This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-02-18 23:21:51

a1130
Scratcher

Errors in Simplified Chinese Version of Scratch Website

There are some errors in the Simplified (ONLY simplified) Chinese version of the Scratch website. Also, there are some boxes and sections of the front page that are not translated into English.

The first thing is that "Featured Projects" translates as "优秀的作品." 优秀sometimes means "honorable" or "acknowledgeable" in Chinese, like "优秀奖" could refer to "Honorable Prize" or "Honorable Mention." But 优秀most commonly is used as "smart" or "intelligent," so most (if not, some) Chinese people might not understand and end up thinking those projects are "smart." A better substitute would be "精选", which literally means "carefully selected"and then you wouldn't put "精选的作品," you would remove "的"so that it sounds more flowing and grammatically it is correct (although I don't know why, just a difference between English and Chinese).

The second thing is "Scratch Tours" becomes "Scratch|联系我们" which means "Scratch|Contact Us!" I don't know how that happened, because tour in Chinese can be translated as "参观". Then Scratch Tours in Chinese would become "Tour Scratch", as in "参观Scratch" without the weird | symbol. Also when you click on "Learn More" there could be Chinese videos and there could be a Chinese version of the link which I will discuss in a separate topic.

The third thing is that "Learn More" is translated word for word as "学习更多" which gives the kind of sense that you are going to learn something in school, instead of something like showing more things. You could change the link to "显示更多" which means "Show More" or you could just change it to "更多," or "More" which makes more sense.

I hope these suggestions help, or I could just change it in the Pootle server, but I don't have a link, anyone from the Scratch team could give it to me if they knew. Thanks for all the help!!!

#2 2011-08-03 00:43:07

umairaraza100
New Scratcher

Re: Errors in Simplified Chinese Version of Scratch Website

well i am also facing the same problem

Board footer