This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#301 2011-03-02 21:08:17

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

archmage wrote:

mkolpnji wrote:

archmage wrote:

How do you feel about calling it a final version once the victory and loss images are done? Would it be ok if I uploaded the project to my account or should it be uploaded to another account?

Yeah, that works.
Also, we still need to implement a back button during battle. The problem is, if you don't have any items, and you click on the items button, you get stuck.

And I think it would be best uploaded to your account. That way we get more views.  tongue

So you want to do the back button thing?

Uh.
Sure.
I'll also implement a "save" button "kinda".
Basically you click the save button and it prepares the project for saving. That way, people don't get messed up variable displays.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#302 2011-03-02 21:28:31

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Okay done.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1631905

archmage, after you're done editing the win and lose buttons.
Make sure to click the "prepare_for_upload" broadcast in the admin tools.

#303 2011-03-02 21:47:53

kayybee
Scratcher

need any last minute help? i finished mine, so i'm done with it.

#304 2011-03-02 22:20:06

archmage
Scratcher

Final version is done and uploading to my account as well as uploaded to replace the original submission.

Good job team  smile

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#305 2011-03-02 22:25:16

archmage
Scratcher

Also I added cheats. If you type missingno while the project is running you can call any broadcast in the project. I have made all admin commands broadcasts and added 2 cheats "hacks_powerup" and "hacks_money".

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#306 2011-03-02 22:42:29

archmage
Scratcher

Winning screen is kind of messed up  tongue  May fix this later but even without a win screen I think this game is good.

#307 2011-03-02 23:41:50

Necromaster
Scratcher

You guys are so gonna win. I just know it.  tongue

#308 2011-03-02 23:55:24

kayybee
Scratcher

Well, thanks for the encouragement.

We think so too.

But why should we not?  tongue

#309 2011-03-03 03:07:24

archmage
Scratcher

Lol the deadline is extended to the fourth... all that lost sleep for nothing.

The game needs a proper ending screen, kayybee if you could do that, it would be super great of you  smile

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-03 03:08:18)

#310 2011-03-03 03:24:35

archmage
Scratcher

Also thinking of putting some little things in the game like Missingno. Right now if you type out missingno you can bring up the commands input box but it would be cool if you could fight a missingno.

I am going to explain how missingno was activated in the original pokemon games its pretty interesting  smile

First you go talk to the old man in viridian city and he teaches you the basics of catching pokemon. When the old man is showing you this, your name changes from whatever it was two OLD MAN. Your original name is stored in the list variable that normally keeps track of what pokemon appear in tall grass. Every time you enter an area with tall grass this list variable is given a new set of values that say which monsters should appear. Normally since areas with tall grass fill the "tall grass" list with monsters this should be a problem but there is one area that doesn't not set this list and has an area that acts as tall grass. On the coast of cinibar island the tiles are miscoded so that they behave like grass. Normally, this coast area takes the "tall grass" values of whatever area the player last visited. When you use the OLD MAN however, your name is temporary stored in this "tall grass" list so the game will look for pokemon with the ID numbers of the characters in your name! So sometimes when you use the old man then go to cinibar you will see weird pokemon like squirtle because the game is trying to convert the player's name into numbers, when it can't convert the player's name it brings up a MissingNo.
</end missingno explanation>

I have trying brining up a missingno in the Collab Monsters game but it just shows a blank for the enemy and automatically finishes the battle. Thinking of making missingno a secret boss  smile

#311 2011-03-03 09:14:15

mkolpnji
Scratcher

V36 (I think?)
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/mkolpnji_test/1632680

Used animagus' enhanced graphics
Fixed winning screen bug.
Fixed heal and invigorate bug for enemy.
Changed warp back to heartless angel.

#312 2011-03-03 10:03:09

kayybee
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

The game needs a proper ending screen, kayybee if you could do that, it would be super great of you  smile

like when you defeat all the lords?

#313 2011-03-03 12:30:50

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

archmage wrote:

Yeah, right now the screen just flashes  tongue

#314 2011-03-03 15:08:53

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

kayybee wrote:

archmage wrote:

Yeah, right now the screen just flashes  tongue

oh Animagus already made a winning screen I think.
He also made a losing screen.

