This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2009-04-05 20:57:45

Scratcher

Re: Solution for Mac crashing when sharing

johnm wrote:

(I would guess that any program that tries to upload a large file to a website the the same parental control settings would also cause a crash.)

On the contrary, Apple made a program that is really plopular called iweb.app that never fails to upload a large chunk of data to a website, regardless of the parental controls. I tried the most recent version of scratch for the mac, scratch version 1.3.1, and it still has the same glitch. If anyone can look at the script for iWeb.app and fix the error in Scratch.app, please let me know!
I also tried opening scratch.image in Squeak, which is apparently the environment which scratch was programmed, and tried to upload there. There may be a more secure method of uploading but still having parental controls on if the programmers of scratch were to
a) fix Scratch.image and create Scratch.app based on that. This would probably require the least change.
b) fix Scratch.app . this is probably more complicated, but it may work.
c) allow users to upload on the website. This may take time, but if a user could choose a program with the extention ".sb", any computer could upload, and we users would not have to put in our password every time we want to upload a game. Unfortunately, this may make a way for hackers to program a virus with the ".sb" extention and claim that the "game" only works if it is downloaded. I suppose that this may be the least secure choice, but users may comment on the game or create a forum about which programs not to download due to the contents of a virus.

I am content with my parental controls, and know that I will not get off if there were no pop-up that announces that I am running out of time. I suppose the glitch may be caused by a different preference in parental controls, but one of the options above has to be done by the programmers if many other mac users and I want to upload projects
                      sincerely,

Last edited by 144 (2009-04-05 21:38:20)

#52 2009-04-07 16:24:43

Kraly
Scratcher

Hey Thanks for helping me it worked the first time but I think my dad  did something to change it I cant post projects!!!

#53 2009-04-16 17:15:21

DsGameMaker
Scratcher

Wow!This has never happened to me!

#54 2009-04-19 16:24:39

lol90
Scratcher

I think its like PC's BSOD.
1st time: Reset
2nd time: Fix Problem (Try)
3rd time or more: Find a repair man

Last edited by lol90 (2011-07-20 19:55:33)

#55 2009-05-03 18:44:04

drewsand
Scratcher

It crashed on us twice.  Both times just after we initiated the share.  We're on a newer iMac, 4G ram, running Leopard 10.5.6.  It does seem like it could be tied to the parental controls.  It would not work on the boys' profile, with the scratch site enabled.

I did log into the Admin and uploaded the files without a hitch.   We did just upload the files with Scratch 1.2.1
Has there been the same issues with 1.3.1?

#56 2009-05-04 18:26:46

SonicMariofan
Scratcher

since both versions of scratch upload through an http server then yes, the same issue occurs in 1.3.1

#57 2009-05-21 17:44:47

The-Whiz
Scratcher

This happened to me too. Thank you for sharing the solution. I have the parental controls on my account and i am running OS Leopard. I never would have figured this out.

#58 2009-05-23 08:09:33

SonicMariofan
Scratcher

While at MIT for scratch day I talked to Johnm about the problem. He said that it is apple's bug and they're the ones to fix it. The problem is that the Scratch team needs to prove apple that it is their bug. Because scratch is such a big program then there is no way to tell if it is apple's bug. But what the Scratch team is going to do is submit a small part of the program (the uploading part) and then it will prove it is apple's bug. The current solution, turn off the parental controls. Johnm had no idea when the bug would get fixed, but he did say that the more people complain to apple about it, the more likely they will fix it. Also there is a chance that Snow Leopard could fix the bug.
The best thing to do now is wait.

#59 2009-05-23 18:44:50

Gamexcb2
Scratcher

Thank you so much! I have been having so much trouble with this exact same problem! Thanks for the fix!

#60 2009-05-23 19:02:21

DawnLight
Scratcher

Gamexcb2 wrote:

Thank you so much! I have been having so much trouble with this exact same problem! Thanks for the fix!

Forums Pays Of Again!!!

#61 2009-05-25 10:49:00

coolperson
Scratcher

does it say anything before it crashes? because i had a similar problem where it said "the VM has created" and then the computer crashes. but the problem on yours is probably that because its a managed, the computer dosent want to allow your son to upload things onto the internet.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#62 2009-05-31 15:01:19

GEEKORAMA
Scratcher

Hmm, does Scratch work on all Macs?

#63 2009-06-18 10:19:03

JSO
Community Moderator

This topic is not stickied anymore, because it isn't being used frequently anymore.

But, of course, If you still want to share something that has to do with the subject, feel free to post!

Thank you and... Scratch on!

JSO

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#64 2009-06-18 10:39:29

coolstuff
Community Moderator

JSO wrote:

This topic is not stickied anymore, because it isn't being used frequently anymore.

But, of course, If you still want to share something that has to do with the subject, feel free to post!

Thank you and... Scratch on!

