This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#351 2011-03-06 16:20:52

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

TheSaint wrote:

archmage wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Dude, with the unfairness of the Scratch Team, they will just pick ones by unpopular people, and seeing as yours is already curated.

And it will be multiple winners.

I am thinking they will at least announce the ones they thought were good in a forum post or something which is good enough.

Soup, ours is curated too...

Also, good luck guys with the Pokemon game. I feel like if you pull that off (Of which I have no doubt that you will), it would become one of the Top Loved of all time...

Its not possible to bump off the current top loved project at this point, I could however make a project worthy of bumping off the top loved project (but that project is horrible anyways). Since the top loved of all time list is hidden the top projects no longer continue to gain love its. The time which it would be possible to bump off the project would be right when lists where introduced, this means that due to lists a pokemon game is possible and I would be at the hight of my popularity at the time and projects would gain love its way after they are gone from the frontpage.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#352 2011-03-06 16:25:08

archmage
Scratcher

PlayWithFire wrote:

I played this collab, fantastic job guys!  Our team is going to have a tough time against you guys!  One of the best games i've seen on scratch in a long time!

Yeah this is the first time the Scratch team has announced a contest so I went all out. Usually I don't have to really put too much thought into my projects. For more simple things like xmas beats, scrollers, and Scratch Jr the code is so simple I already have the scripts in my head and I just have to put them into Scratch. The only projects that have really made me push myself were collab monster, SSBS, and phoenix wright, and only this collab one was ever finished.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#353 2011-03-06 17:13:44

PlayWithFire
Scratcher

Yah I know what you mean, the best ideas never usually get finished so it's great that this one was!  fantastic job!

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/PlayWithFire/1610180_sm.png
Check out the DG Games Website For the latest news on games like Infected

#354 2011-03-06 17:30:14

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

mkolpnji wrote:

archmage wrote:

After our victory is announced does any one want to make a pokemon style sequel to this? It would be so easy to modify at this point and so many people are craving a pokemon game. This could be modded to make a very realistic (in both gameplay and looks) pokemon game.

I think that would be pretty epic.

If this does happen, count me in.

Also, I posted a version of Collab Monsters with somewhat advanced AI on my test account. Basically, once an enemy monster has less than 50% of their HP left, than they are more likely to use an attacking move than a stat mod or status move.

I can update the main project with your version if you included my changes with the missingno boss.

Also its cool that you want to help with the potential pokemon game. I think you are one of the very few people on this site who can contribute to scripting this. I also think you got better at coding during this process, for example you couldn't make the HQ but you were able to modify if after I made it and understand how it worked.

Yeah, I really learned a lot from this.
At first I just dabbled a bit in the code, but as I began to understand it more and more, I found that it was easier change and add stuff.

I also learned that you can use broadcast something in a list, I never knew you could do that before.

Anyway, I'll quickly add the enemy ai to the missingno version.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#355 2011-03-06 18:05:24

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1640304

#356 2011-03-06 18:19:29

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I didn't really . . . enjoy it?

Things seemed okay at that first battle where you own the guy and it asks your name, but once I saw the town, it was just so crowded, and rushed looking.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#357 2011-03-06 19:33:34

archmage
Scratcher

PlayWithFire wrote:

Yah I know what you mean, the best ideas never usually get finished so it's great that this one was!  fantastic job!

Well SSBS I never finished because Scratch can't handle the costumes and motion of the game phoenix wright I never finished because I was working on it with my brother and he lost interest.

#358 2011-03-06 19:43:26

archmage
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Things seemed okay at that first battle where you own the guy and it asks your name, but once I saw the town, it was just so crowded, and rushed looking.

To be honest I don't really enjoy any Scratch games at all, they just can't compete with flash games. The town was kind of rushed and crowded because of the small screen and it was made a few days before the first due date. I understand how the lackluster town can put some people off but this project does a lot of things no other project does.

The lack of maps and just overall length is due to the time limits. What do you think we could have done better?

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-06 19:58:51)

#359 2011-03-06 20:24:59

mkolpnji
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Did you just stop playing the game just because of the town?
No offense, but saying that the game wasn't enjoyable just because you didn't like how the town looked is kind of... well yeah.
What other things made it unenjoyable? Try and give more constructive criticism.

#360 2011-03-07 14:51:26

archmage
Scratcher

If anyone wants to create a new thread for the upcoming pokemon game feel free. Not going to be programming too much this time around since most of its already done. Just modding the current project and adding in non-scrolling tilemaps will allow for a pretty large scale game.

#361 2011-03-07 19:11:07

kayybee
Scratcher

I CAN MAKE THE MAPS!!!

Maybe just ask the mods to move this thread, like the saintly team did?

Or I can make the thread?

#362 2011-03-07 20:58:08

archmage
Scratcher

The thing with the maps is that they absolutely must be tile based. So basically the maps are all lists like the monsters are in collab monsters. This is what a scratch tilemap looks like http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Locomule/1535376 and a decent pokemon game is impossible without this.

I am going to have to code a proper tile map editor when we start this.

