This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#8476 2012-08-24 19:05:52

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Re: Minecraft Official Topic

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

kimmy123 wrote:

Where do you think you will fight The Wither?

The Nether, unless a new dimension is added.  The End is out of the question, and the Wither is an awesome (sorry, I am usually awed by the creepy, mysterious, etc. creatures and such) and incredibly dark boss mob.  The Overworld is literally incapable of taking such dark and border-horror-themed... things.  While I am greatly opposed to any linear-ness in Minecraft, I admit that I do hope that some little bit of story is at some point added.  With the way that Villagers are rapidly becoming more 'sentient', they might be an ideal device to tell a backstory, in a similar method as Half-Life (but less linear and interactive/important).  Like off-hand mentions about an old friend who was killed/infected by a zombie or a librarian who references some old civilization that built the Strongholds and maybe some NPC who stands around End Portals and laments the death of everyone by Ender Dragon, or a wandering Herobrine-like NPC that wanders the Nether and scolds the Player for allowing the Nether into the Overworld (updates have been making this last one more and more possible, what with the whole Zombie Pigman spawning in the Overworld from Nether Portals and mobs being able to use Nether Portals).  I think that this kind of thing could be done without adding a linear feel to Minecraft while providing a backstory.  And yes, sorry, I'm better at writing about darkness and impending doom than any good things, as you'll note from my examples.  But anyway, yeah, I would like some explanation for the End and Nether.  Oh, and maybe some very obscure references to the old non-Zombie Pigmen, maybe who used to inhabit the Overworld until something happened regarding a Nether Portal and they all 'withered away' (got killed by the Wither) and were trapped in the Nether, and still try to escape, despite their broken minds.  And yeah, I'm just going to stop typing before I start writing a horror book that gets me banned from Scratch.  Well, I suppose I could always take this to the Creepypasta topic.  And- okay, SHUT UP, ME!  JUST HIT SUBMIT!  Yes, I actually just- ugh, just hit the button!

O.o
If you say so I guess
I'd like some sort of plot (it'd be cool and useful for adventure maps if in creative you could set NPC dialogue)
But that's horific
Some of it'd be okay, but shouldn't Minecraft have a happy fantasy plot? :C

That wasn't horrific in any way.

That was "a few block shaped people died 100 years ago, MONSTERS"

If you lived that long ago you gonna be dead.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#8477 2012-08-24 19:06:21

jukyter
Scratcher

It would be interesting if it did, but I see your point
That's for mods to do!
Though I think it'd be cool if you could add dialogue to NPCs

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#8478 2012-08-24 19:13:21

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

kimmy123 wrote:

If they were to add a new dimension, possibly a plant-themed dimension. Put leaves into the shape of a nether portal and instead of lighting on fire, plant seeds on either of the bottom leaves. Then all the leaves turn into either a new block, or mossy cobble. As opposed to the boiling, dangerous world of the nether, the plant dimension would be calm, serene, and peaceful. It would just have grass, small hills, and dozens of jungle trees as far as the eye can see.

So why a plant-themed dimension?

The Witherbig_smile

It would be right there as soon as you entered the dimension. Once you destroy it, bizarre, but peaceful mobs start to appear. Think Grass-Type Pokemon to get a vague idea at what kind of creatures I mean.

#8479 2012-08-24 19:22:16

jukyter
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

kimmy123 wrote:

If they were to add a new dimension, possibly a plant-themed dimension. Put leaves into the shape of a nether portal and instead of lighting on fire, plant seeds on either of the bottom leaves. Then all the leaves turn into either a new block, or mossy cobble. As opposed to the boiling, dangerous world of the nether, the plant dimension would be calm, serene, and peaceful. It would just have grass, small hills, and dozens of jungle trees as far as the eye can see.

The Witherbig_smile

It would be right there as soon as you entered the dimension. Once you destroy it, bizarre, but peaceful mobs start to appear. Think Grass-Type Pokemon to get a vague idea at what kind of creatures I mean.

Haha, that'd be cool
Unfortunately jeb_ said no more dimensions until the current ones are cool :C
Though another Nether portal'd be boring-perhaps if you smelted melons/the other crops but wheat you got 'Portal Sapling'-place it on dirt and it'd ne a sapling
If two of their leaves touched you'd put hoed ground between the land and fully grow some crops

#8480 2012-08-24 19:31:42

geohendan
Scratcher

How is the Wither going to tie in with the "story" of minecraft, like you have to first go to the Nether to get to the End? Will there be a new recipe for Ender Eyes? If it's gonna be in the Nether, you're probably going to have to defeat it before the Ender Dragon.

