This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Advanced Topics
  •  » Scratch gets accents like this "� " in the Internet for Portuguese.

#1 2007-06-04 09:53:27

Tuco
Scratcher

Scratch gets accents like this "� " in the Internet for Portuguese.

Scratch gets accents like this "� " as in the Internet. In the Windows Explorer that caracter appears like this "^". The accentuation is important for the learning in other languages. I suggest that it be corrected in the next version so that for the program to improve still more.

#2 2007-06-04 11:42:16

natalie
Scratch Team

Re: Scratch gets accents like this "� " in the Internet for Portuguese.

Thank you. Support for international character sets is a high priority for the future Scratch development.

#3 2007-06-04 16:16:53

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The accented characters that Mac OS X supports work fine in the Squeak version of scratch---but the upload to the web site misunderstands the character set and gets them garbled. I have no idea whether the PC version supports accents, as the only way I have of getting things to a PC are via the web (my flash drive failed).

#4 2007-06-05 08:24:51

johnm
Scratcher

As Kevin wrote, this issue arises from slight differences between the Mac OS Roman character set (used by Scratch on all platforms for historical reasons) and Java's character set. As Natalie wrote, improving support for international character sets is a high priority for Scratch--but that's a big job so it won't happen soon.

Meanwhile, for the purposes of publishing projects on this site, you could either substitue a non-accented character for the problematic character or you could try to find the character in the Mac character set that appears as the correct accented character in Java. (But then it would not look right in Scratch itself.)

#5 2007-06-06 15:55:43

Tuco
Scratcher

kevin_karplus wrote:

The accented characters that Mac OS X supports work fine in the Squeak version of scratch---but the upload to the web site misunderstands the character set and gets them garbled. I have no idea whether the PC version supports accents, as the only way I have of getting things to a PC are via the web (my flash drive failed).

Thank for you for the information. I use a PC and the accents work well in a local computer, but this doesn't work in the Internet.

#6 2007-06-06 16:56:29

Tuco
Scratcher

johnm wrote:

As Kevin wrote, this issue arises from slight differences between the Mac OS Roman character set (used by Scratch on all platforms for historical reasons) and Java's character set. As Natalie wrote, improving support for international character sets is a high priority for Scratch--but that's a big job so it won't happen soon.

Meanwhile, for the purposes of publishing projects on this site, you could either substitue a non-accented character for the problematic character or you could try to find the character in the Mac character set that appears as the correct accented character in Java. (But then it would not look right in Scratch itself.)

Thank you for the information. We were awaiting a new version. I am sending for you and Natalie some comments and a proposal to contribute with you work if this is interesting for you. Scratch is very good, I believe that he will be a success in the school. I am an educator and now I am making the master's degree in education. I am using Scratch with my students and with excellent results. I would like to greet you for the initiative of producing a free program to contribute with the learning, that is especially important for countries that are in development process as Brazil. For that reason, I would like to contribute with you if this is useful for you, I could also propose for the University in the which I study, the State University of Londrina, one of the most important of the south of Brazil, a partnership in the way that more to interest for you, I believe that they would have interest in participating, the institution counts with an own education center where computers are being installed at the classrooms. I already worked as designer making cartoons, you can see some works in my site www.supercharge.com.br I have a good knowledge in flash and Action Script. Forgive me if my English is not very good, besides the Portuguese I speak Spanish fluently if that can help.

#7 2007-06-06 17:00:16

Tuco
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

Thank you. Support for international character sets is a high priority for the future Scratch development.

Thank you for the information. We were awaiting a new version. I am sending for you and Johnm some comments and a proposal to contribute with you work if this is interesting for you. Scratch is very good, I believe that he will be a success in the school. I am an educator and now I am making the master's degree in education. I am using Scratch with my students and with excellent results. I would like to greet you for the initiative of producing a free program to contribute with the learning, that is especially important for countries that are in development process as Brazil. For that reason, I would like to contribute with you if this is useful for you, I could also propose for the University in the which I study, the State University of Londrina, one of the most important of the south of Brazil, a partnership in the way that more to interest for you, I believe that they would have interest in participating, the institution counts with an own education center where computers are being installed at the classrooms. I already worked as designer making cartoons, you can see some works in my site www.supercharge.com.br I have a good knowledge in flash and Action Script. Forgive me if my English is not very good, besides the Portuguese I speak Spanish fluently if that can help.

• Index
  •  » Advanced Topics
  •  » Scratch gets accents like this "� " in the Internet for Portuguese.

Board footer