I am thinking that after the tile map most of the programming is just going to be on the interface.

I think I will make the thread for this one.

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-07 21:06:31)

#363 2011-03-07 21:09:39

kayybee
Scratcher

Okay, you can make the tilemapper.
I'll try to limit the amount of tiles I use  smile

#364 2011-03-07 21:16:29

archmage
Scratcher

Well each tile is less than a kilobyte so you can use as many tiles as you like. How it works is for each map it stamps all the tiles according to a list. I was thinking that this would be a realistic version of one of the original pokemon games, though not quite as long due to time constricts. It could have gyms, routes, and the typical stuff though.

#365 2011-03-07 21:18:16

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Well each tile is less than a kilobyte so you can use as many tiles as you like. How it works is for each map it stamps all the tiles according to a list. I was thinking that this would be a realistic version of one of the original pokemon games, though not quite as long due to time constricts. It could have gyms, routes, and the typical stuff though.

Ah tilemaps.
I understand some of the basic concepts of it, so I might be able to help with it.
Not too sure though.

#366 2011-03-07 21:24:10

archmage
Scratcher

Well pokemon uses a very basic tile map which doesn't allow the player to stay between more than 1 tile. Look at locomule's version, its the same as that except in pokemon there is a walking animation when moving in to a new tile. I'll code it, it won't be too hard. The interfaces are going to take longer to code.

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-07 21:24:40)

#367 2011-03-07 21:57:02

kayybee
Scratcher

Okay, so can I use all my 18 tilesets?
It's only around 10,000 tiles.

tongue  JK, I probably only need 400-500.

So, when are you making the new thread?

#368 2011-03-07 22:50:31

archmage
Scratcher

All the tiles in the original pokemon game was less than 500 kb so that should be fine. I'll make the thread when I am ready to code the tilemap thing.

#369 2011-03-09 16:32:15

archmage
Scratcher

Pokemon thread is out, check the collaboration forums to be a part of it.

#370 2011-03-11 20:46:18

soupoftomato
Scratcher

mkolpnji wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Did you just stop playing the game just because of the town?
No offense, but saying that the game wasn't enjoyable just because you didn't like how the town looked is kind of... well yeah.
What other things made it unenjoyable? Try and give more constructive criticism.

Yes, I stopped playing cause it it felt crowded and unorganized. It set the tone of the game for me.

You should make building smaller (and pixel artish?) and get more organized.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#371 2011-03-11 20:52:21

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I played until game-over (which wasn't long).

I think that for the tone you set in the game, the story is a bit too loose. The town still needs work (I think a lot of it was because of the huge and untrimmed words). Also, it needs to be more obvious what to do first. "Can I get a new monster yet?" "Are new moves necessary?" "Can I hold up in a fight?" (Which you can't at the very beginning I learned.) So you need a bit of guidance near the beginning. Maybe a small tutorial that explains each section and guides you through it?

Hope this helps.

And if your still complaining, at least it's more constructive than half a million "I love this cause it's archmage" comments.

Last edited by soupoftomato (2011-03-11 20:55:47)

#372 2011-03-11 21:06:15

archmage
Scratcher

Just so you know, game over doesn't mean its done. Press green flag and heal at the hospital to come back to life.

Yeah I agree that some of the art is rushed and Scratch's screen is small. With more time Animagus could have made something really great.

As for tutorials I wanted to put that in but again no time to do so.

Really the game is pretty short if you know what you are doing so I wanted players to explore the game and find ways to beat it on their own.

Thank you for your input  smile

#373 2011-03-11 22:37:55

mkolpnji
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

I played until game-over (which wasn't long).

I think that for the tone you set in the game, the story is a bit too loose. The town still needs work (I think a lot of it was because of the huge and untrimmed words). Also, it needs to be more obvious what to do first. "Can I get a new monster yet?" "Are new moves necessary?" "Can I hold up in a fight?" (Which you can't at the very beginning I learned.) So you need a bit of guidance near the beginning. Maybe a small tutorial that explains each section and guides you through it?

Hope this helps.

And if your still complaining, at least it's more constructive than half a million "I love this cause it's archmage" comments.

We kind of did rush it towards the end. Mainly because we all weren't aware of the actual due date of the project, and only found out perhaps a day or two before.

I wonder if I should improve some things later on and fix some bugs. (exp currently isn't shared between monsters)

And it's quite easy to hold up in a fight, you start out with 3 potions, which heals 100 health. And after going into the dojo and buying good moves, it gets kind of hard to lose to regular enemies.

#374 2011-03-14 14:50:09

archmage
Scratcher

==Remarks from the Scratch Team==

You must all be proud to have created such an amazing game. I can also tell a lot of time and work were invested in putting this together. You might also want to explain how you all worked together in your project description. Perhaps others can learn from your collaborative process. The introductory story at the beginning of the game sets the stage very nicely. I appreciate the skip button too during this section. As you build up your monster, you become more invested in its success and it moti

#375 2011-03-14 15:13:33

mkolpnji
Scratcher

big_smile
We got featured!

Board footer