This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2011-03-31 15:26:37

scimonster
Community Moderator

Re: Scratch 2.0 Progress Report: Create your own block

^Like.

#52 2011-03-31 15:27:42

Lightnin
Scratch Team

johnnydean1 wrote:

Hows this for an idea.

After sounds, a new tab will be added (Talking about scripting, costumes, sound tabs). It should be called 'blocks'. All blocks made here will be exported with a sprite. On the stage the tab will also exist, offering  'global blocks' or blocks that do NOT get exported. These blocks can be used by all sprites, and can include motion blocks (which the stage does not normally have). If you export the stage (as a sprite) all the global blocks will also get exported.

This could work ok - it's actually  sort of like BYOB, except the block definitions are stored in individual dialog boxes. This wouldn't allow you to see the created block and the block definition at the same time though, since they would appear on different tabs.

The stage is already a unique class of sprite, so giving it the job of holding global blocks might make sense.  You'd want the design to indicate that block definitions there are "global" in some way... not sure how to do that, but it should be possible.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#53 2011-03-31 15:30:03

scimonster
Community Moderator

In the Stage it should say "Global Blocks," in Sprites "Local Blocks."

Crazy neighbors, setting off fireworks/firecrackers right next to us.  mad  Woke up my little sister.

#54 2011-03-31 21:14:24

johnm
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

Cool! I can't wait to finally play with this in Scratch. I especially love how Scratch follows BYOB's "inline palette" design for formal parameter blocks. Two questions, though:

1. Will there be functions, i.e. custom reporter blocks too?
2. Will the custom block scripts run interleafed or all at once ("atomic")?

Hi, Jens.

We were definitely inspired by BYOB's handling of formal parameter blocks. Thanks for the great idea!

For Scratch 2.0, we're planning to support user-defined command blocks, but not custom reporter blocks. But you can do a surprising amount with only command blocks, including recursion and even functions (by using a global variable for the return value).

The "atomic" checkbox in BYOB is unobtrusive yet powerful. We haven't yet discussed including a similar feature in Scratch 2.0, but I think it's worth considering.

#55 2011-03-31 21:20:17

johnm
Scratcher

dav09 wrote:

Nice! I would like to know is jens working on this too?

Jens is not working directly on this, but his work with Brian Harvey on BYOB has clearly influenced our thinking about user-defined blocks.

#56 2011-03-31 21:23:30

johnm
Scratcher

webstermath wrote:

After writing the block the code is stored in a header if it is global and a footer if it is local.  In the script area there is a bar right below the "Script Costumes Sound" tabs with a "show/hide global block script" option.  After clicking "show", you are able to scroll above the bar and see and edit the code of every global block.  At the bottom of the script area there is a bar with a  "show/hide local block script".  Clicking on show for this bar reveals the code for local blocks below.  There should also be show/hide block script options when you right click the script area and when you click on "Edit" at the top.

Again when I have the time I will try to make a mockup.  However,  I am hoping this description is clear enough to suffice for now  smile

Very clear. Thanks!

#57 2011-03-31 21:34:40

johnm
Scratcher

bananaman114 wrote:

I tried to re-download Flash with the link on the Flash player, but when I tried it on a project, it didn't work.

You may need to enable Flash in your browser settings. If you are using Internet Explorer, this article may help:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

Please post here if you figure out how to fix this problem; I know that others have had this problem and could use help.

#58 2011-03-31 21:35:21

Lucario621
Community Moderator

johnm wrote:

Jens wrote:

Cool! I can't wait to finally play with this in Scratch. I especially love how Scratch follows BYOB's "inline palette" design for formal parameter blocks. Two questions, though:

1. Will there be functions, i.e. custom reporter blocks too?
2. Will the custom block scripts run interleafed or all at once ("atomic")?

Hi, Jens.

We were definitely inspired by BYOB's handling of formal parameter blocks. Thanks for the great idea!

For Scratch 2.0, we're planning to support user-defined command blocks, but not custom reporter blocks. But you can do a surprising amount with only command blocks, including recursion and even functions (by using a global variable for the return value).

The "atomic" checkbox in BYOB is unobtrusive yet powerful. We haven't yet discussed including a similar feature in Scratch 2.0, but I think it's worth considering.

I agree that perhaps adding reporter blocks would be a bit difficult for new scratchers to use. But either way there are still many possibilities! Perhaps if this small step works well in Scratch 2.0, than we could also try reporters for a later version, after all  wink

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#59 2011-03-31 21:37:33

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Lightnin wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

My current perspective without too much thought is that it should be fine to have all blocks as being global. People won't be making blocks as much as they are making variables - at least I assume. By that I mean it's more likely for somebody to have 20 variables in a project than 20 custom blocks. That's just my opinion however.

That was my initial take too - but what happens with sprite importing / exporting?

What happens if I export my gobo sprite, change the global custom block it uses, and then re-import it into the same original project (that already has a global custom block with the same name)?

I guess we'd have to have a way to sort out the conflicts.... or at least pick which global custom block gets to overwrite the other. Not impossible, but kinda ugly....

Whereas if we have local and global blocks, you'd just be importing / exporting local blocks. Not sure what you'd do if the sprite you were exporting used / depended on a global custom block.... maybe change it to a local block and copy it to the sprite? That's not very pretty either...

