This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

#76 2011-07-18 15:44:36

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

Re: Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

Jonathanpb wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Honestly, the idea of TDD for mod is a little meh to me.

She would do the job and all but just doesn't seem mature enough to do it completely right or whatever.

I'd rather have a slightly immature mod around than one that's terribly mature  tongue

:DDDDDDD High-five Jon!

I think my slight immaturity would work to the community's advantage - you wouldn't feel intimidated asking me a question  smile

Offending strangers since 2010.

#77 2011-07-18 15:48:13

soupoftomato
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

She would do the job and all but just doesn't seem mature enough to do it completely right or whatever.

I'd rather have a slightly immature mod around than one that's terribly mature  tongue

I think my slight immaturity would work to the community's advantage - you wouldn't feel intimidated asking me a question  smile

But, but, but. So much Jedward was my main problem . . .

*hides in corner*

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#78 2011-07-18 15:49:33

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

poemon1 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

when there are spots open i think i should be a mod because 1. im kind to others.
2. i have a LOT of friends.
and 3. i am a fair person, i dont cheat and ill never quit scratch.

Everyone will have to quit sometime  wink

Have you been on Scratch long enough to apply?

how long is that, i had several accounts, but i just got this one, i got my first sscratch in 2008

You have to have been active for 6 months on the account you are running for mod on.  smile

#79 2011-07-18 15:54:36

veggieman001
Scratcher

zapps wrote:

you should totally vote me for moderator bros
3 posts but i can imagine them in my mind to be bigger
so like yeah

that will never happen. not enough time bro.

#80 2011-07-18 15:54:48

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Immaturity can also be a sign that you might not take things seriously when need be. There's always the exceptional case when you might have to deal with older Scratchers (some of which are adults) or serious situations. Me, I'd rather take the terribly mature moderator over the slightly immature one since it seem like this new moderator position will be involved in maintaining Miscellaneous.  hmm

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to see moderators reply in the threads and be casual like regular members. I just don't want them to be, well, flippant about the job.  neutral

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#81 2011-07-18 15:58:13

sparks
Community Moderator

I know what you mean, cheddargirl, I always find it much less intimidating when moderators talk informally and are prepared to joke a little when answering a question but I wouldn't want someone immature who can't take on the serious side when it's needed! Actually, it always takes me a little aback, if I email one of the Scratch team I usually write really formally, sign my name etc, then I just get this casual response!  big_smile  my formality goes downhill from there  tongue

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#82 2011-07-18 16:01:14

peterkap
Scratcher

Im 12.... Turning 13 in november. Is there a possible way i can run for moderator?
Edit: I've been on Scratch since i was.... 10... i think...
I've made a lot of projects, but i deleted them.
I've always tried to help other Scratchers.
I think I'm mature enough to be a moderator. I am 100% Trustworthy, and my parents would approve.

Last edited by peterkap (2011-07-18 16:05:25)

#83 2011-07-18 16:04:32

gettysburg11
Scratcher

peterkap wrote:

Im 12.... Turning 13 in november. Is there a possible way i can run for moderator?

From the page on community moderators:

Moderator Page wrote:

4. Will be age 13 or older during the month of the election

Sorry. You'd have to be 13 by the end of this month.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#84 2011-07-18 16:04:50

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

peterkap wrote:

You need to be at least 13 years of age to apply for a moderator position. You'll probably have to wait for the next election if you want to run.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#85 2011-07-18 16:05:50

peterkap
Scratcher

sad  Ok....

#86 2011-07-18 16:31:47

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

*hides in corner*

Okay, here's a proposition:

"If I win the election, I will significantly reduce te amount of Jedward references in posts, and maybe eradicate them altogether." - Me

There you go. Is that a vote won? xD

@cheddargirl - I know the community here realises I'm not a perfect citizen. My retaliation towards negative comments are my downfall, and I have argued/spammed/brought up inappropriate topics once or twice. However, I believe i I have regained enough reputation for me to be a valid candidate for the Moderator position. I understand that there is a time and place for goofing off and immaturity, however when dealing with potentially sensitive or serious subjects, I will be formal and ensure a sense of authority is present. As you can robably tell, I have the ability to alter my typing style to fit with the current situation; I can adopt a less-formal approach when necessary.  smile

#87 2011-07-18 16:39:28

poemon1
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Everyone will have to quit sometime  wink

Have you been on Scratch long enough to apply?

how long is that, i had several accounts, but i just got this one, i got my first sscratch in 2008

You have to have been active for 6 months on the account you are running for mod on.  smile

ok so how many months was i on bout 4/5?

http://i47.tinypic.com/rrqe13.gif

#88 2011-07-18 16:42:16

Harakou
Community Moderator

poemon1 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

Well, you first posted on the forums a little more than six months ago, (based on your register date) but I'm not sure if you've been active during all that time. (How exactly is "active on the forums" defined?)

