This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2011-03-26 20:36:22

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: Ability to make a sig is now tied to Scratcher status

Blade-Edge wrote:

Commercial spammers are usually bots
A simple captcha at the sign up should fix it, I don't see why it's at the login and not there.

Actually, we get a fair amount of spammers who are not bots. Some even used to participate in the TBGs (when it was still on the main Scratch Forum) or even get into conversations in the "Inspiration and More" forum (before it was split) prior to the New Scratcher rules being put into place.

Bots only know post comments. Human spammers, however, can do crafty things that bots cannot do such as edit signatures, edit old comments, abuse gallery notes for backlinks, etc. so they're much harder to root out.

Even if Captcha is put at the sign-in, chances are that it sort out the mindless bot spammers but not the crafty human ones which we really need to get rid of.  hmm

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#52 2011-03-26 21:13:09

Lightnin
Scratch Team

cheddargirl wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

A simple captcha at the sign up should fix it, I don't see why it's at the login and not there.

Actually, we get a fair amount of spammers who are not bots. Some even used to participate in the TBGs (when it was still on the main Scratch Forum) or even get into conversations in the "Inspiration and More" forum (before it was split) prior to the New Scratcher rules being put into place.

Bots only know post comments. Human spammers, however, can do crafty things that bots cannot do such as edit signatures, edit old comments, abuse gallery notes for backlinks, etc. so they're much harder to root out.

Even if Captcha is put at the sign-in, chances are that it sort out the mindless bot spammers but not the crafty human ones which we really need to get rid of.  hmm

Yeah, I don't think we get many bot spammers, knock on wood. We do get some crafty human ones that sometimes email us to request to be unblocked - saying stuff like "I just put a link to my beloved company in my sig and you blocked me!" 

They're pretty crafty.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#53 2011-03-26 21:15:25

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

Yeah, I don't think we get many bot spammers, knock on wood. We do get some crafty human ones that sometimes email us to request to be unblocked - saying stuff like "I just put a link to my beloved company in my sig and you blocked me!" 

They're pretty crafty.

Uh, I have a had a Captcha a few times when logging in before.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#54 2011-03-26 21:25:11

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

soupoftomato wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

They're pretty crafty.

Uh, I have a had a Captcha a few times when logging in before.

Sorry, I mean "sign-up", not "sign-in". ^^;

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#55 2011-03-26 21:36:30

PokemonMeteorite
Scratcher

I understand this, but I hope this whole p0c0d0t thing passes off before it moves out of youtube and to site like this. At that point you might need to stop letting people join (just kidding).

#56 2011-03-30 18:51:37

Venazard
Scratcher

so how do I put my sig on?

http://nitrostudios.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/1/2/6812574/1323469851.png

#57 2011-03-31 15:28:31

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Venazard wrote:

so how do I put my sig on?

Looks like you figured it out! Forum options > Personality.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#58 2011-04-07 09:28:07

CloneCommando1
Scratcher

I saw it somewhere on the forums, but how exactly do I get the pic thing on the forums? Sorry, I'm not that much of a computer wiz.  wink

RANDOM THOUGHT: If the tomato is a fruit, doesn't that make ketchup a smoothie?

#59 2011-04-07 09:37:28

scimonster
Community Moderator

To get an image, first upload it somewhere, then put the code they give you into your sig box.  wink

#60 2011-04-07 11:52:26

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

puppetadventurer wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Good idea!

:c

I know, but would you like Scratch to be overrun with spammers?

Offending strangers since 2010.

#61 2011-04-14 16:19:51

CloneCommando1
Scratcher

I finally got to that point!  big_smile

RANDOM THOUGHT: If the tomato is a fruit, doesn't that make ketchup a smoothie?

#62 2011-04-17 12:26:57

3DSfan12345
Scratcher

TuffGhost wrote:

man these forums keep getting more and more exclusive

i mean i know its supposed to be security stuff
but youre really kind of pushing away everyone who wasnt here already

+1

R.I.P Scratch 1.4
July 7,2009-May 5,2013

#63 2011-04-17 12:38:38

sanddude
Scratcher

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

puppetadventurer wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Good idea!

:c

I know, but would you like Scratch to be overrun with spammers?

It isn't.