Last edited by geohendan (2012-08-24 19:32:05)

Scratching that nasty wart on my back since 2009!
http://i.imgur.com/OzpGtWV.jpg

#8481 2012-08-24 19:47:21

jukyter
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

The Nether, unless a new dimension is added.  The End is out of the question, and the Wither is an awesome (sorry, I am usually awed by the creepy, mysterious, etc. creatures and such) and incredibly dark boss mob.  The Overworld is literally incapable of taking such dark and border-horror-themed... things.  While I am greatly opposed to any linear-ness in Minecraft, I admit that I do hope that some little bit of story is at some point added.  With the way that Villagers are rapidly becoming more 'sentient', they might be an ideal device to tell a backstory, in a similar method as Half-Life (but less linear and interactive/important).  Like off-hand mentions about an old friend who was killed/infected by a zombie or a librarian who references some old civilization that built the Strongholds and maybe some NPC who stands around End Portals and laments the death of everyone by Ender Dragon, or a wandering Herobrine-like NPC that wanders the Nether and scolds the Player for allowing the Nether into the Overworld (updates have been making this last one more and more possible, what with the whole Zombie Pigman spawning in the Overworld from Nether Portals and mobs being able to use Nether Portals).  I think that this kind of thing could be done without adding a linear feel to Minecraft while providing a backstory.  And yes, sorry, I'm better at writing about darkness and impending doom than any good things, as you'll note from my examples.  But anyway, yeah, I would like some explanation for the End and Nether.  Oh, and maybe some very obscure references to the old non-Zombie Pigmen, maybe who used to inhabit the Overworld until something happened regarding a Nether Portal and they all 'withered away' (got killed by the Wither) and were trapped in the Nether, and still try to escape, despite their broken minds.  And yeah, I'm just going to stop typing before I start writing a horror book that gets me banned from Scratch.  Well, I suppose I could always take this to the Creepypasta topic.  And- okay, SHUT UP, ME!  JUST HIT SUBMIT!  Yes, I actually just- ugh, just hit the button!

O.o
If you say so I guess
I'd like some sort of plot (it'd be cool and useful for adventure maps if in creative you could set NPC dialogue)
But that's horific

Also Herobrine in vanilla

#8482 2012-08-24 19:49:45

777w
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

jukyter wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horific

Also Herobrine in vanilla

eww

#8483 2012-08-24 20:10:15

maxskywalker
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

kimmy123 wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horific

I'm assuming that by 'horrific' you meant it more in the sense of 'horror'.  I said it before (I thought), my mind creates more dark, melancholy or depressing feels and stories.  The Nether was actually originally called 'Hell', so it makes more sense for it to be like that, but yeah, I actually have some very minor anxiety disorders, so yeah, I don't really do so well at creating happy, lighthearted plots.  I was just jotting down examples; go ahead, mentally fill in some more, happy examples.  But yeah... Zombie Pigmen were a bit dark overkill.  And yes, I've used 'but yeah' way to many times in this post.  Anyway... let me thing...

Villager children ask you to play tag? (Or that just prompts Majora's Mask thoughts, which many associate with BEN creepypasta, and in Japanese it basically means 'pretend to be a demon', and- see?  I told you!  That's just what happens when I try to make something happy!)

Farmers will talk about the good year/good wheat-growing (BTW, think that they will ever know when you steal their crops)?

Villager children will say 'it's my birthday!' and such?

This is taking way to long, so I'm just going to say, fill in some happy things yourself, because I am clearly hopeless at these things.

#8484 2012-08-24 20:23:23

kimmy123
Scratcher

I drew the Wither. :}
http://i.imgur.com/4vllk.png

http://i.imgur.com/Mg3TPIE.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/rgyzXV5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/685FKVd.pnghttp://24.media.tumblr.com/8678e33865664f328e1654109679cb92/tumblr_mm1qu3jGD71s8caito3_r1_250.gif

#8485 2012-08-24 20:40:32

Bklecka
Scratcher

kimmy123 wrote:

WOW!
nice job there

http://i48.tinypic.com/106ijc9.jpg

#8486 2012-08-24 20:58:31

Cozyhut3
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horific

I'm assuming that by 'horrific' you meant it more in the sense of 'horror'.  I said it before (I thought), my mind creates more dark, melancholy or depressing feels and stories.  The Nether was actually originally called 'Hell', so it makes more sense for it to be like that, but yeah, I actually have some very minor anxiety disorders, so yeah, I don't really do so well at creating happy, lighthearted plots.  I was just jotting down examples; go ahead, mentally fill in some more, happy examples.  But yeah... Zombie Pigmen were a bit dark overkill.  And yes, I've used 'but yeah' way to many times in this post.  Anyway... let me thing...

Villager children ask you to play tag? (Or that just prompts Majora's Mask thoughts, which many associate with BEN creepypasta, and in Japanese it basically means 'pretend to be a demon', and- see?  I told you!  That's just what happens when I try to make something happy!)

Farmers will talk about the good year/good wheat-growing (BTW, think that they will ever know when you steal their crops)?

This is taking way to long, so I'm just going to say, fill in some happy things yourself, because I am clearly hopeless at these things.

