This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2011-07-05 13:51:25

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Re: Scratch 2.0 Update: Moving to the Cloud

BoltBait wrote:

I would like to hear from the Scratch Team:  In your opinion, was there any value in seeing those projects over just seeing the final project?

That's a hard question to answer definitively.

There could be value in allowing others to see more of the process that went into creating the project. I often get the sense that Scratchers assume that a complex well made project just leapt fully-formed from the mind of the creator. But high-quality projects take time and energy, so making more of the project's history or process available might help clarify this for Scratchers who don't have confidence in their ability to make a complex well designed project. It gives them a chance to see the mistakes and blind-alleys that their heros had to struggle through to make their awesome project.

But we could also make this visible by allowing Scratchers to view the "history" or "versions" of a published project - so this issue might be a bit different than private / public projects.

In any case, the consensus right now is that making works in progress visible is too problematic, so we're thinking that they'll be private. However, this means we have to do more security work on the back-end to prevent people from using Scratch in ways that could be dangerous or hurtful to kids or to the community / project. If ScratcherX makes an unpublished work in progress that's way too violent, and then shares their password with ScratcherY so they can view it, who is ScratcherY's mom going to blame for showing her kid a disturbing project that no one could see to flag?  Probably Scratch. And of course a worse scenario would be if an internet creep used a private channel to communicate with a kid.  Unlikely, but we have to design ways of preventing this.

So - the cost of having some portions of the site be private - even to the account owner alone - is that we have to do some work to prevent the sharing of accounts, which probably won't be as easy as one might imagine.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#127 2011-07-05 14:47:55

scimonster
Community Moderator

Lightnin wrote:

BoltBait wrote:

I would like to hear from the Scratch Team:  In your opinion, was there any value in seeing those projects over just seeing the final project?

That's a hard question to answer definitively.

There could be value in allowing others to see more of the process that went into creating the project. I often get the sense that Scratchers assume that a complex well made project just leapt fully-formed from the mind of the creator. But high-quality projects take time and energy, so making more of the project's history or process available might help clarify this for Scratchers who don't have confidence in their ability to make a complex well designed project. It gives them a chance to see the mistakes and blind-alleys that their heros had to struggle through to make their awesome project.

But we could also make this visible by allowing Scratchers to view the "history" or "versions" of a published project - so this issue might be a bit different than private / public projects.

In any case, the consensus right now is that making works in progress visible is too problematic, so we're thinking that they'll be private. However, this means we have to do more security work on the back-end to prevent people from using Scratch in ways that could be dangerous or hurtful to kids or to the community / project. If ScratcherX makes an unpublished work in progress that's way too violent, and then shares their password with ScratcherY so they can view it, who is ScratcherY's mom going to blame for showing her kid a disturbing project that no one could see to flag?  Probably Scratch. And of course a worse scenario would be if an internet creep used a private channel to communicate with a kid.  Unlikely, but we have to design ways of preventing this.

So - the cost of having some portions of the site be private - even to the account owner alone - is that we have to do some work to prevent the sharing of accounts, which probably won't be as easy as one might imagine.

I think it should: I've quit a couple projects because I got bored of working on them.

So... like... when it gets uploaded, all the saved versions do too?

Did you see what I wrote on the previous page?

Well, some people share accounts for collabs, or stuff like the Block Library. My solution:
Gmail has a thing where you can have access to another account, and when you send from your other account while logged into the main account, it says something like "Sent by A1 on behalf of A2" (A# stands for "account #").
So, if a project was uploaded, it would say, for example:

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/icons/buddy/_sm.png RandomUser123 shared it on behalf of SharedAccountByRandomGuys 5 days, 3 hours ago

Same with comments.

Forum posts would be:

RandomUser123 on behalf of SharedAccountByRandomGuys
Scratcher, Scratcher

Edits would be like this:

Last edited by RandomUser123 on behalf of SharedAccountByRandomGuys (2011-10-25 00:00:00)

What do you think of these?

Last edited by scimonster (2011-07-06 03:31:58)

#128 2011-08-01 10:55:37

mrsrec
Scratcher

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

For one thing, it won’t be necessary to download and install Scratch to try it out.

Does this mean there won't be an app to download? I would like it if we had Scratch in the cloud and an app... I don't always have internet when I want to work on a project. Maybe there could be a feature to sync your Cloud projects with your computer...? I don't know how difficult that would be to program though... (I take CompSci so I understand a bit of this all  wink  )

I think he/she means that it will run in a web browser, just not online. as in "Scratch.html" instead of "Scratch.image" 

Scratchy Scratcher Scratched Scratch Scratches When He Scratchy Scratches Scratch Projects. These Scratch Projects Were Started From Scratch.
http://internetometer.com/image/37716.png

#129 2011-08-02 19:42:27

soupoftomato
Scratcher

No.

It could reveal projects before the person wants them seen, personal projects (for whatever reason) could be seen.

Making a draft would be just like making a full project which is kind of silly.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#130 2011-08-04 07:33:17

samurai768
Scratcher

Arrgh! Stop teasing us  tongue  I can't wait  smile

I really hope that mesh is included in Scratch 2.0 cuz I have a really good idea for a project ^^; If it doesn't have mesh, it won't work  tongue

Last edited by samurai768 (2011-08-04 07:34:37)

#131 2011-08-04 18:28:42

oreo37
Scratcher

i you let any one see any thing peploe will just make their project localey which willl waste their time thats why  i think scartchers should be able to chose who to share it with wether i be friends  friends  and friends  of friends  eveyone or just them

#132 2011-08-04 20:25:59

epic-ninja
Scratcher

I DON'T think scratchers should be able to see other scratchers projects before the project is finished, it would ruin the surprise.