Perhaps it should give some message while importing asking for you to choose one of the scripts or include both of them, but one on the side and not attached to the block hat, so you can perhaps mix them manually.

#60 2011-03-31 21:48:39

johnm
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Perhaps if this small step works well in Scratch 2.0, than we could also try reporters for a later version, after all  wink

That's a possibility! :-)

I should mention that user-defined reporters have impacts performance and the concurrency mechanism, so there are some technical reasons to not include that feature in Scratch 2.0. (Incidentally, I've really been enjoying the 50x performance increase provided by the Flash-based Scratch player in Turbo Mode...)

Last edited by johnm (2011-03-31 21:49:45)

#61 2011-03-31 21:56:04

johnm
Scratcher

Thanks for the great suggestions for where to store user-defined block definitions. All of the ideas have merit, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of them ends up in Scratch 2.0.

#62 2011-03-31 22:14:24

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Do you guys think there will be any Scratch 2.0 demos at Scratch Day this year?  smile

#63 2011-03-31 22:21:36

bbbeb
Scratcher

No offense, but BYOB's function editor isn't too good for transitioning into a typed language.

There is no GUI for that.... just to say it...

Back in my day.... there were no laws that censored the internet... now, there are.... nah.

#64 2011-04-01 21:03:46

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Well I think it should be kind of like BYOB by Jens.

#65 2011-04-01 23:25:51

bbbeb
Scratcher

IMO it should be like
[ [block here] as [ v]]

whereas the dropdown says:

private (or for this sprite)
public (or global)

That would fit well.

Back in my day.... there were no laws that censored the internet... now, there are.... nah.

#66 2011-04-02 13:05:28

Nuttlajer
Scratcher

This is an awesome addition to Scratch.

http://i55.tinypic.com/9sci2a.png

#67 2011-04-02 17:10:04

colabcalub
Scratcher

Maybe something like webstermath's idea, but global blocks and local blocks are both in drop downs of their own. Also, giving the option of either code (put in codes to verify how the block would work) or script (put in original block from lists to make scripts plus an add block here block which on the final block spec would put a holder shaped like a command block to replace all put block here blocks in the final block script (you could have multiple put block here holders and/or connector block holders and/or variable block holders)).

I could help you out here.

http://i50.tinypic.com/x45f9j.png
Are you?

#68 2011-04-03 12:52:02

djembii
New Scratcher

I'm quite new to Scratch, but I've some experience in education primary school childs in IT. I'd like to share some of my ideas about procedures an visibility.
I would like to have variables

1) which are global, as the ones we have already
2) which are accessible within a sprite only
3) which are accessible within in a procedure only.

So I would ask, when a new variable is created, in which of these areas the variable is to be created. The variable palette may be divided as well in these 3 parts. This is useful if you like explain the concepts of global an local to the childs. For the access those are visible only, which may be selectable (within a procedure or a skript of the sprite).

As well for the procedures the same 3 visibilities may be useful. They could be choosed as well when they are created. The global visibility would offer messaging between sprites, where an access to local variable within the procedure would be possible as well. For the procedures the proposed block palette (though I would call it different then) would be nice.

I'm not sure if I've understood enough of the scratch concept, that these ideas are useful, but I hope they will be.

By the way: Who is responsible for the WeDo plugin and where to ask for extensions (access of more than one USB-Hub) here?

#69 2011-04-04 17:23:56

BoltBait
Scratcher

Before writing new features, can you fix the list resize issue?

*as seen here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/BoltBait/515051 and here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/BoltBait/1516358.

Animated sigs must be banned!
http://boltbait.com/j.pnghttp://boltbait.com/s.pnghttp://boltbait.com/d.pnghttp://boltbait.com/a.pnghttp://boltbait.com/p.png

#70 2011-04-04 18:40:39

pieclip
Scratcher

Good, finally some object oriented programming. I guess it will make the transition from Scratch to real programming easier of a lot of people.

#71 2011-04-04 18:43:59

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

you could have a seperate section in the block area for custom made blocks. or when you make new ones you can choose what section to put them under. sorry if this has been said- i only read the first post!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#72 2011-04-04 19:07:28

Billybob-Mario
Scratcher

This has been around forever in BYOB and related mods such as Slash.

#73 2011-04-04 19:13:05

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Billybob-Mario wrote:

This has been around forever in BYOB and related mods such as Slash.

But I believe this may be the first time the idea will be implemented in a super-accessible form. All the other modifications are fantastic; however, they're quite complicated and have all these other bells and whistles that nobody who hasn't read the manual will understand. Whereas the modifications are targeted more towards experienced users, hopefully the implementation of this feature will finally bring the basic visual-style simplicity of Scratch closer to the power of the modifications.

Phew, that's a mouthful.

#74 2011-04-04 20:35:52

thebuilderdd
Scratcher

Will it be simple like BYOB or hard like panther?

#75 2011-04-04 22:04:47

ihaveamac
Scratcher

thebuilderdd wrote:

Will it be simple like BYOB or hard like panther?

Scratch wants to stay simple like BYOB. If it was hard like panther there could be trouble. Exploits!

~ihaveamac - visit ihaveamac.net

Board footer