99% of New Scratchers aren't spammers, so it's pretty unfair.

http://www.bronyland.com/images/quiz/banner_rainbowdash.jpg

#64 2011-04-22 06:20:23

benjamin2
Scratcher

I have a good idea.

How about we scrap this rule, and go back to the 15-day one but tweak with it a bit, and make it so you have to post EVERY DAY for 15 days running to get a sig.

http://i.imgur.com/gp6tZ.gif

#65 2011-04-22 06:21:32

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

benjamin2 wrote:

I have a good idea.

How about we scrap this rule, and go back to the 15-day one but tweak with it a bit, and make it so you have to post EVERY DAY for 15 days running to get a sig.

But SEO spammers did that, too, when the new rule wasn't in place.

#66 2011-04-22 07:47:49

3DSfan12345
Scratcher

If you're a Scratcher on your old account, and a New Scratcher on a new account, can you request on your old account?

R.I.P Scratch 1.4
July 7,2009-May 5,2013

#67 2011-04-22 07:53:31

scimonster
Community Moderator

3DSfan12345 wrote:

If you're a Scratcher on your old account, and a New Scratcher on a new account, can you request on your old account?

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Remember:
> Your new account will be blank.
> You will have zero posts on the forums.
> You will be 'New Scratcher' on the forums and will have to face restrictions. The Scratch Team will not upgrade you, no matter how many times you mention you have another account.
> Keep security in mind - make a different password for each account. Also, making your password the name of another account is not a good idea!

Read more.

EDIT: Who are you again?

Last edited by scimonster (2011-04-22 08:07:05)

#68 2011-04-22 08:02:04

3DSfan12345
Scratcher

3DSfan12345 wrote:

Just to clear things up, i meant request to become a scratcher on your new account, via your old account.

R.I.P Scratch 1.4
July 7,2009-May 5,2013

#69 2011-04-22 08:07:53

scimonster
Community Moderator

3DSfan12345 wrote:

3DSfan12345 wrote:

Just to clear things up, i meant request to become a scratcher on your new account, via your old account.

I understood. Your new account will still be a New Scratcher if you haven't posted projects and forums posts.

EDIT: You're thecrazyguy.

Last edited by scimonster (2011-04-22 08:08:54)

#70 2011-04-22 08:10:22

12three
Scratcher

TuffGhost wrote:

^^This
I mean, the amount of spammers we get is relatively low, so can't we completely eradicate this rule and just ban spammers who come?

#71 2011-04-22 08:33:33

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

12three wrote:

TuffGhost wrote:

^^This
I mean, the amount of spammers we get is relatively low, so can't we completely eradicate this rule and just ban spammers who come?

Ah, if you can only see what the mods see.

This forum is actually a pretty big spam magnet because of the fact that the web address ends in .edu (in fact, it appears on a lot of "do spam" lists that spammers use as a guide when posting backlinks). Prior to the rule, spammers would just post several comments wait for the sig, and then leave a backlink in their signature - a tactic of spam which was much harder to detect and even harder to clean up.

#72 2011-04-22 09:07:10

scimonster
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

12three wrote:

TuffGhost wrote:

^^This

This forum is actually a pretty big spam magnet because of the fact that the web address ends in .edu (in fact, it appears on a lot of "do spam" lists that spammers use as a guide when posting backlinks). Prior to the rule, spammers would just post several comments wait for the sig, and then leave a backlink in their signature - a tactic of spam which was much harder to detect and even harder to clean up.

If only...  tongue
I think I knew that, maybe you've said that before.  tongue
EDIT: There's a "do spam" list!?  yikes

Last edited by scimonster (2011-04-22 09:07:44)

#73 2011-04-22 09:37:11

imsosuperswell1
Scratcher

Good idea, but exactly how will this lower the chance of commercial spam?

http://i43.tinypic.com/34y3brb.png

#74 2011-04-22 09:39:22

scimonster
Community Moderator

imsosuperswell1 wrote:

Good idea, but exactly how will this lower the chance of commercial spam?

Read.

#75 2011-04-22 23:38:52

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

12three wrote:

^^This

If only...  tongue
I think I knew that, maybe you've said that before.  tongue
EDIT: There's a "do spam" list!?  yikes

There's way more than one "do spam" list. I've always noticed that whenever a new "do spam" list pops up, the influx of spam to the site becomes slightly larger than normal.

Board footer