This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-31 15:30:12

jsimone
Scratcher

When the bat speaks

Has anyone noticed that because of the sprite's bounding box, when the bat issues a "say"  the bubble is nowhere near the bat itself?

Try this:
   import bat1-a
   say "hello"

The bubble is way up on the left wingtip.

Now this:
   import bat1-b
   say "hello"

the bubble is not even close to the bat ... way up in the top left of the bounding box.

and Finally this:
   import bat1-a
   import costume bat1-b

repeat 10
  say "hello"
  next costume
  wait 1 second

the say bubble varies from one costume to the next ... from one place to another ... nowhere near the bat's mouth - where you would expect the bat to speak from.

What can be done to fix this strange bounding-box effect when doing a "say" or "think"?

The same thing happens with shark1-c.  The bubble appears behind the shark's tail.  If we move the center point to the mouth of shark1-c, then the say bubble moves closer to the mouth of the shark.

Is there something wrong with the graphic?  Is this a bug or feature of Scratch?

#2 2007-05-31 15:41:37

ernestpazera
Scratcher

Re: When the bat speaks

My recommendation:

Make a 1x1 pixel transparent PNG file and import that as a sprite.

Move it where ever you want the bubble to go.

Use the say or think.

#3 2007-05-31 15:51:07

jsimone
Scratcher

Re: When the bat speaks

ernestpazera,
Hmmm, that would imply moving the transparent pixel around with the sprite as the sprite moves.

While this may seem like a work-around, I don't know that I want to explain this to the kids I teach.  Nor, would they be willing to move this "pixel" with their sprites everywhere.

Board footer