-18 22:56:44

Harakou
Community Moderator

soupoftomato wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

When picking a moderator candidate, I have a tendency to look the past posts to get an idea on how they react to tough situation. Just based on my opinion, I don't know if I've seen enough posts/comments from you that would otherwise show that you handle a tough situation on your own. Anybody can do the typical moderator stuff like clean up spam, remove swear words, move topics, and so on - but as the "Chronicles of a Moderator" thread show, it goes beyond that stuff and the position is not as easy as it looks. Long story short, I just want to see something from you, long-term, so I know that you would know how to act in different situations.

I know you might think I'm not mature enough to handle serious situations, but if you compare recent posts to posts in the past (those spammy ones that caused a ruckus, for example) I think you'll find I have matured; I am less childish, and particulary recently, I have made my posts more useful: focusing on quality.
In the next 3 days, I'm determined to prove to you and everyone else that \i canhandle the responsiibilty  smile

P.S. Sorry for typos, cant type properky because my fingers are bandage dup and it takes forever ti type  tongue

Honestly, her determination to suddenly improve post quality to get candidacy really describes this which I had already planned to say anyway:

Well, I suppose that's inevitable. Making a lasting impression on the community is important though, so for the most part I doubt last-minute increases in posting will help anyway. At least it's not like the last election; remember the frenzy of speeches in miscellaneous weeks before the actual elections?

Last edited by Harakou (2011-07-18 22:57:10)

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&return=image&link1=http://i.imgur.com/OZn2RD3.png&link2=http://i.imgur.com/duzaGTB.png&link3=http://i.imgur.com/CrDGvvZ.png&link4=http://i.imgur.com/POEpQyZ.png&link5=http://i.imgur.com/ZKJF8ac.png

#104 2011-07-18 23:00:10

Lucario621
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

That's certainly a useful insight cheddargirl. I hope my posts stand up as good quality and useful posts. It's easy to say that you will do something, however actually doing it? It's not easy to tell if you'll be able to. And the past posts are a good guide for that.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#105 2011-07-19 00:17:08

Chrischb
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Lol yeah, there's been a big rise in paragraph length xD

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#106 2011-07-19 02:00:15

scimonster
Community Moderator

sparks wrote:

I know what you mean, cheddargirl, I always find it much less intimidating when moderators talk informally and are prepared to joke a little when answering a question but I wouldn't want someone immature who can't take on the serious side when it's needed! Actually, it always takes me a little aback, if I email one of the Scratch team I usually write really formally, sign my name etc, then I just get this casual response!  big_smile  my formality goes downhill from there  tongue

Me too! I emailed them about KajTheModerator when he posted on my topic, not so joking (me), and got this response:

help@scratch.mit.edu wrote:

(Hint: Hmm.. what's the date? It's almost........ ) XD

#107 2011-07-19 02:15:18

jji7skyline
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

sparks wrote:

I know what you mean, cheddargirl, I always find it much less intimidating when moderators talk informally and are prepared to joke a little when answering a question but I wouldn't want someone immature who can't take on the serious side when it's needed! Actually, it always takes me a little aback, if I email one of the Scratch team I usually write really formally, sign my name etc, then I just get this casual response!  big_smile  my formality goes downhill from there  tongue

Me too! I emailed them about KajTheModerator when he posted on my topic, not so joking (me), and got this response:

help@scratch.mit.edu wrote:

(Hint: Hmm.. what's the date? It's almost........ ) XD

Lol!

I think Harakou explains things very well... he would make a good mod.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#108 2011-07-19 03:41:06

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

I think Harakou explains things very well... he would make a good mod.

+1 He's one of the few people that regularly answers questions and gives feedback on suggestions.  tongue

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2011-07-19 06:22:03)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#109 2011-07-19 09:25:34

Magnie
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

I completely agree on that, but when I tried going for Moderator once, I had only a few lines since I had nothing very special to say when others had 3-5 paragraphs though the longest speeches seemed to get more votes. ( I only got a few votes from those who knew me very well on the forums, but oh well ^.^ ) They also advertised a large amount in their signatures and in topics. Which also seems to get them more votes. But what do I know?  tongue

I agree that Harakou will make a great Moderator. He is outstanding!  big_smile

Edit: I just realized a way you can look at their past posts, click the link next to their post count, and it'll bring you to a page which shows you every topic they've posted in. May get some ideas from that for finding the best Moderators.  smile

