This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1126 2011-06-03 15:41:53

YourLocalBlockLib
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Welcome to your local block library!

.                              http://welcometoyourlocalblocklibrary.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/1/0/7110842/292223741.gif

BYOB blocks added: [1]
http://i.imgur.com/JIDpE.gif by SSBBM

Other updates: [2]
I apparently forgot to add Jman13's cube block. It is added now.
Re-did the BYOB part of the statistics page with right numbers. We have 126 blocks, not 129.

Update carried out by block librarian: SSBBM
________________________________________________________________________________
^home
^updates archive

Last edited by YourLocalBlockLib (2011-06-03 15:42:12)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6273449/BlockLibraryTitle.png

#1127 2011-06-04 19:29:19

jslomba
Scratcher

new scratch block:http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5/6/7156046/8588685.gif
blockspec:

Code:

('if online then stop' #- #ifOnlineThenStop)

Code:

ifOnlineThenStop
| t1 t2 t3 |
t1_t2

the the the the the

#1128 2011-06-04 22:19:58

Pecola1
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

YourLocalBlockLib wrote:

.                              http://welcometoyourlocalblocklibrary.w … 223741.gif

Scratch blocks added: [1]
http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5 … 925713.gif By jslomba

Update carried out by block librarian: TheSuccessor
________________________________________________________________________________
^home
^updates archive

Can you add {made with Scramble} below it? Because it was...

How do you know it was?
And I don't think we need to. ^^
EDIT: Whoa, you just got the 1100th post on this topic!

It used i4, rather than t4. I agree we don't have to add it.  smile

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#1129 2011-06-04 22:21:18

Pecola1
Scratcher

meowmeow55 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

The call is Anmat:Anmat:..., which is exactly how Scramble puts it. Just add 'A Scramble block' below it.

Code:

[url=http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63753][color=grey]A Scramble block[/color][/url]

A Scramble block

Oh.
@Librarians: Should we?

It's only fair. It was made with Hardmath's program, so he should get some credit. And what logical person would name their method with the same abbreviation over and over?  tongue

But when it is made with a program, that doesn't make it the program creators actual block, so I vote no.

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#1130 2011-06-04 22:22:41

Pecola1
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Considering the amount of time we have put into categorising, labelling and displaying blocks including how-to tutorials and help topics means to me that the Block Library is all about sharing blocks and making the creation and use of those blocks as easy as possible. Scramble is a system that makes Scratch block creation that much easier. It is also created by Hardmath, who has been a contributor here for some time. For these reasons I would say that the library should support Scramble is a system. I would certainly like to see Scramble become more developed as it is a little limiting at the moment but I can see it going far!

I agree.

#1131 2011-06-04 22:24:49

Pecola1
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

sparks wrote:

Considering the amount of time we have put into categorising, labelling and displaying blocks including how-to tutorials and help topics means to me that the Block Library is all about sharing blocks and making the creation and use of those blocks as easy as possible. Scramble is a system that makes Scratch block creation that much easier. It is also created by Hardmath, who has been a contributor here for some time. For these reasons I would say that the library should support Scramble is a system. I would certainly like to see Scramble become more developed as it is a little limiting at the moment but I can see it going far!

Thanks you Sparks!

I'd also like to make one more request...

Scramble 2.0, releasing soon, will have a 'custom blocks' function, where you can add custom blocks to your copy of Scramble, and use them over and over in your blocks (they may be saved using cookies, that's still under development). Basically, you input a scrambleSpec and a scrambleScript (1 line and 10-ish lines, respectively), that Scramble uses to produce blocks.
I was wondering if you could add a Scramble Commands Library. It doesn't need to be <i>nearly</i> as fancy, because a) blocks don't have to be categorized, they all go under Custom Blocks, b) blocks don't need images, just text, and c) well... here's how I can imagine a mockup:

Square root
What it does: sets a variable to its square root.

Code:

<br><input type="radio" name="commands" value="sqrt" onclick="setBlockVal(this.value)">Square root

Code:

if (blockName=="sqrt")
    {
        tempInputA=prompt("Enter a Temporary variable to square root.")
        document.getElementById("currentBlock").value=tempInputA+"_ "+tempInputA+" raisedTo: 0.5."
        document.getElementById("currentBlockSimple").value="Set "+tempInputA+" to "+tempInputA+"s square root."
    }

{tested}

Joeman592 can make all the graphics you need. Also, you only need to use 1 page!
What do you think?

I don't think we need a new category Scramble is squeak.  wink

#1132 2011-06-05 03:47:59

sparks
Community Moderator

Pecola1 wrote:

I'm not suggesting a new category in the library. Hardmath wants to have a section on his scramble thread with usable scramble methods from what I understand. We would support blocks in the library made with scramble with some sort of "made with scramble" link under it so that other people can find and use it. You have to admit Scratch blocks are currently the hardest to create and add to the system so any programs that make it easier are ok in my book  smile

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#1133 2011-06-05 06:14:10

spkshark
Scratcher

What Is A Blockspec?  hmm

http://d2bm3ljpacyxu8.cloudfront.net/width/300/crop/0,0,300x145/spkshark.webs.com/scratch%20script.gif

#1134 2011-06-05 06:21:38

rdococ
Scratcher

spkshark wrote:

Who (A)re (Y)ou?
Exactly, don't "Talk Like This Please."
Okay? It just makes me fed up.

