This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-06-05 14:32:04

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

My Year 6 Animation Project

For newbies who haven't seen other thread - I'm running an animation project for my Year 6 ICT class.

Well programming is finally underway!

Most groups (Troy/Dinosaurs/Aztecs) have opted to use Scratch as their main animation tool - Egyptians opted to go for stop-go camera animation with Digital Blue equipment.

All 3 Scratch groups started coding today for about 30 mins and all got something going - at the minimum they had designed and painted costumes or imported images from Internet.

The Aztecs produced a title opening sequence and a short sequence with a body on an altar being stabbed by the high priest!

And the best thing - no-one asked me one single question on how to do it - nothing at all.

(plenty on the Digital Blue stuff mind!)

I am a happy person  smile

regards
Simon
Didn't have time to get them to upload work to our VLE so I can't access them from home but I'll try and get stuff up in a gallery next week.

Thanks for all the ideas  smile

#2 2008-06-05 15:11:22

Bluestribute
Scratcher

Re: My Year 6 Animation Project

I wish I went to those schools where you're required to use Scratch. If I use it at my school, I get in trouble  sad   mad

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#3 2008-06-05 17:56:06

dbal
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

I wish I went to those schools where you're required to use Scratch. If I use it at my school, I get in trouble  sad   mad

Just out of curiosity, what are you required to use at your school?

Dick Baldwin - Don't get stuck scratching. When you master Scratch, move on up to more serious programming languages. Free online programming tutorials:
Scratch - Alice - Java - C# - C++ - JavaScript - XML - Python - DSP

#4 2008-06-05 17:59:03

Bluestribute
Scratcher

dbal wrote:

Bluestribute wrote:

We don't even have a class remotely like Scratch. The closest thing we use is probably... powerpoint. But i make some projects i nScratch, and sometiems when were in the library and no on is looking, my friends and I go on Scratch and Freewebs and stuff.

That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#5 2008-06-06 01:38:17

Jens
Scratcher

*Powerpoint* [sneer].
They actually give courses and award "certificates" to folks passing exams on what happens if you press "F5" on your keyboard, here too. If they ever try doing that to my kids I'll probably just ... (confront them with Scratch?)

Jens Mönig

#6 2008-06-06 01:40:03

Bluestribute
Scratcher

I always think it's unfair, bu then again, I think I'm the only one in my community who knows about this (beside 1 friend). It's a small community, but our school is supposed to be so good...

#7 2008-06-06 01:47:16

Bluestribute
Scratcher

And not to spam, but your an experienced "Scratchr". Can you take a look at my game and give some feedback (even though you probably hate Pokemon) http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Bluestribute/181714 Thanks Jens!

#8 2008-06-06 01:58:17

dbal
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

dbal wrote:

Bluestribute wrote:

We don't even have a class remotely like Scratch. The closest thing we use is probably... powerpoint. But i make some projects i nScratch, and sometiems when were in the library and no on is looking, my friends and I go on Scratch and Freewebs and stuff.

Do you have a programming class at your school?

Dick Baldwin - Don't get stuck scratching. When you master Scratch, move on up to more serious programming languages. Free online programming tutorials:

#9 2008-06-06 02:00:49

Bluestribute
Scratcher

dbal wrote:

Bluestribute wrote:

dbal wrote:

Do you have a programming class at your school?

Tsk, no! The closest we have is a keyboarding class! But we live kinda close to a community college that teaches it web design. My mom is taking it, and I'll probably end up tutoring her. And (not to spam again) now that you're on, can you check out my game? I want some experienced Scratchrs to look at it and give some feedback

#10 2008-06-06 07:34:48

Bobby500
Scratcher

I am taking programming next year at my school, so hopfully I will be able to learn a new language and become multi-progamlingal!  tongue

#11 2008-06-06 08:27:38

Lanie
Scratcher

My High school doesn't even know about Scratch which is SAD! I told my Visual Basics teacher and he said this: "I remember to much programming codes and stuff i dont have time to" something like that, i just think its a poor excuse and he is missing out on so much stuff

#12 2008-06-19 15:12:31

piplupquaza
Scratcher

Lanie wrote:

My High school doesn't even know about Scratch which is SAD! I told my Visual Basics teacher and he said this: "I remember to much programming codes and stuff i dont have time to" something like that, i just think its a poor excuse and he is missing out on so much stuff

oh no lanie! you need to tell everybody whats new and cool now! (scratch of course!  smile  )

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~aoi-k/scribble/scrib251.gif Look at the little dudes dance!!! 
Ultimate game for sonic fans here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/piplupquaza/143340

#13 2008-06-19 15:29:39

dbal
Scratcher

piplupquaza wrote:

Lanie wrote:

oh no lanie! you need to tell everybody whats new and cool now! (scratch of course!  smile  )

Scratch is cool and it is a lot of fun.  However, if you have Computer Science aspirations in the U.S., by the time you reach high school, you should be learning to program in Java and preparing yourself to successfully complete the Computer Science Advanced Placement exams in the college or university of your choice.

But don't forget Scratch altogether.  Keep it available to play with during down time when you are tired of studying and want to have some fun.

Last edited by dbal (2008-06-19 15:30:08)

#14 2008-06-20 13:30:51

Dylan123
Scratcher

Did you know more 7 and younger kids come to this website to learn programming and art. They are leaving Kid Pix!  lol

#15 2008-06-20 16:05:57

JSO
Community Moderator

Jens wrote:

*Powerpoint* [sneer].
They actually give courses and award "certificates" to folks passing exams on what happens if you press "F5" on your keyboard, here too. If they ever try doing that to my kids I'll probably just ... (confront them with Scratch?)

Same here...

Normally we start with programming (visual basic for ms access, just too classic) when we're 16. Crazy. Probably some teachers are still in DOS ages. Some og them may think programming is "too difficult". You know, they probably ever learned machine language  tongue

I tried several times, just asking over and over. Didn't seem to work...

A few weeks ago i used the hard way  big_smile . We had to do a speech - we where able to choose our subject. Guess once? Scratch. However, he seemed to like it: i got 90% (believe me, normally its 75)

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#16 2008-06-20 16:32:05

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

*Powerpoint* [sneer].

lol. exactly, jens!  same here. somewhere along the line middle schools in the US decided that "computer classes" should focus on taking picture with a cheap 2MB camera (yay! digital media!), applying a photoshop filter to it (gotta love "emboss"), then uploading it into some microsoft webpage building template monstrosity to show to your parents (who, if they're over a certain age, will probably be impressed). if you're lucky, and your school has a macromedia license, you get to make a twenty-frame flash movie (no actionscript allowed, of course).

that's why i'm really hoping scratch catches on, especially for grades 3-6. most 9th graders can take java or c++ in their high schools, and by then a lot of the future programming types have played around with action script or alice or something by 7th/8th grade (or have spent hours making their own super mario world hacks using grey market ROM files).

Last edited by chalkmarrow (2008-06-20 16:44:40)

#17 2008-07-15 15:28:09

karx
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

In our school scratch was a project for a term and were aloud to use it whenever we finish work.

Board footer