#315 2011-03-03 15:52:19

archmage
Scratcher

Wow I found a massive oversight. Most battle forumlas rely on the player's monster's level to do damage. Well I found that the variable for player level was not being set in battles! This explains why a level 100 monster will do 15 damage and a level 5 can do 5 damage, while enemies are fully powered up.

#316 2011-03-03 15:53:28

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Wow I found a massive oversight. Most battle forumlas rely on the player's monster's level to do damage. Well I found that the variable for player level was not being set in battles! This explains why a level 100 monster will do 15 damage and a level 5 can do 5 damage, while enemies are fully powered up.

huh what.
I thought I fixed that some time ago.
Huh, anyway fixing.

#317 2011-03-03 16:05:31

archmage
Scratcher

Yeah in the change monster broadcast it sets all relevant variables except the monster's level. I think I coded that so its all my fault  tongue

I also noticed something kind of bad about the code. It uses the change_monster broadcast to trigger monster stamping and to set the player's stats. So it set the players stats twice when the battle begins because that broadcast is called 2 times, once to stamp the player and once to stamp the enemy. It works fine but don't take that as an example of how to program.

Also the code on the stage is becoming unmanageable. I think that all the broadcasts for the moves should be moved to one blank sprite like the admin tools.

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-03 16:08:49)

#318 2011-03-03 16:24:08

archmage
Scratcher

These are not bugs but things I think should be changed:

-Flame Wave is a horrible move, the accuracy or power needs to be increased
-The dark lords are too easy IMO

Later today I will add a missingno a secert superboss that appears after the dark lord is dead. It will be level 146 like in the original pokemon games.

#319 2011-03-03 16:45:46

archmage
Scratcher

Hey guys I got us curated.

Comment from the current curator:

HiccupHaddokthe3rd HiccupHaddokt… 4 minutes ago

this is epic! awesome! pure coolness! and only 40 views! perfect to curate!

#320 2011-03-03 17:07:03

mkolpnji
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

These are not bugs but things I think should be changed:

-Flame Wave is a horrible move, the accuracy or power needs to be increased
-The dark lords are too easy IMO

Later today I will add a missingno a secert superboss that appears after the dark lord is dead. It will be level 146 like in the original pokemon games.

I'm editing the project right now, i'll raise the accuracy a little.
For the dark lords, I'll raise their levels so that each will be 10 * instead.
that way, we'll have a level 10 miffin, a level 20 kayabee, etc.

I'm currently adding a few moves, and a new status effect, confuse (works just like in pokemon  tongue )

And that's awesome how we got curated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also changed speed back to how it is in pokemon. I know that we should be more original, but speed was near useless before, causing moves like slow to be useless for enemies, and rotaran to be a pretty horrible monster.

Last edited by mkolpnji (2011-03-03 17:09:48)

#321 2011-03-03 17:24:01

archmage
Scratcher

Yeah I didn't put too much thought into the speed stat. Just make sure whatever changes to speed you make doesn't break things. I just went with that particular function for speed because it was simple.

#322 2011-03-03 17:53:07

mkolpnji
Scratcher

V37 is uploading to my test account as I speak.

Updates:
-Two new attacks: Fortify (defense up) and confuse (confuses enemies)
-New status effect, confuse, works like in pokemon
-Changed the shop to work like the dojo.
-New item, heal balls, they restore status to normal.
-Added one more item button.
-Fixed glitch where the back button would appear once a monster died, allowing you to use moves with a dead monster.
-Raised Flame Wave's accuracy.
-Raised dark lord's levels.
-Other random stuff I've forgotten about.

#323 2011-03-03 18:09:38

archmage
Scratcher

Good stuff, I think there would be a better name for the status restore than heal balls because they could become confused with monster capture balls. Something like elixir or restore berry would be better I think.

I also think there should be a tutorial. It would just take you though all the battle options and the stuff on the main map. It would be a slideshow like the intro.

#324 2011-03-03 18:50:21

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

Do we need any more monsters?

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#325 2011-03-03 18:55:49

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

Also my name is spelled 'Miffin'

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png