This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-01-29 13:02:43

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

Do you want your username changed?

Then vote for my suggestion here.

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

#2 2011-01-31 12:37:35

jbthegreat
Scratcher

Re: Do you want your username changed?

But what if people spam and then change?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2f04pdf.jpghttp://i52.tinypic.com/x2rrdu.jpg

#3 2011-01-31 12:43:41

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Eh, with our current architecture, that would be really tricky.  sad  You see, a lot of the inner workings of the Scratch website depend on the user's name being constant. So to change that would be really hard.

One thing to research to help your suggestion would be to look for other online communities that do allow users to change their usernames... None come to my mind right off the bat. But if there are other examples, we could check out the way they do it, and see if it would be possible for us to do something similar.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#4 2011-01-31 12:58:44

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

You can try Stencyl
I got my name changed fro Blade Edge to just Blade, but there was some file process thing I also had to switch.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#5 2011-01-31 18:44:32

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Eh, with our current architecture, that would be really tricky.  sad  You see, a lot of the inner workings of the Scratch website depend on the user's name being constant. So to change that would be really hard.

One thing to research to help your suggestion would be to look for other online communities that do allow users to change their usernames... None come to my mind right off the bat. But if there are other examples, we could check out the way they do it, and see if it would be possible for us to do something similar.

Uh... maybe instead of changing the whole username, it just changes the name we see? The Scratch system would still process the username as before, but the username it displays is different? Sort of like RuneScape  tongue

I wish I could change my username - at the time I created my account I thought Scratch was one of those little things and didn't care about my account much ^_^

Nah, I wouldn't change it - that would be 'rewriting history' xD

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#6 2011-01-31 19:03:27

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Lightnin wrote:

Twitter actually allows you to change your username. It's lovely, really.

#7 2013-03-19 20:18:15

awsomeminecraft
New Scratcher

yes i want a different username

#8 2013-03-19 20:27:20

BLU_Spy
Scratcher

That would cause a lot of confusion.

Don't support.

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS! My new username is NoxSpooth.

#9 2013-03-20 02:58:19

northmeister
Scratcher

awsomeminecraft wrote:

yes i want a different username

Necropost, since this suggestion has already been declined.

And why do you want to change it if you only registered on Scratch a couple of hours before you posted that anyway?

http://i48.tinypic.com/5a25g5.png

#10 2013-04-23 09:30:49

Failord
Scratcher

-It won't let me comment there-

You can do this if you're willing to do a lot of work.
1. Make new account.
2. Make announcement projects on both profiles, cross-linked in the notes.
3. Remix all your projects to the new profile.
4. Delete all but your announcement project from the old profile.
5. Be active and re-achieve Scratcher status.

Of course, your friends/followers will need to update, but if they're really dedicated, they'll follow your explanation project to find you again.

...So yes, you CAN change your username. It's just a lot of work and the old one will haunt your older projects for all eternity.

#11 2013-04-23 17:30:28

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Failord wrote:

1. Make new account.

Of course, your friends/followers will need to update, but if they're really dedicated, they'll follow your explanation project to find you again.

...So yes, you CAN change your username. It's just a lot of work and the old one will haunt your older projects for all eternity.

I think you need to change the names of your projects to gibberish like aoitujoamiuvrai before you delete, as I don't think it allows projects with the same name.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#12 2013-04-23 22:19:41

GalacticJourney
New Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

Failord wrote:

1. Make new account.

I think you need to change the names of your projects to gibberish like aoitujoamiuvrai before you delete, as I don't think it allows projects with the same name.

Probably the best thing to do here. Although my thoughts are tuning to no on this, just because the Scratch Tesm would have to reset everything, from gallery ownership names to comments from the users. I see them have trouble on updating everything the user had done when they change their icons. I think I would be too much to put on the S.T.

#13 2013-04-27 23:16:47

Failord
Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

No, I have a project named Asteroid Avoider. There are about a million games on Scratch with the exact same name.

#14 2013-04-28 11:09:37

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Failord wrote:

Hyperbola wrote:

No, I have a project named Asteroid Avoider. There are about a million games on Scratch with the exact same name.

Hmm, might just be for the same user.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#15 2013-04-28 20:57:50

Failord
Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

Hmm, might just be for the same user.

Exactly; gibberish renaming isn't necessary because your new username IS a new user.

Board footer