This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-03-06 00:04:45

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

Re: Is it legal???

cheddargirl wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Here's the thing: the license is added onto the Scratch project if it has been uploaded to the Scratch website - but if the user never uploaded the project to the website, then the user has the say in what type of license to apply to the project, if any at all (Theoretically, the user could keep all copyrights to a project and not apply any kind of distribution or sharing license, which would be the ideal case here since the project is intended to be sold).

Ah. Unfortunately, it'd still be likely that, if the people had any experience with Scratch before, they'd post the project online. Of course, there's always the choice of modding Scratch...

In that case the project owner could ask for the project to be taken down under the case of copyright infringement since the original project was not covered under the Share-Alike License.

*remembers Namco controversy* Uh...

tongue

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#27 2011-03-06 00:18:20

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

Ah. Unfortunately, it'd still be likely that, if the people had any experience with Scratch before, they'd post the project online. Of course, there's always the choice of modding Scratch...

In that case the project owner could ask for the project to be taken down under the case of copyright infringement since the original project was not covered under the Share-Alike License.

tongue

In the Namco controversy, someone was using programming skills to attempt to recreate a certain game and share that code online in the Namco controversy. In the case of someone using Scratch to make a game and then sell that game, sharing that Scratch project online is more similar to the case of taking an illegal copy of a videogame and posting it online; much different case of copyright issue here than Namco.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2011-03-06 00:24:05)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#28 2011-03-06 00:22:42

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

tongue

The Namco controversy is different in this case - someone was using programming skills to attempt to recreate a certain game and share that code online in the Namco controversy. This one is more of a case of directly releasing a copyrighted Scratch project on the Scratch website - that's like taking an illegal copy of a videogame and posting it online.

I know, I was just kidding  tongue

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#29 2011-03-06 00:26:01

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

tongue

The Namco controversy is different in this case - someone was using programming skills to attempt to recreate a certain game and share that code online in the Namco controversy. This one is more of a case of directly releasing a copyrighted Scratch project on the Scratch website - that's like taking an illegal copy of a videogame and posting it online.

I know, I was just kidding  tongue

Ah, I just had to point the case out. Not all cases claiming copyright infringement are necessarily overblown like with Namco.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#30 2011-03-27 21:52:36

samtwheels
Scratcher

So can I put it on a website or something and charge for it?

#31 2011-03-27 22:14:18

kayybee
Scratcher

samtwheels wrote:

No, you may not.

If you put it on a website, it has to be non-profit.

If you were to sell it on a CD or something, you could not sell it for more than the price you paid for the CD.

#32 2011-03-27 22:19:44

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

samtwheels wrote:

An individual project, you might. As Paddle2See points out:

Paddle2See wrote:

Actually, I don't believe there is anything in the Scratch license that prevents you from selling your games, if you can find a buyer.   Anything distributed on the Scratch website must be shared for free...but if you choose to distribute in some other fashion, you can charge money.

And if you end up making a bunch of money, please consider a donation to Scratch  smile

As for Scratch itself or materials and projects found on the Scratch website, that's a big no-no because of the license involved. So if you're ever planning to create a game in Scratch and use it for commercial purposes, make sure NOT to upload it to the Scratch website. ^^

#33 2011-03-28 16:26:48

infinite_minus_zero
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Actually, I don't believe there is anything in the Scratch license that prevents you from selling your games, if you can find a buyer.   Anything distributed on the Scratch website must be shared for free...but if you choose to distribute in some other fashion, you can charge money...

So basically, if you never upload the project to the website, you can sell it? (if I do end up making a lot of money, I will donate  tongue  ) what if you already posted the project, but nobody really acknolodged it, and you take it off? would it still be legal? and either way, how do you put a project on a CD anyways? a long time ago, I tried, but I couldnt get it to work. what are the rules for selling it? Sorry for all the questions, but im really curios about this  smile  thanks!

#34 2011-03-30 18:50:27

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

infinite_minus_zero wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Actually, I don't believe there is anything in the Scratch license that prevents you from selling your games, if you can find a buyer.   Anything distributed on the Scratch website must be shared for free...but if you choose to distribute in some other fashion, you can charge money...

So basically, if you never upload the project to the website, you can sell it? (if I do end up making a lot of money, I will donate  tongue  ) what if you already posted the project, but nobody really acknolodged it, and you take it off? would it still be legal? and either way, how do you put a project on a CD anyways? a long time ago, I tried, but I couldnt get it to work. what are the rules for selling it? Sorry for all the questions, but im really curios about this  smile  thanks!

Theoretically, if you never uploaded your project to the Scratch website, you still retain the full copyright to it (assuming that the sounds and images are you own original works) and you can sell it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with removing a project, but I'm going to warn that if it's for the intent of selling the project, that's going to be a tricky issue later because of license disputes. For example: let's say if someone got hold of a project when it was still on Scratch and wanted to remix it, and they upload the remix sometime after you took the project is off the Scratch website; is this remixed project now a case of copyright infringement, fair use, or does the original CC license still apply here because it was obtained from the Scratch website initially? This is just one example of where the license and laws being used are in dispute, so I would recommend probably not uploading to the website in the first place if you're really serious about selling your stuff. (Note: I'm no lawyer, so you could always seek some legal advice with these issues ^^).

