This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2011-05-24 15:30:18

Pecola1
Scratcher

Re: My E-mail to NAMCO

The reason why the scratch team took the project off even when it is legal could be because they wouldn't want to have to go to court.  hmm

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#102 2011-05-25 03:24:02

scimonster
Community Moderator

Pecola1 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Pecola1 wrote:

I am going to send an email:

[Long email.]

Tell me what you think.  smile

Evil is very strong.

What they did was very strong. Evil describes it very well.

No, evil is not that. Things like the Holocaust were evil. Murdering for fun is evil. Having a game removed is mean, but not evil.

#103 2011-06-01 23:46:08

a1130
Scratcher

fire219 wrote:

Hello Namco-Bandai,

As you are aware of (and if not, have been reminded by other e-mails), that you sent a DMCA notice to the Scratch Team requiring them to remove 124scratch's Pac-man project. This would be fine with me, the Scratch Team, and all of the other 200,000+ "Scratchers", if you had also sent DMCA notices to the thousands of free flash versions of Pac-man that are all over the internet. But instead, you targeted 124scratch's project only, and angered the before-mentioned 200,000+ Scratchers, and probably made sure that they will no longer buy any of your products.

One thing you may have overlooked is Scratch is for educational purposes, and therefore is protected by Fair Use. Fair Use allows copyrighted materials to be used for educational purposes. Since 124scratch shared the project with others, there is no doubt that the project was protected by Fair Use. Also, the project did not, and would not affect the financial strength and integrity of the Namco-Bandai company or brand. In fact, the financial strength of Namco-Bandai is more likely to suffer from the 200,000+ Scratchers not buying your products.

One last thing is that people, especially kids, learn best from copying their favorite thing or game. As you can see from how most, if not all, of 124scratch's projects are inspired by Pac-Man.

As you see,  124scratch's project was not infringing copyright law, or Namco-Bandai's intellectual property. It was quite wrong for you to send that DMCA notice, and may even have broken a few laws yourselves.

Sincerely,
Matthew (last name here) (fire219 on Scratch)   

What do you guys think?

Nice!

#104 2011-06-02 04:26:39

ssss
Scratcher

Has Namco replied to any of these yet?  If not, we should all make pacman projects  big_smile

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

#105 2011-06-02 08:31:05

fire219
Scratcher

ssss wrote:

Has Namco replied to any of these yet?  If not, we should all make pacman projects  big_smile

No response to my email.

@a1130 Thanks!  big_smile

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/img.php?name=fire219

#106 2011-06-11 09:31:07

ssss
Scratcher

fire219 wrote:

ssss wrote:

No response to my email.

@a1130 Thanks!  big_smile

Alright, I think I'm going to right my own email then xd..

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

Board footer