#1135 2011-06-05 08:21:36

Pecola1
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Pecola1 wrote:

I'm not suggesting a new category in the library. Hardmath wants to have a section on his scramble thread with usable scramble methods from what I understand. We would support blocks in the library made with scramble with some sort of "made with scramble" link under it so that other people can find and use it. You have to admit Scratch blocks are currently the hardest to create and add to the system so any programs that make it easier are ok in my book  smile

Yes, I noticed that afterwards. LOL

#1136 2011-06-05 08:23:41

Pecola1
Scratcher

spkshark wrote:

Look at some tutorials. I have one which explains.

#1137 2011-06-05 17:21:49

jslomba
Scratcher

two new blocks: http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5/6/7156046/8844628.gif:
blockspec:

Code:

('confirm %s' #b #confirm:)

no code needed

what it does: asks the user a yes/no question and is false if the user selects no, true if he/she selects yes

http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5/6/7156046/1995652.gif:
blockspec:

Code:

('alert %s' #- #inform:)

no code needed

Last edited by jslomba (2011-06-05 17:22:24)

the the the the the

#1138 2011-06-05 22:06:52

jslomba
Scratcher

another new block:http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5/6/7156046/6600351.gif

Scratch-Blocks->WhenHatBlockMorph->all:

Code:

stepTime
^ 0.1

and

Code:

step
self evaluateCondition ifTrue: [self start]

blockspec:

Code:

('' #W #-)

(you don't give the block a name because the WhenHatBlockMorph class automatically adds the label.)

Last edited by jslomba (2011-06-05 22:07:49)

the the the the the

#1139 2011-06-06 04:03:44

TheSuccessor
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

another new block:http://megamod.weebly.com/uploads/7/1/5 … 600351.gif

Code:

stepTime
^ 0.1

and

Code:

step

blockspec:

Code:

('' #W #-)

(you don't give the block a name because the WhenHatBlockMorph class automatically adds the label.)

You don't need to do the top two instructions. Just remove the 'true ifTrue: [^ self].' line from ScratchFrameMorph and ScratchPresenterMorph processWhenConditions.  wink

New block:
http://theblocklibrary.site11.com/include/img/blocks/specparser.php?spec=emergency+exit&amp;color=control&amp;type=stop

Spec:
('emergency exit' #- #emergencyExit)
Code:
emergencyExit
    Smalltalk exitToDebugger

There are instructions on how to get a capped block somewhere else in the library I think. I won't post them here.

This block performs a primitive exit from the VM. No call to snapshot:andQuit:, or any ScratchFrameMorph methods which allow cleanup and bring up dialogs - this block gets you straight and unstoppably out. Save your project before using!

Last edited by TheSuccessor (2011-06-10 15:32:47)

/* No comment */

#1140 2011-06-06 05:56:24

sparks
Community Moderator

Nice, I don't think we have a cap block creation tutorial in the library though...

#1141 2011-06-06 05:58:32

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Nice, I don't think we have a cap block creation tutorial in the library though...

Pecola made one, I think.

#1142 2011-06-06 06:00:55

scimonster
Community Moderator

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

sparks wrote:

Scimonster made one, I think.

#1143 2011-06-06 06:03:41

sparks
Community Moderator

How come you guys are online? are you on holiday?

Where is it? I've always wondered how cap blocks are made!

#1144 2011-06-06 06:07:34

scimonster
Community Moderator

Where the first cap block is, in Scratch Control.
I learned from someone else though.
BTW, I shouldn't be online...

#1145 2011-06-06 06:41:18

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

@btw: lol

#1146 2011-06-06 08:23:21

Pecola1
Scratcher

jslomba wrote:

Code:

stepTime
^ 0.1

and

Code:

step

blockspec:

Code:

('' #W #-)

I think for safety reasons we may not add this block, I asked to add it before, but it seemed it wasn't added because if a user put the not block in it then put, say open browser, or delete file blocks on it it would run as soon as it was opened, this would not be good.  hmm

#1147 2011-06-06 08:24:30

Pecola1
Scratcher

TheSuccessor wrote:

jslomba wrote:

Code:

stepTime
^ 0.1

and

Code:

step

blockspec:

Code:

('' #W #-)

You don't need to do the top two instructions. Just remove the 'true ifTrue: [^ self].' line from ScratchFrameMorph and ScratchPresenterMorph processWhenConditions.  wink

New block:
http://theblocklibrary.site11.com/inclu … ;type=stop

Spec:
('emergency exit' #- #emergencyExit)
Code:
emergencyExit
    Smalltalk exitToDebugger

There are instructions on how to get a capped block somewhere else in the library I think. I won't post them here.

This block performs a primitive exit from the VM. No call to snapshot:andQuit:, or any ScratchFrameMorph methods which allow cleanup and bring up dialogs - this block gets you straight and irreversibly out. Save your project before using!

Actually, now there are three quit-like block, two including yours have no dialog.

#1148 2011-06-06 08:26:22

Pecola1
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

sparks wrote:

Pecola made one, I think.

No someone else did. BTW I have to be called Pecola1 otherwise you are talking to this guy. >:) LOL XD Its my lil brothers account.

Last edited by Pecola1 (2011-06-06 08:26:35)

#1149 2011-06-06 08:27:23

Pecola1
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

sparks wrote:

Scimonster made one, I think.

Ahh... so you made that, great! Job.

#1150 2011-06-06 08:28:28

Pecola1
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

We are a bunch of home-schoolers. Me, ProgrammingFreak, and scimonster.  smile

Board footer