I don't know about any rules for selling stuff. But if you wanted some clarification about things you can always ask the Scratch Team heresmile

For putting Scratch on a CD try thissmile

#35 2011-03-30 19:18:03

bbbeb
Scratcher

Simple

make a mod replace green flag and stop with a play and stop button in skin

and waila now get someone to compile it - max win, hard(er) to trace back

Back in my day.... there were no laws that censored the internet... now, there are.... nah.

#36 2011-03-30 21:20:59

what-the
Scratcher

I have a question.

What happens if you upload a demo of a game you want to sell. Can you still sell the game or is the game under share a like for the content you uploaded?

Say you upload a demo of the game for levels 1 - 3. Are you allowed to sell the game with all the levels including levels 1 - 3? Though in this case I think the demo is based off the game and it's license shouldn't restrict the games license.

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#37 2011-03-31 18:14:11

infinite_minus_zero
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

infinite_minus_zero wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Theoretically, if you never uploaded your project to the Scratch website, you still retain the full copyright to it (assuming that the sounds and images are you own original works) and you can sell it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with removing a project, but I'm going to warn that if it's for the intent of selling the project, that's going to be a tricky issue later because of license disputes. For example: let's say if someone got hold of a project when it was still on Scratch and wanted to remix it, and they upload the remix sometime after you took the project is off the Scratch website; is this remixed project now a case of copyright infringement, fair use, or does the original CC license still apply here because it was obtained from the Scratch website initially? This is just one example of where the license and laws being used are in dispute, so I would recommend probably not uploading to the website in the first place if you're really serious about selling your stuff. (Note: I'm no lawyer, so you could always seek some legal advice with these issues ^^).

I don't know about any rules for selling stuff. But if you wanted some clarification about things you can always ask the Scratch Team heresmile

For putting Scratch on a CD try thissmile

Ok. I just wanted to make sure before I selled anything  smile  thank you

#38 2011-04-14 13:19:00

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

So could I put my own project on a CD, and sell the CD on eBay?
And also, would I be allowed to include the Scratch Cat in a design on a ring to sell on eBay too?

Thankies  smile

Offending strangers since 2010.

#39 2011-04-14 13:31:20

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Most likely this wouldn't be a problem (insofar that it isn't on the Scratch website or anywhere else in which a permissive license might be applied. You'll want to make sure you keep the full copyright here in this case).

And also, would I be allowed to include the Scratch Cat in a design on a ring to sell on eBay too?

Thankies  smile

Similar situations like this are usually illegal (although my knowledge of issues like this is in regards to copyrighted characters as opposed to one covered by a CC license and other permissive issues, so I can't give a definitive answer).  You'll probably have to ask the original creator(s) regarding the use of the Scratch Cat and logos for commercial purposes.  hmm

Last edited by cheddargirl (2011-04-14 13:32:09)

#40 2011-04-14 14:25:04

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Most likely this wouldn't be a problem (insofar that it isn't on the Scratch website or anywhere else in which a permissive license might be applied. You'll want to make sure you keep the full copyright here in this case).

Thankies  smile

Similar situations like this are usually illegal (although my knowledge of issues like this is in regards to copyrighted characters as opposed to one covered by a CC license and other permissive issues, so I can't give a definitive answer).  You'll probably have to ask the original creator(s) regarding the use of the Scratch Cat and logos for commercial purposes.  hmm

Okay, thanks a lot for your help!
See, we're starting an eBay business selling custom merchandise and thought my family and I could make Scratch Cat merchandise to sell. Never mind, I'll forget that idea.

And good, I'll get started on my game, then! And I'll donate too if I become a billionaire  wink

#41 2011-04-14 14:31:39

scimonster
Community Moderator

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Thankies  smile

See, we're starting an eBay business selling custom merchandise and thought my family and I could make Scratch Cat merchandise to sell. Never mind, I'll forget that idea.

And good, I'll get started on my game, then! And I'll donate too if I become a billionaire  wink

Ah, that's nice.  tongue

#42 2011-04-14 14:50:38

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Ah, that's nice.  tongue

Yes, always contributing towards Scratch's delevopment while exploiting the program for my own gain  wink  Jk!
Lol, shame about the whole merchandising thing... oh well.

#43 2011-04-14 15:05:17

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

scimonster wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Ah, that's nice.  tongue

Yes, always contributing towards Scratch's delevopment while exploiting the program for my own gain  wink  Jk!

You could just opt for sending an e-mail to the Scratch Team asking if it's okay to do so.  tongue

#44 2011-04-14 15:34:47

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Ah, that's nice.  tongue

You could just opt for sending an e-mail to the Scratch Team asking if it's okay to do so.  tongue

True, I could... and I WILL!  big_smile
Sorry, I'm famous for doing everything the hard way ^_^

#45 2011-04-14 15:56:58

CloneCommando1
Scratcher

I don't think its illegal, but I wouldn't "sell" game(s) made with Scratch to other people.

RANDOM THOUGHT: If the tomato is a fruit, doesn't that make ketchup a smoothie?

#46 2011-04-15 04:09:17

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

The_Dancing_Donut wrote:

Thankies  smile

CloneCommando ^^

*ahem*

smile

Board footer