I feel kind of bad for you and those anxiety issues. :C Just imagine you're in a nice log cabin, watching HGTV on an HD flatscreen, eating hot cookies and drinking chilling milk, and to top it off, there's a puppy sleeping on your lap. :')

But seriously, I'd really eat up all that stuff with the villagers. It would make them seem more real.

-----------------------

What's your favorite part of the new snapshot? I've always wanted to shrink down and be tiny, but arguably, invisibility is just as fun. I mean really, you can run circles around monsters without them noticing you. You can be a pair of pants that can run, jump, and basically just galavant through an entire village. YOU CAN JUST BE FREAKING INVISIBLE AND HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST FREAKING INVISIBLE. (Lolwut?) Oh, and do me a favor and throw an invisibility splash potion at a sheep. Just do it. I dare you. :3

#8487 2012-08-24 21:49:21

imnotbob
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horific

Yeah same here except I try not to be too dark
And sometimes I wind up looking like a happy idiot

PesterChum Handle: annoyingAnchorman
durp yo terezi sup sup gotta beat john gotta beat john

#8488 2012-08-24 22:12:21

jakeemma
Scratcher

razor2 wrote:

I successfully raided my first temple

Congratulations! What did you find and what type of temple was it? Jungle Temple or Desert Temple (Pyramid)?

Whoop em' Gangnam Style!

#8489 2012-08-24 22:38:38

shpeters
Scratcher

Cozyhut3 wrote:

kimmy123 wrote:

The Witherbig_smile

I like that idea. A peaceful happy place that just happens to host a lethal monster. It reminds me of a horror movie.

http://i.imgur.com/bboYO.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/66Yki.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/uLUsl.jpg

#8490 2012-08-25 06:08:45

werdna123
Scratcher

shpeters wrote:

Cozyhut3 wrote:

kimmy123 wrote:

The Witherbig_smile

I like that idea. A peaceful happy place that just happens to host a lethal monster. It reminds me of a horror movie.

That would be cool, it could be a very jungle-y sort of place, with birds. And lots of food, but it's all poisonous. o: Somewhat like the jungle in the Hunger Games book, Catching Fire.

#8491 2012-08-25 06:33:17

werdna123
Scratcher

I love the dyed armour. Just imagine, "The Yellow Cap Cult" on faction servers.  big_smile

#8492 2012-08-25 08:12:03

jukyter
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horrific

Like, you fight the Wither and the zombie pigmen all heal and become pigmen! :3
And there are some tribes of zombie pigmen, but you can fight their Wither and they become pigmen (technically this implies some dark things but ignore this)! :3
Yes, I am focused on pigmen, okay?  tongue
Then again, MC is becoming darker. Villager zombies. :C
And armoured zombies! :C
Maybe like diamond armour zombies (if they exist?) you can knock their armour off and they become villagers/NPCs!

#8493 2012-08-25 08:49:38

soupoftomato
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

jukyter wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

O.o
If you say so I guess
But that's horific

I think you may be creating the depressed of every idea you have.

"Quest from Majora's Mask where you play tag" is in no way scary, no one would associate it with fright. But you tried to hard and found "BEN" which, uh, no one really cares about or is scared of.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#8494 2012-08-25 09:05:59

razor2
Scratcher

jakeemma wrote:

razor2 wrote:

I successfully raided my first temple

Congratulations! What did you find and what type of temple was it? Jungle Temple or Desert Temple (Pyramid)?

Desert. I was forced to hide inside one night, and 3 zombies attacked me. Also, I saw an enderman.  yikes

Help my collab:http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=113553

#8495 2012-08-25 09:13:37

werdna123
Scratcher

1.4 makes mob grinders drop much less xp if you farm them continuously.

#8496 2012-08-25 09:21:34

geohendan
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

I love the dyed armour. Just imagine, "The Yellow Cap Cult" on faction servers.  big_smile

Or Team Red and Team Blue from TF2  big_smile

Scratching that nasty wart on my back since 2009!
http://i.imgur.com/OzpGtWV.jpg

#8497 2012-08-25 09:34:14

ImagineIt
Scratcher

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO HARD?????

Last edited by ImagineIt (2012-08-25 09:34:36)

#8498 2012-08-25 10:32:12

CN12
Scratcher

kimmy123 wrote:

Woah. Very good!

Click this on April 15th to see the new album from The 10th Dimension!
http://oi48.tinypic.com/23tqhyw.jpg

#8499 2012-08-25 10:38:18

Nomolos
Scratcher

I am a bit new to Minecraft. How do you open doors and how do you stop flying? When I went on a creative server for the first time, I started flying and couldn't stop! A creeper got into my house too.  sad

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#8500 2012-08-25 10:58:46

Bklecka
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

I am a bit new to Minecraft. How do you open doors and how do you stop flying? When I went on a creative server for the first time, I started flying and couldn't stop! A creeper got into my house too.  sad

double tap space bar to stop flying.
right click on door to open it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/106ijc9.jpg

Board footer