This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2011-02-02 19:30:29

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#77 2011-02-02 19:49:55

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

If people really want to do something for this here is the to-do list

-come up with a name
-get music for battle and stuff
-art for everything

Also on a diffrent note, my original plan was to the the monster's moves and name and look set up like this

Each monster has a "shape level" from 1 to 10. The higher the shape level (the power of the pinwheel, squiggle, moon) the more moves it can learn and the higher its level is. Also, the larger the shape level the larger the symbols are stamped and the more the color of the symbols changes. The names of the monsters are also decided by these shape levels. Now I am thinking that it may be better to forget that and just have monsters without shape levels.

What do you guys think?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
A name.
Necromon?
Shoot. I looked it up and it was taken.
Its should have 'mon' in it.

I found some mildly good music.

I suck at art. I wonder if Illusionist is in a collab...

#78 2011-02-02 20:02:35

kayybee
Scratcher

How big should each one be? 1/4 of the screen?

#79 2011-02-02 20:30:20

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

How big should each one be? 1/4 of the screen?

Yeah, about that.

Also, not sure where the placing of the monsters should be. Should it be side by side like it is now or like pokemon where its your monster is bottom right and enemy monster is top left?

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-02 20:31:45)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#80 2011-02-02 20:32:32

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

-come up with a name
-art for everything

Also on a diffrent note, my original plan was to the the monster's moves and name and look set up like this

Each monster has a "shape level" from 1 to 10. The higher the shape level (the power of the pinwheel, squiggle, moon) the more moves it can learn and the higher its level is. Also, the larger the shape level the larger the symbols are stamped and the more the color of the symbols changes. The names of the monsters are also decided by these shape levels. Now I am thinking that it may be better to forget that and just have monsters without shape levels.

What do you guys think?

A name.
Necromon?

I can come up with some pretty decent art but its time consuming for me.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#81 2011-02-02 20:55:06

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

-come up with a name
-art for everything

What do you guys think?

A name.
Necromon?

I can come up with some pretty decent art but its time consuming for me.

Just typed up an extremely long post, and then the internet crashed while submitting. <_<

Shape Levels are a little bit too complicated in my opinion, there should probably only be regular levels, with the max be 10.

I think we could have the system in which each monster has a growth value. The growth values have to add upp to 300%, with an atk growth value, an hp growth value, etc.

For Example:
For the wind monster currently in the demo.
HP Growth: 100%
Atk Growth: 75%
Def Growth: 55%
Spd Growth: 70%

So, 100% of all levels, the stat will go up by 1 for Hp, for 75% of all level ups, the atk stat will go up by 1, etc.

For enemies, we could make it so that the monster has a predetermined level before the battle, such as 3.

The stats of the enemy will be determined by level ups also, before every battle, the system will level up the enemy at level 1 to its predetermined level. This way, all  monsters will have somewhat random stats and will not be the same.

For music, are we allowed to use copyrighted music at all in this competition?

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#82 2011-02-02 21:04:37

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

I'm imagining the final product to look like this:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_asuBNvtiN90/TUoM3LUrIOI/AAAAAAAAAGU/WVPyP0yNqzg/untitled.PNG

#83 2011-02-02 21:19:18

scratchlive
Scratcher

ill join  smile

#84 2011-02-03 01:33:36

archmage
Scratcher

Can you do art? We just need people who can do art stuff or custom music.

#85 2011-02-03 01:53:59

archmage
Scratcher

mkolpnji wrote:

Just typed up an extremely long post, and then the internet crashed while submitting. <_<

Shape Levels are a little bit too complicated in my opinion, there should probably only be regular levels, with the max be 10.

I think we could have the system in which each monster has a growth value. The growth values have to add upp to 300%, with an atk growth value, an hp growth value, etc.

For Example:
For the wind monster currently in the demo.
HP Growth: 100%
Atk Growth: 75%
Def Growth: 55%
Spd Growth: 70%

So, 100% of all levels, the stat will go up by 1 for Hp, for 75% of all level ups, the atk stat will go up by 1, etc.

For enemies, we could make it so that the monster has a predetermined level before the battle, such as 3.

The stats of the enemy will be determined by level ups also, before every battle, the system will level up the enemy at level 1 to its predetermined level. This way, all  monsters will have somewhat random stats and will not be the same.

For music, are we allowed to use copyrighted music at all in this competition?

There is a lot to respond to here but I'll try to get to it all.

The shape levels was a thing I thought up to bring uniqueness. I thought hard about the collab's requirements

Will some of the projects be featured?

At the end of the Collab Challenge, the Scratch Team will select several of the projects to feature on the Scratch front page. The featured projects will be selected based on:

* originality of the project
    * creativity of art, music, animation
    * elegance and sophistication of programming

Creativity and code elegance I think we have down pat, but the originality part bugs me a bit. Sure we are the first to make a successful project like this but this isn't an original idea completely. I like how the monster generation is completely original, the other groups are making knockoffs of warioware and stuff and the symbols don't play a big enough role.

My plan for the shape levels was kind of complicated so maybe it better to use something I know will work for sure.

As for growth values, I already talked about that

Each monster gets 5 free stat points in each area, (10 for hp) and then the monster type's stat ratings are multiplied by their level. So lets say this monster was a lv 20 wind type.

Its stats are:
HP 4*20+10
Atk 2*20+5
Def 1*20+5
Spd 3*20+5

The random growth thing is more complicated and the scripts to process it would be longer and may create a bit of lag. You can already see some lag from the generation of the monsters which is created by the repeat loops and this kind of random leveling would create more of the same type of lag.