JSO

I think this was more of a reference than a usage topic. Please stick it back up, for such a frequently happening bug...

#65 2009-06-22 07:45:11

hirandomperson
Scratcher

delza wrote:

Hi folks,

Whenever my son tried to share a project recently, his computer crashed.  We're running on a fairly new Intel Mac with the latest version of the OS, all security and stability patches, everything up to date, and the latest version of Scratch.  This was a hard crash, had to restart the machine, and it happened every time.

I know other people have been having this problem too, so wanted to post how we've solved it for now. In one of the forums someone suggested that using the OS X "managed account" could be causing the problem.  So I turned off "managed account" for him and the problem stopped, at least we've been able to successfully share a test project.

There are a couple of further details.  First, my daughter also had a managed account, but with fewer restrictions.  She was not having this problem, but I haven't had time to track down what difference causes the crash.  Second, in the Console there were several warnings coming from Scratch about autoreleasing without an Autorelease pool being in place, just leaking.  These would be memory leaks from using Cocoa incorrectly.  I have no idea if it is related (probably not), but wanted to let the Scratch folk know.

I hope this helps others with the same problem.

well o do  have a ristricted acount

#66 2009-07-08 17:26:28

hirandomperson
Scratcher

SonicMariofan wrote:

The reason some people cant upload on Leopard is because they have a managed account, I think it has something to do with the web access. I also think that if you type in the address of the scratch server into the allowed sites then you can upload without having to turn the managed account off. Also checked the problem with the beta version of Scratch. Like I expected, the problem still continued. And most people think that when you upload your computer crashes. Its actually a Kernel Panic. More info on kernel panic can be found here. Also info on how to log a kernel panic can be found here.
http://km.support.apple.com/library/APP … 6227_3.jpg

i see the exat same thing when my comp crashes!

#67 2009-07-08 18:44:12

cbet
Scratcher

Today I came "discovered" a partial solution. In short I gave the scratch application read & write privileges to the admin user group through the "more info" dialog*.

This resulted in my daughter's account (under parental controls) being able to share simple projects. By simple I mean anything that does not include imported art or sounds.

The second we tried to upload a project containing imported music and images the machine crashes.

* Here are the steps I followed for anyone interested in trying this out:

- Make sure to test this on an account that is under parental controls.
- Make sure Scratch is not running.
- Go to the location where Scratch is installed (open it in finder).
- Click the icon once and click the "more info..." button.
- Confirm the lock in the bottom right corner of the "Scratch info" window is unlocked. If it's locked, click it and enter the admin password.
- Modify the "admin" group privilege from "Read" to "Read & Write."
- Click the lock again to prevent other changes.
- Open Scratch.
- Create a new project and draw something, a smiley face perhaps.
- Click to share and follow the normal steps.
- Your project should make it online and your mac should not crash.

Last edited by cbet (2009-07-08 18:44:57)

#68 2009-07-10 17:56:55

SonicMariofan
Scratcher

ok, I have found a possible fix using the new networking features in scratch 1.4

When you have a managed account all web traffic goes through a local Apache instance and an application called httpsproxyd. By setting the address of proxy filter setting in the scratch.ini file to the local address of the proxy filter then possibly this could be solved.

#69 2009-07-14 08:53:51

frogger3140
Scratcher

timothymh wrote:

This always happens to me too. HOWEVER:

1) I do not have parental controls on.
2) It does not crash; it has a kernel panic and displays Terminal-type stuff on the screen, ending with "We are hanging here..."  hmm   mad

-timothymh

We are hanging here?! I think Apple gone too far with the LOL stuff...SPARTA Inc. on System Profiler, and now this?!

http://j.mp/piBfFy
Woo, even better minecraft clone! | I feel that programming is better than animation, because you can interact with games but not animations.

#70 2009-12-13 20:15:55

somelia
Scratcher

This concludes to one thing: Macs stink. Go get a linux. (But my brother hogs the linux computer so I'm stuck with windows.)

#71 2009-12-13 20:42:26

hmnwilson
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

This concludes to one thing: Macs stink. Go get a linux. (But my brother hogs the linux computer so I'm stuck with windows.)

To you.  tongue

I'm taking a break from Scratch until 2.0 comes out. Any messages sent between then and now probably won't be read - sorry.
(Oct. 20, 2011)

#72 2010-01-07 14:06:35

AnimationMan
Scratcher

Mmm... My mac doesn't freeze?  neutral

I love my MacBook Pro!

#73 2010-01-15 18:42:31

SonicMariofan
Scratcher

any one still wondering about this problem, i have tested scratch on snow leopard with parental controls and it works fine

#74 2010-03-29 07:18:11

moltis
Scratcher

also protemac LoginTrap...I like

#75 2010-06-03 11:40:49

Finka
Scratcher

Thanks for advice, I tried LoginTrap, really cool)

Board footer