This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-06-05 16:25:44

Shanesta
Scratcher

Is there a way to stop a glide to function?

I can't seem to get it to stop a glide to function. Anyone know of a way to make this work?
You can interupt it with another glide function,  but I wan to be able to just stop it in its tracks.

#2 2007-06-05 17:00:09

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: Is there a way to stop a glide to function?

I was going to suggest
   glide 0.001 secs to x: x position y: y position
but there does not seem to be any way to stop a glide other than stop-all.

You may have to replace your glide with a repeat-until loop, including a test for stopping on each pass through the loop.

#3 2007-06-05 18:06:16

DrJim
Scratcher

kevin_karplus' suggestion seems to work if, instead of using a very short glide time, you make the glide time longer than the original glide time.

#4 2007-06-05 23:45:39

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I'm not sure DrJim's suggestion is robust.  What happens is you have two glides running at once, and I don't think there is any guarantee that the later one wins---there may be flicker between the two.  The exact definition of glide is not available, so I don't know whether this will always work, sometimes work, or rarely work.  It also means that you can't move again until the longer glide finishes.

Still, it seems like it might be a good trick.

#5 2007-06-06 12:59:49

DrJim
Scratcher

kevin_karplus wrote:

I'm not sure DrJim's suggestion is robust .... The exact definition of glide is not available, so I don't know whether this will always work, sometimes work, or rarely work ...

Like I said - it "seems" to work. 

Is there a technical description of the Scratch commands anywhere that has the level of specification detail needed to figure out under exactly what conditions something like this will work?

My guess is that any command "runs" until it times out and that the last command "started" controls motion.  When it times out, the next most recent command still "active" takes over, etc., etc.  You could thus have many actions pending and/or interrupted.

Two problems:
1. This is just a "guess"
2. This particular description is horribly imprecise, not to mention poorly written. Hopefully someone who really understands the commands can do a better job.

#6 2007-06-06 15:27:19

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I suspect that the behavior is *actually* as well as *formally* undefined.  That is, I think it depends on details of the scheduling mechanism for the threads, and that the behavior may be different for the same same script depending what else is being scheduled.

Board footer