This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-01-31 21:29:26

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

That looks fantastic, I'll get working on the battles once I am sure what stats to include. I know seperate magic attacks that drain mp won't work so I won't put that in. I am thinking the stats could be:

health points-the monsters health
attack- how much damage the monster can deal
defence- how much damage the monster can resist
speed- the monster with the highest speed goes first

Let me give an example of how the stats are distributed:

Say there is 10 total stat points, the ghost has high HP so its stats would be put like this

5hp
2attack
2defence
1speed

Also, in this I was thinking you can't level up monsters, instead you just replace them with stronger ones you catch. Thats the way that favimon does it and I kinda like it.

This is the same as pokemon except without the special stats and this also won't have elemental weaknesses/strengths. Also wondering if I should use randon numbers for this, most RPGs do but not pokemon.

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 21:34:39)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#27 2011-01-31 21:31:14

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I can do some simple stuff every now and then, but will probably remain more dedicated to TheSaints.

However, I can finish the stuff in a week still.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#28 2011-01-31 21:33:45

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

That looks fantastic, I'll get working on the battles once I am sure what stats to include. I know seperate magic attacks that drain mp won't work so I won't put that in. I am thinking the stats could be:

This is the same as pokemon except without the special stats and this also won't have elemental weaknesses/strengths. Also wondering if I should use randon numbers for this, most RPGs do but not pokemon.

Those are decent stats.
What about missing and such?
We should use lots of randomness.

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#29 2011-01-31 21:40:52

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

Those are decent stats.

In pokemon, accuracy "missing" is not actualy a trait of the monster but rather is a trait of the attack. I could put this in too, but it would add randomness and some people don't like that. With dammage randomness generally this means that the damage could be anywhere in a certain range (ie 10-15 damage). Again randomness may cause upset when people lose only because of a bad random number.

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 21:42:11)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#30 2011-01-31 21:43:57

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

Those are decent stats.

In pokemon, accuracy "missing" is not actualy a trait of the monster but rather is a trait of the attack. I could put this in too, but it would add randomness and some people don't like that. With dammage randomness generally this means that the damage could be anywhere in a certain range (ie 10-15 damage). Again randomness may cause upset when people lose only because of a bad random number.

Okee dokee!^^

#31 2011-01-31 21:44:43

TheSaint
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

I can do some simple stuff every now and then, but will probably remain more dedicated to TheSaints.

Traitor...
tongue  (No hard feelings.)

#32 2011-01-31 21:45:18

archmage
Scratcher

Also need someone to do graphics for attacks and stuff. Since the stamped monsters can't move its going to have another sprite display things (fireballs, stars ect) to show the attack.

#33 2011-01-31 21:46:54

archmage
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Sorry, I need a high level of dedication to do this. Go help TheSaint, hes going to need it if he wants to win this  tongue

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 21:47:29)

#34 2011-01-31 21:50:04

archmage
Scratcher

Another thing, a monster type doesn't have to be good at just 1 thing, it can be good at 2 things or it could be ok at many things. Just something to consider.

#35 2011-01-31 21:51:17

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Also need someone to do graphics for attacks and stuff. Since the stamped monsters can't move its going to have another sprite display things (fireballs, stars ect) to show the attack.

In my small demo thing they could move with the arrow keys.

(Did you do this thing?)

Last edited by MiffinTheMuffin (2011-01-31 21:53:38)

#36 2011-01-31 21:52:10

kayybee
Scratcher

so... what do i do now?

it should be for calculating move damage:

ma(ua/od)=td

ma=move's attack level
ua=user's attack level
od=opponent's defense level
td=total damage

maybe a "random"...

Last edited by kayybee (2011-01-31 21:54:09)

#37 2011-01-31 21:55:07

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

so... what do i do now?

Well, you could contribute monster design, post your ideas on stats, come up with a name for the project/group, make some art. So whatever you want to do I suppose.

For inspiration with stats try looking at these pages for pokemon stats and stuff
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#List_of_stats
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/damage_formula

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 21:58:30)

#38 2011-01-31 21:56:16

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

In my small demo thing they could move with the arrow keys.

(Did you do this thing?)

doing it now, thanks for reminding me

#39 2011-01-31 22:02:18

archmage
Scratcher

http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/110920

this is the collab's gallery

#40 2011-01-31 22:08:03

archmage
Scratcher

Going to bed now, will probally have a simple battle system with the monsters ready by tommrow.

#41 2011-02-01 20:33:57

frog7725
Scratcher

I would collab, but im not as famous and as good as you guys.  GOOD LUCK

I'm a burger

#42 2011-02-01 20:37:00

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

frog7725 wrote:

You should join.
You don't have to be famous to join.
I'm not famous.

#43 2011-02-01 22:35:17

archmage
Scratcher

frog7725 wrote:

No one in this (other than me) has lots of views on their projects. Those people are all doing their own thing anyways.

In other news:

Coding up the battle system right now Pokemon flavor!

Using the battle forumla from http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/damage_formula

It includes everything except:
elemental modifiers
critical hit modifiers
move and item damage modifier
special attack/defense
Same type attack bonus (STAB) //like the idea of this tho

Later if people really want I can put some of those things in but for now this system is going to be as basic as possible while still using the pokemon forumla.

It will be a remix of http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/1235930 but with the stamped monsters.

#44 2011-02-01 23:40:48

kayybee
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

frog7725 wrote:

No one in this (other than me) has lots of views on their projects. Those people are all doing their own thing anyways.
/\@frog-you don't need to be famous, the most I have is 200 views... you don't need 10000...

In other news:

Coding up the battle system right now Pokemon flavor!

Using the battle forumla from http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/damage_formula

It includes everything except:
elemental modifiers
critical hit modifiers
move and item damage modifier
special attack/defense
Same type attack bonus (STAB) //like the idea of this tho
/\so each attack would have a type? maybe... later...

Later if people really want I can put some of those things in but for now this system is going to be as basic as possible while still using the pokemon forumla.
/\okay, so maybe i can add something later then...

It will be a remix of http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/1235930 but with the stamped monsters.

#45 2011-02-01 23:45:12

archmage
Scratcher

Kayybee, I need some monsters now (game will probally have up to 6 types) so it would be great if you could whip up some monsters in the monster creator and then post the lists like MiffinTheMuffin did.

#46 2011-02-01 23:52:16

archmage
Scratcher

This is kind of a rantish thing but I remembered something about Scratch that bugs me.

In the list name fields, you can't put text blocks. I wanted to use
(item i of (join (monster_name) (size or other variable)))

Because of this the code is going to be like 6 times longer for the stamping script.

Its funny that things like this bug me but don't bug anyone else.

Last edited by archmage (2011-02-01 23:53:09)

#47 2011-02-01 23:54:03

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Wow.
I have this great urge to join this project, but I'm not sure If I have the dedication for it.

I'm just going to watch this thread for a few more days before deciding.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#48 2011-02-01 23:55:30

kayybee
Scratcher

okay, it's kinda late so i'll just make one monster now.
do i download it, right?

#49 2011-02-02 00:04:30

kayybee
Scratcher

Code:

rotation

Shape

Size

X

Y

yes, i know, my creativity is low...

it'll get better once i get used to the different pieces.

I got a good idea. let me post the second one shortly.

#50 2011-02-02 00:04:44

archmage
Scratcher

Yes, download it export the lists then post them in this thread.

PS: Found a way to make code a bit better by combining all the lists. Please when you post the lists make the order: shape, rot, size, x , y.

Board footer