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&return=image&link1=http://i.imgur.com/OZn2RD3.png&link2=http://i.imgur.com/duzaGTB.png&link3=http://i.imgur.com/CrDGvvZ.png&link4=http://i.imgur.com/POEpQyZ.png&link5=http://i.imgur.com/ZKJF8ac.png

#89 2011-07-18 16:58:06

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

*hides in corner*

"If I win the election, I will significantly reduce te amount of Jedward references in posts, and maybe eradicate them altogether." - Me

@cheddargirl - I know the community here realises I'm not a perfect citizen. My retaliation towards negative comments are my downfall, and I have argued/spammed/brought up inappropriate topics once or twice. However, I believe i I have regained enough reputation for me to be a valid candidate for the Moderator position. I understand that there is a time and place for goofing off and immaturity, however when dealing with potentially sensitive or serious subjects, I will be formal and ensure a sense of authority is present. As you can robably tell, I have the ability to alter my typing style to fit with the current situation; I can adopt a less-formal approach when necessary.  smile

Mnn... Past posts sometimes speak louder than speeches.  hmm

When picking a moderator candidate, I have a tendency to look the past posts to get an idea on how they react to tough situation. Just based on my opinion, I don't know if I've seen enough posts/comments from you that would otherwise show that you handle a tough situation on your own. Anybody can do the typical moderator stuff like clean up spam, remove swear words, move topics, and so on - but as the "Chronicles of a Moderator" thread show, it goes beyond that stuff and the position is not as easy as it looks. Long story short, I just want to see something from you, long-term, so I know that you would know how to act in different situations.

#90 2011-07-18 17:10:58

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

*hides in corner*

When picking a moderator candidate, I have a tendency to look the past posts to get an idea on how they react to tough situation. Just based on my opinion, I don't know if I've seen enough posts/comments from you that would otherwise show that you handle a tough situation on your own. Anybody can do the typical moderator stuff like clean up spam, remove swear words, move topics, and so on - but as the "Chronicles of a Moderator" thread show, it goes beyond that stuff and the position is not as easy as it looks. Long story short, I just want to see something from you, long-term, so I know that you would know how to act in different situations.

I know you might think I'm not mature enough to handle serious situations, but if you compare recent posts to posts in the past (those spammy ones that caused a ruckus, for example) I think you'll find I have matured; I am less childish, and particulary recently, I have made my posts more useful: focusing on quality.
In the next 3 days, I'm determined to prove to you and everyone else that \i canhandle the responsiibilty  smile

P.S. Sorry for typos, cant type properky because my fingers are bandage dup and it takes forever ti type  tongue

#91 2011-07-18 17:15:31

VanillaCreme
Scratcher

How do we vote?  smile

http://www.prguitarman.com/icon/poptartFINALTINY.gif
http://i49.tinypic.com/6yo39h.png

#92 2011-07-18 17:16:17

gettysburg11
Scratcher

VanillaCreme wrote:

How do we vote?  smile

The election will be on Thursday. Come back then to vote.  smile

#93 2011-07-18 17:17:49

VanillaCreme
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

VanillaCreme wrote:

How do we vote?  smile

The election will be on Thursday. Come back then to vote.  smile

Cool  big_smile

http://www.prguitarman.com/icon/poptartFINALTINY.gif
http://i49.tinypic.com/6yo39h.png

#94 2011-07-18 17:43:32

gettysburg11
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

If you don't mind me giving some advice for the speeches: Don't give a list of what moderators already do (like saying you'll remove commercial spam, or remove e-mails, or closing topics, or dealing with trolls, yada yada yada) - such things are already obvious and do not show much insight as to the role that community moderators take on. Instead give some ideas of what you would like to implement into the community.  wink

That's a good topic to think about. You can read my response here if you would like.

#95 2011-07-18 18:32:28

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

I know you might think I'm not mature enough to handle serious situations, but if you compare recent posts to posts in the past (those spammy ones that caused a ruckus, for example) I think you'll find I have matured; I am less childish, and particulary recently, I have made my posts more useful: focusing on quality.
In the next 3 days, I'm determined to prove to you and everyone else that \i canhandle the responsiibilty  smile

P.S. Sorry for typos, cant type properky because my fingers are bandage dup and it takes forever ti type  tongue

Mnn, no, I'm saying I don't see enough recent posts from you that would otherwise convince me that you could handle some of the things a moderator will face. Anybody can make a good quality post. I can't quite put my hand on it, but, I guess I'm trying to say I'm looking for something that goes above and beyond just making a good quality post.

If you want to see what I'm looking for (and this is what I'm looking for in all the potential candidates), try to take a look at some of the past posts and actions made by moderator before they became moderators - they've been active in trying to help out the community both on and off the forums (curators, wiki helpers, welcoming new Scratchers and helping them with scripting, for example).

Hence why I wish to see something for the long term, not just a change you adapt in three days in hopes for a candidacy.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2011-07-18 18:36:11)

#96 2011-07-18 18:46:02

Barf_Bag
Scratcher

I hope we get a good moderator!  big_smile

http://i56.tinypic.com/33tiavp.png

#97 2011-07-18 19:31:13

poemon1
Scratcher

Harakou wrote:

poemon1 wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Well, you first posted on the forums a little more than six months ago, (based on your register date) but I'm not sure if you've been active during all that time. (How exactly is "active on the forums" defined?)

active on forums means how long ago did i start posting forums

http://i47.tinypic.com/rrqe13.gif

#98 2011-07-18 20:26:59

Chrischb
Scratcher

Mean time, voting guide to avoid the people suddenly becoming more active to try and get elected: Click search, enter a candidate's username in the Author search bit, set the sort type to posts, and scan them with that  tongue

Last edited by Chrischb (2011-07-18 20:29:38)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#99 2011-07-18 20:37:53

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Mean time, voting guide to avoid the people suddenly becoming more active to try and get elected: Click search, enter a candidate's username in the Author search bit, set the sort type to posts, and scan them with that  tongue

And make sure you check the posts before the election was announced  tongue

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#100 2011-07-18 21:12:14

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

lol I realised that even if I did run, nobody would vote for me.

That's what I think about myself as well  tongue

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » Summer 2011 Scratch Community Moderator Elections: Discussion Thread

Board footer