Last edited by Magnie (2011-07-19 09:29:22)

#110 2011-07-19 10:54:59

jslomba
Scratcher

I think I'll vote for sparks....

the the the the the

#111 2011-07-19 11:15:46

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

Okay cheddargirl, I get it. I know you think I'm too immature to handle serious topics; if I am voted in I will prove you wrong.  tongue  XD You probably think I have a bad attitude, but I'll show you I'm worthy  big_smile 
I'm considering pulling out anyway, as no-one is going to vote for me... :L Second thoughts, I'll stay in, but I'm not going to get any votes, so no problems, right?  smile

Last edited by The_Dancing_Donut (2011-07-19 12:40:22)

Offending strangers since 2010.

#112 2011-07-19 11:38:28

imsosuperswell1
Scratcher

I vote for ProgrammingFreak. Oh and by brother cboom123 told me to say ProgrammingFreak too.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34y3brb.png

#113 2011-07-19 12:15:01

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

imsosuperswell1 wrote:

I vote for ProgrammingFreak. Oh and by brother cboom123 told me to say ProgrammingFreak too.

Voting hasn't begun yet- the Scratch Team needs to choose their nominees.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#114 2011-07-19 13:04:57

Wickimen
Scratcher

I thought you had to to be 14 to be a mod?

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#115 2011-07-19 13:08:25

scimonster
Community Moderator

Down to 13.

#116 2011-07-19 13:14:38

Wickimen
Scratcher

Oh, cool! Maybe I will run next year, then...  tongue
There's several people I would like to vote for... I don't know if anyone knows yet but are we doing that thing again where you drag and drop the names in order of where you want them?

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#117 2011-07-19 13:16:51

jslomba
Scratcher

I think the nominees should be haroukou (sorry If I spelled it wrong), sparks, wulfmaster, and Lucario621.

the the the the the

#118 2011-07-19 13:32:47

sparks
Community Moderator

I wonder what time the Team announce the nominees... It should be sometime today!

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#119 2011-07-19 13:39:09

scimonster
Community Moderator

jslomba wrote:

I think the nominees should be haroukou (sorry If I spelled it wrong), sparks, wulfmaster, and Lucario621.

Harakou.  wink

#120 2011-07-19 15:31:00

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Yeah, there's a couple things I want to point out that I've noticed. Firstly, running to become a nominee is quite difficult since you have to get the Scratch Team's approval of quality, as well as tye Scratch Community's majority vote.

Typing that out, it makes me wonder - what voting system will the Scratch Team use? There's the common method of selecting your favorite and counting to see who is chosen the most, however we could also have the other version where we rank the candidates from most wanted to least wanted, which we can then work off of. Which will it be?

#121 2011-07-19 15:42:10

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Yeah, there's a couple things I want to point out that I've noticed. Firstly, running to become a nominee is quite difficult since you have to get the Scratch Team's approval of quality, as well as tye Scratch Community's majority vote.

Typing that out, it makes me wonder - what voting system will the Scratch Team use? There's the common method of selecting your favorite and counting to see who is chosen the most, however we could also have the other version where we rank the candidates from most wanted to least wanted, which we can then work off of. Which will it be?

I think it's going to be "vote for your favorite" since we aren't choosing multiple moderators this time around.

#122 2011-07-19 15:51:09

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

I think it's going to be "vote for your favorite" since we aren't choosing multiple moderators this time around.

I can see what you mean, but other methods still have their advantages. For example, the Borda count involve the candidates getting points based on what rank you put them in, so it works as wikipedia says, "as a consensus-based electoral system, rather than a majoritarian one." So who knows.

#123 2011-07-19 16:24:02

sparks
Community Moderator

England recently voted on a referendum to use the voting system Lucario describes above to vote in new political parties. It's an interesting system and the referendum was called by some of the parties that never get voted for. From studying this type of voting system before I voted, it seems that the system favours the underdog a lot more that the single vote system  tongue  (we didn't change to that in the end)

#124 2011-07-19 16:41:49

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

I can see what you mean, but other methods still have their advantages. For example, the Borda count involve the candidates getting points based on what rank you put them in, so it works as wikipedia says, "as a consensus-based electoral system, rather than a majoritarian one." So who knows.

Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out.

#125 2011-07-19 17:20:25

sparks
Community Moderator

It's 10:25 here in England, what time is it at MIT? I will fall asleep waiting at the keyboard soon!  tongue

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

Board footer