"I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toys were a toaster and a radio."
-Joan Rivers

#133 2011-08-04 20:28:33

Death_Wish
Scratcher

I think when you upload the project, you should be able to choose either to have the code be viewable or not  tongue

With a straight flush.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FlUhnzmIROE/TgtpjdJl4tI/AAAAAAAABCM/W19pvFTZFaU/s1600/save_the_world.png http://blocsonic.com/images/special/rip-stevejobs.jpg

#134 2011-08-18 11:57:36

SuperC23
New Scratcher

I think there should be a button to "post as draft" meaning people can see the code and help you out, but it wouldn't be in the same place as your finished projects.

#135 2011-08-27 13:05:03

geo1088
Scratcher

I'm yes and no on this. Not right off the bat would you be able to see them, but you should be able to put them out there on your own. Also, you should be able to allow certain users to see one of your unfinished projects at a time and edit certain parts of that project, like a Development Team.

#136 2011-09-04 23:27:18

ZachAttack
Scratcher

I dont think that people should be able to see other people projects, unless they're friends or something.
I have so many unfinished scratch projects, and some stuff i want to be a surprise to the community, that no, not unless they're friends.

#137 2011-09-05 00:06:41

XUDI
Scratcher

I think there should be a button to allow or disallow. Then people might steal scripts without giving credit ):

#138 2011-10-10 15:32:07

dumbguy2000
Scratcher

I think that scratchers should chose whether or not others could see their drafts.

this is just a test
[blocks] <my opinion <=> yes> [/blocks]

#139 2011-10-11 12:50:45

Venazard
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Also, "private" projects would display under a user's projects, however it would not show on the front page (perhaps with the exception of friend's latest projects? - not sure).

Or maybe a "Friends Latest Drafts" if they share it as 'public'?

http://nitrostudios.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/1/2/6812574/1323469851.png

#140 2011-10-11 12:58:53

Servine
Scratcher

The user should be able to choose whether that project could be seen as a draft or not.

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/?name=Servine

#141 2011-10-13 15:40:59

legoscratch
Scratcher

I think that it should be shown in a different place.  I like the way Glogster deals with this: you can choose to share as a public or private draft, or a finished product.

If you are having trouble with simple counting, use the following mnemonic device: 1 comes before 2 comes before 5,280 comes before 523,860,759 comes after the square root of -153 comes before π. This will make your previous counting problems seem like no big deal.

#142 2011-10-14 12:16:43

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

When is the next blog update? We Scratchers have been waiting since July!

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#143 2011-10-15 14:21:41

NeilWest
Scratcher

I'd think it should have a offline version, but also a online version. The online version would be a easier and quicker way to remix projects as well.

#144 2011-10-17 15:32:38

LFOB
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

I think they should not.
Maybe there could be a beta test setting, where a randomly selected group of scratchers (everyone could join the beta testing queue) could see the program (they would sign up and select the tags that they're most interested in). This way, a few beta testers could see the project without showing it to the entire community.

Also, is there a scratch 2.0 screenshot that I can see and we can use for mockups?

I agree, only you should be able to pick the beta testers. And also, there's a screenshot on the wiki.

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/LFOB/2413118_med.png  http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/LFOB/2255829_med.png

#145 2011-10-28 19:43:06

JoLLDS
Scratcher

http://suggest.scratch.mit.edu/forums/60449-suggestions/suggestions/2353146-increase-the-memory-limit-on-the-site

#146 2011-10-28 20:06:42

rabbit1131
Scratcher

LFOB wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

I think they should not.
Maybe there could be a beta test setting, where a randomly selected group of scratchers (everyone could join the beta testing queue) could see the program (they would sign up and select the tags that they're most interested in). This way, a few beta testers could see the project without showing it to the entire community.

Also, is there a scratch 2.0 screenshot that I can see and we can use for mockups?

I agree, only you should be able to pick the beta testers. And also, there's a screenshot on the wiki.

This. And I REALLY want a screenshot.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#147 2011-10-28 22:25:50

henley
Scratcher

rabbit1131 wrote:

LFOB wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

I think they should not.

This. And I REALLY want a screenshot.

My special common sense is telling me that to find the screenshot, you should go to the Scratch wiki. Just a guess though. Not very many people these days listen to common sense.

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#148 2011-10-29 20:13:41

anuw
Scratcher

In my opinion, it should be so that you can choose whether to allow people to see the project or not, when ur working on it. It could also be like when adding projects to a gallery, only people in scratch to see ur draft. (Eg: Friends list, ignore list, all scratchers.) This can allow for easy collabs, keeping projects secret, except for your friends (vise versa) Hope you take this into consideration  smile

http://lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg Lolwut?

#149 2011-10-29 21:54:20

videogame9_test
Scratcher

JoLLDS wrote:

http://suggest.scratch.mit.edu/forums/60449-suggestions/suggestions/2353146-increase-the-memory-limit-on-the-site

Try compressing your sounds.

#150 2011-10-30 19:16:49

sara213
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

"What do you think? Should Scratchers be able to see each other’s draft projects?"

I think it should be the scratchers choice on who they share there unfinished projects with. It will make collabs easier if it is all online. A offline version should be available too, maybe one which syncs with the online version.

Last edited by sara213 (2011-10-30 19:17:25)

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/669840.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/750405.png
Feed, Click, View, Whatever! If you are on Egg Cave send me message saying you are on Scratch and add me as a friend.

Board footer