As for leveling, I was originally not going to include that, I thought that you could just replace monsters (again trying to be unique) but now I see that leveling is kind of needed. Also thinking of setting the level cap to 999 or something nuts. This game cannot save data so may as well reward those who are patient enough with an overpowered monster.

For music, there is no need to use copyrighted material. Get it from newgrounds or make it manually.

#86 2011-02-03 02:01:39

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

I'm imagining the final product to look like this:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_asuB … titled.PNG

Looks good, but I want the monster to have 4 attacks to use  smile

Also, I noticed your version had a loading screen. What should go there in the future is a intro screen like "And here comes the wind monster, master of gales!" so that people think that the delay is intentional. Lots of games use this tactic, you know in mario galaxy when mario rockets into a planet, that is a loading screen.

Here some detail about what is causing that lag.

-First all the current monster stamping values are dumped

-Then it finds the long list for a monster (the new one I asked for) and spilts it into the diffrent stamping values.
/*The repeat loop is a super slow loop so in the future I may have to reduce the number of loops it runs at the expense of coding elegance.*/

-When that is done it stamps it

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-03 02:04:37)

#87 2011-02-03 02:04:09

archmage
Scratcher

Also need people to think of some sort of short intro before letting users get into the main game screen. Every game has this, like pokemon's name the trainer, rival, and meeting oak. But please no trainers or gym badges or what have you, this needs to be as original as possible.

#88 2011-02-03 18:51:38

kayybee
Scratcher

I'll make that...

#89 2011-02-03 19:28:22

kayybee
Scratcher

Okay, what are the elements of the intro to be included?

Welcome to the world of ________!

Here you fight, defeat, and obtain _______!

I am _______, the ________ master.

I am here to give you your first _________.

NOWAT?

#90 2011-02-03 19:44:48

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

We really need a name.

#91 2011-02-03 19:52:45

kayybee
Scratcher

Collabamon?

#92 2011-02-03 19:56:02

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

NOWAT?

I was thinking that instead of a person collecting them, they could be self organized. The first monster you get is like the player character and he goes out to fight and recuit others. Remeber, originality  wink

Also, I was thinking that the bosses could be our chacters, ie, kayybee, archmage, and the rest.

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-03 20:00:02)

#93 2011-02-03 19:57:24

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

Collabamon?

That could work, lets get more input before deciding.

#94 2011-02-03 20:04:10

archmage
Scratcher

I also need to add more attacks, was thinking of some not basic attacks, like healing, buffing(upgrading), and nerfing(downgrading) attacks. This would require a few more steps in the battle process but nothing I can't do.

#95 2011-02-03 20:30:29

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

I also need to add more attacks, was thinking of some not basic attacks, like healing, buffing(upgrading), and nerfing(downgrading) attacks. This would require a few more steps in the battle process but nothing I can't do.

Miffin's greatly good poke-type battle moves

pinwheel toss- basic attack
line bend- basic buffing
ball blind- basic nerfing
magic render- heal
void- just like 'self destruct' in the pokemon games

I'll have more soon.

#96 2011-02-03 20:41:36

rett
Scratcher

hey look
more pages then scratchy scratch

#97 2011-02-03 20:54:53

archmage
Scratcher

Number of pages is not important, only the project is important. You could even argue that the more pages, the less time is spent on the project.

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-03 21:03:28)

#98 2011-02-03 21:03:11

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

Miffin's greatly good poke-type battle moves

pinwheel toss- basic attack
line bend- basic buffing
ball blind- basic nerfing
magic render- heal
void- just like 'self destruct' in the pokemon games

I'll have more soon.

Not sure if you have ever played a pokemon or RPG game before, but you need to be more specific.

Moves that I could put in:

atk buff/nerf
accuracy buff/nerf
poison
heal

Also wondering if monsters should learn moves by leveling or should they all be store bought.

#99 2011-02-03 22:08:13

kayybee
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

NOWAT?

Let me try that again.

Welcome to the world of Collabamon!

Here you fight, defeat, and recruit different Collabamon!

I am Archmage, the Collabamon master.

I am here to give you life!

Now, choose how you would like to look:

Anything to change?

Also, let me make a list of moves:

Ball Toss-attack
Prepare-buffing
Sneak Attack-weaker attack that goes first
Off Guard-nerfing
Buffing Sacrifice-buffing double, nerfing of own move
Mana Heal-healing of self
Ultimate Sacrifice-buffing of all moves to max, 1 health left.
Triple Blast-high power, low accuracy (50%) and always nerfing of all moves, miss or not
Pinwheel Fling-attack
Poison Venom-poisoned
Squiggle Throw-attack

Just some ideas

BTW-learn moves by leveling, you can choose which one?

#100 2011-02-03 22:27:17

archmage
Scratcher

That intro is still too much like pokemon I think. I was thinking it would be something like this:

The world is ruled by the 3 evil lords (the collab members) and you are the last of a dead race (you get a unique monster). You alone have the strenght and cunning to overthrow the dark lords and restore peace to the land.

I was thinking you would get a random move every 10 levels but picking the move is also possible. It is going to be kind of a pain to make all the moves though, with basic attack style moves you just change the variables but with buffs/nerfs and stuff you need to put more stuff in. I gave it a bit of thought and I think broadcasts are the way to go since you can put strings in to reference broadcasts (you can't do this with variables).

Also the bosses have moves that no one else does. For example, the Archmage boss may have the following moves,

ultima- mad damaging magic
heartless angel- brings hp down to 1
grand cross- put a negative status effect with 100% accuracy
Mage Punch - I hit you for ok damage  tongue

If you didn't already get the memo, our chacters are the bosses.

Board footer